Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭heyday30

Suas11 wrote: »
    No, I haven't talked to anyone about it.

They were but the consultant at the mental health clinic had me discharged as he thought I was doing fine. Since then, I haven't been monitored or had any appointments with any medical professionals.

That's pretty sh1t tbh.
    I'm not going to preach to you suss but would you consider going back to your G.P. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I don't know, I don't really see the point. The consultant always seemed patronising to me and never seemed to take me that serious even though I told him that I had intended to kill myself before. I just feel like if I went back that the same thing would happen again.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Ask to see another member of the team?. There is a point, it's you. No one deserves to feel like you do.. Find a different/second opinion I think might help..

Ask to see another member of the team?. There is a point, it's you. No one deserves to feel like you do.. Find a different/second opinion I think might help..

I did. I saw different doctors after him but it seems like he still had the final say over me being discharged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Zippie84

I did. I saw different doctors after him but it seems like he still had the final say over me being discharged.

Do you know if there's a local independent advocacy service who you could maybe access to help get your needs met? would be sh1t that it'd be necessary, but it's a route that may help...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I don't know where you are based but do you think you could try a different nearby area?.

Zippie84 wrote: »
    Do you know if there's a local independent advocacy service who you could maybe access to help get your needs met? would be sh1t that it'd be necessary, but it's a route that may help...

I don't really know, to be honest.
    I don't know where you are based but do you think you could try a different nearby area?.

I'm in the south east but I don't think so. I don't have a driving licence so that makes it harder to get around.

In that case what Zippie said - a Google specific to your local area should help, if not ask at your doctor's office.. There are always options it just takes a bit of digging.

I think it is worth looking into, cos you shouldn't have to fight to get help, and if you do, you shouldn't have to do so alone.

even just googling the name of your area and advocacy, see if anything comes up.

I know independent advocacy has been really helpful for me in the past, particularl when I moved from one mental health team to the other, and the new team really didn't put the right supports in place at all.

The fact that with the advocate's help I wasn't on my own trying to sort this helped a lot.

Hi Suas11

Just having a look online, and I'm thinking that even giving Irish Advocacy Network a call (contact details at http://irishadvocacynetwork.com/wp/contact-us/) explain the situation, and ask if they could point you in the right direction.

From their website, it says that you can self-refer to them, and based on the info at http://irishadvocacynetwork.com/wp/services/ they're likely to have somebody in your area who may be able to help you take things forward.

• Advertisement

Day one of three days worth of psych appointments, had guessed that today would be fairly straight forward since my file has been handed off to the DBT team, no such luck, a proper grilling by the doc. Was nearly bloody angry, like now i qualify for weekly therapies now the doctors will pay attention? Too tired for it though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Have to say i been very disappointed with the Psychiatrists i have met which has been 5 or 6 different ones. They dont listen just scribble notes and then at the end after i have told them whats being going on they say, so your doing well then and im like have you not listened to a fcuking word i said. I havent much faith in the mental health system tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

mg1982 wrote: »
    Have to say i been very disappointed with the Psychiatrists i have met which has been 5 or 6 different ones. They dont listen just scribble notes and then at the end after i have told them whats being going on they say, so your doing well then and im like have you not listened to a fcuking word i said. I havent much faith in the mental health system tbh.

yea they treat you like guinea pigs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

Day one of three days worth of psych appointments, had guessed that today would be fairly straight forward since my file has been handed off to the DBT team, no such luck, a proper grilling by the doc. Was nearly bloody angry, like now i qualify for weekly therapies now the doctors will pay attention? Too tired for it though..

Sorry to hear that. Dealing with professionals is so exhausting and difficult. Three days of it sounds tough without having to go over stuff again and again. Wishing you strength, Grem. Hope you find some benefit to today and the next couple of days.

Trying to quiet a screaming head today but get weepy any time I start succeeding so have to stop or will be bawling during lectures. Want to drop out. Dunno how I'm going to get through the week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

That you sounds like a rough few days especially when you weren't expecting a grilling. I have a psych appointment next week. Its only a month since my last. There was six months between my first and second apt which I am quite annoyed about looking back.

I hope they next few days are easier and you get some benefit out of the meetings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 spudger1

Roquentin wrote: »
    yea they treat you like guinea pigs.

I've only been to see one in my entire life.....but about as soon as i put my foot in the door, felt like he'd rubber stamped me and was shouting next.

'No no, you're wonderful, now pay up and get out.'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

spudger1 wrote: »
    I've only been to see one in my entire life.....but about as soon as i put my foot in the door, felt like he'd rubber stamped me and was shouting next.

'No no, you're wonderful, now pay up and get out.'

yea im usually in and out in under two minutes

Doctor: how are you feeling
    Me: fine
    Doctor: heres your prescription. see you in four months time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

The psychiatrists I've been seeing lately are actually pretty great I must say - much better than I'd experienced before. The consultant is lovely and actually listens to what I'm saying, and the regs are the same. I'm pretty lucky I guess. It's such a lottery, and totally depends on where you're based (the public system anyway, I don't know about private). It's unfair. Everyone should have access to a level of care which is supportive and more than just adequate. It shouldn't depend on where you live or how much money you have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

What makes it more difficult for me is that most of the doctors i see are either African or Indian, while i have no problem with that it just makes communicating that bit more difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭FaulknersFav

Have decided to make my first psych appointment in over a year. Been building up with a while, but it's hard to do. that front page of the Examined kind of fcked me up, was planning to go back and then I see that and feel like a goose. But my other half has her hand gently and firmly on my back so I better.

• Advertisement

Well done, I hope you get what you need out of it Faulkner

Have decided to make my first psych appointment in over a year. Been building up with a while, but it's hard to do. that front page of the Examined kind of fcked me up, was planning to go back and then I see that and feel like a goose. But my other half has her hand gently and firmly on my back so I better.

What was on the front page of the examiner?
    It's nice that you have a supportive other half.

She's been through a lot of CBT and medication over the last 5 years so she has travelled the road ahead of me. I'm lucky to have this support, and she is the only one I can really unburden myself to so she has made it clear that I need to share the load, which I get.

The front page of the examiner had a large picture of a person putting a pill in their mouth with a large headline saying "Our 40M drug problem".

It went on to give put lots of facts and figures about how many people are on medication. I found the headline and picture a bit fcked to be honest. Really sensationalising something that is a very sensitive issue for a lot of people. I have been medicated before and am anxious about my visit resulting in this again as it can be a rocky road. To see a national paper portraying it in this light was disheartening to say the least. Regardless of whether depression and anxiety are over-medicated it seemed like it was really striving for the shock factor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

greenfrogs wrote: »
    It's nice that you have a supportive other half.

I'd say that's something we all want and need in here.

She's been through a lot of CBT and medication over the last 5 years so she has travelled the road ahead of me. I'm lucky to have this support, and she is the only one I can really unburden myself to so she has made it clear that I need to share the load, which I get.

The front page of the examiner had a large picture of a person putting a pill in their mouth with a large headline saying "Our 40M drug problem".

It went on to give put lots of facts and figures about how many people are on medication. I found the headline and picture a bit fcked to be honest. Really sensationalising something that is a very sensitive issue for a lot of people. I have been medicated before and am anxious about my visit resulting in this again as it can be a rocky road. To see a national paper portraying it in this light was disheartening to say the least. Regardless of whether depression and anxiety are over-medicated it seemed like it was really striving for the shock factor.

I actually didn't see this article. However I have in the last month gotten really upset from reading stuff on the Internet about my particular issues. It actually was really upsetting and I was advised by my therapist not to read these. Especially because a lot of the information wasn't applicable to me.

She also mentioned that if I read a book about depression etc then I should check who the author is first. I have no idea who wrote that article in the examiner but maybe next time take note of who actually wrote the article and their qualifications for talking about this particular subject.

I have found my meds and cbt brilliant. I am now no longer depressed so the psychiatrist at my last meeting spoke about reducing my meds in the near future. Just from my experience I have found that the psych team don't want meds to be used as a long term solution.

greenfrogs wrote: »
    I actually didn't see this article. However I have in the last month gotten really upset from reading stuff on the Internet about my particular issues. It actually was really upsetting and I was advised by my therapist not to read these. Especially because a lot of the information wasn't applicable to me.

She also mentioned that if I read a book about depression etc then I should check who the author is first. I have no idea who wrote that article in the examiner but maybe next time take note of who actually wrote the article and their qualifications for talking about this particular subject.

I have found my meds and cbt brilliant. I am now no longer depressed so the psychiatrist at my last meeting spoke about reducing my meds in the near future. Just from my experience I have found that the psych team don't want meds to be used as a long term solution.

That is great to hear greenfrogs that sounds like fantastic progress. I found great success mediction too, and as was just mentioned medication is a personal subject.

I really should not have bothered mentioning that stupid article, part of the goal of such media rubbish is to get people talking about that particular paper. I just happened to notice the front page at work and it sucker punched me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Well done GF.

I fear I'm a lifer alas. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

Have a job interview Thursday morning - very nervous. Haven't worked since October. Don't know how I'd be able to handle working every day and dealing with so many people.

Aeternum wrote: »
    Have a job interview Thursday morning - very nervous. Haven't worked since October. Don't know how I'd be able to handle working every day and dealing with so many people.

Best I can say to you is one step at a time.. Focus all your energy at the interview for now. After that go into preparation mode.. Feel free to pm if you like

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 spudger1

Aeternum wrote: »

Fingers crossed for your Aeternum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement