Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

I think DBT therapy is used mainly as a treatment for borderline personality disorder but im sure if u have a diagnosis or are part of the mental health services you could get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

Thanks mg1982. I have an appointment with the psychiatrist during the week so I will discuss it with them. I am currently doing CBT and find it very good. However there is one area where I have not improved and to be honest it is impacting on my recovery. I have spent so much time on this area in CBT and I have spent the last 2 evenings crying and feeling really down about it. I am just so frustrated.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

It's a new roll out being funded by a suicide strategy group I can't think of the name of right now. Being done here as it's a teaching hospital so the participants in it will be providing ongoing feedback..

It's a new roll out being funded by a suicide strategy group I can't think of the name of right now. Being done here as it's a teaching hospital so the participants in it will be providing ongoing feedback..

Is it part of a group when your doing it grem? I know they run group DBT sessions in sligo but there run by the HSE.

Sometimes I wonder what's the point in it all. I feel like ****e. I drive people away with my behaviour. They think I am crazy. I really can't go through this again and again. There is going to be a point where other options will become more appealing. I don't want to end up there. But I feel I am getting closer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

It is hse, Co-funded or something like that.. Just the suicide prevention agency want to research to see how effective it is before putting more funding at it.. Dbt is supposed to be pretty expensive so they are putting us on trial I guess is how it's going. If I'm awake enough in morning I'll ask.

greenfrogs wrote: »
    Sometimes I wonder what's the point in it all. I feel like ****e. I drive people away with my behaviour. They think I am crazy. I really can't go through this again and again. There is going to be a point where other options will become more appealing. I don't want to end up there. But I feel I am getting closer.

I could write this post, and probably have in various guises over the years. I have no idea where I've found the patience to carry on from.. None at all. I don't know if this new thing I'm embarking on will do anything either but somehow we keep plodding, you can too. This is what this thread and us here on it are for.

I am just sick of people leaving my life because they couldn't be friends with me due to my behaviour. I hate the way I try to cling on and ring and text them. But they don't reply. Who can blame them? But I feel so alone and rejected. I will never live a normal life like this. Everyone need friends and romantic relationships. But I can't do either.

I've managed to remain friends with a couple of people.. I've never been in a relationship though.. But bizarre as it may seem I remain hopeful about that sometimes. I've been terribly behaved at times with endangering myself and pushing people away in mean ways.. Mid thirties and still going. Life is a strangely persistent thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

We'll all get there

• Advertisement

Relationships/friends with men is a headwrecker for me. I tend to push women away as I feel they won't like me so I save myself from the rejection. But with men I realise my inner crazy. I am tired of my behaviour. I am sick of people thinking I am crazy. I just want to fix this problem and its not happening. I have no one to talk to in real life about this. It will only upset my family. Everything else I am making progress in. But this issue when it raises its head puts me in a really bad headspace.

greenfrogs wrote: »
    I am just sick of people leaving my life because they couldn't be friends with me due to my behaviour. I hate the way I try to cling on and ring and text them. But they don't reply. Who can blame them? But I feel so alone and rejected. I will never live a normal life like this. Everyone need friends and romantic relationships. But I can't do either.

I feel for u green. Im very much in the same boat in the sense that i ask myself often whats keeping me here, what have i left to live for but yet i just keep going. I guess i try to avoid answering those questions in some way. I dont have friends as such as i find people hard to be around and it takes a lot out of me. Its a lonely road i am on but i guess there is always that small hope of that things will get easier as time goes on.

I think there's a certain level of sensitivity that comes with our shared situations.. It makes us question some things more.. I often wonder if it's perhaps a basis for the saying "ignorance is bliss"

Btw I don't Google the answer to that on purpose. ;)

Usually I can just keep going. But not right now.

I was reading about BPD and it scared me. I have developed intense feelings towards men from my teenage years. That is one of the symptoms of BPD. I know my doctor thought I showed signs of it when I first saw her. I think I may have it. I have been in CBT for months and haven't made progress on this issue. And it really affects me. When I have feelings for someone nothing else in this world matters except that person. My mood is totally dependent on their behaviour towards me.

I have taken some diazepam so I have calmed down a bit. Hopefully I'll fall asleep soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

my first day back tomorrow after 2 weeks off. i've been panic free so it'll be interesting to see how i get on..

I'll have fingers crossed for you Carzony, just make sure you keep the breathing steady if you can. It's not the be all and end all but it's something.

i've been panic free since i've been off college the last 2 weeks but i thinks that's because i'v done very little and i'm also on the meds. I'm actually interested to see how things go tomorrow. It's like a little experiment or somthing..

I'm worried about college, i'm very behind one 1 subject so much so I don't think i'll even pass it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

1st time going to a Psychologist 1st time going to a proper one as i have spoke to others and they didn't work. I am trying the Psychologist route before i go on full meds for my panic and axoitcy attacks and i am getting tested for something else as well with i am having panic attacks over so its going to be a interesting few weeks ahead for me

1st time going to a Psychologist 1st time going to a proper one as i have spoke to others and they didn't work. I am trying the Psychologist route before i go on full meds for my panic and axoitcy attacks and i am getting tested for something else as well with i am having panic attacks over so its going to be a interesting few weeks ahead for me

Good luck with that. At least with a psychologist you know your getting someone with proper training behind them.

Well lads I've just arrived at the college and had such an easy morning. Probably one of the easiest I've had all year. Even the commute was trouble free and I actually arrived very quickly.

It's my first day back in 2 week and usually I find these first mornings extremely tough.

The meds must be working..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

Carzony, do you find they're helping you sleep? I'm still waking in the middle of the night, wondering if 10mg isn't a high enough dose..

Carzony, do you find they're helping you sleep? I'm still waking in the middle of the night, wondering if 10mg isn't a high enough dose..

To be honest mate when not in college I usually stay up most of the night and sleep till afternoon. I'v not really noticed much change in sleep.

Don't think I ever had trouble sleeping to begin with.

Today was handy but i'll see how I get on for the rest of the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Feeling down and blue this morning. I have health anxiety and its flared up a wee bit.

Also haven't slept well this past few nights, am not exercising, been eating crap and have put on weight.

Just want to stay at home today but I need to go to work.

I know its just temporary but need a bit of a moan :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MikeD82

There is nothing worse, then going through hell of depression. You wake up each day, not knowing if you will make it
    'till night, or you will simply give in, and end it all yourself. The drugs sometimes help, and sometimes make it worse.
    Felt like I had no control whatsoever over my own life. But with some help from my family, the people who truly love me, I
    managed to get myself out of that hell-hole. It took me a while, but I managed to teach myself how to push trough the day, and keep on fighting.
    In the end, it all comes down to helping yourself get up and fight, because without that no one can truly help you, no matter how much they would want to.
    To conclude, help yourself, so you could go out into the world, and start truly living, and that will be a cure on it's own.
    lookingupstuff.com/mentalhealth/2015/02/06/how-to-destroy-depression/

Feeling a little bit better today. However it is the night time that I find difficult. Can't wait until my appointment with the psychiatrist tomorrow. I hope I feel ok until then. I am just finding it very difficult to accept my friendship is over. Then I am embarrassed over the way I have tried to contact this person repeatedly but to no avail. I keep thinking about how he must regret becoming friends with me and that he is telling people how crazy I am. I have to accept what has happened. I am finding it so hard. It seems to fit in with borderline personality disorder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Anyone gained weight due to meds? I'm on cipramil for like 5 months or so and I've put on about 9 pounds since then. Thankfully I was under weight before so it doesn't really matter but still, its not something I'm terribly happy about.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 sheepboy288

magic mushrooms? anyone try them for depression?

of course if you are depressed then don't go out taking mushrooms, and most importantly don't go out picking mushrooms because you don't know which is what..

this may sound crazy, but some dark chocolate, omega 3 , vitamin d can greatly reduce depression.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 sheepboy288

Anyone gained weight due to meds? I'm on cipramil for like 5 months or so and I've put on about 9 pounds since then. Thankfully I was under weight before so it doesn't really matter but still, its not something I'm terribly happy about.

(some info on the med your taking)
    The chronic administration of citalopram was found to downregulate brain norepinephrine receptors.

that's nice.... I was on a NRI (increases norepinephrine) to help me focus, but it made me feel depressed...

at least using your meds it takes away that evil norepinephrine... :D????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

I see a couple of people here have/think they have BPD or BPD traits. What are the traits that you find most difficult to cope with or that impact your life most? For me it really used to be impulsivity and unstable relationships, but therapy (just plain psychotherapy) has helped with those a bit. I'm still impulsive and still "split" really badly with some people ("splitting" in BPD is when you swing from loving someone to hating somebody in short spaces of time), but nowhere to the same extent as before. My self-destructive behaviours and emotional dysregulation are so, so bad at the minute though. That's why I really want to do DBT; psychotheray just hasn't seemed to work on the stuff around distress tolerance.

• Advertisement

I see a couple of people here have/think they have BPD or BPD traits. What are the traits that you find most difficult to cope with or that impact your life most? For me it really used to be impulsivity and unstable relationships, but therapy (just plain psychotherapy) has helped with those a bit. I'm still impulsive and still "split" really badly with some people ("splitting" in BPD is when you swing from loving someone to hating somebody in short spaces of time), but nowhere to the same extent as before. My self-destructive behaviours and emotional dysregulation are so, so bad at the minute though. That's why I really want to do DBT; psychotheray just hasn't seemed to work on the stuff around distress tolerance.

Yes there are quite a few on this thread who complain of having BPD traits, although i think nowadays its called emotionally unstable personality disorder or something. Trying the DBT is a good idea, i hear it takes hard work but its worth it in the end.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement