Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭alaskayoung

Got taken off Seroquel for Tachycardia today and don't think I'm ever gonna sleep again :P
    3 weeks in psych ward & going stir crazy aagh. Don't think it's gonna make too much of a difference how long I'm in here to to be honest. I just need to put in a lot of work with my psychologist to try and control my BPD traits. Mood swings are so intense & overwhelming. Supposed to be sitting my leaving cert in 11 weeks too :O This wasn't exactly part of the plan ;) Ah well. Nothing lasts forever..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Got taken off Seroquel for Tachycardia today and don't think I'm ever gonna sleep again :P
    3 weeks in psych ward & going stir crazy aagh. Don't think it's gonna make too much of a difference how long I'm in here to to be honest. I just need to put in a lot of work with my psychologist to try and control my BPD traits. Mood swings are so intense & overwhelming. Supposed to be sitting my leaving cert in 11 weeks too :O This wasn't exactly part of the plan ;) Ah well. Nothing lasts forever..

You have been through an awful lot by the sounds of it AY. How did you end up in a psych ward or was it voluntarily? I hope at least it was some benefit to you or will be in the long run. Leaving cert in eleven weeks, dont put too much pressure on yourself because your mental health comes first.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭alaskayoung

mg1982 wrote: »
    You have been through an awful lot by the sounds of it AY. How did you end up in a psych ward or was it voluntarily? I hope at least it was some benefit to you or will be in the long run. Leaving cert in eleven weeks, dont put too much pressure on yourself because your mental health comes first.

My psychologist sent me into A&E and I was admitted. Yeah, technically I'm voluntary meaning I signed the papers on the way in, but if you actually try to leave they just section you under some mental health act and make you involuntary, so it doesn't really mean anything :P
    Thank you :) It's tough being here but I think it'll be a good thing in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

how are we folks....

I'm asking this out of interest maybe people here have experienced it? can being diagnosed with anxiety,depression or anything related in this thread effect your future job prospects?

are they things you'd have to declare when going for a job if asked?

carzony wrote: »
    how are we folks....

I'm asking this out of interest maybe people here have experienced it? can being diagnosed with anxiety,depression or anything related in this thread effect your future job prospects?

are they things you'd have to declare when going for a job if asked?

It shouldnt because its against the law to discriminate against people who have mental health issues. You do have to declare it if your applying for a job, even if your on medication you have to tell them what you are taking. The good news is that it never effected me getting a job when i did let them know this information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭MojoRisinnnn

That sounds like an awful to go through at such a young age, wishing you all the positive thoughts in the world and the vesy best of luck in the Leaving Cert.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

Best of luck with everything. I did the LC two years ago - seriously isn't as big a deal as everyone makes it out to be. Important thing to remember at the moment is that your health should come first. Focus on getting better - school can wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

It shouldnt because its against the law to discriminate against people who have mental health issues. You do have to declare it if your applying for a job, even if your on medication you have to tell them what you are taking. The good news is that it never effected me getting a job when i did let them know this information.

Sorry, just to correct this, it's illegal to discriminate based on disability. but
    1) it doesn't mean it doesn't happen
    2) many mental health issues aren't considered disabilities.

And no, you don't have to disclose what medication you're on, unless it's necessary for them to know for insurance reasons or otherwise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

My psychologist sent me into A&E and I was admitted. Yeah, technically I'm voluntary meaning I signed the papers on the way in, but if you actually try to leave they just section you under some mental health act and make you involuntary, so it doesn't really mean anything :P
    Thank you :) It's tough being here but I think it'll be a good thing in the long run.

at least your off school

on another note. the leaving cert is vastly overhyped. teachers do put pressure on students. after this is college and then the real world and the real world is the toughest of the lot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭heyday30

Roquentin wrote: »
    at least your off school

on another note. the leaving cert is vastly overhyped. teachers do put pressure on students. after this is college and then the real world and the real world is the toughest of the lot

Couldn't agree more Roquentin. Leaving cert is too much pressure. At that age the brain is still developing together with hormones and everything else I think it's ridiculous.

On a positive note I actually went out for a walk this morning as in outside where people are :O

Small thing to some major for me. I just didn't think about it just went.

• Advertisement

heyday30 wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more Roquentin. Leaving cert is too much pressure. At that age the brain is still developing together with hormones and everything else I think it's ridiculous.

On a positive note I actually went out for a walk this morning as in outside where people are :O

Small thing to some major for me. I just didn't think about it just went.

And what a lovely day it was for a walk. Hope you enjoyed it.

And what a lovely day it was for a walk. Hope you enjoyed it.

I did mg thanks any day I manage to get out I treasure it.

Hope you are well

Im doing ok heyday thanks, will be heading out soon for my own walk, looks to be frosty out there, love those type of nights.

Im doing ok heyday thanks, will be heading out soon for my own walk, looks to be frosty out there, love those type of nights.

That's good.
    I love those crisp nights too :)

You can really see the stars on nights like tonight which i like. Looking at them seems to give me a sense of perspective. How small we are down here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

You can really see the stars on nights like tonight which i like. Looking at them seems to give me a sense of perspective. How small we are down here.

Sight-of-the-stars-makes-me-dream.jpg

Roquentin wrote: »
    Sight-of-the-stars-makes-me-dream.jpg

It certainly broadens the imagination looking at them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

It certainly broadens the imagination looking at them.

Indeed it does. I love when there is a clear night sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 871Mars

Guys, what's it all about? I'm lying in bed and it's nearly 11pm. I have to be up at 5am for a 12 hour shift that starts at 6am and my head/thoughts won't stop running.

Bedtime is the worst. At least I can distract myself during the day but at night it's just me and my thoughts. I'm trying to figure out what's going on in my head and all I can think is how much I don't like myself. I'd go so far as to say that I hate myself. I find myself physically repulsive. I'm nearly 28, overweight and have never been in a relationship. I have never even kissed anyone. I'm not sure if I want to but I can't get over my disgust for myself to even try. A guy at work asked me out last year and the thought terrified me so much I said no. He is a total sweetheart and we're still good friends. The potential of what it could lead to was too much. Sometimes I feel lonely but I have real difficulties being around people. I feel stupid and ugly. And no matter how much I know that my size makes me deeply unhappy, I can't seem to do anything about it. I feel like because I am nearly 28 and haven't as much as kissed a boy, no matter what else, that people will think that I'm a freak. My parents are still together but my father treats my mum really badly and I guess I'm afraid of ending up in the same situation. In some ways I still feel like a child but I finding it really hard to live my life this way. Is there supposed to be more to it? I still live at home and work in a job that I hate. I was never one of those people that knew what they wanted to fo with their lives. I just don't seem to have any drive to do anything to get myself out of the situation that I'm in. All I know is that lately life has become much harder and I'm finding it really difficult to hang on. I know that there are people out there that have gone through really bad stuff and I feel that I shouldn't be feeling the way that I am feeling because compared to them I have nothing to feel depressed about. I feel like I'm like I'm struggling through life, waiting for it to end. And right now the end would be so welcome.

871Mars wrote: »
    Guys, what's it all about? I'm lying in bed and it's nearly 11pm. I have to be up at 5am for a 12 hour shift that starts at 6am and my head/thoughts won't stop running.

Bedtime is the worst. At least I can distract myself during the day but at night it's just me and my thoughts. I'm trying to figure out what's going on in my head and all I can think is how much I don't like myself. I'd go so far as to say that I hate myself. I find myself physically repulsive. I'm nearly 28, overweight and have never been in a relationship. I have never even kissed anyone. I'm not sure if I want to but I can't get over my disgust for myself to even try. A guy at work asked me out last year and the thought terrified me so much I said no. He is a total sweetheart and we're still good friends. The potential of what it could lead to was too much. Sometimes I feel lonely but I have real difficulties being around people. I feel stupid and ugly. And no matter how much I know that my size makes me deeply unhappy, I can't seem to do anything about it. I feel like because I am nearly 28 and haven't as much as kissed a boy, no matter what else, that people will think that I'm a freak. My parents are still together but my father treats my mum really badly and I guess I'm afraid of ending up in the same situation. In some ways I still feel like a child but I finding it really hard to live my life this way. Is there supposed to be more to it? I still live at home and work in a job that I hate. I was never one of those people that knew what they wanted to fo with their lives. I just don't seem to have any drive to do anything to get myself out of the situation that I'm in. All I know is that lately life has become much harder and I'm finding it really difficult to hang on. I know that there are people out there that have gone through really bad stuff and I feel that I shouldn't be feeling the way that I am feeling because compared to them I have nothing to feel depressed about. I feel like I'm like I'm struggling through life, waiting for it to end. And right now the end would be so welcome.

I really feel for you.
    have you been to a doctor or councellor.
    Please try not to compare yourself to others in that way. You don't choose to feel like this.

• Advertisement

Not doing good

Gongoozler wrote: »
    Not doing good

Sorry to hear Gongoozler.

Any particular reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

Spent all day in bed with such a horrible headache and nothing could help. Finally decided to go for a walk this evening and practically had to run home to the toilet before I started vomiting. Feeling completely and utterly miserable - everything hurts. :(

Sorry to hear Gongoozler.

Any particular reason?

Too much to go into.
    Just ****. Tired of everything. I want to give up

I'm in my room, by myself. it's quiet. My housemate is asleep. I'm crying my eyes out. I have a feeling of loneliness. I'm sick of being a mess of a person. I don't want to keep fighting everything I don't have any back up for when things go wrong. I have no security. Very little self esteem. I don't have anything to hold on to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Hi everyone. I just wanted to chime in and ramble on about the thoughts in my head. I want to firstly say that anxiety and depression can happen to anyone and everyone can overcome it. I say this at a time i'm actually feeling quite low. I've been better, but i've been a lot worse too. What helps keep me going is that spark, that glimmer, that knowing....that it will be alright. That there is always a reason to keep going.

I treat people with anxiety and depression. I'm really good at it actually, because I can find the best in people when they can't find themselves. I won't say what I do exactly, but i'm a therapist of sorts. Even we get depressed from time to time.

It's important to know that there is always a reason for feeling low. Often there are a few reasons. The reasons are not always obvious and our minds can become muddled when we feel this way. It's somewhat comforting if you can say "there is a reason and i will find it". It's the beginning of knowing and of being positive.

I feel down at the moment, because I feel trapped in a broken body. I have been in constant pain for over 10 months after being rear ended in a car accident. I had no health insurance and I am left with a slipped disc in my lower back. This has meant that I require a walking stick to get around and I am only 31. I was unable to drive for several months and I can now only drive an automatic car for short distances. I spent a few thousand on medical expenses, which I am out of pocket for. I have not been able to work to anywhere near my normal capacity, which leaves me struggling financially. I Have 4 young kids and I can't lift them, or play properly with them. I am lucky to get asleep before 3am and the mornings I would describe as being tortured in hell. The pain I experience is not to be sniffed at. Medication (including morphine) has done nothing for me. I wasn't able to launch a business I was launching 2 weeks after the accident.

All in all, it was a pretty shîtty deal laid out before me, but I am alive. I'm still here with my wife and kids. I am confident that I will be better after I get surgery. I just have to bite down hard and wait. The spark is still there. Sometimes it's hard to see, but it's always there and there is always a reason to keep going. An important piece of advice I want to share......smile. Smile as often as you can, even when you don't want to. Get those endorphins flying and start to feel better. You're reading this...so you can do it. When you post a problem, post a reason to overcome it. Make it a good reason. Stay strong and ask for help when you feel you need it.

goz83 wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I just wanted to chime in and ramble on about the thoughts in my head. I want to firstly say that anxiety and depression can happen to anyone and everyone can overcome it. I say this at a time i'm actually feeling quite low. I've been better, but i've been a lot worse too. What helps keep me going is that spark, that glimmer, that knowing....that it will be alright. That there is always a reason to keep going.

I treat people with anxiety and depression. I'm really good at it actually, because I can find the best in people when they can't find themselves. I won't say what I do exactly, but i'm a therapist of sorts. Even we get depressed from time to time.

It's important to know that there is always a reason for feeling low. Often there are a few reasons. The reasons are not always obvious and our minds can become muddled when we feel this way. It's somewhat comforting if you can say "there is a reason and i will find it". It's the beginning of knowing and of being positive.

I feel down at the moment, because I feel trapped in a broken body. I have been in constant pain for over 10 months after being rear ended in a car accident. I had no health insurance and I am left with a slipped disc in my lower back. This has meant that I require a walking stick to get around and I am only 31. I was unable to drive for several months and I can now only drive an automatic car for short distances. I spent a few thousand on medical expenses, which I am out of pocket for. I have not been able to work to anywhere near my normal capacity, which leaves me struggling financially. I Have 4 young kids and I can't lift them, or play properly with them. I am lucky to get asleep before 3am and the mornings I would describe as being tortured in hell. The pain I experience is not to be sniffed at. Medication (including morphine) has done nothing for me. I wasn't able to launch a business I was launching 2 weeks after the accident.

All in all, it was a pretty shîtty deal laid out before me, but I am alive. I'm still here with my wife and kids. I am confident that I will be better after I get surgery. I just have to bite down hard and wait. The spark is still there. Sometimes it's hard to see, but it's always there and there is always a reason to keep going. An important piece of advice I want to share......smile. Smile as often as you can, even when you don't want to. Get those endorphins flying and start to feel better. You're reading this...so you can do it. When you post a problem, post a reason to overcome it. Make it a good reason. Stay strong and ask for help when you feel you need it.

That was a hell of a setback goz you had, but you seem very strong minded and positive which is a great trait to have. I hope the operation works out for you mate and you can get back to some normality.

How true

How true

That is so true. Sadly nowadays beauty is only seen as skin deep.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

Hi Guys,

Sorry for another selfish post. There's something that's been playing on my mind a lot but I'm not sure if I've any cause to be so focused on it. I don't think I can raise this with my counsellor (yet?) or if I've any reason to.

I've been thinking a lot lately - basically about the last time I felt normal - and I keep coming back to the same point in my life..

When I was about 13 I discovered internet forums. There were a few people I talked to regularly and I got close to a couple of them, chatting every day on MSN messenger and stuff like that. This went on for about 18 months until one of them basically told me he was in love with me. So at about the age of 15 I was in a "relationship" with a guy online. The guy in question was from England, he was 29 when I was 15 and had just finished a masters in psychology. Around the time of my 16th birthday, we met up and I lost my virginity to him. He gave me some gifts. I still have one, it's a beautiful glass ball paperweight and it's gorgeous. I can't help shake the feeling that it's a bad idea to hang on to it. I'm considering getting rid of it, but I really love it... Anyway, that's getting side tracked.

We met once more, and all the time we were in a "relationship" he was convincing me to leave my home and go live with him in England as soon as I finished school. Eventually I met someone in "real life" who I liked, so I broke it off with the internet guy. He was so, so nasty and the amount of viciousness he directed at me was horrible. He's been in contact with me once since, but I have blocked him on facebook so hopefully he won't be able to contact me again.

When I think back, my mid-teens are the last time I remember feeling normal and like myself. After that I got really bad at school, didn't work, didn't study. I was often quite down and I planned to kill myself a couple of times... Almost went through with it once.

I guess I'm just confused. Nothing very traumatic or bad ever happened between us, I did consent to sleeping with him and being in a relationship with him but at the same time I'm now 26 and I can't imagine being with a 15 year old, let alone being with a 15 year old in 3 years time when I'm 29... They just seem like kids to me. So basically I can't help wonder if I'm making something out of nothing.

It's like I'm blaming all my past upsets, anxiety and depression on this one thing when actually it could just be coincidence with the timing..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement