Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cost of respraying a motorcycle?

• 17-06-2014 10:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am toying with the idea of respraying my bandit and just want to get an idea of costs? I am thinking of changing from light blue to a back frame, with dark red tank/mudguards/cowl...

What kind of money does a bodyshop charge?

cheers
    H

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Do a search for the tallaght motorbike paintshop, they do a lot of the paint work for the shops in the dublin region, if that's where you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Trebob

KTRIC wrote: »
    Do a search for the tallaght motorbike paintshop, they do a lot of the paint work for the shops in the dublin region, if that's where you are.

I got a quote from tallaght for an sv650s 400-500 depending on what body work may need to be done too (scratches ect) was just one color though.

Trebob wrote: »
    I got a quote from tallaght for an sv650s 400-500 depending on what body work may need to be done too (scratches ect) was just one color though.

Was that a respray or colour change ?

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Trebob

Was that a respray or colour change ?

Was for a respray not a bad price I thought.

Trebob wrote: »
    Was for a respray not a bad price I thought.

Pretty good so ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,686 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Anyone ever do it themselves ? I researched it last year and worked out that even using the best of primers and paints and buying a decent spray gun it could be done for €150-200. Plenty of stencils and decals online too if you want more than one colour. I'd say the tricky part would be getting the tank off and making sure not a speckle of paint ends up insides it. There's lots of vids on YouTube of lads doing it and while it's not an easy job it's not beyond most people either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Muahahaha wrote: »
    ...using the best of primers and paints and buying a decent spray gun it could be done for €150-200...

Could you tell me how you break that down?? I've rubbed down and prepped a few bits and pieces to give to my painter over the years. I always wanted to learn more about painting but I always concluded that unless you had access to a location and the equipment that it was simply not viable.

My missus sprayed her old chopper herself in a booth with all the proper gear and it turned out just ok, mind you it was matte paint.

I'd be more inclined to hand the body work over to a pro to get it done right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,686 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

cantdecide wrote: »
    Could you tell me how you break that down?? I've rubbed down and prepped a few bits and pieces to give to my painter over the years. I always wanted to learn more about painting but I always concluded that unless you had access to a location and the equipment that it was simply not viable.

I just scouted online for sprays guns and paints. I came across a good few American based sites selling both at pretty cheap decent prices, there was a couple of .co.uk sites too. I'm sorry I didn't bookmark them now as the names escape me.
    As for location well I'd figured on building a spray room out of a wooden frame and then use a roll or two of decorators plastic, the stuff they use for covering floors or furniture when painting.

It was just something I researched at the time. I watched a good few YouTube vids on it and there are some really good custom painters out there showing how they do their work and achieve a shiny wet finish. Like I said I don't think it is an easy or small job but with a bit of research and planning you could do it yourself over a weekend.

This was one of the vids I watched, it's a bit long at 21 minutes but the end result is stunning- they customise a Yamaha R1 using a chameleon paint that changes colour with the angle of the light, it goes from blue to purple to green. The two lads got it done in 6 hours which was pretty good going.

Anybody any experience with the Tallaght Motorcycle Paint Shop ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Anybody any experience with the Tallaght Motorcycle Paint Shop ??

Probably too far away but Andy Gray in Cork is very good!

blade1 wrote: »
    Probably too far away but Andy Gray in Cork is very good!

Yes, he would be ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

I am in Waterford so Cork aint too far for me to stick the frame into the van and spin down... i take it you have to have it fully stripped and prepped to make the job cheaper yea?

H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭neamhspleachi

Would powder coating the frame be an option?

Irish Metal Finishing have a premises at

Waterford Plating Ltd.
    605 IDA Industrial Estate,
    Northern Extension

http://www.imf.ie/asp/default.asp?p=7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

Would powder coating the frame be an option?

Irish Metal Finishing have a premises at

Waterford Plating Ltd.
    605 IDA Industrial Estate,
    Northern Extension

http://www.imf.ie/asp/default.asp?p=7

Ohhh nice one, they are only up the road from me by the looks of things.. i might drop into them and have a chat, Thanks for that!

H

Advertisement