Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

mg1982 wrote: »
    It really is great that the meds are working so well. Can i ask which one you are on and how long for?

I'm on escitalopram 10mg. I've been on them for about 4 weeks at this stage but it took till about the 3rd week for them to take any effect.

Although things got easier straight away it took about 3 weeks for the panic attacks and panic in general to go away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Under_Graduate

Anyone here experiencing extreme lethargy as a result of their anxiety/depression?

Is it common/possible, that one can become almost entirely bedridden from these conditions?
    Lack of ability to focus, read, exercise, even a half hour walk outside is an impossibility.

Anyone here experiencing extreme lethargy as a result of their anxiety/depression?

Is it common/possible, that one can become almost entirely bedridden from these conditions?
    Lack of ability to focus, read, exercise, even a half hour walk outside is an impossibility.

I've noticed that in the past but not sure wether it's just me being lazy or something else..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

I'm already filled with dread about the week ahead. Have been all day. Very upset about the last 10 days, too. I don't even know where to start or what to do. Not in a great place. Not able to convince myself that this week is going to be okay.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

There are times I can find myself festering in bed or on couch until I absolutely have to go to toilet.. If it wasn't for work I'd prob have fallen very far into that.. It's a vicious cycle as the less you do, the less you feel you can do.. It's takes a massive power of will to swing your legs out but as soon as you can manage that one thing the rest follows, just a walk or put on a wash and have a shower..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I'm already filled with dread about the week ahead. Have been all day. Very upset about the last 10 days, too. I don't even know where to start or what to do. Not in a great place. Not able to convince myself that this week is going to be okay.

Scrim, if you want to bring this to pm feel free.. Anxiety is insidious and something I'd dearly love to get my hands on to throttle the crap out of.. Half these problems would be so much easier manage if they were somewhat tangible.. I'll be here the next three evenings/nights for ya..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

Feeling a bit sick today. I dislike taking tablets if they are in any way big. Ended up puking soon after taking tablet today. I was just after heading out for a few hours with my mom. Had to come home again. Annoying cos I rarely have anything to do these days. Still don't feel right.

Thanks Grem.

Just finding it very, very hard to cope with college. I can't seem to get anything done. I avoid avoid avoid work at all costs, then Monday comes around and everything I was supposed to have done... Isn't done. The counsellor I saw explained the whole avoidance thing in a way that made sense and I think his explanation was right, and his explanation of why to be kind to myself about it also makes sense, but that doesn't change the work needing to be done. I've actually been trying really very hard to be kind to myself and understanding that all of this came about from trying to protect myself from some really nasty situations... But now I'm sitting here for the second weekend in a row with nothing done because I was kind to myself and I'm terrified. I'm really, really terrified.

greenfrogs wrote: »
    Feeling a bit sick today. I dislike taking tablets if they are in any way big. Ended up puking soon after taking tablet today. I was just after heading out for a few hours with my mom. Had to come home again. Annoying cos I rarely have anything to do these days. Still don't feel right.

Most medications can have an alternative way to take, do you have a pill splitter and do you have a biscuit or some toast with the tablets? Sorry if all that is terribly obvious but I'm going off the info in the post..

Thanks Grem.

Just finding it very, very hard to cope with college. I can't seem to get anything done. I avoid avoid avoid work at all costs, then Monday comes around and everything I was supposed to have done... Isn't done. The counsellor I saw explained the whole avoidance thing in a way that made sense and I think his explanation was right, and his explanation of why to be kind to myself about it also makes sense, but that doesn't change the work needing to be done. I've actually been trying really very hard to be kind to myself and understanding that all of this came about from trying to protect myself from some really nasty situations... But now I'm sitting here for the second weekend in a row with nothing done because I was kind to myself and I'm terrified. I'm really, really terrified.

Ok, first off have your course lecturers and head been advised? If you don't feel like doing that face to face most are amenable to at least starting the conversation via email. It takes time for results to happen when you are working with your head and that might be all your lecturers need to know to let you defer a little..

• Advertisement

Ok, first off have your course lecturers and head been advised? If you don't feel like doing that face to face most are amenable to at least starting the conversation via email. It takes time for results to happen when you are working with your head and that might be all your lecturers need to know to let you defer a little..

No, none of them know. The course head is a bit away with the fairies and I wouldn't be surprised if she just decided randomly to announce all that to the class. She'd see it as just inviting other people with issues to come forward. Nightmare. The work I've to do doesn't count to my grades directly, it's just that if I'm not doing it, it will be hard to get a good grade at the end of the semester. Sorry, I'm being very selfish tonight.

How are you today? Are you feeling any better after your crash?

Most medications can have an alternative way to take, do you have a pill splitter and do you have a biscuit or some toast with the tablets? Sorry if all that is terribly obvious but I'm going off the info in the post..

I usually just take the tablet with water. I might try and spilt it in two tomorrow. It's a horrible feeling. I'm not swallowing it properly and I can feel it moving down my oesophagus.

Thanks for your advice. I find that what is obvious to others isn't so obvious to me.

A lot of academic types can come across as a little different, but they are bound by a strict ethical code so they can't identify individual students like that.. I would still think about notifying perhaps the lecturer you feel most comfortable with to see what they say. You're far from the first and far from the last that will do this..

Doing ok now. Just thought I'd put in an evening helping if I can.

A lot of academic types can come across as a little different, but they are bound by a strict ethical code so they can't identify individual students like that.. I would still think about notifying perhaps the lecturer you feel most comfortable with to see what they say. You're far from the first and far from the last that will do this..

Doing ok now. Just thought I'd put in an evening helping if I can.

Glad to hear you're doing better :) I have a week off coming up soon, hopefully can get my work under control then. A lot of my anxiety is being caused by previous bad experiences with academic staff, so I think the further away I am from them the healthier it is for me. Thanks, though. If it comes down to it I will have to speak to them, but just maybe emphasize that I don't want it raised during class :pac:

There are times I can find myself festering in bed or on couch until I absolutely have to go to toilet.. If it wasn't for work I'd prob have fallen very far into that.. It's a vicious cycle as the less you do, the less you feel you can do.. It's takes a massive power of will to swing your legs out but as soon as you can manage that one thing the rest follows, just a walk or put on a wash and have a shower..

i fall into this when not in college mate. I find it difficult to get up when not in college and i think ''what's the point in getting up'' I usually stay in bed till late afternoon and when I do get up I don't bother doing my hair or brushing my teeth to much hassle :o:o:o:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

Yes, this all happens to me. So annoying. Some days I can barely function cause I'm so lethargic. I have atypical depression, so it's a very common symptom of that.

Hope you're all doing okay this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

Feeling so weird lately. Ive had a couple of setbacks that have annoyed me - I'm quite sensitive so small things get to me the way they wouldnt register with others. Anyone else like this? I'm also in an avoidance loop today - was awaiting a call from one of the people whos upset me, and heard nothing. It shouldnt really be a problem for me to call them, but I'm bizarrely putting it off - I know that if I deal with situation then it wont be hanging over me and making me anxious, and that Ive nothing to be afraid of - even if theyre mean, its just words and shouldnt upset me. but im afraid it will.

I keep telling myself that I'm "setting boundaries" with this person by not making myself available - Ive the phone on silent and have a few excuses to hand about why I cant meet them on certain days, but really its avoidance and is silly of me as Im making myself feel worse by wallowing and allowing this situation to make me feel bad. But I still havent the guts to initiate contact on my terms.

The other posts about not having energy or motivation really resonated with me. Try and do one thing on days when you feel like that is all I'll say. Even just get up and dressed. You do feel better after a wash, and can at least be ready to go out etc if you need to then. The way I'm feeling though, I could do 100 things right now but I'm jsut putting off the one thing I need to do. Havent been able to go outside today and feel bad for wasting a nice day too, but am trying to be kind to myself as another poster mentioned. We cant always do everything and shouldnt feel bad if we fall short.

Stinkle, I'm overly sensitive and I tend to want to react to things that I've exaggerated in my own mind.. It extends to boards threads and all. It's a mess and I'm not sure how I'm coping bar keeping active in a number of areas so the imagined slight in one area passes..

Stinkle I think you are not avoiding your friend but you are setting boundaries. I know the best thing to do is to discuss it like adults but sometimes this doesn't happen for all kinds of reasons. By making yourself unavailable you are showing this person that you won't accept to be treated in a certain way.

I would describe myself as a very emotional person. I seem to feel emotions very deeply and it does affect my day to day life. I think Gremlinertia gave good advice. Distraction is the key. For example if you keep going over a situation and this brings your mood down then try to stop analysing it. Because it is not doing you any good. Go for a walk or play with your dog or listen to some music. Also sometimes our minds can distort a situation so that we only see the facts that agree with our opinions.

Oh jeeez I overanalyse boards threads too!!!! Was nearly afraid to admit that... Even just now when I checked this thread I was like "bet someone tells me im being totally cracked" which never happens in here anyway! I was just reading up on taking things too personally and its totally linked with being highly sensitive. While Im mostly overthinking and irrational, my life has been peppered with instances where being HSP has meant I was right about my analysis/interpretation of a situation too. Not saying Im always right, but my concerns/doubts have often been proven correct.

Distraction is right, and lately I have noticed Im not dwelling on stuff as much.

I bit the bullet and rang the person. They arent a friend, I was renting from them and they were in a bad mood the other day. It felt good to just do it, I figured it wasnt worth waking up tomorrow and dreading it all over again, or getting a call at a time that didnt suit me (eg in work), or I might bump into them in the building/area so didnt want to live like that. It worked out ok actually. Probably good that I didnt contact them yest, and when I did I just asked could we choose a convenient time and meeting was pleasant - i totally overthought it in my head. Am not good at being assertive so just hate being in situations where I might need to be. I give in too easily, and hate being difficult even when I need to be.

Feel better for posting in the first place - writing it down was great, as was the lovely support and understanding.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

I have had chronic fatigue for years now, im beginning to think its a physical problem now and not related to my mood. Any exercise at all and im in bits. The anti depressants dont do anything at all for it either.

Have a good monday folks.... might be a bit hard with this feckin weather

Calm today. Slept last night. Woke up tired. Wonder if this is the meds kicking in. Really hope it is... Going to try and do little bits every day, a little is better than nothing, right?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

stinkle wrote: »
    Feeling so weird lately. Ive had a couple of setbacks that have annoyed me - I'm quite sensitive so small things get to me the way they wouldnt register with others. Anyone else like this? I'm also in an avoidance loop today - was awaiting a call from one of the people whos upset me, and heard nothing. It shouldnt really be a problem for me to call them, but I'm bizarrely putting it off - I know that if I deal with situation then it wont be hanging over me and making me anxious, and that Ive nothing to be afraid of - even if theyre mean, its just words and shouldnt upset me. but im afraid it will.

yea any changes to my routine cause me great stress

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Roquentin wrote: »

I'm very much the same.

The start of this week has me really anxious for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭heyday30

Roquentin wrote: »

Yep get that too.
    I know it's self inflicted but really out of sorts today after few drinks the weekend.

Hope it passes soon.

So out of sorts today. Most anxious I've been in a long time. Am so busy too and feel I won't be right till after a meeting on weds... Bleh. Stomach is upset, ive the dread and tightness in chest and so tired. Just going through the motions

Hi there guys, how did monday go for you all? I'm just up, getting ready for work slowly, feeling groggy..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Been feeling bad all day but been holding up, as I have to for work. but now that I'm by myself I feel worse. It's an uncomfortable feeling of tension and nervousness and insecurity. and I hate it.

I need to work on being ok by myself

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭heyday30

stinkle wrote: »
    So out of sorts today. Most anxious I've been in a long time. Am so busy too and feel I won't be right till after a meeting on weds... Bleh. Stomach is upset, ive the dread and tightness in chest and so tired. Just going through the motions

Hi stinkle. I haven't seen ur name pop up in a while. Hope you getting on ok.

I think it's the general consensus today has been Sh1te.
    Im hoping it's short lived.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement