Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

Aeternum wrote: »
    Have a job interview Thursday morning - very nervous. Haven't worked since October. Don't know how I'd be able to handle working every day and dealing with so many people.

Hi Aeternum I just wanted to say that I too am very nervous about returning to work and having to deal with people on a daily basis. I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone in feeling like this. Best of luck in your interview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Aeternum wrote: »
    Have a job interview Thursday morning - very nervous. Haven't worked since October. Don't know how I'd be able to handle working every day and dealing with so many people.

Best of luck in the interview A! :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Did my one to one part of dbt today. Tomorrow is group. Tough but today left me seeing the potential in it if I can keep myself going.

It must be tough working and having to attend a couple of health appointments a week. Therapy can be draining but can yield great results. It is really good that you can see potential. DBT seems to require a lot of commitment so fair play for doing it.

Did my one to one part of dbt today. Tomorrow is group. Tough but today left me seeing the potential in it if I can keep myself going.

Well done Grem! :)

Try to think of how well you will be after doing on this. Hopefully that will spur you on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

That's my motivation - a better quality of life through more peace in my head I hope..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

Well done Grem, delighted for you. That's not just a baby step, you seem to be making big steps at the moment. Well done :)

Oh it's all scary jumps the last few weeks. Where I'm getting the balls from is beyond me, but I'm not questioning it too hard..

That's my motivation - a better quality of life through more peace in my head I hope..

Exactly. I haven't done DBT but have done CBT and just how my thoughts in my head have changed is unreal. Nothing else has changed. Maybe that would upset other people but to me its good. It shows that I have the power to make my life better. For me it also shows that no situation is so bad that you won't recover.

Oh it's all scary jumps the last few weeks. Where I'm getting the balls from is beyond me, but I'm not questioning it too hard..

I think it shows how strong you are. You have the motivation and want to get better. I think that really is one of the most important steps towards recovery. Go you :)

• Advertisement

I'd love to give CBT a try again. Maybe to get a re-diagnosis too. I'm too afraid of messing up my relatively stable base though. Which is a form of pressure now that nags at me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

I haven't posted here in a while! I think my paranoia and irrationality were confirmed today. I knew my 1 year review was due this month and that rather large part of me was eating away at me telling me thinks like "You won't be working there for much longer anyway", and "Why on earth would they want to keep you on!" etc.

I had the review to day and, long story short, they're grand and happy with me and said that I've "hit the ground running" since joining them.

It's all good but I guess the depressing part is that I'm still going to go away and think the same old things again. It's changing that opinion of yourself that's the most difficult part and, until you do, it's impossible to take pride in any single one of your achievements in life, largely because you've convinced yourself that those achievements don't exist, or that somehow they're not achievements because you've only attained them through luck, good fortune, or that they were "so easy a sick pigeon could get them".

Think positive I suppose though. Or at least try! :D :pac:

Well done Wilberto on getting the good review! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

I aint posted here in a while either :) nothing new i'm still having problems but still remain easier to deal with than before..

I've been waiting 6 weeks at this stage just for an appointment with the hse councellor...... i'm starting to think i'll be forgotten about..

carzony wrote: »
    I aint posted here in a while either :) nothing new i'm still having problems but still remain easier to deal with than before..

I've been waiting 6 weeks at this stage just for an appointment with the hse councellor...... i'm starting to think i'll be forgotten about..

Good to hear that things are easier to cope with :) does your college have a counsellor you could see there while waiting on the HSE one?

Have gotten emotional lately. Kinda of on the edge constantly - not in an anxious way (still have my usual anxiety), lonely, needy etc.

Anyone else get ever go through phases of feeling like this?

Have gotten emotional lately. Kinda of on the edge constantly - not in an anxious way (still have my usual anxiety), lonely, needy etc.

Anyone else get ever go through phases of feeling like this?

Think I know how you feel Hugo. Been much the same myself the last couple of weeks. Trying not to be so needy that I drive people away cos I actually need my friends. Feeling a bit like I've been hanging on by my fingertips and now I'm losing grip a d starting to slide downhill to a cliff...

Hope things improve for you soon, Hugo. Sorry not to have any words of wisdom for you.

Think I know how you feel Hugo. Been much the same myself the last couple of weeks. Trying not to be so needy that I drive people away cos I actually need my friends. Feeling a bit like I've been hanging on by my fingertips and now I'm losing grip a d starting to slide downhill to a cliff...

Hope things improve for you soon, Hugo. Sorry not to have any words of wisdom for you.

Hanging on by fingertips was a great way to describe it.

I think the general stresses of being new in work coupled with some family concerns and a poor (nonexistent) social life has just drained whatever strength I had to manage.

This forum is a godsend for me I must admit :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

Going through a similar phase myself Hugo. I'm really on edge and feel rotten today (although I did forget to take my seroquel last night so that probably has something to do with it too).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭heyday30

I feel like am actually pushin the very few people I have in my life away.

I don't want to be with people full stop. That can't be right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭writer_lady170

Hi guys, haven't posted here in a while, there's been big changes in my life over the last 3 weeks (ending a relationship and starting college full time) and as a result my anxiety is kinda up and down. So far so good with the college but yesterday everything just got to me :( all the changes, I went in feeling ok, then got worse as the day went on and had to come home at lunchtime. On the more positive side, I got an invite out to bowling in a week or two which kinda surprised me, see how I feel at the time..

Hope everyone else is doing ok:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

heyday30 wrote: »

systematic of aspergers or schizoid/schizotypal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭heyday30

Roquentin wrote: »
    systematic of aspergers or schizoid/schizotypal

Really don't know Roquentin At this point

Really don't know Roquentin At this point

should look into them. they overlap a lot. could be avoidant as well or GAD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

I find myself doing the very same thing. Im constantly pushing people away or keeping them at at arms length, which results in me not having any friends for the last decade or more. I just dont trust anyone. Is it only recently you have noticed that heyday?

mg1982 wrote: »
    I find myself doing the very same thing. Im constantly pushing people away or keeping them at at arms length, which results in me not having any friends for the last decade or more. I just dont trust anyone. Is it only recently you have noticed that heyday?

what i invariably do is i move to a new area, become known in that area and then have to move again to a new area where im not known. being doing it all my life but have only seen the pattern of late. Its systematic of schizoid/schizotypal.

as of now i limit myself in what i do. basically i keep to myself and try not to meet people. that way i wont have to move again. looking for jobs where i can work alone.

i dont know what it is, but just have a fear of being known and when i am unknown i am more comfortable. i still have friends, but would only meet them once every few months. I have a poor tolerance of people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Roquentin wrote: »
    what i invariably do is i move to a new area, become known in that area and then have to move again to a new area where im not known. being doing it all my life but have only seen the pattern of late. Its systematic of schizoid/schizotypal.

as of now i limit myself in what i do. basically i keep to myself and try not to meet people. that way i wont have to move again. looking for jobs where i can work alone.

i dont know what it is, but just have a fear of being known and when i am unknown i am more comfortable. i still have friends, but would only meet them once every few months. I have a poor tolerance of people

When i did a personality test for my psychologist, pages and pages of stuff, the results showed up i had traits of schizoid personality type. Which makes sense to me. I am trying to fight it though and be more social but i dont think its in my nature to be social anymore.

I've never had a medical personality test. I'd be keen to see what it would show. I had a corporate one down with a consulting group last year which showed that I can be easily stressed, which is fairly on the mark.

mg1982 wrote: »
    When i did a personality test for my psychologist, pages and pages of stuff, the results showed up i had traits of schizoid personality type. Which makes sense to me. I am trying to fight it though and be more social but i dont think its in my nature to be social anymore.

yea a lot of these things involve training your unconscious. you could consciously say when i go out tonight i will be sociable but it would only be conscious. in order to fully change, one would have to train their unconscious to react differently.

its a chemical imbalance. just like depression or anxiety. excess or not enough of some chemical is been produced.

• Advertisement

I've never had a medical personality test. I'd be keen to see what it would show. I had a corporate one down with a consulting group last year which showed that I can be easily stressed, which is fairly on the mark.

well you can take one online. just google it. different tests though. myers briggs is one

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement