Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best clothing option for IM

Options
  • 17-06-2014 11:06pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭

Getting close to Frankfurt now. Just a quick question for everyone,tri suit or tri shorts with cycling jersey for bike.
    The reason I'm thinking of the latter is because I don't think I can fit all my nutrition into the feed bag on the bike. I can have my jersey pre loaded and just throw on a singlet for the run.

Are the Germans anal about being bare chested in transition if I go with option B?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

They have modesty tents you can be naked in there and noone will bat an eye.

Trisuits have pockets?

You can tape your food to the top tube of the bike - many do.

Or change your clothing completely at each transition. Again, many do. It depends how much time you want to waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

You can be bollock naked in IMde. I remember being in T1 when a fairly hot women stripped completely naked in front of everyone.

Speedos in the swim (non-wetsuit)
    Shorts and jersey on the bike
    Chnage jersey on the waddle

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

tunney wrote: »
    You can be bollock naked in IMde. I remember being in T1 when a fairly hot women stripped completely naked in front of everyone.

Speedos in the swim (non-wetsuit)
    Shorts and jersey on the bike
    Chnage jersey on the waddle

I think we need proof

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

If its a warm day having the shoulders covered on the bike may not be a bad thing with a cycle jersey. Unsure what i will do myself, likely a)bottle filled with bars and gels b)jersey pre loaded with gear or c)tape lots of stuff to the bike and shove gels inside tri suit.

If its a warm day having the shoulders covered on the bike may not be a bad thing with a cycle jersey. Unsure what i will do myself, likely a)bottle filled with bars and gels b)jersey pre loaded with gear or c)tape lots of stuff to the bike and shove gels inside tri suit.

Sleeping bag?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

Just bought a pair of shorts so I think that's the way I'll go. Going to go for a few spins now just to check they won't chafe the gonads off of me. Was also thinking about the jersey offering slightly more protection from the sun.
    On a similar note, what bars do you use? I've used a good few at this stage and while none have had an adverse reaction I've yet to feel that any stand out either.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭bopperr

Anyone had bad experience wearing tri shorts for the full thing. Was thinking about wearing cycling shorts and changing to running shorts for Marathon/Waddle.

Only done one, but it was hot, so I was keeping the trisuit soaked with water, yet it didnt chafe much. I wore it for the whole event, but I was well used to wearing it for long rides.

bopperr wrote: »
    Anyone had bad experience wearing tri shorts for the full thing. Was thinking about wearing cycling shorts and changing to running shorts for Marathon/Waddle.

Fine, I wear speedos underneath the tri shorts to support the knackers

Rawhead wrote: »
    Just bought a pair of shorts so I think that's the way I'll go. Going to go for a few spins now just to check they won't chafe the gonads off of me. Was also thinking about the jersey offering slightly more protection from the sun.
    On a similar note, what bars do you use? I've used a good few at this stage and while none have had an adverse reaction I've yet to feel that any stand out either.

Bars in the heat..............
    heat can affect appetite hugely

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

i reckon any of the ones with table and chairs outside. nice to be able to sit there and watch the other finishers. make sure it has table service though, after that effort you odn;t want to have to be walking to the bar. if it's a hot race as well pitchers can be bad idea as the beer gets warm before you finish it.

no idea why tunney thought you meant energy bars. crazy talk.

What would you use? Gels only? Surely that would be savage hard on the Ruud Gullit.

especially when the crunchies and mars bars melt with the heat.

What would you use? Gels only? Surely that would be savage hard on the Ruud Gullit.

What have you used/tried on your long rides? Everyone is different, i normally go with a mix of gels and flapjack type bars (which i have tried and tested on long rides)

Some SIU pills washed down with a glass of hard

Or gels and carb drinks.

What have you used/tried on your long rides? Everyone is different, i normally go with a mix of gels and flapjack type bars (which i have tried and tested on long rides)

Ya, that's pretty much my fuel of choice. By bars I meant the flapjack type more than the chocolate type which I don't use. The only thing I was wondering about the oatmeal bars was the general lack of protein.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Doin Austria in a few weeks and their bar of choice is this....
    powerbar-energize-55g-bar-x-25-bars-cookies-and-cream-78181.jpg

I bought a pack and brought them on cycles. Even being next to my skin for an hour they're mushy. They're gonna be awful in 26 degree heat in Austria I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

The only thing I was wondering about the oatmeal bars was the general lack of protein.

????? During a race?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Doin Austria in a few weeks and their bar of choice is this....
    powerbar-energize-55g-bar-x-25-bars-cookies-and-cream-78181.jpg

I bought a pack and brought them on cycles. Even being next to my skin for an hour they're mushy. They're gonna be awful in 26 degree heat in Austria I'd say

Keep them wrapped until you want to eat them! :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Shedite27 wrote: »

i got a few of these recently to try (thanks mr AKW) and i don;t find them that bad. they're hard (as in solid) at normal temp, i find the bit of heat make them more manageable. i can't imagine the cookies and cream variety during exercise though, i've tried the banana, and the mango flavours.

That said, i have not tried them in 26C heat, or during an ironman. i have used them on my long spins here in 20c and they were okay, but that was only 90k ish

EC1000 wrote: »
    ????? During a race?

Similar thoughts

Ya, that's pretty much my fuel of choice. By bars I meant the flapjack type more than the chocolate type which I don't use. The only thing I was wondering about the oatmeal bars was the general lack of protein.

I don't care whats in the bars during the race:) As long as they taste nice and go down easy thats all i am concerned about. I take some solids more to keep the hunger knock at bay during the race.

Solids during an IM work for some and not for others.

Bananas are good. They always have bananas.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

hi all, glad this topic came up. Can't decide what to wear for first IM in copenhagen. Probably just few nerves kicking in.

Thinking trisuit awkward to take toilet breaks. Might go with cycle shorts for comfort and bike bib for pockets. Then change to run shorts.

Food wise fig rolls, snickers( flapjack if hot) and bananas

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

For me it's tri shorts under the wetsuit - put on bib shorts and a cycling jersey over these in T1. My knackers can't take 180km without lots of padding, although on better European surfaces this mightn't be an issue. In T2 change into fresh shorts and t-shirt or a tri suit. This takes a bit longer but I aint going to win so I'd rather be comfortable. Also consider if you're p1ssing yourself on the bike you might want clean socks and shorts for the run.

Food wise I use isogels in a water bottle on the bike. Ten gels per bottle with a swig every 20mins. I also have a 'solid' piece of food every hr, be it a banana, a few jellies or ride shots. Winegums are always good I find.

Shorts and jersey for cycle, singlet for run.
    Keeping with my granola and gel combo for bike, gels and whatever else for run.

Thanks for the help and who ever wants to know how long a piece of string is should just ask on this thread.....

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭trinewbie

No question it has to be a two piece, if you have ever had GI issues in a race you will know why. Raced in these this year:

http://www.compressport.ie/collections/body/products/triathlon-shirt
    And these:
    http://www.compressport.ie/collections/short/products/triathlon-pro-racing-short

Very impressed by both ,especially the shorts, unbelievable comfy, nice little pockets on the back of the jersey for gels and will keep the sun off the shoulder for hot races.

For IM mallorca I plan wearing a Castelli Stealth speed top over the Compressport jersey,will provide a bit of aero benefit and sun protection but will reduce acess to back pockets on jersey. (Will pull off castelli top in t2) Overheating wont be a problem as both are really good thermo regulators.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭coppinger

Clif bar blueberry crisp - wont melt, wont freeze (you never know)

• Advertisement
Advertisement