Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭heyday30

Interesting posts Roquentin thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Roquentin wrote: »
    well you can take one online. just google it. different tests though. myers briggs is one

Yeah the Myers-Briggs was part of the consultation. I'm an ISFJ. The guy also told me that I appear to hate myself and that he thinks I'll explode someday LOL :D (Not even joking there!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

I've never had a medical personality test. I'd be keen to see what it would show. I had a corporate one down with a consulting group last year which showed that I can be easily stressed, which is fairly on the mark.

It definitley is worth doing Hugo although for me the results made very uncomfortable reading.

mg1982 wrote: »
    It definitley is worth doing Hugo although for me the results made very uncomfortable reading.

In a way I'd be afraid of finding out something worse than just clinical depression. Then again, it'd have to be treated regardless. I don't know if I'm in a good spot yet to risk such a potential sudden change.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

Yeah the Myers-Briggs was part of the consultation. I'm an ISFJ. The guy also told me that I appear to hate myself and that he thinks I'll explode someday LOL :D (Not even joking there!)

remember the quote from anger management the film:

"Let me explain something to you, Dave. There are two kinds of angry people in this world: explosive and implosive. Explosive is the kind of individual you see screaming at the cashier for not taking their coupons. Implosive is the cashier who remains quiet day after day and finally shoots everyone in the store. You're the cashier."

• Advertisement

Roquentin wrote: »
    remember the quote from anger management the film:

"Let me explain something to you, Dave. There are two kinds of angry people in this world: explosive and implosive. Explosive is the kind of individual you see screaming at the cashier for not taking their coupons. Implosive is the cashier who remains quiet day after day and finally shoots everyone in the store. You're the cashier."

So I'm implosive then! :D

The diferences with schizoid and schizotypal are very interesting. With schizoid you havent much social anxiety and with schizotypal you have a lot but with both you tend to like your own company a lot more.

So I'm implosive then! :D

Think i am too. :D

Think i am too. :D

We'd make for good company so! :D

I think so. Just keep us away from automatic weapons. lol

• Advertisement

I think so. Just keep us away from automatic weapons. lol

But they're so much fun! :D

I think so. Just keep us away from automatic weapons. lo

Off topic a bit but I'd love to go to one of those shooting ranges. That'd get some anger out

heyday30 wrote: »
    I think so. Just keep us away from automatic weapons. lo

Off topic a bit but I'd love to go to one of those shooting ranges. That'd get some anger out

It is actually a good stress reliever. Just make sure its not at someone you dont like. :D

It is actually a good stress reliever. Just make sure its not at someone you dont like. :D

Can use you imagination surely ;)

Just pretend the target at the end of the shooting range is someone that peed u off. lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

My psychiatrist said she would refer me to a psychologist for a personality test. I think the term personality disorder isnt nice. Especially borderline personality disorder. What are you borderline? Borderline crazy??

I think one day I will explode with stress. I get stressed out so easily. I started shouting at brother today cos he was being annoying. He was like wtf.

Another girl I attend a course with sits beside me. I so regret sittng near her. She will ask me stupid questions and then talk over the lecturer asking me questions. How about go away and pay attention. Some people are so selfish.

greenfrogs wrote: »
    My psychiatrist said she would refer me to a psychologist for a personality test. I think the term personality disorder isnt nice. Especially borderline personality disorder. What are you borderline? Borderline crazy??

I think one day I will explode with stress. I get stressed out so easily. I started shouting at brother today cos he was being annoying. He was like wtf.

Another girl I attend a course with sits beside me. I so regret sittng near her. She will ask me stupid questions and then talk over the lecturer asking me questions. How about go away and pay attention. Some people are so selfish.

Can you move seats on the course gf? I couldn't put up with that at all.

The terms they use are very clinical and harsh alright.

Can you move seats on the course gf? I couldn't put up with that at all.

The terms they use are very clinical and harsh alright.

The terms are harsh alright.

No I can't move as we have to stay in the same seat as we are using computers. I missed the last session as I was feeling really down so I didn't go. So the today she was asking me questions about a topic that was covered during that session. So I'm doing my best to listen to the lecturer and she is asking me questions. I've begun to kinda ignore her now though. I'm just annoyed at her selfishness.

The terms are harsh alright.

No I can't move as we have to stay in the same seat as we are using computers. I missed the last session as I was feeling really down so I didn't go. So the today she was asking me questions about a topic that was covered during that session. So I'm doing my best to listen to the lecturer and she is asking me questions. I've begun to kinda ignore her now though. I'm just annoyed at her selfishness.

Ah screw that gf. Hard enough to do what ur doing going to lectures. Just tell her your trying to concentrate. and like your doing just ignore her she will soon get the hint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

Maybe you could say to her before the class that you're really embarrassed to bring it up and in no way is it about her, it's about you, but that your ability to multitask has been really bad lately and if she's going to ask you something would she mind waiting til after the lecturer is done speaking because you're having real problems lately and you're not hearing either person correctly. It might just be the hint she needs to make her realize she's out of line?

• Advertisement

Ah screw that gf. Hard enough to do what ur doing going to lectures. Just tell her your trying to concentrate. and like your doing just ignore her she will soon get the hint.

Yah I should have ignored her months ago. It's only an evening course so it's easier for me. I'm dreading going back to work. But really I am years behind everyone else in terms of a career. It's hard because all my siblings and cousins seem to have really good careers. Whereas I feel like the black sheep. It's partly due to mental illness but maybe it's that I'm just not good at anything. I'm sick of failing at everything.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

the anti psychiatrists often say the label of the disease (particularly something like schizophrenia) can cause so much damage to the person. being labelled schizophrenic and having people know you are a person with schizophrenia can be debilitating. so yea you have a point

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Most of the terms around mental health can sound off, i believe a lot is related to the way the words are interpreted - for instance, disorder is a lack of order or sequence, things aren't a row that is seen as 'usual' however considering how little is known about order/normalcy i personally try to use the primary dictionary definition of most words as they are usually neutral. I know it's a different approach to most, but it comforts me with my "emotionally unstable personality disorder"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

I agree Grem. Language does have a lot of power and meaning behind it, and can tell a lot about the approach/opinions of the people who introduce a term. With the stigma and prejudice that has surrounded mental illness it's not surprising that the language used to describe it has a lot of negative connotations, especially because the terms were created by people who most likely didn't have mental health issues.

Personally, I find it kind of empowering to be able to use the language used in psychiatry while turning it on its head. Yeah, depression or emotionally unstable personality are not the nicest labels to be put on me, but they're part of me and I will flourish regardless (although thinking that I'll flourish is depending on how I feel on the day :p). I guess it's kind of like the term "queer" - it's been used derogatively to describe non-heteroseual/non-cisgender people, but some people use it as a term to describe their sexuality and gender identity because they feel it's what fits them best.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

That's exactly where i'm coming from, i'm gay and i couldn't tell you how many times i was asked about whether it would be preferable to be 'normal' which automatically denotes me as abnormal and i think that applies to the topic of mental health in a similar way.

I think getting a diagnosis and being able to call my illness a something is actually quite important to me. Otherwise i just feel im making it all up and its all in my head. Somehow i think it would make it more tangible for me. But everyone is different i guess. Also having a certain diagnosis will determine what kind of treatment you will receive which is important too.

I think getting a diagnosis and being able to call my illness a something is actually quite important to me. Otherwise i just feel im making it all up and its all in my head. Somehow i think it would make it more tangible for me. But everyone is different i guess. Also having a certain diagnosis will determine what kind of treatment you will receive which is important too.

Yah I can see it from both sides. I think being diagnosed with any kind of illness can be quite upsetting. I felt a relief to have a psychiatrist tell me I had bpd traits. But it also hit a nerve. I was very upset in the following few weeks. I am glad that it has been identified and will be treated correctly.

Both the gp and psychiatrist mentioned they felt they were saying I had a problem with my personality but that I am a lovely person. I like Gremlinertia idea by checking the origin of the word. I think a lot are derived from Greek or Latin.

Ya it can be be tough to hear it when your given a diagnosis. When i was told i had schizoid traits it hurt me a lot but deep down i knew it made sense but my doc said that nothing is set in stone and that the diagnosis is there to describe a certain set of symptoms and not you as a person in your entirety.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Hey folks,

Well i've not been doing well lately, Things are still fairly difficult and i'm still having the breathing difficulties in the mornings..

I feel the health system couldnt care less either as the doctor is more than happy to throw any pills at me and the councellor seems to have forgotten about me.. I'm amazed i've been left this long without getting an appointment to talk to someone..

I'm not suicidal but I really feel bad anyone who really, desperately needs help quickly.. No wonder people complain about the state of the health service and the facilities for mental health not being there... How politicians sleep at night i'll never know.

• Advertisement

carzony wrote: »
    Hey folks,

Well i've not been doing well lately, Things are still fairly difficult and i'm still having the breathing difficulties in the mornings..

I feel the health system couldnt care less either as the doctor is more than happy to throw any pills at me and the councellor seems to have forgotten about me.. I'm amazed i've been left this long without getting an appointment to talk to someone..

I'm not suicidal but I really feel bad anyone who really, desperately needs help quickly.. No wonder people complain about the state of the health service and the facilities for mental health not being there... How politicians sleep at night i'll never know.

Sorry to hear of your troubles there. I hope things pick up soon for you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement