Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭murria

I'm done. I gave all I had to give in life and it wasn't enough. I don't care anymore. I want it to be over. I want to be dead.

So sorry, to hear you're feeling this way. You won't feel like this forever, please just try to stay present for the next 15 minutes, write how you feel, or draw something or try 7/11 breathing distract yourself, make a coffee. Think about calling Pieta House for help. Sending you a healing hug xx

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

quote-the-world-breaks-everyone-and-afterward-some-are-strong-at-the-broken-places-ernest-hemingway-82858.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

I'm done. I gave all I had to give in life and it wasn't enough. I don't care anymore. I want it to be over. I want to be dead.

Right there with ya bro. I wonder is there anything left in me at times. I genuinely feel as though I'm being rinsed out of life like some cloth. But I keep going, its all I know. I dont know anything else other than the act of continuing on with this. My head has been a mix of brain fog, emotional/mental paralysis and anxiety since Friday. Things are changing in this area. New antidepressants and technologies. For me its a matter of how long, a test of patience. Hang in there, ride it out with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I'm another one for the 'absolutely nothing left' shout. Nothing in the tank, no emotions, no discernible thoughts, just a kind of waiting in suspended time (although it's effects are begin to tell on my body).

Just this: _________________________________________________________

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

As a wise man once said, When your going through hell keep going. Sorry to hear how your feeling alaskayoung and norwegianwood. I feel like i be going through life the last 10 years without a heart or a soul, just a vacant feeling like nothing defines me or i can identify with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭heyday30

I always find this time of year hard. Don't know why just seems to be the cycle.

All I can advise is what I'm trying to do keep life as simple as possible for the now.
    No rash decision making just trying to kinda exist for a while.

Don't know if that makes sense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

Yah it makes sense. My depression was/is caused by my poor coping skills. I am signed off work. At the moment I feel like I am living in a bubble. My life is so simple at the moment. I have very few responsibilities. I feel good compared to some other people here. But I wonder how will I cope when I return to the adult world.

My eating has gotten out of hand as well. I am putting on about a pound or more a week. :(

greenfrogs wrote: »
    Yah it makes sense. My depression was/is caused by my poor coping skills. I am signed off work. At the moment I feel like I am living in a bubble. My life is so simple at the moment. I have very few responsibilities. I feel good compared to some other people here. But I wonder how will I cope when I return to the adult world.

My eating has gotten out of hand as well. I am putting on about a pound or more a week. :(

You take your time. I'm not too bad now. But when ur rock bottom things like having a shower brushing ur teeth even sweeping a floor is ur work ( that's what was told to me anyway)

I empathise with the eating. Hard to control.

Yah one counselor told me that my job is to get better. I am just after reading a story about a woman who I vaguely knew from my college course and how she got treatment for her depression. I am feeling quite bitter that she is in a much better position than me. I feel that maybe if I had gotten treatment years ago then I wouldn't have lost so much. I dropped out of that course, then tried a different career path which didn't work out. I have tried so hard in the past to make a go at making a decent life for myself and I fell at every hurdle.

Yah the eating is a pain. I spend about an hour each day analysing my body and searching the internet on how to fix my problem areas. The key thing is diet and exercise. But I eat like a horse and sit on my a**. If I spent my time exercising rather than googling I would have a much better body. I must bring this up with my therapist. It's bordering on obsession.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 667 ✭✭✭S.R.

Yah one counselor told me that my job is to get better. I am just after reading a story about a woman who I vaguely knew from my college course and how she got treatment for her depression. I am feeling quite bitter that she is in a much better position than me. I feel that maybe if I had gotten treatment years ago then I wouldn't have lost so much. I dropped out of that course, then tried a different career path which didn't work out. I have tried so hard in the past to make a go at making a decent life for myself and I fell at every hurdle.

Yah the eating is a pain. I spend about an hour each day analysing my body and searching the internet on how to fix my problem areas. The key thing is diet and exercise. But I eat like a horse and sit on my a**. If I spent my time exercising rather than googling I would have a much better body. I must bring this up with my therapist. It's bordering on obsession.

Why do you want to bring this up with therapist? You know how to fix a problem: stop googling and go to exercise.

• Advertisement

Don't be so hard on yourself. Everyone is different and getting better will happen I'm sure of it.

I'm the same re the food/ exercising try every week epically fail lol. I'm a divil for chocolate :(

S.R. wrote: »
    Why do you want to bring this up with therapist? You know how to fix a problem: stop googling and go to exercise.

Excuse me?? I can speak to my therapist about whatever I want. Clearly I feel the need to discuss it. And it is what I feel I need to discuss that is talked about in my sessions. This is a thread for people with depression who find day-to-day life more challenging. So I don't need or want useless comments.

heyday30 wrote: »
    Don't be so hard on yourself. Everyone is different and getting better will happen I'm sure of it.

I'm the same re the food/ exercising try every week epically fail lol. I'm a divil for chocolate :(

I try every week as well but it's definitely my achilles heel at the moment. It is all too easy to pile on the weight. I don't need to add weight problems to my plate (:pac:) at the moment. Chocolate is my downfall as well as fizzy drinks and biscuits. I found a box of biscuits leftover from Christmas yesterday. I don't want to even think about how many I stuffed in my face with

its not that easy for some. No energy motivation....

I try every week as well but it's definitely my achilles heel at the moment. It is all too easy to pile on the weight. I don't need to add weight problems to my plate (:pac:) at the moment. Chocolate is my downfall as well as fizzy drinks and biscuits. I found a box of biscuits leftover from Christmas yesterday. I don't want to even think about how many I stuffed in my face with

I could go the whole day not eating it's the evening and night time. When it's hard to sleep comfort eating

Excuse me?? I can speak to my therapist about whatever I want. Clearly I feel the need to discuss it. And it is what I feel I need to discuss that is talked about in my sessions. This is a thread for people with depression who find day-to-day life more challenging. So I don't need or want useless comments.

Excuse me?? Who said you can not speak to therapist about whatever you want? Read post twice before answering.
    There is no need to be aggressive, calm down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

You take your time. I'm not too bad now. But when ur rock bottom things like having a shower brushing ur teeth even sweeping a floor is ur work

I don't know about anyone here but getting my hair done and teeth brushed in the morning is a massive bother and when i'm not in college I don't even attempt to do either in the mornings :o:o not sure if that's depression or just lazyness?

Greenfrogs, I'm very similar to you in that I know I need to lose a few pounds, eat healthier and exercise but I find it very difficult to change my habits. Not only that but the price of the 'healthy' foods seem extremely expensive compare to the junk food like chocolate, fizzy drinks, chippers ect..

its not that easy for some. No energy motivation....

OK. I tell you my story. Had a weight problem, not very bad, but anyway one day I decided I have to drop few kilos. Stopped eating after 6 p.m., reduced sweets, butter and cheese to a minimum. Slowly, slowly within 4 months lost 10 kg. I knew what to do and did it.

carzony wrote: »
    I don't know about anyone here but getting my hair done and teeth brushed in the morning is a massive bother and when i'm not in college I don't even attempt to do either in the mornings :o:o not sure if that's depression or just lazyness?

Greenfrogs, I'm very similar to you in that I know I need to lose a few pounds, eat healthier and exercise but I find it very difficult to change my habits. Not only that but the price of the 'healthy' foods seem extremely expensive compare to the junk food like chocolate, fizzy drinks, chippers ect..

Healthy food is expensive. And cooking for one person.....a lot of the time I can't be bothered.

Add in the time spent shopping and feck it... Mcdonalds is open late :P

• Advertisement

I could go the whole day not eating it's the evening and night time. When it's hard to sleep comfort eating

Same here. The evening and night time is a killer. I really need to get out of the habit of not going to bed until 3. It's really frustrating. I am a normal weight for my height but it scares me how much I let how I feel about my body impact my mood and self-confidence.
    Excuse me?? Who said you can not speak to therapist about whatever you want? Read post twice before answering.
    There is no need to be aggressive, calm down.

Well I can be aggressive so sorry about that. But I feel your advice is really patronising. I don't think it's healthy to be googling surgical treatments and non cosmetic treatments to get the body I want everyday. I have been down this path before and it does not lead to a good place. For me there are underlying issues as to why I behave like this.

OK. I tell you my story. Had a weight problem, not very bad, but anyway one day I decided I have to drop few kilos. Stopped eating after 6 p.m., reduced sweets, butter and cheese to a minimum. Slowly, slowly within 4 months lost 10 kg. I knew what to do and did it.

Ya that's true. I had a huge weight problem I lost a total of 9 stone altogether. I was in a good place.
    Things happened depress n anxiety became life. Add medication to the mix.
    3 stone up. I know what needs to be done to loose it theoretically but compulsions and other issues make it very difficult.

Now that you mention it I am the same. I have stopped going to a shower everyday unless I am going out. (I used to everyday). I also don't brush my teeth or wash my face if I am not going out. I think that's depression related though. I just have lost motivation.

Well done. I myself I have lost 2 stone. Up until a few weeks ago I was down to 9 Stone 2 having lost 5 pounds post Christmas. In the last few weeks I have been putting on a pound a week so I am now 9 and a half stone. I know how to lose weight. I just want to identify why I can't find the motivation and energy to do it at this moment.

Now that you mention it I am the same. I have stopped going to a shower everyday unless I am going out. (I used to everyday). I also don't brush my teeth or wash my face if I am not going out. I think that's depression related though. I just have lost motivation.

I'm waiting to see a councellor and only thought I was suffering from anxiety but I might suffer from depression aswell. If I was suffering from depression would it be obvious to me?

Most days I get out of bed very late in the afternoon and as I said just really don't want to do anything but I never feel sad or down or anything like that.

In regards to weight i'm 12 stone but i'm a 6'1 male so i'm not overweight by much anyway.

Well done. I myself I have lost 2 stone. Up until a few weeks ago I was down to 9 Stone 2 having lost 5 pounds post Christmas. In the last few weeks I have been putting on a pound a week so I am now 9 and a half stone. I know how to lose weight. I just want to identify why I can't find the motivation and energy to do it at this moment.

Lack of will and laziness - two powerful factors that are hard to beat. My experience. I don't think there is something else. Sometimes I am lazy and make excuses not to do what I have to. And I know deep inside that there is no excuse, I am just being lazy.

Healthy food is expensive. And cooking for one person.....a lot of the time I can't be bothered.

Healthy food is so expensive. I have many food intolerances meaning I need to eating gluten free or spelt bread. So that's just adding to the cost. The price of a packet of grapes is 2 for 5 euro. Junk food is so cheap and it's an easy thing to reach for when you need a pick me up. What's worse is I shouldn't be even eating milk chocolate and biscuits yet I do. I think that's why my weight goes up as well. IBS is a pain.

I'm waiting to see a councellor and only thought I was suffering from anxiety but I might suffer from depression aswell. If I was suffering from depression would it be obvious to me?

Most days I get out of bed very late in the afternoon and as I said just really don't want to do anything but I never feel sad or down or anything like that.

In regards to weight i'm 12 stone but i'm a 6'1 male so i'm not overweight by much anyway.

Same with me when I stay late and sleep till afternoon. When I am up I do not feel sad or down, just don't want to do anything. If I go to bed at 10 p.m. or 11 then in the morning I feel much better. Full of energy.

It wasn't obvious to me that I was suffering from depression. I just thought I was a horrible person who was failing miserably at life.

But I do remember being down and sad a lot of the time. I was extremely unhappy.
    Lack of will and laziness - two powerful factors that are hard to beat. My experience. I don't think there is something else. Sometimes I am lazy and make excuses not to do what I have to. And I know deep inside that there is no excuse, I am just being lazy.

And do you have experience with depression or anxiety?

Because this is a thread for people with these issues to support one another. If I wanted advice on my diet and exercise I would of gone to the health and fitness forum.

wouldn't do any harm mentioning it to the counsellor. You don't necessarily have to feel sad or anything. Just if your not getting enjoyment out of certain things that you used to. Or finding every day tasks very difficult.

You weight seems fine. I'm 5'11 female. I look a lot less than what I weigh but not comfortable with it at the moment

• Advertisement

wouldn't do any harm mentioning it to the counsellor. You don't necessarily have to feel sad or anything. Just if your not getting enjoyment out of certain things that you used to. Or finding every day tasks very difficult.

You weight seems fine. I'm 5'11 female. I look a lot less than what I weigh but not comfortable with it at the moment

Totally agree with you.

It's nice to feel comfortable with the way you look. I just want to walk down the street and not feel self-conscious of my fat arse or my muffin top. It does wonders for your self-confidence.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement