Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

How's the week treating everyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

Not well. One exception, a friend has been very kind and gone way above and beyond.

How about you Hugo?

Not well. One exception, a friend has been very kind and gone way above and beyond.

How about you Hugo?

I'm delighted to hear that you have a caring friend there :)

I'm ok. Had a few waves of panic and low mood over the week but am ok here now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭bleach94

Week's been ok, I'm confused though as I've been feeling good yet there are days/nights when I feel overcome with anxiety and worry. I don't know which side of me to take more notice of, or if I should book a counselling session or not.. :confused:

bleach94 wrote: »
    Week's been ok, I'm confused though as I've been feeling good yet there are days/nights when I feel overcome with anxiety and worry. I don't know which side of me to take more notice of, or if I should book a counselling session or not.. :confused:

I hear ya Bleach

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

A bad week for me..

i had a major panic attack on Monday and during the week had to leave having a good laugh with my mates in college because i felt my breathing difficulties starting up again.. feckin nightmare..

For the first time in months i'm having a minor panic attack in my own house :(

carzony wrote: »
    A bad week for me..

i had a major panic attack on Monday and during the week had to leave having a good laugh with my mates in college because i felt my breathing difficulties starting up again.. feckin nightmare..

For the first time in months i'm having a minor panic attack in my own house :(

Sorry to hear that C :(

Sorry to hear that C :(

i'v been avoiding it but i'll have to go back to the gp :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭alaskayoung

Pdoc has taken me off all medication for a month to get everything out of my system and I feel GREAT. Not sure if I'm still just hypomanic but haven't felt this good in at least 2 years. Yay I'm so happy, getting my life together. Feels too good to be true to be honest but if I can get through this next month of school, all will be good.

Okay I'm literally hopping off my chair and beaming. Damn, not promising haha. I'm productive as hell though!

Pdoc has taken me off all medication for a month to get everything out of my system and I feel GREAT. Not sure if I'm still just hypomanic but haven't felt this good in at least 2 years. Yay I'm so happy, getting my life together. Feels too good to be true to be honest but if I can get through this next month of school, all will be good.

Okay I'm literally hopping off my chair and beaming. Damn, not promising haha. I'm productive as hell though!

Delighted to hear that AY! :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

are you sure this isnt mania

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭heyday30

Hiya. Not good the last few days.
    Went to post office to collect my money Yesterday payments have been stopped. Received no notification at all.
    Welfare officer not in till Wednesday.
    In a ball of anxiety. And very embarrassed. Post office teller wasn't the nicest.

My mind is edging toward an I don't care about anything mode. Trying to pull it back.

Here comes another weekend! :-/
    heyday30 wrote: »
    Hiya. Not good the last few days.
    Went to post office to collect my money Yesterday payments have been stopped. Received no notification at all.
    Welfare officer not in till Wednesday.
    In a ball of anxiety. And very embarrassed. Post office teller wasn't the nicest.

My mind is edging toward an I don't care about anything mode. Trying to pull it back.

I hope you get it sorted out HD. If you feel anxious, talk it out with us here if you'd like. :)

I'm getting very angry at myself. I just want to snap out of this bout and be like a normal person. Why is that too much to ask?

And when I do eventually get around to that, it won't even make a difference because the damage is done.

I'm getting very angry at myself. I just want to snap out of this bout and be like a normal person. Why is that too much to ask?

And when I do eventually get around to that, it won't even make a difference because the damage is done.

That's something we all feel I'd bet.

Any damage can be undone though S. Nothing in permanent.

All I had to do was cop on and calm down and study. Something I've done countless times before. Now I have the long wait to confirm how badly I've done. I mean instead of being in my exam answering questions, I was sitting there moping about how awful I felt and how I should have studied. What a waste of time.

I actually just don't understand what is wrong with me. I don't get it. I know what needs to be done, but I can't seem to kick myself into action in time. Couldn't even get going early enough to make it to the health centre and now the doc's gone for the next 10 days.

I'm sorry for being so miserable and everyone here is kind so I'm sorry to keep responding like this but I've been at all my friends to the point that if I vent at them anymore I'd be afraid won't have any friends left. Which I know is awful of me and makes me a bad person because as was rightly pointed out to me, that's so offensive to presume such a bad thing of people but there you go. Can't even manage to not take advatage of peoples nice natures without offending someone.

All I had to do was cop on and calm down and study. Something I've done countless times before. Now I have the long wait to confirm how badly I've done. I mean instead of being in my exam answering questions, I was sitting there moping about how awful I felt and how I should have studied. What a waste of time.

I actually just don't understand what is wrong with me. I don't get it. I know what needs to be done, but I can't seem to kick myself into action in time. Couldn't even get going early enough to make it to the health centre and now the doc's gone for the next 10 days.

I'm sorry for being so miserable and everyone here is kind so I'm sorry to keep responding like this but I've been at all my friends to the point that if I vent at them anymore I'd be afraid won't have any friends left. Which I know is awful of me and makes me a bad person because as was rightly pointed out to me, that's so offensive to presume such a bad thing of people but there you go. Can't even manage to not take advatage of peoples nice natures without offending someone.

Have you seen my posts on here?! Nothing but moaning! LOL :D:o

I get where you're coming from on all of those points S. Hell, I could write an identical post myself.

Nothing is set in stone though. Exams can be retaken and mental issues can be tackled. Things can seem so terminal when we're at our worst (I'm particularly guilty of feeling like this at times and presently too).

Am i able to ask...

Is anyone here on medication for anxiety? if so, what are you on and how do you feel it helps? I'm really considering going down that path. Pain in my arse with the panic attacks to be honest....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

I've had GAD/panic attacks for years, never went down the route of meds. I would strongly advise you do your homework before going down this route.

Hi :)

I am seeking a bit of help/advice here guys. I am 28 and suffer from badly from GAD/Panic Attacks. In fact, so bad, I have dropped out my Masters this year, and it's also lost me friends/relationships, the list goes on really. I am at a place were I am thinking "can it get any worse?" and yes is probably the answer.

Anyway, I am hoping to start college (again) in Sept. and have ALOT of free time from now until then and I was thinking of two things.

1. Stay in Ireland and try find an unpaid part-time internship (which I have been looking for) and work on my mental health

Or

2. Travel - something I always wanted to do is go to America and experience a bit of the world on my own. However, I bailed an hour before I was scheduled to fly out on a J1 two years ago. In fairness, circumstances were different then and there was a lot of drama prior to going, so this is different. If I was to go, what cities/towns would you recommend? And what would you recommend I do to cope with my issues over there?

Any advice at all would be great as I am at a bit of a cross-roads and don't want to sit idle on my own for the next 9 months - which will probably lead me to an even worse place.

All the best,

• Advertisement

I had also been considering going down the meds route. I get too anxious to open up to someone so was thinking maybe low dose meds would help me get to a point where I could start working on not being so anxious the whole time. I actually normally wouldn't consider either option but at the moment anxiety is controlling me. What are the risks with going down the medication route?

Delighted to hear that AY! :)

Thanks Hugo :)

I had also been considering going down the meds route. I get too anxious to open up to someone so was thinking maybe low dose meds would help me get to a point where I could start working on not being so anxious the whole time. I actually normally wouldn't consider either option but at the moment anxiety is controlling me. What are the risks with going down the medication route?

I'd really advise you to go talk to your GP. It can be awkward to talk to them about it at first but they more than likely have heard similar things hundreds of times and it'll feel like a huge weight off of your chest!
    Regarding medication, Lexapro (Escitalopram) seems to be a lot of GP's flavour of the month at the moment and is often used as a first line treatment for mild depression and/or anxiety. It's relatively a low risk medication so they're usually pretty comfortable in prescribing it if you come in complaining of either. But that's just what I've been seeing most commonly prescribed in this situation, your GP or whoever will prescribe whatever they think will work best for you.
    I took Lexapro myself for awhile and unlike a lot of other SSRI's it comes into effect pretty quickly. Although anxiety wasn't my primary complaint I found that it was completely eliminated within a few days. Not taking it anymore for other reasons but it was surprisingly effective to be honest, but again, just my own personal experience..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Just wondering is there any link made between depression, or a particularly acute case of anxiety / depression / inability to think straight at times of high pressure.

I want to be a certain kind of person, someone relaxed but someone who can add value to this world, be it in the form of a job well done, the taking on of increasingly complex tasks or a big contribution to social capital.

Let me tell you where I'm coming from with this. I want to take on everything in work, because I want to be seen as Mr dependable. I'm also organising a road race that's growing and growing and becoming massive. My wife is also expecting our third child in April. I should add that the race is in memory of my first child aged 3 who died from a brain tumor. ( its all coming out now, guess that's what happens with these kind of posts).

Anyway, I feel worse at times of pressure or business, I don't think I was ever cut out to be mr dynamo as much as I think I am.

However, I've lost a week this week due to a funeral of a friends father and I've been sick too and I know that once I start taking positive acting in relation to the race / work, I'll feel better.

The point I'm making is that I think when we have a lot on we tend to get blind spots on certain things and we think we'll never manage them, that could be something simple such getting your car nct'd or taxed or something. But once we start taking the necessary steps, we realise it's not that bad and our own sense of worth is reaffirmed.

I have a friend who I know suffers with depression, and gets very bad around this time of the year. I also know he comes under scrutiny in work (assessment) at this time of the year too. Is it the pressure making him depressed or is this just a very bad time of the year that's making his work seem impossible.

Roquentin wrote: »
    are you sure this isnt mania

Mania has to include psychosis as far as I know, didn't reach that high thank God but hypomania definitely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

I'm so sick of this. My moods are up and down like a ****ing yoyo. I'm just so frustrated and anxious and I feel sick. Things are going a bit crap at the minute, and some of it is out of my control but I can't stop fixating on it and it's making me so anxious. I keep snapping at everyone.

I hate my mind.

I'm so sick of this. My moods are up and down like a ****ing yoyo. I'm just so frustrated and anxious and I feel sick. Things are going a bit crap at the minute, and some of it is out of my control but I can't stop fixating on it and it's making me so anxious.

I hope it passes for you soon EI

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

olanzapine is used to treat anxiety. knocks you out cold though. i can barely register an emotional response let alone a word.

CZ 453 wrote: »
    :eek: Are you my twin?

What meds are you taking if any? Are you seeing the college counsellor? Are you doing CBT?

Have you a trigger or stressor event that has caused this?

No meds, I have been attending the top psychologist in Ireland for the last 7/8 years or so. While CBT has brought me some 'relief' at times, I seem to be getting worse, and not better ultimately.

• Advertisement

Right, I've reached a decision. Next week I'm going to a GP. Not my own GP from childhood, but a GP. It might actually be easier to talk to someone I've never seen before who doesn't actually live near me. Fingers crossed I follow through and don't back out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement