Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

I'm the same carzony, always questioning everything.

I seem to be constantly assesing my mood and any feelings that arise. If I feel even a bit "meh" I start going through in my head what could be causing it. I'm convinced there must be a reason why I feel "meh" so I have to think about it till I find out why.
    I usually just end up making up a reason though and then stressing over it.

Well I even question things I already know the answer to like the GP told me to go back to her after 2 weeks on the medication and I was thinking ''jesus, did she say 2 weeks or 3 weeks''

I knew she said 2 weeks but for some reason I doubted that in my head and questioned it for a little while...

That's one example of many....................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

carzony wrote: »
    Well I even question things I already know the answer to like the GP told me to go back to her after 2 weeks on the medication and I was thinking ''jesus, did she say 2 weeks or 3 weeks''

I knew she said 2 weeks but for some reason I doubted that in my head and questioned it for a little while...

That's one example of many....................

I can't trust myself at all on the lexapro. Apparently my GP told me when I first went that it might make me feel suicidal, which I believe he did. But I have no memory of it. What else am I forgetting? And surely if I was anxious, the lexapro would work, instead of where I currently am. I don't even know if I have made any progress. I'm just so confused.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

hqdefault.jpg

I can't trust myself at all on the lexapro. Apparently my GP told me when I first went that it might make me feel suicidal, which I believe he did. But I have no memory of it. What else am I forgetting? And surely if I was anxious, the lexapro would work, instead of where I currently am. I don't even know if I have made any progress. I'm just so confused.

Just because it worked for me doesnt mean it works for everyone mate.

When I heard many people actually collapse from anxiety I thought ''I can't have anxiety, sure i'v never collapsed'' lol no point in comparing one person to another because it doesnt seem to work like that :cool::cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

“The Paradoxical Commandments

People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered.
    Love them anyway.

If you do good, people will accuse you of selfish ulterior motives.
    Do good anyway.

If you are successful, you will win false friends and true enemies.
    Succeed anyway.

The good you do today will be forgotten tomorrow.
    Do good anyway.

Honesty and frankness make you vulnerable.
    Be honest and frank anyway.

The biggest men and women with the biggest ideas can be shot down by the smallest men and women with the smallest minds.
    Think big anyway.

People favor underdogs but follow only top dogs.
    Fight for a few underdogs anyway.

What you spend years building may be destroyed overnight.
    Build anyway.

People really need help but may attack you if you do help them.
    Help people anyway.

Give the world the best you have and you'll get kicked in the teeth.
    Give the world the best you have anyway.”
    ― Kent M. Keith, The Silent Revolution: Dynamic Leadership in the Student Council

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Even going into the supermarket to do a weekly shop is an intensely uncomfortable experience. I have been doing this for ten years now in the same shop but yet the anxiety is the same. Feel like im fighting a losing battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

It's beyond scary just how much your mind can play tricks on you when you're this far down the hole. Never let yourself get this bad guys, trust me I've been bad. Luckily my past stubbornness and belief got me through, hopefully I can be consistent now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

mg1982 wrote: »
    Even going into the supermarket to do a weekly shop is an intensely uncomfortable experience. I have been doing this for ten years now in the same shop but yet the anxiety is the same. Feel like im fighting a losing battle.

Personally I find supermarkets one of the most rage inducing places. Someday I think I will start screaming at someone because they have irritated me. Maybe try and go at a quiet time.

Them bastard checkouts in supermarkets drive me crazy. noone is even in a hurry to get out of your way are they? ;/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

anyone listen to the guy on liveline today?? suffers from extreme social phobia brought on by a mugging many years ago

during xmas he never goes out, stays indoors constantly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Eurghh, tough day today. Would love to just quit work and tell everyone to fcuk off inside there. So soul destroying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭heyday30

greenfrogs wrote: »
    Personally I find supermarkets one of the most rage inducing places. Someday I think I will start screaming at someone because they have irritated me. Maybe try and go at a quiet time.

Tesco online has saved me many times.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Went very buried in my head yesterday, upset myself a lot. I know there will be further phases of this, just hope the dbt helps me manage..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 geniuspure

write down your fears/anxiety etc. rate them 1 to 10 of them actually happening. it can be an eye opening to realise all u feared was fear itself

fr336 wrote: »
    It's beyond scary just how much your mind can play tricks on you when you're this far down the hole. Never let yourself get this bad guys, trust me I've been bad. Luckily my past stubbornness and belief got me through, hopefully I can be consistent now.

Believe me i know all about that, the mind playing tricks on you. Its amazing how your perception of everything can change. How are you anyway mate? Havent seen you posting in a while.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Back muscles still in a mess since Wednesday. Had a big crash yesterday too. Trying to get my self together a bit now. Very disconnected though.. How are the rest of you who may be around doing?

Back muscles still in a mess since Wednesday. Had a big crash yesterday too. Trying to get my self together a bit now. Very disconnected though.. How are the rest of you who may be around doing?

Oh sorry to hear that, Grem. Been very scared and avoiding everything I'm supposed to be doing. Can't get my head to stop thinking about how I'm going wrong.

So SNAFU, basically :p

Spent a long time today apologising to my closest friend for my behaviour. Again. So obviously been beating myself up and guilt tripping.. So what I'm saying is I hear you Scrim, the vicious hamster wheel and theories on how to get off the damn thing will have to be a discussion again here sometime..

I'm looking forward to my next counselling appointment, strangely enough. I'm just worried I'm putting too much hope into it working, if you get what I mean? I've actually been doing what I was set to do.

I'm looking forward to my next counselling appointment, strangely enough. I'm just worried I'm putting too much hope into it working, if you get what I mean? I've actually been doing what I was set to do.

Absolutely snap re the faith in therapy and course.. I mean I'm pretty sure it's going to do good things for me then I get thinking that it will fail or I think it'll bring up too much stuff and I'll end up somehow even worse out of it..

• Advertisement

Spent most of the night doing college assignments but 1 of the biggest has been completed :) Thank god for that I can tell ya..

Panic wise i'm fine and i'v actually been able to function perfectly fine. Don't wanna sound like i'm exaggerating but my life has really turned around since the meds :)

Should I still see the councellor? when i finally get the appointment like?

I would say absolutely see the counsellor, talk things out. Perhaps find out what was going on so you know yourself better.. My opinion of course but while it's taken me years to find someone to talk to g now know the potential for repair and change is huge.. Glad to hear you're doing so well now though too.

Spent most of the night doing college assignments but 1 of the biggest has been completed :) Thank god for that I can tell ya..

Panic wise i'm fine and i'v actually been able to function perfectly fine. Don't wanna sound like i'm exaggerating but my life has really turned around since the meds :)

Should I still see the councellor? when i finally get the appointment like?

I'm with Grem on this one. I'd be inclined go if I were you (but I'm not you, so that's about as useful as a chocolate teapot, I know :rolleyes: sorry)

In seriousness, though, you've nothing to lose by going. Especially given that you won't spend the session an anxious wreck unable to talk properly (that would be me). I'm absolutely no expert, but apparently cognitive distortions are very common in people with anxiety. If you can engage with a good therapist they might be able to help you identify and challenge some thought processes that aren't helpful. Maybe you don't have any, in which case what's to lose by spending an hour with a counsellor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

Carzony I think counselling would still be a good idea. The meds help you get into a better head space. Counselling can help you to understand why it happened and learn tools how to prevent/cope with things.

Greminlertia (I spelled that completely wrong oops). I hope your feeling better after your crash. I get the whole disconnected thing. I feel like that at the moment. I'm nearly finished cbt for my depression. I'm waiting for a dbt type programme for my borderline personality traits. I know I'm still not better. I just feel a bit like I'm out at sea on my own paddle boat at the moment. I'm no longer depressed and my meds may be reduced soon. But still I can't say I am happy.

Does anyone here have many friends and a social life. I have one friend who I meet every other week. I want more friends and a more active social life but it seems like such hard work.

I actually want to go to the councellor I just don't wanna waste his/her time as the waiting list is quite long but I think i'll still go because i'm not sure i'd be doing aswell without the meds.

In regards to the friends thing, No, I never had many friends outside of college or outside of social events. It actually never bothered me. It is harder to meet new people or hook up with girls though....

I actually want to go to the councellor I just don't wanna waste his/her time as the waiting list is quite long but I think i'll still go because i'm not sure i'd be doing aswell without the meds.

:)

I know that feeling. You're not wasting their time. Before the meds, were you functioning normally? If not, you're not wasting their time. I presume you've some aim to - at some point in the future - come off meds and still live normally? If so, the sooner you learn coping strategies and tackling any possible underlying issues the better, right?

:)

I know that feeling. You're not wasting their time. Before the meds, were you functioning normally? If not, you're not wasting their time. I presume you've some aim to - at some point in the future - come off meds and still live normally? If so, the sooner you learn coping strategies and tackling any possible underlying issues the better, right?

Before the meds everything was extremely difficult and even trying to get to college every morning was a battle.

I would feel breathless most of the time and some mornings I just turned around and went home because I knew I would have a full panic attack. I could actually predict it at one stage.

Taking the meds doesnt really bother me to be honest, I'm very aware of addiction though....

I'll see what the councellor says to me and i'll work from there mate.

Before the meds everything was extremely difficult and even trying to get to college every morning was a battle.

I would feel breathless most of the time and some mornings I just turned around and went home because I knew I would have a full panic attack. I could actually predict it at one stage.

Taking the meds doesnt really bother me to be honest, I'm very aware of addiction though....

I'll see what the councellor says to me and i'll work from there mate.

It really is great that the meds are working so well. Can i ask which one you are on and how long for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

I'm sure this has been said a million times already, but I just want to talk about how great exercise is. A few months ago I took up running and I'm training for a half marathon with some of my friends at the moment. And some days it's the last thing I feel like doing, I feel weak, no energy, like I want to die so what's the point in going out running in a big circle? But when I get out there, it's amazing. My problems just melt away, it's me, my legs moving me forward and whatever music I'm listening to. I feel strong, like nothing can phase me. It's probably the only moment in the day that I feel like I'm in control of my life, and when I finish, I'm happy for the rest of the day, regardless of how I felt before I went out. It doesn't matter how slow I'm going or how out of breath I get, it's a sense of achievement for me.

I'm just writing this because I found exercise more effective than antidepressants, than any counsellor. And if I can do it literally anybody can, until last summer if you told me to go run and that it'd help me, I'd break my arse laughing at you. And if you're reading this, you're feeling low, and you haven't already, just try it and I guarantee it'll help. Doesn't have to be running, can be anything, I lift weights as well and really enjoy that too, but the great thing about it is that it can be anything you like, if it gets you out, gets you moving, gets your mind off how miserable life can be for a while. I promise, it'll be one of the best things you ever do to help yourself get better. Sorry if this comes off as patronizing or anything, I know exercise recommended all the time, but I thought it might be good hearing this from someone who's a pretty bad case but can still find happiness in it. So yeah, try it basically, it'll help you. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Great post norweiganwood.
    Definitely worth anyone giving running a try. Download a couch to 5k plan today and follow rigidly.
    you might be amazed at what could happen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement