Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

Wilberto wrote: »
    If I was to guess, i'd say that there must have been something in the air today, because my day wasn't exactly full of roses either, to put it mildly. It was really disappointing too after a seemingly good day yesterday.

Sorry to hear that :(. Would you like to talk/vent about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Wilberto wrote: »
    If I was to guess, i'd say that there must have been something in the air today, because my day wasn't exactly full of roses either, to put it mildly. It was really disappointing too after a seemingly good day yesterday.

Sorry to hear that W

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I'm cranky/ragey today aswell.. What's that about?

Wonder if it was the weather. There was a huge pressure drop today. I find myself very sensitive to changes in atmospheric pressure.

Wonder if it was the weather. There was a huge pressure drop today. I find myself very sensitive to changes in atmospheric pressure.

Could be right yeah :-/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

That makes sense, I tend to react to changes in pressure if they are rapid usually. Pain problem is being an issue also today which would second it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Never thought of that but when you think about it it makes sense. That low lying grey cloud thats being around the last few days can be opressive.

mg1982 wrote: »
    Never thought of that but when you think about it it makes sense. That low lying grey cloud thats being around the last few days can be opressive.

Found it very dull myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Thank yous for replies. I forced myself to lie down and let every single sensory arrow penetrate my psyche. At the core of whatever place in me I am trying to protect I found a pocket of space. Felt some relief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Pecker31

Hi all. I relativally new to this thread. I was diagnosed with depression last week but to be honest I've had it with years. I also suffer from everyday all the time anxiety. Awake all night with stupid irrational thoughts and worries and creating senerios that haven't even happened. I've a overwhelming feeling something bad is gonna happen me and anything positive thing in my life I have to think of a negative thought for it.

I feel so alone in that I'm the only one who thinks like this. Friends assure me I don't but I'm not sure

• Advertisement

There's something very wrong with how I perceive the world. Got my exam results, passed with flying colours but have no idea how because all I remember is screwing it up. Confused, feeling a bit panicky but quite relieved.

Absorb the relief if ye can, try and make a concerted effort to allow yourself to feel that friday feeling. It's what everyone does when they achieve something, although they usually wouldn't have the fear of such bad feelings lingering around the corner.

If it makes you feel any better (not sure why it would) every exam I ever did in college was a case of 'how the **** did that result happen', I was the worst student by any measure but I had knack for doing less than the minimum and still passing. Got a 2:1 in the end, although when I got it my first reaction was as I expected ' this doesn't change anything'. When I thought about it though it was an excuse to be proud of myself and to have a reason to give myself a few days relief. Not 'this will turn my life around' but I have a few days or weeks just to feel grand on one front.

Pecker trust me you're not alone in thinking like that. Sometimes I get so afraid of my own body breathing, how fragile it all feels, I cause myself a panic.

Have you been set up for therapy to try and address the issues? Also, your friends say you don't what? Feel the way you do?

Pecker trust me you're not alone in thinking like that. Sometimes I get so afraid of my own body breathing, how fragile it all feels, I cause myself a panic.

Have you been set up for therapy to try and address the issues? Also, your friends say you don't what? Feel the way you do?

Hi, I'm going for some CBT on Wednesday so we will see how that goes. The doc gave me some antidepressants but I haven't taken them yet. Don't know why. My friends say I'm not alone but sometime I feel like I'm the only one in the world who feels like this. It's scary to think I'm gonna spend forever like this

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

Pecker31 wrote: »
    Hi all. I relativally new to this thread. I was diagnosed with depression last week but to be honest I've had it with years. I also suffer from everyday all the time anxiety. Awake all night with stupid irrational thoughts and worries and creating senerios that haven't even happened. I've a overwhelming feeling something bad is gonna happen me and anything positive thing in my life I have to think of a negative thought for it.

I feel so alone in that I'm the only one who thinks like this. Friends assure me I don't but I'm not sure

sounds like GAD anxiety disorder. i do the same

Roquentin wrote: »

What do you do to help yourself? If you don't mind me asking

Well done with the result Scrim! I knew you had it in ya! :)

Hi Pecker, Sorry to hear you're having these issues. A lot of people here including myself know exactly what it is like. Keep chatting with us here and things might not feel as bad.

Thanks Hugo. I'm currently sat in my bedroom my parents are downstairs and all I want to do is explain to them what is goin on. I can't those and I know they'll worry so much and my mother has just been diagnosed with breast cancer.

Will life always be this sad?

No Pecker, I don't thinks so (coming from one of the most negative people you will ever speak to).

Suffering informs life imo. Biologically, the brain never stops developing and changing. Yes some people are depressed their whole lives and may end their life that way. I think very few people, if any, have an impossible task dealing with sad or empty feelings. As you'll see with CBT, your brain at this time thinks in cyclic patterns and changing your thinking is next to impossible as a purely intellectual excercise. It needs to relearn, the way it learned originally. And that is by getting new input, taking action. In this way the brain (thanks to the neuroplasticity WILL physically change).

If you've read drumpot's posts, you see the benefits of someone who had faith in that system (evidence-based faith I add) but complete faith nonetheless. He said 'I will do what my therapist/doctor says no matter what my mind comes up with to the contrary'. Very difficult, but if you read his posts you'll see how he has benefited.

You can enjoy life again imo.

What do you do to help yourself? If you don't mind me asking

im on meds now that keep it in check. before i wouldnt be able to sleep or nothing. few drinks helps as well although thats bad in the long run

• Advertisement

Thanks Hugo. I'm currently sat in my bedroom my parents are downstairs and all I want to do is explain to them what is goin on. I can't those and I know they'll worry so much and my mother has just been diagnosed with breast cancer.

*hugs*

I'm so sorry to hear about your mother Pecker :(

I hope life won't be so hard for us all. It just can seem so dark at our worst. The dark clouds have to pass over though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Talk to your family about it, its one of the best things you can do. My mam wouldn't be one I would say that believed in depression. I was scared to tell her for months what was going on. Sat down with her one day and told her everything, how I felt, what I done, I just opened up and even tho she has a lot on her plate she is there for me and it's brought us closer together. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Hey guys hope ur all ok. My day started off ok but anxiety is building now. Glad to hear ur better callmejimmy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

Scrimshanker - are you a perfectionist do you think? I would be a lot like what you said - thinking I did **** in exams/essays and then even when I pass (even with really good results, I get upset that I didn't gget higher.

Does anyone else here have atypical depression? I was diagnosed with it yyesterday, hadn't heard of it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Roquentin wrote: »

defo makes sense as it's what I do too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,888 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Feel like I'm at the end of my tether and can't stop having thinking of suicide. For a while I was doing ok but for the past two months I've been constantly down again. I've gone back to self-harm after resisting it for a year too. I just feel so sick of everything and utterly hopeless.

Scrimshanker - are you a perfectionist do you think? I would be a lot like what you said - thinking I did **** in exams/essays and then even when I pass (even with really good results, I get upset that I didn't gget higher.

Yes definitely. I sometimes get so worked up that I can't even start something if I don't know that I can do it perfectly, which is a bit of a problem! Even now I can't leave myself alone, I keep thinking "imagine if I had studied how good the results would be! Imagine if I hadn't been freaking out during all the exams, imagine if I had been calm and level headed and thinking straight during them, why didn't I calm myself down better during the exams and now my results would be better". The thing is, my results are great, even by my standards. But less than 100% is never good enough :o

Got an appointment for the counselling service. Think this is something I'll have to work on in it.

Yes definitely. I sometimes get so worked up that I can't even start something if I don't know that I can do it perfectly, which is a bit of a problem! Even now I can't leave myself alone, I keep thinking "imagine if I had studied how good the results would be! Imagine if I hadn't been freaking out during all the exams, imagine if I had been calm and level headed and thinking straight during them, why didn't I calm myself down better during the exams and now my results would be better". The thing is, my results are great, even by my standards. But less than 100% is never good enough :o

Got an appointment for the counselling service. Think this is something I'll have to work on in it.

its paradoxical. the more you try to force the issue, the less good you do.

Suas11 wrote: »
    Feel like I'm at the end of my tether and can't stop having thinking of suicide. For a while I was doing ok but for the past two months I've been constantly down again. I've gone back to self-harm after resisting it for a year too. I just feel so sick of everything and utterly hopeless.

Sorry to hear that Suas. Talk it out more with us here if you want to. We're here for ya.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

Oh god, I am the exact same. an endless cycle of procrastination and perfectionism! I really need to work on it more too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement