Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Gongoozler - I just basically don't trust hypnotherapy so feel it a bit pointless tbh.

Frogs - it's not really carried out as far as I'm aware anyway.. I only mentioned it to let you all know that I've gone to great lengths to address my problems so other people on this thread would know that it is damn difficult to get help and that you will run into a few walls. Think I am just trying to encourage people to keep going. If I can I swear anyone can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Had my 2nd therapy today and i just don't fell right speaking to the therapist about things so i am going to see can i find another one as just don't fell conferable around her.

But other then that it has been a good week for my panic attacks only had the one but it was when i was with friends in the back of the car i was quite embarrassed over it but they wonted to stop the car and see was i ok and see did i won't to get out and have fresh air

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Well done Sam, I persevered with a therapist who a clearly didn't click with for some reason so at least you have figured that out early. Good to hear you have supportive friends too. I'm always embarrassed in situations like that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Was anxious enough today again. I hope this doesn't happen again for the rest of the week ahead.

Hey Hugo, was there anything behind it or was it a general kinda thing? Hope it doesn't happen again too though..

• Advertisement

Hey Hugo, was there anything behind it or was it a general kinda thing? Hope it doesn't happen again too though..

Just general really. Fingers crossed it'll pass soon.

Thanks Grem :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

Gongoozler - I just basically don't trust hypnotherapy so feel it a bit pointless tbh.

Frogs - it's not really carried out as far as I'm aware anyway.. I only mentioned it to let you all know that I've gone to great lengths to address my problems so other people on this thread would know that it is damn difficult to get help and that you will run into a few walls. Think I am just trying to encourage people to keep going. If I can I swear anyone can.

Yes I have definitely hit a wall this month. My depression is apparently over. Now I just have to sort out the borderline personality traits. Which will be a six month group therapy programme using dbt principles. I an still waiting for a start date when is not helping at all. And now I may have social anxiety as well. The problem with mental health is that if you ignore it then you get worse not better. I wish i got help years ago. I knew I wasnt completely better but I am devastated that i have more hurdles to overcome.

It has robbed me of years of my life. I have lost friends, jobs, failed college courses, relationships, my personality, my self esteem and has affected my relationship with my family. Mental health problems suck.

Not talking about anyone in particular in this thread but when I see people not going to their gp or not seeking help, it actually upsets me. I know it's strange as we are all strangers. But I wish all of us will get better. And I know it's a long journey but i hope we all get there. And that it will be worthwhile. Because feeling like ****e constantly is no way to live. We all deserve a happy and healthy life.

greenfrogs wrote: »
    It has robbed me of years of my life. I have lost friends, jobs, failed college courses, relationships, my personality, my self esteem and has affected my relationship with my family. Mental health problems suck.

Not talking about anyone in particular in this thread but when I see people not going to their gp or not seeking help, it actually upsets me. I know it's strange as we are all strangers. But I wish all of us will get better. And I know it's a long journey but i hope we all get there. And that it will be worthwhile. Because feeling like ****e constantly is no way to live. We all deserve a happy and healthy life.

I'm sure a lot of us in here can relate to that GF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

I tried a few different hypnotherapists a few years back. I think it might be better used for quitting smoking or losing weight but long standing mental illness i dont think so. Hope 2moro is better day for u guys.

Have the group part of my dbt course after work.. After that it'll be bed for as long as I can get away with..

• Advertisement

mg1982 wrote: »
    Hope 2moro is better day for u guys.

I hope so too, for us all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Anyone here on citalopram? I know the first few weeks of taking anti depressants you're supposed to experience side affects but I didn't expect to vomit, not be able to sleep and get muscle tremors all after one tablet. Based on the leaflet muscle tremors are a serious side effect and you have to stop the medicine straight away so waiting for a call from my GP now to see. If they keep me on them I hope the tremors subside pretty fast because I'm a waitress and would rather not throw food over someone. :P

Feel completely down today. I have spent most of the day crying. All the techniques I learned in cbt are totally useless to me now. But maybe I just don't want to feel better. I'm so annoyed with my counsellor and with life in general. I never asked to me like this. I feel a burden to my family. I feel I'm becoming very institutionalised. Very dependent on meds therapy counsellors and doctors. Very lost at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

Psychiatrist has decided to change my meds from lexapro to venlafaxine. I had never heard of it but a quick Google brings up a lot of information about suicidal thoughts and attempts - does anyone have any experience with this medication?

Lexapro has helped my anxiety a lot but depressive episodes are getting a lot worse :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

It's been a weird week for me this week. Much more upbeat than normal but very agitated, everything is bothering me. Kinda thought the Lexapro might be finally kicking in, maybe it is. If this is it kicked in I don't like it. Had quite an anxious day today. Ugh. Have counselling tomorrow, again with the weird feeling. Feeling like a fraud going in, it's like my mood is weirdly higher than normal so I don't feel "bad", if you get me, but I'm still really agitated. Really not feeling normal at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

Feel completely down today. I have spent most of the day crying. All the techniques I learned in cbt are totally useless to me now. But maybe I just don't want to feel better. I'm so annoyed with my counsellor and with life in general. I never asked to me like this. I feel a burden to my family. I feel I'm becoming very institutionalised. Very dependent on meds therapy counsellors and doctors. Very lost at the moment.

You're not a burden on anyone greenfrogs. And there is no shame on needing to depend on meds, therapy etc when you are unwell. The techniques you've learned aren't useless - if they helped you before they will help you again. Just because you've been diagnosed with something new doesn't mean you're a totally different person now. There are so many ****ty traits within BPD, but there are some good ones too. People with BPD tend to be more creative, insightful and empathetic. I know exactly how you feel though, I really do. I'd say most of us on this thread have wondered whether or not we actually want to feel better. Because even though we feel like ****, we are used to it and it can be pretty comfortable in the mental illness bubble. Change is scary and difficult. But others have come out the other side of things, so why shouldn't we be able to as well. Hope you feel better soon.
    Aeternum wrote: »
    Psychiatrist has decided to change my meds from lexapro to venlafaxine. I had never heard of it but a quick Google brings up a lot of information about suicidal thoughts and attempts - does anyone have any experience with this medication?

Lexapro has helped my anxiety a lot but depressive episodes are getting a lot worse :(

I've been on varying doses of venlafaxine for the past five years. It's alright, don't imagine it causes any more suicidal thoughts than other meds do at the start/when upping a dose. First few weeks of any new meds are always a bit ****. Only different thing I notice with venlafaxine compared to others I've been on is that you get more brain foggy if you miss a dose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭heyday30

Aeternum wrote: »

Hi A.
    I was changed from lexapro to venlafaxine 2 years ago.
    I find it good.
    like all new anti d's it will take a while for your body to adjust.
    Try not look up Google on it. It'll scare the bejasus out of you. You will need to be monitored closely to find a dose that suits you.

sorry to hear your going through A tough time greenfrogs.
    you are not a burden x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

Having a horrible day today there's alot going on in my life and im lying here panicking just crying cant relax wish life was easier.

hollster2 wrote: »
    Having a horrible day today there's alot going on in my life and im lying here panicking just crying cant relax wish life was easier.

Sorry to hear Hollster.
    Try a few deep breaths.
    vent away on here, we'll listen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

Thanks heyday calmed down after deep breaths but still didn't get much sleep, it helps talking on here.

Yesterday was another tough mofo of a day. Still it's challenging me and making me think a bit, exhausting and draining and feeling bloody low today.

Yesterday was another tough mofo of a day. Still it's challenging me and making me think a bit, exhausting and draining and feeling bloody low today.

Everything ok grem.
    I hope your able to Relax a little bit. X

The stress is the thing that's getting to me.. I'm pulling muscles all over the place. All my back and arms plus bits of my legs all wrecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

I've been on varying doses of venlafaxine for the past five years. It's alright, don't imagine it causes any more suicidal thoughts than other meds do at the start/when upping a dose. First few weeks of any new meds are always a bit ****. Only different thing I notice with venlafaxine compared to others I've been on is that you get more brain foggy if you miss a dose.
    heyday30 wrote: »
    Hi A.
    I was changed from lexapro to venlafaxine 2 years ago.
    I find it good.
    like all new anti d's it will take a while for your body to adjust.
    Try not look up Google on it. It'll scare the bejasus out of you. You will need to be monitored closely to find a dose that suits you.

Thanks for the input guys, I know googling stuff is the worst idea ever. But it can be hard to resist sometimes :rolleyes: I started lowering my lexapro dosage down to 10mg today and should be starting the venlafaxine in a week or so. Have an appointment with psych again in 6 weeks to see how it's going, hopefully there should be a noticeable improvement :o

Hope everyone is having an okay day x

Fingers crossed for you Aeternum, can take some juggling to find right meds and because of their very nature it's a slow process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

The stress is the thing that's getting to me.. I'm pulling muscles all over the place. All my back and arms plus bits of my legs all wrecked.

Whats causing you to pull muscles, is it because you are tensed up all the time?

mg1982 wrote: »
    Whats causing you to pull muscles, is it because you are tensed up all the time?

Exactly that.. It's gotten quite severe recently, nearly always limping or something.

That's sounds painful Gremlinertia. I hope it passes soon.

I feel a lot better today. I was upset at the end of a friendship at the start if the week. I was really upset, angry and lashed out at the person. I thought I had relapsed and was back to square 1. However my counsellor and mom have been very supportive these last few days.

Even to just know my feelings were normal was nice to hear.

I feel like such a loser sometimes though.

• Advertisement

That's sounds painful Gremlinertia. I hope it passes soon.

I feel a lot better today. I was upset at the end of a friendship at the start if the week. I was really upset, angry and lashed out at the person. I thought I had relapsed and was back to square 1. However my counsellor and mom have been very supportive these last few days.

Even to just know my feelings were normal was nice to hear.

I feel like such a loser sometimes though.

Heya gf
    good to hear you have support. Some friendships come and go. The true ones stay.

I feel a complete tosser and looser sometimes too. Sometimes it's hard being so hard on yourself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement