Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Merville Residences and Quinn Laptop Policy

Options
  • 18-06-2014 2:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi guys, I will be coming to UCD for exchange in sem 1. Just booked a room in House 12 in Merville. Does anybody know if it has been renovated?

Also, are students really discouraged from getting Macbooks at Quinn? If so, any advice on the what is the best option (buy through school, get it yourself etc)?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MyKos

jwjh wrote: »
    Just booked a room in House 12 in Merville. Does anybody know if it has been renovated?

Im an exchange student and booked house 8 in Merville this morning
    I'm interested in finding out which Merville houses have been renovated too-- have they all been renovated at this stage?
    All the threads which mention it seem to be about 3 years old. I had a look at the "items and furniture" list for my apartment and there is no oven in the kitchen. Does this mean it has been renovated?
    Thanks in advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 jwjh

MyKos wrote: »
    Im an exchange student and booked house 8 in Merville this morning
    I'm interested in finding out which Merville houses have been renovated too-- have they all been renovated at this stage?
    All the threads which mention it seem to be about 3 years old. I had a look at the "items and furniture" list for my apartment and there is no oven in the kitchen. Does this mean it has been renovated?
    Thanks in advance :)

Yeah, read those threads as well. Some said 12 and above were renovated while others said 15 and upwards...

No oven is a good sign though judging by the threads around here. Mine also has no oven. Let's pray for the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MyKos

Hey, I just rang up the accommodation office because curiosity was getting the better of me. They confirmed that ALL of Merville has finished being renovated. Cheers :)

MyKos wrote: »
    Hey, I just rang up the accommodation office because curiosity was getting the better of me. They confirmed that ALL of Merville has finished being renovated. Cheers :)

That's a relief. Thanks for calling. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭ucdperson

Also, are students really discouraged from getting Macbooks at Quinn?

Students can do whatever they wish in their own time. When in class they have to be suitably equipped to participate in that class.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

jwjh wrote: »
    Hi guys, I will be coming to UCD for exchange in sem 1. Just booked a room in House 12 in Merville. Does anybody know if it has been renovated?

Also, are students really discouraged from getting Macbooks at Quinn? If so, any advice on the what is the best option (buy through school, get it yourself etc)?

Thanks in advance!

You'll get on fine with a macbook as long as you have programmes like excel (or the mac equivalent). Tutors can be a bit impatient if a student with a mac has tech difficulties for things like online tests in class but you should be fine. The computer guy in Quinn is very helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

You'll get on fine with a macbook as long as you have programmes like excel (or the mac equivalent). Tutors can be a bit impatient if a student with a mac has tech difficulties for things like online tests in class but you should be fine. The computer guy in Quinn is very helpful.

And if you ever really need a normal laptop for continuos assessment or in class work etc. you can borrow one from the library

• Registered Users Posts: 48 McKrab

I used a Mac for everything last year in Quinn and there were no issues. You'll be fine.

Thanks for the responses guys. As they say, once you go mac, you never go back!

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭thisisadamh

I'm in Engineering. Some of the software required is Windows only. Just used bootcamp to dual boot windows and all is good. Windows for when I'm doing college stuff. Mac OS for everything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Kiltennel

I'm in Engineering. Some of the software required is Windows only. Just used bootcamp to dual boot windows and all is good. Windows for when I'm doing college stuff. Mac OS for everything else.

In Quinn this is only applicable to a few final year modules. If OP is here on exchange I'd imagine they'll be studying level 1 and 2 modules. OP as long as you have word, excel, and powerpoint installed you'll be fine. Make sure to register your laptop to the WiFi + ethernet system before you have your first tutorial. As said tutors can get irritated with students who haven't done this.

Kiltennel wrote: »
    In Quinn this is only applicable to a few final year modules. If OP is here on exchange I'd imagine they'll be studying level 1 and 2 modules. OP as long as you have word, excel, and powerpoint installed you'll be fine. Make sure to register your laptop to the WiFi + ethernet system before you have your first tutorial. As said tutors can get irritated with students who haven't done this.

Thanks, Kiltennel. Got it. I might be doing some level 3s so I can only hope those don't require windows-only programmes.

Advertisement