Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Anything you wanna get off your chest here friend?

Precarious financial situation, job insecurity in a job I don't like, very much on my own and suffering from social anxiety and major stress when faced with interviews so thought it was time to go speak to someone. I feel better now that I've done something about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

At the time that did sort most of my problems, except for those that could only be fixed by leaving my job. I was fine for a long time, but in the past 1-2 years the anxiety has flared up much worse, I haven't gotten any help for it really, or told anyone. I haven't had a panic attack but come very, very close to it a lot of days. The thing is I can really rationally see when it happens, pretty much what triggers it, but I just can't stop it happening. My body just overreacts to the smallest stresses now, like I have no filter between mild warranted alertness and full blown "a meteor has struck" panic.

I'm babbling now... :o

Sorry you went through that. Some doctors can be very cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

Why? Is there something wrong with doing that? I didn't think he would prescribe if it was the wrong course of action.. He did strongly recommend seeing someone, which I will think about. God now I don't know :(

Firstly, well done today on taking a gigantic leap to benefit yourself getting healthier.

If your GP felt you needed meds, then you probably need them. However as they're a medication that is overly prescribed, and usually used after non-medication therapies have failed, I am wondering why he hasn't suggested the CBT route first, then meds.

Anyway, all that matters today is that you actually actively pursued to get help for it, and that my friend is a huge credit to yourself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

GeneralC wrote: »
    If your GP felt you needed meds, then you probably need them. However as they're a medication that is overly prescribed, and usually used after non-medication therapies have failed, I am wondering why he hasn't suggested the CBT route first, then meds.

I was given CBT first before I was started on medication. To be brutally honest I got no benefit whatsoever from it as my mind just wasn't in the right place for it at the time.

Fingers crossed the medication will get Scrimshanker's head into a good place and CBT will then give the issue a right kick up the arse :D:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

I get what you're saying actually GeneralC, at a guess it might have something to do with my reaction of "ugh I'm so not a talker", having managed about 2 prior sentences during the appt, and something of a time pressure with more exams coming up in May... I find I clam up completely if I have to talk to someone. Maybe if my anxiety levels in general come down I'd be able to actually engage properly with CBT, like Hugo's suggesting...

Right now I'm trying to work out if I'm feeling sick because the pharmacist said I'd feel sick on them or if I'm actually feeling sick. How fun...

• Advertisement

After 8 years of CBT, maybe I should go down the medication route myself. I have always been anti-meds, but at what point should I look elsewhere? I had to drop out of college this year. I can't do the stuff I really want to do. I don't think/act 'normal' (through my eyes anyway). So should I consider meds?

After 8 years of CBT, maybe I should go down the medication route myself. I have always been anti-meds, but at what point should I look elsewhere? I had to drop out of college this year. I can't do the stuff I really want to do. I don't think/act 'normal' (through my eyes anyway). So should I consider meds?

It's another option to consider GC. In most cases, my own included, they're not a miracle cure. That being said, they can stabilise you greatly. In your case you have the skills learned from CBT that you can then apply, hopefully to an even better affect. Have a talk with your GP or psychiatrist GC and see what they think. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

I get where you are coming from re medication being overly prescribed. It might be, it might not be. I genuinely don't know. Medication is one of the ways to treat anxiety and depression. I am in CBT and overall find it very good. I was on the medication for a few months before I started it and I still am. For me medication helped me enormously. I am conscious of the side effects of it as well though. That maybe I am not fully alert or I am numb to some emotions. Nobody has mentioned this to me nor I have felt like that.
    I think the best thing is to talk to your GP and be open to all methods of treatment.

It's another option to consider GC. In most cases, my own included, they're not a miracle cure. That being said, they can stabilise you greatly. In your case you have the skills learned from CBT that you can then apply, hopefully to an even better affect. Have a talk with your GP or psychiatrist GC and see what they think. :)

The reason why I was always against them is because every doctor/psychologist I spoke to said "it would be a shame to see a young man on them" - to quote the latest doctor in A&E last month.

Another reason why my GP is against putting me on them is because I have a congenital heart condition and some SSRI's affect your heart (so I was told)

For me, my anxiety is just constant with flares of extremely high levels. I find when I am idle, I am at my worse, or when tired and hungry, anyone else find that?
    Hence my need for an internship, before I return to college in September, to keep the mind active.

The reason why I was always against them is because every doctor/psychologist I spoke to said "it would be a shame to see a young man on them" - to quote the latest doctor in A&E last month.

Another reason why my GP is against putting me on them is because I have a congenital heart condition and some SSRI's affect your heart (so I was told)

For me, my anxiety is just constant with flares of extremely high levels. I find when I am idle, I am at my worse, or when tired and hungry, anyone else find that?
    Hence my need for an internship, before I return to college in September, to keep the mind active.

I never really got the whole "shame to see a young person on them" thing. Like wouldn't it be a worse shame that they become a recluse and totally drop out from society instead? (Not having a go at you there GC, just in general I mean!)

I don't think my of own medication are SSRI's actually. I'm sure they can be other safer option for you. Am sorry to hear of your heart condition too my friend.

I find that being idle and bored allows my mind to wander into fairly shitty places. Have applied from loadsa jobs and job-bridges too.

• Advertisement

I never really got the whole "shame to see a young person on them" thing. Like wouldn't it be a worse shame that they become a recluse and totally drop out from society instead? (Not having a go at you there GC, just in general I mean!)

I don't think my of own medication are SSRI's actually. I'm sure they can be other safer option for you. Am sorry to hear of your heart condition too my friend.

I find that being idle and bored allows my mind to wander into fairly shitty places. Have applied from loadsa jobs and job-bridges too.

I know, and I agree with you what you're saying. I have somewhat "dropped out from society" anyway, but it's not what I want.

Re: meds - I think they're just playing it safe when it comes to my heart, and that's understandable. I just need to figure out an alternative route to go down.

An idle mind is not a healthy mind. I am looking for an unpaid internship, preferably part-time, just to get me out mixing again - fingers crossed we both find something soon!

I have somewhat "dropped out from society" anyway, but it's not what I want.

I have too for the most part. I seem to do the bare minimum to survive: like go to Tesco etc. Zero social activities. I was a lot worse though. It's a tough hole to dig oneself out of.

What will you be studying in September GC?

Here is some tips that I picked up over the last 8 years or so. Hope it helps.

Tips:

1. Eating healthy, lots of fresh fruit, veg, fish, water etc...

2. Keeping away from stimulants such as caffeine - this is a big one for me, as I find caffeine really spikes my anxiety, so I drink decaf/herbal teas

3. Plenty of exercise, cardio/weights - even a simple 20 minute walk can release endorphins and make you feel refreshed

4. Talk to friends/family - I am guilty of the opposite, but it does help. Blocking people out makes my anxiety higher

5. My psychologist advised me to do breathing exercises every morning and evening for and to keep a log/diary of how I felt pre and post exercise. I am very flakey with this!

6. Yoga - I have recently started doing yoga in my flat with a few candles. So far, I have noticed my breathing to be A LOT better and not as shallow

7. Knowledge is power - I firmly believe this! We're afraid of the unknown, so read up on your condition and get a deeper understanding of what is going on (biologically). This could give some relief.

8. Keep a diary/log and write **** down! If you're having a bad down, write it down, and the opposite, if you're having a great day, write that down too!

9. Be gentle on yourself - I have found from going to countless support groups that we're very hard on ourselves, almost perfectionists. No one is perfect, give yourself a pat on the back, and learn to not be so hard on yourself

10. Everyone has bad days - the trick is to flag them and just let them go, and not let them go to the next day and so on...

11. Set yourself some goals - daily, weekly, whatever it is. For example, I am going to make an effort with a particular friend and go for lunch with them.

12. Write some positive messages down on the fridge, beside your bed, or wherever that's handy for you.

13. You're not alone, regardless of what you think. There is always hope and help out there. You just have to open your eyes and look for it.

14. Don't be afraid - this is a tricky one, because fear is the root of anxiety. But guys, there really is nothing to fear, and if we can face that fear head on, then we will all be in a better place.

15. Anger - this is HUGE and plays the same roll fear does with anxiety. I hold a lot of anger, and I know if I could manage to let it go, my anxiety would be greatly reduced. You got to learn to let that anger go, and ultimately move on.

16. Invite the anxiety in - Yes, you heard me correctly! Invite it in, don't fight against it! If you feel anxious, invite it in, learn how to deal with it and push away, this will only make it worse!

17. Keep yourself busy - An idle mind is not a healthy mind. Read, exercise, gardening, work, volunteer etc.. keep that head busy

18. Opportunities - When an opportunity arises, snatch it up! Coffee, lunch, whatever it is, go for it!

19. Support groups - There is many support groups out there. Aware, The Mater Hospital run some too

20. Keep away from the refined sugars, really not good for your overall health!

21. If you're having a ****ty day, tell someone, don't bottle it up!

22. Challenge those negative, racing thoughts! Is there any substance to them? And they will pass!

23. Rest - Another important aspect is to make sure you're getting plenty of rest. Turn off all devices 2 hours prior to going asleep, or at least 1 hour! This is so important! When I am tired, I am an absolute nightmare!

24. You're safe, nothing is going to happen to you. Remember that.

Sorry for going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Precarious financial situation, job insecurity in a job I don't like, very much on my own and suffering from social anxiety and major stress when faced with interviews so thought it was time to go speak to someone. I feel better now that I've done something about it.

CBT helped make all the highlight bits not matter as much to me.

Don't get me wrong, my life isn't sunshine and lollipops but I don't react as acutely as I used to. My financial problems (that still exist) do not keep me from getting regular sleep. I don't get agoraphobic as much as I used to. I also feel much more confident that I can and will deal with big issues as they arise (instead of dreading the uncertainty of the future).

You said one of the most important things in your last sentence "I feel better now that I've done something about it". This is hugely important and it was the mistake I (and many posters) made for years. I was almost paralysed with fear and didn't know where to turn and ended up DOING nothing but go over my fears/anxietys/problems over and over again in my head.

Taking action sounds like such an obvious thing to do but I found it very hard when certain techniques (councelling) only took me so far. I learned to speak about my feelings with a professional but never got the tools (CBT) to change my life.

There was a time when I used to take comfort from just posting here. It is an action of support (giving and getting) and its more then doing nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

What a fantastic post GeneralC!! So many great tips. Don't think I'll be able to manage the cutting down on caffeine one just yet though :P

Well done on going to your appointment scrimshanker. That is a huge achievement. Do look into some talk therapy when your meds have started to kick in - it will make a huge difference.

Somebody asked a few pages ago whether anyone here is with the adult mental health services/cahms. I'm back with my local mental health services again. Was managing with just GP/therapist for a couple of years but this latest bout has been so bad that my GP referred me back to the psych. Waiting on reassessments (my last one was done years ago) and then we'll do a treatment care plan after that. My experiences of the mental health system have been mostly good, luckily. I know many others have not been as lucky.

Weekend was super **** but today has been okay. Got out for a walk which helped.

I downloaded this ebook today http://www.amazon.com/Anxiety-Phobia-Workbook-Edmund-Bourne/dp/1572248912 - will let you guys know how I get on with it.

How was everyone today? Hope you're all ok :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

meeting with hospital psychologist Thursday.. Have been stiff muscled with tension over it for days.. Slowly getting kind of terrified. Thing is I know that it'll be ok if tough but I can't get myself to calm down one bit.

meeting with hospital psychologist Thursday.. Have been stiff muscled with tension over it for days.. Slowly getting kind of terrified. Thing is I know that it'll be ok if tough but I can't get myself to calm down one bit.

It will be ok. Try not to build yourself up so much. Anticipation is always worse than the actual event I find. Want to chat about it? Please let us know how you get on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Another question here lads..

If I went to the gp would he likely give more appropriate medication? i'm 22 and i hear it's extremely unlikely any doctor will give medication to my age group?

carzony wrote: »

If I went to the gp would he likely give more appropriate medication? i'm 22 and i hear it's extremely unlikely any doctor will give medication to my age group?

I am not too far off your age. I think it depends on each individual case. Your GP will make an assessment and give you his advice. I know GP's are unwilling to give younger people meds. Have you tried CBT?

• Advertisement

carzony, I'm 26 now, but got prescribed different meds when i was 24 (by a college doctor). Nobody but your doctor will be able to tell you whether or not you should be prescribed meds and I'm sure if a doctor is prescribing you something it'll be something appropriate. I know a young teenager who was prescribed beta blockers to deal with anxiety because I think other stuff isn't advised for that age group. Is it a topic you feel you could bring up with your GP? Difficult subject to broach, I know.

Do you trust your GP? Because I'd say if you trust your GP, you should trust that they aren't going to do something that's not in your best interest.

I know I'm one to talk after all the panic about even getting down to the surgery :o

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭alaskayoung

Not true at all! They'll do whats best for you regardless of your age. They might be somewhat less willing but if they feel it's necessary they will. Sometimes,(hopefully as it's a sign of a good doc), they'll recommend seeing a therapist/counselor first to see if that helps and then will prescribe medication alongside it. I'm 18 and my GP just kept a closer eye on me as some of these medications can cause adverse effects to our age group so you'll more than likely be the same.

Mood took a nosedive Sunday. It's insane how rapidly it hits you, like a punch in the gut :( Not surprised though, knew the past week has been too good to be true.
    Don't really know what to do now as my psychiatrist has pretty much abandoned me for a month to see what my baseline is after the fluoxetine has left my system. Don't see why I should have to suffer this **** in the meantime though. My care coordinator said to ring anytime if I need anything but I feel like I'm just going to be annoying them or they'll think I'm being melodramatic. The mood shifts are so insane though, one extreme to the other. Don't know what to do. Sigh. Going to be a long 4 weeks and so much happening with school right now (or supposed to be :L). I hate feeling like I have no idea what's going on..

To the people suffering with anxiety, although it's not something I've experienced too severely in the past at all, I understand how debilitating it can be. Maybe it's stupid but one thing that I've found really helpful in the past is if I'm worrying over a situation, to sit and write down what the worst case scenario could be, the best scenario and then finally the most likely. Your mind tends to immediately focus on the most negative possible outcome whereas usually it will fall somewhere in between which is a lot easier to accept. I don't know, probably sounds silly but I've found it helpful in calming down in the past :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Not true at all! They'll do whats best for you regardless of your age. They might be somewhat less willing but if they feel it's necessary they will. Sometimes,(hopefully as it's a sign of a good doc), they'll recommend seeing a therapist/counselor first to see if that helps and then will prescribe medication alongside it. I'm 18 and my GP just kept a closer eye on me as some of these medications can cause adverse effects to our age group so you'll more than likely be the same.

Well I was putting the gp off and convincing myself medication isn't the best way but i'v had another serious panic attack on the train this morning.. I got off the train and my face was blue I was struggling to breath so much..

I have arranged to see the doctor Friday morning so I'm hoping he'll give me something.. I'v lost count the amount of days i'v had to come home without even managing to get into college. I'v just had enough and I'm more annoyed than anything..

Also, I actually had a severe angry 'episode' for the first time.. I was waiting for the bus and the wifi wouldn't work so I could get the doctors number and I actually threw the phone to the ground.. not like me atall :o:o:o

Well I was putting the gp off and convincing myself medication isn't the best way but i'v had another serious panic attack on the train this morning.. I got off the train and my face was blue I was struggling to breath so much..

I have arranged to see the doctor Friday morning so I'm hoping he'll give me something.. I'v lost count the amount of days i'v had to come home without even managing to get into college. I'v just had enough and I'm more annoyed than anything..

Also, I actually had a severe angry 'episode' for the first time.. I was waiting for the bus and the wifi wouldn't work so I could get the doctors number and I actually threw the phone to the ground.. not like me atall :o:o:o

Really happy to hear that Carzony! :) Definitely a huge step forward and not at all easy to do! Hope you get all the help you need.

Horrible nights sleep, waking up anxious throughout the night several times - feeling groggy as **** today :(

Horrible nights sleep, waking up anxious throughout the night several times - feeling groggy as **** today :(

Sorry to hear that. Not sleeping properly is a killer.

Some good news today - I have an interview for an internship! It's full-time in an area I am interested, un-paid. I would have preferred part-time, as this is my first time working in a long time and may find it over whelming

Some good news today - I have an interview for an internship! It's full-time in an area I am interested, un-paid. I would have preferred part-time, as this is my first time working in a long time and may find it over whelming

Good stuff GC! :)

I hope you get this. When is the interview?

• Advertisement

Good stuff GC! :)

I hope you get this. When is the interview?

Friday @ 2.30pm. Even though it's an internship, I am going to do my homework on this area over the next few days.

How are you feeling today?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement