Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

GeneralC wrote: »
    I would be interested to hear what symptoms people have with their anxiety?

I get this horrible dry gagging sensation in my throat which can cause me to retch. When that kicks in it causes a feeling of anxiety to escalate to panic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

I get this horrible dry gagging sensation in my throat which can cause me to retch. When that kicks in it causes a feeling of anxiety to escalate to panic.

As a child i used to do that now you mention it. I remember there was a time I refused to eat out as i knew i'd start :eek: jesus this thread had made me realise a lot over the last few weeks..

Has anyone experienced weight gain on the Lexapro? I was going through Youtube and it seems extremely common?. According to Wikipedia it's not a problem?. I think most people commented on gaining atleast a stone in 8 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

For me the depersonalisation and derealisation is the worst part of anxiety for me. I dont feel i really exist a lot of the time and my thoughts dont feel my own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

mg1982 wrote: »
    For me the depersonalisation and derealisation is the worst part of anxiety for me. I dont feel i really exist a lot of the time and my thoughts dont feel my own.

It's the same for myself.

Do people find their anxiety is higher when they're hungry and tired?

I find I have no concept of reality/time, anyone else get that:confused:

Does anyone suffer badly from acid reflux/digestion problems and food cravings?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

carzony wrote: »

Has anyone experienced weight gain on the Lexapro? I was going through Youtube and it seems extremely common?. According to Wikipedia it's not a problem?. I think most people commented on gaining atleast a stone in 8 months.

I've been on lexapro for four months and have definitely gained weight - trying to stay away from the scales so don't know exactly how much.

• Advertisement

Aeternum wrote: »
    I've been on lexapro for four months and have definitely gained weight - trying to stay away from the scales so don't know exactly how much.

would that be because of the actual medication or because the medication makes you eat more.

I'v read it also causes weight loss/ loss of appetite but that seems rare from my research.

could be good news in time: http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0201/677052-health-drugs/

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

would that be because of the actual medication or because the medication makes you eat more.

I'v read it also causes weight loss/ loss of appetite but that seems rare from my research.

could be good news in time: http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0201/677052-health-drugs/

I haven't noticed myself eating much more than I usually would so its hard to tell :/ I've always had a pretty crap diet though being honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭masonchat

Hi .
    I have been on lyrica for anxiety for a little over 2 weeks , while it did help with anxiety

I now feel completely emotionless , my appite is very poor also since i went on it has anyone else had experience with lyrica and how did it effect you

P.S my libido has also become non existant

Aeternum wrote: »
    I haven't noticed myself eating much more than I usually would so its hard to tell :/ I've always had a pretty crap diet though being honest.

I live on fast food most of my life but only recently I have noticed a huge increase in weight. I was 11 stone 7 this time last year i'm now close to 12 stone 3..

My weight gain has slowed down due to eating a little more sensibly but i'm still a bit chubby as it is. Last thing i need is more weight gain.

It'll be intresting to see how things go with it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

This is probably not the right place for this but I'm feeling very low atm. I don't suffer from anxiety but I certainly think I'm depressed now. I've been diagnosed with a personality disorder about a year ago having finally sought help. It has affected every part of my life long term but there was no big crisis that precipitated the diagnosis (I've just always known there's something wrong with me) and nobody around me is aware of the situation. The diagnosis has gradually filled me with despair tbh as it just seems a hopeless case. I have tried to get counselling a number times now but it has not worked out.

I'm feeling a lot of anger towards a parent recently even though I have, up until now, never blamed them and always been of the "just move past it, they did their best" mentality as I didn't, and still don't, see anything to be gained from harbouring resentment and bitterness towards someone who didn't do anything deliberately wrong or anything truly bad in the grand scheme of things. I've reached my 30s without going down this road and I'm very down now that I can't get control of myself and just get on with it. I've nobody to talk to so I hope writing this out may help some.

Most on here are obviously dealing with much tougher daily battles and I admire you for offering each other support. I often lurk here and get comfort from some of the advice given and experience shared, so thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

Arlessienne - it sounds like we have a pretty similar experience. I was diagnosed with a personality disorder 5 years ago, and it has had an effect on everything in my life. Not always a detrimental effect, but it does make some things a lot harder. I only really came to terms with it this year; before that I didn't like to think about it. Please don't feel like you're a hopeless case at all. Diagnoses are just labels for a bunch of symptoms at the end of the day - they can't stop us from living our life, only we ourselves can do that (or abusive people in our lives etc). You will get through this. Would you try go for therapy again? I have been in therapy for a good few years now, and it has helped with things. I still have a really long way to go, especially when it comes to accepting my emotions and not using bad coping mechanisms. But compared to what I was like before I started (manipulative, horrible to live with etc) I have come a long, long way.

Re: anxiety symptoms: If I'm anxious I always feel nauseous and have a sick stomach. And my head tends to feels really warm or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Thanks for your reply and your encouragement EI. The therapy has been ended by the therapist on all occasions. I want nothing more than to go to therapy and have someone to talk to! This adds to the hopelessness and a lot of what I have read discusses the difficulty of making any progress. I looked for diagnosis hoping to get help but feel it has made the future look like a dead end.

For years I thought the problem was that I just couldn't reach out and admit I needed help. All the advice and the support ads say to talk about your feelings and look for help and about the relief people feel in opening up, but I'm afraid I just feel more alone than ever having finally made that step.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

Have the therapists said why they have decided to end the sessions? Maybe you could look up therapists who specifically work with people with your diagnosis or have experience of working with people with it? Some therapists can be a bit weird about personality disorders, because apparently if you have a personality disorder you automatically don't want to recover from it or learn to manage it (which IMO is an extremely problematic opinion, because it's such a generalisation).

Do you see a psychiatrist or any other health care workers? They might be able to recommend somebody.

It can be difficult to make progress, but it can be made. I can tell you that from my own experience. I'm going through a bad spell at the minute myself and it feels hopeless a lot of the time, but looking back at how I was a few years ago I can see how far I've come. Hopefully you will be able to say the same some day too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭heyday30

Oh could really use a hug. I ended up drinking last night. I am in an awful way today. I normally don't ever. I'm some idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

heyday30 wrote: »
    Oh could really use a hug. I ended up drinking last night. I am in an awful way today. I normally don't ever. I'm some idiot.

Ah you're not an idiot. You're human, we all make mistakes now and then. Hope you find someone to hug x

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

Plato-Quote-2.jpg

Ah you're not an idiot. You're human, we all make mistakes now and then. Hope you find someone to hug x

Thanks just have the dog to hug. X
    just get through tonight n tomorrow be fine then. The vodka really kicking the sh1t out of my body today. :'(

CZ 453 wrote: »
    Are you going through the cringe phase?

Pretty much ya. Just stopped the empty retching phase not so long ago. Yuck. !!!!

Pretty much ya. Just stopped the empty retching phase not so long ago. Yuck. !!!!

You poor thing :( Hope it passes soon

Really want to die today :( thoughts of tomorrow are too much to bear. Really don't want to go back to college, afraid I'm going to be unable to breathe during a lecture. How embarrassing that would be...

• Advertisement

Really want to die today :( thoughts of tomorrow are too much to bear. Really don't want to go back to college, afraid I'm going to be unable to breathe during a lecture. How embarrassing that would be...

i'v already had a week off and need to go in for a big presentation on Tuesday so i have no choice..

like you, i'm dreading it. Have you missed many days due to the health issues? i'v missed a serious number of days so far.

CZ 453 wrote: »
    Why do you think you won't be able to breathe?
    What is the trigger to stop you breathing?
    How many are in your class?

If it's any good to you. No one cares what scrimshanker does or wears in the class. No one is looking at you.

Let's say you keel over and hit the floor. Then people will care. They will come to your aid. No one is there to hurt you.

Hope that helps

Thanks. My class are actually really nice, I get on very well with them and (shockingly) have friends in the class. It's just that I know I failed all my exams, which is horrible enough in itself, but going back to all of that now after failing the first lot is just stressing me out so badly. Sitting in the continuation of subjects that I can't pass an exam in is what worries me, I know I'll just get really upset and then get really anxious and be unable to breathe. Had a bad day today, have this tomorrow and I'd just rather be dead.
    i'v already had a week off and need to go in for a big presentation on Tuesday so i have no choice..

like you, i'm dreading it. Have you missed many days due to the health issues? i'v missed a serious number of days so far.

Yeah I had a week off as well. I haven't missed too many days, just a few where I freaked out during the day and had to go home, or freaked out in the morning and couldn't go in. Overall, not bad this year compared with 50/50 attendance the last time I was in college. Probably not taking a lot from it when I'm so anxious. I can never think clearly in the room full of people.

Thanks. My class are actually really nice, I get on very well with them and (shockingly) have friends in the class. It's just that I know I failed all my exams, which is horrible enough in itself, but going back to all of that now after failing the first lot is just stressing me out so badly. Sitting in the continuation of subjects that I can't pass an exam in is what worries me, I know I'll just get really upset and then get really anxious and be unable to breathe. Had a bad day today, have this tomorrow and I'd just rather be dead.

Yeah I had a week off as well. I haven't missed too many days, just a few where I freaked out during the day and had to go home, or freaked out in the morning and couldn't go in. Overall, not bad this year compared with 50/50 attendance the last time I was in college. Probably not taking a lot from it when I'm so anxious. I can never think clearly in the room full of people.

According to my teacher i'v had 13 uncertified days so far :o i reckon i must have 20 certified days though.. been out more than i'v been in:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

I suffer terribly with stomach problems caused by stress and anxiety, acid reflux bloating and nausea. They say when your running high stress anxiety levels your digestive system will suffer.

I suffer terribly with stomach problems caused by stress and anxiety, acid reflux bloating and nausea. They say when your running high stress anxiety levels your digestive system will suffer.

I am having unbearable reflux lately. So much so that every time I take a bite of something it wants to come back up. Ever get this? I am also very bloated.

This is Deffo true. I have bowel disease and acid reflux from a stomach hernia. I'm convinced they r due to stress. When I get stressed anxious both flare up.

GeneralC wrote: »
    I am having unbearable reflux lately. So much so that every time I take a bite of something it wants to come back up. Ever get this? I am also very bloated.

Might want to go get that checked friend. There are things there to help with this. X

Might want to go get that checked friend. There are things there to help with this. X

Yeah, it's getting a bit of a joke at this stage. It could be from anxiety though as I have noticed my anxiety levels increase and the reflux getting worse

The digestion and depersonalisation/derealisation are the worst physical symptoms for myself

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

My meeting in hospital was Thursday and I'm still feeling a little detached from things.. It usually doesn't last this long.. It's a bit difficult to work with..

• Advertisement

well so far a mixed day for me. I have only an hour left in college so i'v survived most of the day.

I had a few difficult times throughout though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement