Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

Thanks guys, I'm just afraid I'll go in and be like "yeah it's great, repeat script please thanks bye!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Thanks guys, I'm just afraid I'll go in and be like "yeah it's great, repeat script please thanks bye!"

That's exactly what I say every time I go!!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Throwaway3754

Hey guys, thought it'd be a good idea to post here.

My anxiety is crazy bad, I dropped out of college last year because of it which gave me a break so I thought I was somewhat better, but I'm even worse now.

I haven't gone to a single day in college, I haven't met my housemates. (I'm in a student complex) I spend all my time in my room, too scared to even go to the shop 30 seconds away. At times, I end up with no food because I'm literally too scared to leave my room.

I can't get on a train/bus/taxi so I rarely get home, unless my dad comes up and collects me on a Friday and brings me back on Sunday which isn't feasible. My parents know I'm not well, but I tend to put up a front that I'm okay and going to college and enjoying myself so they don't worry.

I've told at least 7 doctors how I'm feeling but each have told me it's stress 😭😭
    I decided to send in an application to defer college but it was denied.

I don't know what to do, seems like a never ending road.

That's exactly what I say every time I go!!

Haha I'm in good company so. Does your doc probe a little deeper or just write the script?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Haha I'm in good company so. Does your doc probe a little deeper or just write the script?

She just writes it. She must think she's doing a great job :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Hey guys, thought it'd be a good idea to post here.

My anxiety is crazy bad, I dropped out of college last year because of it which gave me a break so I thought I was somewhat better, but I'm even worse now.

I haven't gone to a single day in college, I haven't met my housemates. (I'm in a student complex) I spend all my time in my room, too scared to even go to the shop 30 seconds away. At times, I end up with no food because I'm literally too scared to leave my room.

I can't get on a train/bus/taxi so I rarely get home, unless my dad comes up and collects me on a Friday and brings me back on Sunday which isn't feasible. My parents know I'm not well, but I tend to put up a front that I'm okay and going to college and enjoying myself so they don't worry.

I've told at least 7 doctors how I'm feeling but each have told me it's stress 😭😭
    I decided to send in an application to defer college but it was denied.

I don't know what to do, seems like a never ending road.

Have you tried the college's own resources? Most second and third level places of education have a nurse or counsellor, my heart goes out to you with having to go to so many doctors and how trapped you feel.. Welcome to the thread..

Grem..

She just writes it. She must think she's doing a great job :pac:

Ah right, maybe will try to avoid doing that so :p

Have you tried the college's own resources? Most second and third level places of education have a nurse or counsellor, my heart goes out to you with having to go to so many doctors and how trapped you feel.. Welcome to the thread..

Grem..

I have, 2 doctors in my college told me it was stress and to go to the counsellor. Took the trip to the counsellor who saw that it was apparently stress and gave the usual "do some breathing exercises" line and that was it, 10 minutes in the room and no further appointments.

It's tough, especially when I see pictures of my friends going out and having a great time and hear my housemates happily conversing, yet I can't even get the courage to open the blind in my room.

Thanks for your reply!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I have, 2 doctors in my college told me it was stress and to go to the counsellor. Took the trip to the counsellor who saw that it was apparently stress and gave the usual "do some breathing exercises" line and that was it, 10 minutes in the room and no further appointments.

It's tough, especially when I see pictures of my friends going out and having a great time and hear my housemates happily conversing, yet I can't even get the courage to open the blind in my room.

Thanks for your reply!

Oh dear.. You'll have to badger a bit so.. Explain what a typical day is.. If they hear, in particular, that you've gone hungry rather than face going outside your door they should sit up and pay attention. Have you looked up any meditation/mindmindfulness type exercises online?. I was the ultimate cynic regarding what I saw as "that hippy dippy sh1te" for a long time but eventually I've come to find the benefits..
    You're welcome by the way. I'm a while battling my demons, I always felt it'd be a waste if I didn't share experiences with others..

Oh dear.. You'll have to badger a bit so.. Explain what a typical day is.. If they hear, in particular, that you've gone hungry rather than face going outside your door they should sit up and pay attention. Have you looked up any meditation/mindmindfulness type exercises online?. I was the ultimate cynic regarding what I saw as "that hippy dippy sh1te" for a long time but eventually I've come to find the benefits..
    You're welcome by the way. I'm a while battling my demons, I always felt it'd be a waste if I didn't share experiences with others..

I haven't but I will do so now!

Thanks again, hope you're doing alright x

• Advertisement

I haven't but I will do so now!

Thanks again, hope you're doing alright x

Any way I can help just let me know.. You can pm if you want to also..

Oh throwaway, I feel for you. How awful to be ignored by those who are supposed to help. Have a backup plan. If you don't get satisfaction from the college doc (although if you write down what you've written here they SHOULD help and take you seriously), maybe consider a different doc? A&E if you think you're really at risk?

Oh throwaway, I feel for you. How awful to be ignored by those who are supposed to help. Have a backup plan. If you don't get satisfaction from the college doc (although if you write down what you've written here they SHOULD help and take you seriously), maybe consider a different doc? A&E if you think you're really at risk?

That, in a nutshell is how it goes a lot of the time.. It's ****ing shocking at best of times. I don't wonder at suicide rates in this country. Actually I wonder how so many survive sometimes.

Before all this happened, I thought doctors were great at everything but now I've learned they're far from it!

Unfortunately I've went to all the doctors available in my college, I'm not really back home to try another one in my town and I just don't have the money to spend €50 or more going to a GP for the possibility of being told it's "stress"

I'm not at risk as of yet so I should be okay!
    Thank you for the reply :)

Did you get any good impression off one of the college doctors? If so I'd make appointments directly with the same doc. Keep at them.. I was an outpatient in the mental health unit for nearly two years before I managed to pin them for at least the start of a diagnosis.
    It's a real catch 22 situation at times, it's too hard to find the willpower or energy to keep at it, but the worse you are the less likely a doc is to see it unless you drag yourself to them repeatedly..

Did you get any good impression off one of the college doctors? If so I'd make appointments directly with the same doc. Keep at them.. I was an outpatient in the mental health unit for nearly two years before I managed to pin them for at least the start of a diagnosis.
    It's a real catch 22 situation at times, it's too hard to find the willpower or energy to keep at it, but the worse you are the less likely a doc is to see it unless you drag yourself to them repeatedly..

There was one male doctor who I found very good, but seemingly so does every other student as he's booked up 5 weeks in advance, and waiting 5 weeks at a time for an appointment seems much worse than none at all

Throwaway, have you considered asking for an emergency appointment with him? I've been registered in all of the dublin universities and they all, always, had appointments available on the day reserved for emergencies. And don't be afraid to ask for one of those appointments, just stress that you REALLY need to see THAT doctor today. Tell whoever is doing the appointments that it can't wait, you need to see him. They should be able to accommodate you fairly quickly.

Throwaway, have you considered asking for an emergency appointment with him? I've been registered in all of the dublin universities and they all, always, had appointments available on the day reserved for emergencies. And don't be afraid to ask for one of those appointments, just stress that you REALLY need to see THAT doctor today. Tell whoever is doing the appointments that it can't wait, you need to see him. They should be able to accommodate you fairly quickly.

I've never heard of those before, I'll do that thank you!

I've never heard of those before, I'll do that thank you!

Scrim is right there. Don't fall into the trap of thinking you'll be bothering them or that you're not worth it.. I got stuck there for a while until I realised no one was going to take me by the hand and fight my case for me..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

heyday30 wrote: »
    I have good weeks n bad weeks with the ibs it's very much worsened by stress. Some foods r no go either Most veg believe it or not

Yah I am the same. I am trying to do the fodmap diet scrimshanker mentioned below. I am finding wheat and chocolate are no goes for me. I am finding it hard to stick to though.
    have you tried a low fodmap diet?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

Throwaway3754 - you have explained your situation very clearly in your first post here, so you could even read that out to the doctor maybe? or write it out and hand it to him if you feel you can't say it. I know what it's like going from one doctor to another about stuff (I've a chronic physical health condition also, which took ages to get diagnosed because doctors kept brushing me off), and it is so frustrating and upsetting when it seems like they just aren't listening to what you're saying. But you are worth fighting for, so keep your head up and keep trying and hopefully you will get the help and support you need. Best of luck.

What positive thing happened for everyone today? Doesn't matter if it is something tiny or something huge. My one is that I had to do something this evening that I was super anxious about and I realllllllly wanted to avoid it and pull out of it/pretend I was sick. But I managed to go do it anyway :)

Throwaway3754 - you have explained your situation very clearly in your first post here, so you could even read that out to the doctor maybe? or write it out and hand it to him if you feel you can't say it. I know what it's like going from one doctor to another about stuff (I've a chronic physical health condition also, which took ages to get diagnosed because doctors kept brushing me off), and it is so frustrating and upsetting when it seems like they just aren't listening to what you're saying. But you are worth fighting for, so keep your head up and keep trying and hopefully you will get the help and support you need. Best of luck.

Thanks a million :)
    Well done on achieving that today, good on ya!

Oh I forgot to mention an app called headspace, it's free and useful since its on phone. I'm even able to use it on bus now. Might be worth a look for anyone with anxiety problems in particular though I find its good for self esteem too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭heyday30

Oh I forgot to mention an app called headspace, it's free and useful since its on phone. I'm even able to use it on bus now. Might be worth a look for anyone with anxiety problems in particular though I find its good for self esteem too.

Cheers grem seen as how sleep is nowhere in sight might download that n have a gander

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Is that mindfullness meditation sort of thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Pecker31

Starting my first session of CBT on Wednesday ~ Is it unusual to be afraid to open up encase she thinks I am insane! Even tho I prob am :/ !!

mg1982 wrote: »
    Is that mindfullness meditation sort of thing?

Yes it is.. I was always of the opinion that it was airy fairy until i let up with my cynicism and it helps me a bit now when i can relax enough for it..

Pecker31 wrote: »
    Starting my first session of CBT on Wednesday ~ Is it unusual to be afraid to open up encase she thinks I am insane! Even tho I prob am :/ !!

Oh wow, that's how i went in to my appointments for quite some time, i was convinced that the doc/nurse had a panic button and i only had to say one 'weird' thing and i would be grabbed and put in a padded room.. Thankfully it's not like that.. I still have to take a deep breath at times but i know now that i won't just be seized.. It's a normal worry. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Pecker31

Oh wow, that's how i went in to my appointments for quite some time, i was convinced that the doc/nurse had a panic button and i only had to say one 'weird' thing and i would be grabbed and put in a padded room.. Thankfully it's not like that.. I still have to take a deep breath at times but i know now that i won't just be seized.. It's a normal worry. ;)

Ha its amazing, before I used to tell no one I felt depressed and really anxious, now days all my friends know and my boyfriend and my sisters, its who I am and its sooo much easier than hiding it.

I have been to the CBT lady before and she's amazing and really nice to talk to so I suppose that is the first hurdle.

• Advertisement

my GP is a legend :)

What was I worried about at all? He made things much easier by actually asking questions rather than expecting me to just talk and stuff.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement