Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

fr336 wrote: »
    Hugo my man, how are things?

Hey handbagmad :)

Hey you two! :)

Not the worst here thanks Fr. How are you sir? :)

How is H? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

that's good to know thanks Hugo. I shall not blame the sweets so, its dry mouth :D

handbagmad wrote: »
    that's good to know thanks Hugo. I shall not blame the sweets so, its dry mouth :D

Those damn tasty sweets eh?! :mad::D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Hey you two! :)

Not the worst here thanks Fr. How are you sir? :)

How is H? :)

I'm still on my rollercoaster, but it's been a good year if I take everything into account. Been a year on Boards tomorrow :p:p, god I was a different person back then in terms of my anxiety progress. In some ways things have got far worse, but importantly I've got far more hope, vision and the means to pull myself up.

I'm doing ok gents, little under the weather cold n sore throat.

Or man flu to ye haha

• Advertisement

Or man flu to ye haha

Ah it's got to be better than the anxiety right?

Or man flu to ye haha

You mean to say that man-flu has jumped and infected the opposite sex?! We're doomed! :eek::D

Ah it's got to be better than the anxiety right?

certainly takes the mind of it.
    Too busy sneezing

You mean to say that man-flu has jumped and infected the opposite sex?! We're doomed! :eek::D

Yep...doomed is right. Best get to the underground bunker with the survival kit! :):)

Yep...doomed is right. Best get to the underground bunker with the survival kit! :):)

Luckily I bought a year's cache of Galaxy chocolate and Diet Coke in Tesco today. :D

• Advertisement

Luckily I bought a year's cache of Galaxy chocolate and Diet Coke in Tesco today. :D

Tesco still hanging on in there in Ireland? I hope them and the rest of their corporate chums leave Ireland alone as they all come crashing down :D (If you're not aware, Tesco's dominance in the UK has been nipped in the bid in recent times to say the least :p)

Anyway enough of my business university degree getting in the way of my weekend...

Tesco still hanging on in there in Ireland? I hope them and the rest of their corporate chums leave Ireland alone as they all come crashing down :D (If you're not aware, Tesco's dominance in the UK has been nipped in the bid in recent times to say the least :p)

Anyway enough of my business university degree getting in the way of my weekend...

I hope not! I got myself 10 litres of Diet Coke for a fiver there today.

That won't help your body much :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭CZ 453

They were out of Coca-cola and Cidona there in our local. We had to get everything else :D

That won't help your body much :p

True but no calories! :D
    CZ 453 wrote: »
    They were out of Coca-cola and Cidona there in our local. We had to get everything else :D

I thought the same here too but I went rooting around and found more! :D

I'm bollocksed lads. Gonna turn in. Night all! :)

True but no calories! :D

Pfft none at all? You sure? :P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I constantly wonder an impossible question.. Does my pain feed my mental state or vice versa? Pain has been ramping up overnight and mood has deteriorated hugely.. Catch twenty two.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Fame and Demise

Firstly, sorry for this excerpt from my autobiography :p I just want to tell my story. I don't really need advice, but if anyone has some feel free to tell me.

I have pretty severe social anxiety. I was diagnosed when I was 16, but it's obvious that it's been present since I was a "shy" child. In my teen years the only way I could deal with it without having to resort to meds was to pretty much avoid talking to people, friends and family included. That had its perks in school because teachers knew about it so I was never asked anything in class and never put on the spot. My family understood why I didn't talk and understood that it was something I had to do in order to be in control. It annoyed the hell out of the few friends that I had, but they still tried to include me in conversations, etc. That was the way it was until I was about 24, and I was content with that. Around that time my friends and siblings were starting careers or having families of their own, and generally getting on with their lives. My anxiety got a whole lot worse because I felt as though the only people who understood me were no longer part of my life. Over the next couple of years I lost pretty much all contact with my friends, but I learned to live with that. Last year I decided that I needed to get out of my comfort zone and put myself in social situations that completely terrified me in order to try and cope better with the anxiety. The way I did that was by applying to college and basically starting from square one. New location, new people who were in the same boat as me in so much that they'd know no one, etc. I started last September, and all was going well for the first week or two. I wasn't surrounded by new friends, but I managed to make a couple. The first thing I told them after meeting was about my social anxiety, just so they'd understand that when I got quiet it wasn't by choice. Problems started after a couple of weeks when my new flatmates stopped trying to get me to talk to them. I never told them about my anxiety because I was managing to make small talk without having a panic attack. We never really had a proper conversation, and I think that they thought that because of that I didn't want anything to do with them beyond talking about the weather. The last weekend of September I decided that I was going to tell them because I wasn't handling them seemingly not liking me very well. I had been at home for the weekend and when I got back to the flat they were relaxing in the living room, TV on, laptops out, cups of tea. All very cosy. It would have been a great time to tell them because it was all very laid back so it was like I would have been just casually mentioning it. Within the time it took me to roll a fag they had cleared the room. That upset me because it was then that I realised that there was no hope of friendship if they can't even stand to be in the same room as me for 30 seconds. For the past couple of months any interactions between us have consisted of me being completely silent after saying hi and them looking at me like they want to hurt me. Since that day I've had responses prepared for when they bring up how little I talk, like everyone else I've had to spend an extended period of time with. There hasn't been one mention of it from them, which is very irritating. I'd like to tell them why I don't talk. Not so much to try and salvage any sort of friendship, but as a lesson not to judge people without hearing their side of the story.

My autobiography will be available in all good books stores in time for Christmas :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34 space_LSA

that's pretty nice man,

but guys, instead of buying the sugar chocolate, buy some dark chocolate.

it makes you feel really good. and it has long lasting effects.

Firstly, sorry for this excerpt from my autobiography :p I just want to tell my story. I don't really need advice, but if anyone has some feel free to tell me.

I have pretty severe social anxiety. I was diagnosed when I was 16, but it's obvious that it's been present since I was a "shy" child. In my teen years the only way I could deal with it without having to resort to meds was to pretty much avoid talking to people, friends and family included. That had its perks in school because teachers knew about it so I was never asked anything in class and never put on the spot. My family understood why I didn't talk and understood that it was something I had to do in order to be in control. It annoyed the hell out of the few friends that I had, but they still tried to include me in conversations, etc. That was the way it was until I was about 24, and I was content with that. Around that time my friends and siblings were starting careers or having families of their own, and generally getting on with their lives. My anxiety got a whole lot worse because I felt as though the only people who understood me were no longer part of my life. Over the next couple of years I lost pretty much all contact with my friends, but I learned to live with that. Last year I decided that I needed to get out of my comfort zone and put myself in social situations that completely terrified me in order to try and cope better with the anxiety. The way I did that was by applying to college and basically starting from square one. New location, new people who were in the same boat as me in so much that they'd know no one, etc. I started last September, and all was going well for the first week or two. I wasn't surrounded by new friends, but I managed to make a couple. The first thing I told them after meeting was about my social anxiety, just so they'd understand that when I got quiet it wasn't by choice. Problems started after a couple of weeks when my new flatmates stopped trying to get me to talk to them. I never told them about my anxiety because I was managing to make small talk without having a panic attack. We never really had a proper conversation, and I think that they thought that because of that I didn't want anything to do with them beyond talking about the weather. The last weekend of September I decided that I was going to tell them because I wasn't handling them seemingly not liking me very well. I had been at home for the weekend and when I got back to the flat they were relaxing in the living room, TV on, laptops out, cups of tea. All very cosy. It would have been a great time to tell them because it was all very laid back so it was like I would have been just casually mentioning it. Within the time it took me to roll a fag they had cleared the room. That upset me because it was then that I realised that there was no hope of friendship if they can't even stand to be in the same room as me for 30 seconds. For the past couple of months any interactions between us have consisted of me being completely silent after saying hi and them looking at me like they want to hurt me. Since that day I've had responses prepared for when they bring up how little I talk, like everyone else I've had to spend an extended period of time with. There hasn't been one mention of it from them, which is very irritating. I'd like to tell them why I don't talk. Not so much to try and salvage any sort of friendship, but as a lesson not to judge people without hearing their side of the story.

My autobiography will be available in all good books stores in time for Christmas :D

Maybe you'll put some paragraphs in it so we can read it without getting a headache. *Leaves room* :P

You don't really have to explain anything to them. You have an illness. The way i'd look at it- Does a person with asthma have to go around telling people they have it just in case they get an attack. Your flatmates lack of interaction with you says more about them really. They could at least be civil and finish a conversation with you. I mean why should you have to make all the effort?

They have no power over you. You owe them no explanation. :)

• Advertisement

space_LSA wrote: »
    that's pretty nice man,

but guys, instead of buying the sugar chocolate, buy some dark chocolate.

it makes you feel really good. and it has long lasting effects.

I find the real dark chocolate to be very bitter and strong tasting though :o

• Registered Users Posts: 34 space_LSA

I find the real dark chocolate to be very bitter and strong tasting though :o

well, it may not taste that nice maybe, but it will make you feel good.
    as in, the taste of mushrooms (depending on the person) may not like a earthy taste, but its effects are good for your health.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭bleach94

the more I think about this, the more I am convinced my counsellor was wrong and that I have more than just 'mild social anxiety'.. Trouble is, I have exams next week and I'm feeling really quite terrible. I'm dreading tomorrow, going to have to hit the study for three subjects I don't fully understand, enjoy or wholly care about. I guess ploughing through the pain is the only option

bleach94 wrote: »
    the more I think about this, the more I am convinced my counsellor was wrong and that I have more than just 'mild social anxiety'.. Trouble is, I have exams next week and I'm feeling really quite terrible. I'm dreading tomorrow, going to have to hit the study for three subjects I don't fully understand, enjoy or wholly care about. I guess ploughing through the pain is the only option

Can you not submit a mitigating circumstances form for the exams? This should be standard procedure at uni / college. Submit it with just the 'social anxiety' issue or go to a doctor for further analysis and a note from them regarding exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭bleach94

Can you not submit a mitigating circumstances form for the exams? This should be standard procedure at uni / college. Submit it with just the 'social anxiety' issue or go to a doctor for further analysis and a note from them regarding exams.

I'm already halfway through my exams though. Are those sort of forms taken into account for mental issues?

I'm already halfway through my exams though. Are those sort of forms taken into account for mental issues?

They are in the UK, unsure about Ireland as I'm not from there sorry. Definitely worth a try. Sorry you have to go through this man, realise it's not your fault and you really are having issues here though.

I submitted one of those forms when in college. They can indeed be used for mental issues. They might want a letter from your doctor just to confirm that you are receiving treatment etc.

I submitted one of those forms when in college. They can indeed be used for mental issues. They might want a letter from your doctor just to confirm that you are receiving treatment etc.

I got mine simply for being diagnosed / having symptoms. Obviously don't have treatment for stuff unless you were going to do so anyway!

Can't tell you how much help breathing properly is for my (maybe quite minor, but still quite awful in my personal context) anxiety. Being overweight probably doesn't help but when I do some exercise that gets me out of breath and keep going at it, inhaling the air properly is just amazing.

• Advertisement

100% they do take into account mental issues. Get as much paper together from the relevant people(GP, Counsellor, Psychiatrist, etc.).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement