Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭heyday30

Hi peeps. Like a briar today finally got into a nice sleep last night woken up in agony with ibs. FML

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I'm grand, its just that I can feel myself getting bad again and I want to stop it before it gets worse. I'm glad, in a way. Its a step I never would have taken this time last year :)

Yeah that's what i'm trying (and failing) to say. :o Some people here have come such a long way, i feel kinda proud of our little group i guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

I'm grand, its just that I can feel myself getting bad again and I want to stop it before it gets worse. I'm glad, in a way. Its a step I never would have taken this time last year :)

That is a good step actually NC. Well done for recognising the signs and taking action. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Pecker31 wrote: »
    Hi all, had my first session last night and I feel great today, feel like a big rock has been lifted off my shoulders and I am beginning to relax, sleep still not great and mind kinda foggy but we are getting there :)

She recommended Acupuncture, Reflexology or Craniosacral Therapy. Has anyone tried these, do you find them effective?

Not alone do I not believe in Alternative 'medicine' but would be in fact quite anti AltMed as paying sometimes substantial sums for placebos. Then again, isn't our anxiety problems all in the head anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭The Wallflower

Feeling uneasy these days. Craving intimacy with a woman. A cuddle with a beautiful woman would do me the world of good right now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭verywell

Has anyone tried the 4-7-8 breathing technique at night? I have found it really helps me. U might need to YouTube how it's done as the 8 part is slight different then how u might think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

verywell wrote: »
    Has anyone tried the 4-7-8 breathing technique at night? I have found it really helps me. U might need to YouTube how it's done as the 8 part is slight different then how u might think.

I personally don't like any of those breathing exercises simply because i'd be constantly doing them and I don't feel they work for me anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

will look them up verywell. hope everyone is well. I find myself wondering sometimes if medication is really helping me. been on them for three years, tried 11 different meds in that time. maybe i need to focus on talk therapy instead but unfortunately my psychologist is on maternity leave.

i was looking at a case study of panic/depression and Tony soprano was part of it.. i was wondering does anyone here actually ever collapse or is that just an effect for the tv?

i'v rarely heard of anyone collapsing in 'real life' like.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

carzony wrote: »
    i was looking at a case study of panic/depression and Tony soprano was part of it.. i was wondering does anyone here actually ever collapse or is that just an effect for the tv?

If you suffer from anxiety you can faint, mainly due to breathing too little or much but that's rare.. I know i have fallen over three different times in cases where for some reason my knees have given way. Not fainted at all but 'lost power' is my best way of describing it.. Depression can manifest physically alright, aches and pains, twitches etc. So perhaps collapsing is on the scale.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

I've a dreadful fear of heights.. When I was at a monument abroad during a city break with my undergrad class I agreed to go up in the lift inside it. Saw a picture on the lift wall of how high the lift went... Well, next thing I was in a heap on the floor!

I have often felt light headed and dizzy when im stressed or anxious.

Bad day. Very bad day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭heyday30

Bad day. Very bad day.

What's up scrim? Deep breaths friend.

I'll second Heyday here.. You ok?. Talk to us here if you like..

Bad day. Very bad day.

sorry to hear that scrim. hope everyone else is doin ok and enjoy there weekend.

sorry guys, don't mind me. Just took something to heart that I shouldn't have and let it consume me. I'll get over it.

Sorry to hear that Scrim. We're here for ya friend

I've been varying degrees of anxious and/or depressed for about 11 years now. All started after a big mistake I made. Or maybe I'm making that up and it's just something handy for me to blame, but anyway. Right now I'm not the worst I've been. In the past I've gone for months literally only able to get out of bed to use the loo and eat whatever is left in the kitchen/order take away. I was talking to a friend the other day and it's been playing on my mind since. I was talking about how I still can't sleep properly and how the new tablets had been making me want to hurt myself (must have been so alarming for her) and I basically mentioned that it didn't seem to matter how life was going, if one worry was taken away I have an awful knack for immediately replacing it with something just as troubling. And she turned around to me and said "are you going to live the rest of your life like this?". It's a very frightening prospect. I'm 26, for about half the life I remember properly I have lived like this. It's become increasingly obvious that this isn't going to go away with a few months on SSRIs or a couple of xanax when I'm really freaking out. I'm very frightened that I am going to spend my whole life like this. It's almost who I am at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

I literally just spent a while writing something along the same theme as your post Scrim. I've been struggling with eating disorders since I was a teenager, and I'm so sick of it at this stage, but it's like I don't know how to function without it. And I worry that if I actually had a healthy relationship with food for once, I'd end up with an unhealthy relationship with something else.

It seems impossible to imagine a life without this. I guess from your post you feel the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

me 3, my obsession has become my life and it would be a very big change without it. at times im not bothered to ever have a normal life again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

I can't remember if I posted this link here before. My psych recommended it. Basically it's lots of self-help worksheets for different issues.

http://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/resources/consumers.cfm

I can't remember if I posted this link here before. My psych recommended it. Basically it's lots of self-help worksheets for different issues.

Thanks for the share EI! :)

So good of you to share that. Ta.

Back in college tomorrow after the mid term off. I'm already dreading the early morning bus/train :( I always find the first mornings back difficult..

Sunday night blues here lol :o

Sunday night blues here lol :o

I'v been panic free most of the week due to just relaxing and not doing much but now i'm back to the grind I can feel panic already...

I'v been panic free most of the week due to just relaxing and not doing much but now i'm back to the grind I can feel panic already...

*bro-hugs*

I get ya.

Thinking of you guys.

Carzony, have you looked into car pooling if public transport is causing you such distress?

• Advertisement

Thinking of you guys.

Carzony, have you looked into car pooling if public transport is causing you such distress?

I live 2 hours away and most in my class live local to the college so that's not an option.

I'm not sure what it is about the transport I f##king hate it. It'll be interesting to see how I get on tomorrow as i'v been on the pills for a good while and i'v been basically panic free most of my mid term.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement