Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

gary gary - I felt the exact same as you re: seeing a counsellor. I couldn't open up to my friends about not feeling great, so I thought how could I be able to open up to someone I don't even know? It actually turned out to be much easier to talk to the counsellor about stuff than I though it would - they didn't judge me for saying things the way my friends might have, they didn't go over the top with worrying about me like family would; the counsellor just sat and listened. I didn't know what to say at first, but I wrote some stuff out and handed it to her. It does take a while to get comfortable with talking about things you've kept hidden for ages, but I found counselling helpful to get stuff off my chest and out of my head. I am a person that processes things by talking through them though, so it might be a different experience for other people.

Scrimshanker - I think you can ask your GP to refer you for CBT or psychotherapy through the HSE regardless of whether you have a medical card or not. The waiting lists can be pretty long though. unfortunately. And with college counselling services, when I used them before I found that you really had to keep contacting them rather than waiting for them to contact you. A lot of the college counselling services are really stretched so it can be difficult to get an appointment straight away. Check out if they offer a drop in service at a certain time of day - you would get to see someone straight away then.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭alaskayoung

It's funny you're talking about laziness. I'm constantly pee'd off at myself about not getting up on time, not going out, spending entire weekends in bed... Even today I'm annoyed I agreed to go out and meet someone cos I'd much rather be at home. And now I'm trying to force myself into getting ready and going out... Ugh. I'm a bit disappointed in medication, while I'm sleeping better and a bit less panicky, I really don't feel better :( I'm so disappointed and annoyed and sad the whole time. And I'm feeling really really let down by the college counseling service. Why does it take days to get back to someone with a time for an initial appointment?

My psychiatrist told me that although no medication can cure you of all your problems, it can help give you the ability to face them. I wouldn't be too disheartened about the Lexapro yet, it's still very early days. Real recovery has to come from within yourself though, no medication can do that for you but it can definitely help the prospect seem less daunting..
    Maybe you could try calling the college service again and tell them you really want to be seen as soon as possible? There's no harm in letting them know how you feel, especially if it get's things moving a little faster. I know myself that when waiting for these appointments and you feel overwhelmed what's only another week to someone else can seem like eternity to you. Hope you get the support you need soon. Depending on where you are in the country there's other excellent counselling services available to you that are at a reduced rate or even free.
    One thing I wanted to know though, Has anyone had any trouble accessing medication like Lexapro? My Doctor handed the medication over fairly easily and was wondering if that's a regular thing?

As far as I can tell, GP's hand the stuff out like candy..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

As far as I can tell, GP's hand the stuff out like candy..

Well I suppose theres not much else they can do except from referring you to a psychologist but that's usually a long solution as far as I can see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

Yah I think from my own experience my depression began when I was in my final year of secondary school. Neither my family or teachers intervened. My Mom thought it was to do with the leaving cert. I hated school. My own brother asked me why did I behave so strange at school. I was being bullied by other guys in my year. I was too ashamed to tell anyone. To this day I have trouble with forming relationships with the opposite sex. I think if people were more open and educated with regards mental illness then it would benefit everyone. For example if a person knows about the signs of depression then they may attend a GP earlier and thus not need to go down the medication route, require a lower dosage or just chat about what's wrong.
    I did go to counselling at that time yet the counselor was quite bad. She even stopped the sessions which I think was wrong. I felt completely lost and alone. I was suicidal at that time. That year I left school and while some people flourished I sank. I had zero self confidence and made terribly poor decisions.
    If someone had helped me at that time things could have been so different. I don't like to think of the past and think poor me and feel bitter. What has happened has happened. I do think there should be a big focus on mental health in schools. Both for staff and teachers. I do feel I was failed by my school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

greenfrogs wrote: »
    Yah I think from my own experience my depression began when I was in my final year of secondary school. Neither my family or teachers intervened. My Mom thought it was to do with the leaving cert. I hated school. My own brother asked me why did I behave so strange at school. I was being bullied by other guys in my year. I was too ashamed to tell anyone. To this day I have trouble with forming relationships with the opposite sex. I think if people were more open and educated with regards mental illness then it would benefit everyone. For example if a person knows about the signs of depression then they may attend a GP earlier and thus not need to go down the medication route, require a lower dosage or just chat about what's wrong.
    I did go to counselling at that time yet the counselor was quite bad. She even stopped the sessions which I think was wrong. I felt completely lost and alone. I was suicidal at that time. That year I left school and while some people flourished I sank. I had zero self confidence and made terribly poor decisions.
    If someone had helped me at that time things could have been so different. I don't like to think of the past and think poor me and feel bitter. What has happened has happened. I do think there should be a big focus on mental health in schools. Both for staff and teachers. I do feel I was failed by my school.

Couldn't agree more, the details are irrelevant but I got myself into a bit of trouble when I was 15 and I'm fairly certain my problems all stem from that... But I went from being a quiet and studious happy kid with a literally perfect junior cert to not studying, not doing homework, distracting the class constantly, did the whole stereotypical goth thing ( :o ) and ending up in a position of barely getting through the leaving cert.. yet nobody so much as batted an eyelid :( I try to keep the past in the past but looking back, it was clear as day that someone should have pulled me aside...

• Advertisement

Yah I completely understand that. To be honest I know teachers have a tough job but they have a level of responsibility to their students. For a student to go from studious and hardworking to not bothering then someone has to pay attention. I remember one day I was crying in class. The teacher never even took me aside to ask was everything alright. I was a terribly quiet teenager and I was just tossed aside.
    There was a long period of time where I was angry at my family. My parents come from a time where they think everything should be brushed under the carpet. I wish I could go back to my school and tell them the effect of going there had on my life. People in secondary school are children. They are under the care of the teachers. When something traumatic happens you during these years then it can have a devastating effect on the rest of your life.

greenfrogs wrote: »
    People in secondary school are children. They are under the care of the teachers. When something traumatic happens you during these years then it can have a devastating effect on the rest of your life.

Yeah, I think there's a real tendancy to write things off (as my parents always do) as "ah sure they're just being a teenager, of course they're moody".

Sure, or they're depressed or anxious or traumatized. It's like people say "ah hormones" and think that explains away a complete change in someone.

I suppose the thing is, it's almost ten years since I left school (still to finish college :() and I feel like there's been a really big push since then to de-stigmatize mental health problems and to educate people about them. I just hope that some of that has crept into schools and they're noticing more now.

I suppose the thing is, it's almost ten years since I left school (still to finish college :() and I feel like there's been a really big push since then to de-stigmatize mental health problems and to educate people about them. I just hope that some of that has crept into schools and they're noticing more now.

Your absolutely right there mate. I remember having breathing difficulties as a child years ago and my parents telling me ''ah, your only looking for a day off'' Thank god i'm at the stage where I can look after myself and have the cop on to get help. I remember 1 night in particular when I was a child and I had what I can only describe as severe difficulty breathing. I was in the middle of my very first panic attack and noone understood or listened:(

As far as stigma, I don't really care what people think as long as i'm able to cope and get on with life. I do wonder though how people find trying to get time off work and things like that and if organisations take the illness seriously. I still think it's a problem that people just don't talk about which is a real shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭heyday30

Hi. The end of another weekend. Hope everyone doing ok x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

heyday30 wrote: »
    Hi. The end of another weekend. Hope everyone doing ok x

How was the weekend for you HD?

• Advertisement

How was the weekend for you HD?

Alright Mr Hugo.
    I'm grand up to my eyes in meds on antibiotics n steroids for chest infection but not too bad.
    How re you? Howd your weekend go?

heyday30 wrote: »
    Alright Mr Hugo.
    I'm grand up to my eyes in meds on antibiotics n steroids for chest infection but not too bad.
    How re you? Howd your weekend go?

Sorry to hear that HD. Hope you get better soon.

All quiet here. No complaints really :)

Anyone else dreading the week ahead? I'm exhausted just thinking about it. Results due out this week :(

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Dr.Alucard

Anyone else dreading the week ahead? I'm exhausted just thinking about it. Results due out this week :(

yep my exams are out friday too. not looking forward to my maths exam result to be honest. but look, if things dont go the best theres always the august repeats.

College going okish for me, a lot of my class is kinda two-faced tho talking about each others behind peoples backs and being nice as pie to their face. Makes me wonder what they are saying behind my back. but feck them, college is a means to an end. I barely know them and i drive home everyday so its like just a place to go and put a smile on and then come home to peace. If that makes sense. My mantra as of late is there is no negetive feelings just negetive thoughts, eliminate the negetive thoughts and you eliminate the negetive feelings. its kinda helping me.

Best of luck with the results guys :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

Dr.Alucard wrote: »

College going okish for me, a lot of my class is kinda two-faced tho talking about each others behind peoples backs and being nice as pie to their face. Makes me wonder what they are saying behind my back. but feck them, college is a means to an end. I barely know them and i drive home everyday so its like just a place to go and put a smile on and then come home to peace. If that makes sense. My mantra as of late is there is no negetive feelings just negetive thoughts, eliminate the negetive thoughts and you eliminate the negetive feelings. its kinda helping me.

i couldnt believe i saw so much of this. people grow old but they never grow up. everybody was talking about everybody. everybody was envious of everyone. kind of glad i got away from it.

“Most people don't grow up. Most people age. They find parking spaces, honor their credit cards, get married, have children, and call that maturity. What that is, is aging.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Anyone else dreading the week ahead?

I am, it's my last week until my midterm break so it's not to bad. I'm dreading the train in the morning:(:(

Monday is a 7 hour day for me in college so I kinda hate it anyway :rolleyes: I'v to see the doctor on Friday i'm actually looking forward to that for some strange reason :eek:

carzony wrote: »
    I am, it's my last week until my midterm break so it's not to bad. I'm dreading the train in the morning:(:(

Monday is a 7 hour day for me in college so I kinda hate it anyway :rolleyes: I'v to see the doctor on Friday i'm actually looking forward to that for some strange reason :eek:

Yeah I've an awful Monday as well. 6 hours of lectures, then stuff to do all evening (that I have to do).

Didn't finish my tutorials, either, and I've just realized I won't have time to :(

Oops.

Funny you should say you're looking forward to the doc, I'm actually counting down the days til I can go back. Friday week.

Since last night i'v creeped back into my old panicky state. Hope I'v no problems in the morning.. Last week was one of the best weeks I'v had in months though.

• Advertisement

CZ 453 wrote: »
    I'd take a place as a test subject on a research program for GAD right now.....Baffling. Your motoring along and then cracks appear and it all goes to poop(all in the head of course).

Yep CZ. Baffling it is indeed. Smallest thought can make such a change.
    Hope ya ok x

So much for my return to sleeping... That's 2 nights in a row now that I'm awake in the middle of the night :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

I have a big interview on Thursday that's my focus for the week. Potentially the break here I need to get going in Canada finally. Oddly, I don't feel that nervous or anxious about it yet. I am just trying to focus on me for it. To think positively about what I have to offer. I'm conscious of body language and have tried to improve aspects of this as I think it's been a factor in previous job interviews and just in general- posture eye contact fidgeting etc. Even when I met a frown for coffee I laughed about the negative energy I was emanating. But I was conscious of it and can control more than I did. Any advice for the interview anyway?

I just read some of the posts above about school, teachers and mental health. I left school 15 years ago and thinking back, I had horrendous anxiety issues the whole through. Knot in my stomach going into every class and Even now I have the occasional dream like I haven't done homework r have an exam coming up. Was a good student but choked in two of my LC exams which cost me a lot of points. I don't recall any talk of metal health issues during my school issues or much when I went to ucd soon after. The last 15 years hae been a struggle on the mental health front and it's only the last few years since all this came into the public more, that I am finally understanding about anxiety and depression more and finally taking control of my mind. I hope things are different in schools now. The pressure to perform on school and fear of failure was huge when I was in school. It was as if the LC was the be all and end all to life. Looking back it's such bull**** and it angers me all that nonsense affected me so much

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

I wish it was all over, I can't keep living with this anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I wish it was all over, I can't keep living with this anymore.

How you feel now is not necessarily a reflection of your life around you. If you can, try to focus on today (not tomorrow or yesterday) and what you can do today to feel a bit better. Phone the Samaritans or AWARE for support.

If you wish it was all over then you have little to lose by reaching out. What is the worst that can happen?

Sometimes taking the first step out of our comfort zones can be the one that makes the difference.

I have a big interview on Thursday that's my focus for the week. Potentially the break here I need to get going in Canada finally. Oddly, I don't feel that nervous or anxious about it yet. I am just trying to focus on me for it. To think positively about what I have to offer. I'm conscious of body language and have tried to improve aspects of this as I think it's been a factor in previous job interviews and just in general- posture eye contact fidgeting etc. Even when I met a frown for coffee I laughed about the negative energy I was emanating. But I was conscious of it and can control more than I did. Any advice for the interview anyway?

those interviews are often like interrogations. try and be relaxed and let your unconscious do the work. a guy i knew who worked in HR once said that they are looking for your response instinctively. essentially what are you like as a person. can they work with you etc. they know from your cv that you have the credentials. the interview is about personality etc

Hope everyone's Monday has gone okay for them.

Mine was alright. I woke up in good form. Was even singing making breakfast. My diet was terrible today though. I ate junk food all day. I just realised I didn't get out of the house since last Friday. I got a bit upset last night as well. That's the second Sunday night in a row. I am finding weekends pretty lonely. I must make sure to get out in the fresh air for a while each day. That's my plan for the week. Eat well and exercise. So simple but hopefully it will put me in good form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

I had a quiet weekend, havent gone in a night out since last summer but that doesnt bother me tbh. Have 3 night shifts this week. I really suck at being around people so its very stressfull for me. Im only in this job 3 months but im dreading it every day i have to go in. Hope you guys are ok.

• Advertisement

mg1982 wrote: »
    I had a quiet weekend, havent gone in a night out since last summer but that doesnt bother me tbh. Have 3 night shifts this week. I really suck at being around people so its very stressfull for me. Im only in this job 3 months but im dreading it every day i have to go in. Hope you guys are ok.

maybe you should think about getting a new job. I had to give up my career for teh same reasons. looking for jobs where i can work alone. there isnt too many of them but they do exist. (self employed, driver etc)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement