Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

*bro-hugs*

You'll get there though Scrim. We all will.

Thanks Hugo, 'cept I'm a girl :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Thanks Hugo, 'cept I'm a girl :P

I actually knew that! Force of habit from the other forums! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭heyday30

Some people r missing the tact and cop on gene.

I hate humans sometimes

heyday30 wrote: »
    Some people r missing the tact and cop on gene.

I hate humans sometimes

*hugs*

What happened H?

*hugs*

What happened H?

Just went out today. Ignorant comment made about my weight.

Like school all over again.

• Advertisement

Bastards! :mad:

Bastards! :mad:

Had a cry. Over it now. Thanks H :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

Some people are just rude. You have to wonder what kind of person feels the need to criticise other peoples appearance. The problem is them not you. Genuinely I think beauty comes from the inside.

People can be nasty little shits unfortunately. Getting comments and mocking has stopped me doing so much.

I just think it's wrong to judge people. And I think people are being taught collectively that it's okay to judge people by reality TV. All these programmes about people who are super-morbidly obese, or people with dwarfism raising a family, or people with rare medical conditions. It's nothing more than the modern freak show and it makes people think it's normal and okay to judge other people on how they appear outwardly. I try very hard to not judge people, I'd like it if people would take me as I am for who I am, so I try to do the same for others.

• Advertisement

greenfrogs wrote: »
    Some people are just rude. You have to wonder what kind of person feels the need to criticise other peoples appearance. The problem is them not you. Genuinely I think beauty comes from the inside.

Words hurt and stick. Easy to say hard to take back.

Scrimshanker you are so right. People do so much judging nowadays. If you question them in real life or on the Internet they don't care. The attitude seems to be in relation to reality tv is they put themselves forward so they should expect critism. They feel like they have a right to do it.

Nobody is perfect in the way they look. I have had people make negative comments about the way I look and honestly these people weren't anything special themselves. I think they do it to make themselves feel better.

Heyday30 words do hurt. I can still remember the sting of negative comments. I think I'll remember them for the rest of my life. But it hurts a lot less now then it used. I've definitely grown in confidence.

Normally tbh I shrug it off I'm a lot tougher these days. But caught unawares today.

fcuk them with a massive F. !!!

Normally tbh I shrug it off I'm a lot tougher these days. But caught unawares today.

fcuk them with a massive F. !!!

I'm so happy that you are feeling stronger. It's so liberating to be able to say fcuk them. Always walk with your head held high.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭MojoRisinnnn

Hey guys I haven't posted in this thread in a while and I also only occasionally post here but I do read the thread quite a bit, hope everyone is having a good weekend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

Hey guys I haven't posted in this thread in a while and I also only occasionally post here but I do read the thread quite a bit, hope everyone is having a good weekend!

you too :)

Always walk with your head held high.

That can be hard to do at times.

Hey MR! Welcome back! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

There not worth your day being ruined over heyday. Some people have no manners. Hope you feel better now.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

hey everyone, hope you're all doing okay. I managed to get called for a second interview for the position I applied for - never had to do a second interview before so its wracking my nerves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

Aeternum wrote: »
    hey everyone, hope you're all doing okay. I managed to get called for a second interview for the position I applied for - never had to do a second interview before so its wracking my nerves.

well done... :)

I hope the second interview goes really well... and no matter how it goes, getting past the first interview is still something to be massively proud of :)

• Advertisement

Sounds like you're doing well Aeternum! I hope the second interview goes well! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

well done... :)

I hope the second interview goes really well... and no matter how it goes, getting past the first interview is still something to be massively proud of :)

That's what I'm trying to focus on. It was a big step even to go to the interview so I'm happy that I did well enough to get through to the second round. Not even sure if I want the job being honest but I just feel like I need to try.

Aeternum congratulations. You should be really proud of yourself for getting so far.

That's what I'm trying to focus on. It was a big step even to go to the interview so I'm happy that I did well enough to get through to the second round. Not even sure if I want the job being honest but I just feel like I need to try.

Well done!

Try to remember that out of all the applications, all the CVs and all the first interviews, they like you enough to bring you back for a second interview. That's a huge achievement in itself and you should be really proud of yourself.

The best way I've found of handling interview nerves is to do a reasonable amount of preparation and to accept that certain things might be out of your hands entirely. It might not work for you, but if you want to PM me I'd be happy to help with interview prep :) What I've written below works for me, but it's very general and if you think it's going to make your nerves worse ignore it entirely!!

When it comes to preparation, I think there's three things involved.

The first thing I'd be asking is do you have a little bit of knowledge about the company? The amount of detail here obviously depends on the type of role you're going for. You don't need to know every detail and every client, but a general knowledge like the size of the company, it's geographical spread (if applicable), and the type of work it gets involved with should be enough. If it's a role involving defined progression through the company, a good browse of their website and a bit of googling (pick out a few recent stories if there are any) should give you plenty to work with in case you're asked anything about future direction.

The second question is do you know what the job involves on a day-to-day basis? The internet is generally great for this sort of thing, and if you think it's appropriate to the role and it's in a big firm, you can always ask their HR department to put you in touch with someone in a similar position so that you can find out directly about the day-to-day role. That's fairly common and in some cases, so expected that I've been in a position where that was just done as a matter of course. Remember, they want to hire someone who will be happy in the role. The best way of doing that is if the person they hire knows what is involved and expected of them. It's about being a good fit for them and a good fit for you.

The third thing applies if it's a competency based interview, have you identified what the key competencies are and do you have a couple of honest examples of where you've demonstrated those competencies? There can be crossover here, if you're asked about a time you demonstrated leadership, your answer can also highlight how you demonstrated decision making, time management and task orientation (just as an example).

As I said, feel free to PM me if you want and I'll do my best to help with interview prep, or even just to listen to what you're thinking about the upcoming interview and the role and anything else that's on your mind.

And well done, again. I hope you're allowing yourself some sort of reward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 spudger1

Excellent news Aeternum. Well done!

Earlier it occurred to me that when I was around 12 I began to really change. I began to become really angry, uninterested in school and used to write about wanting to die. Before that I was a really happy child who lived school. My parents found a piece of paper where I wrote I wanted to die and they couldn't understand and told me not to write such things. I used attribute it to being a teenager but i think that was when things changed for me. After this I always felt on the outside and that I was different to others. It's scary how long I have lived like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 anoymous33

hello forum can anybody here give advice on getting treatment for gad and panic disorder and major depression,,i never had much confidence,but wen diagnosed with this on top of everything else i struggle to even leave the house,,how do i reclaim my life back,im 33 and feel life is passing on and im missing out,,and too late for me? does anyone have similiar experience or is it just me that feels its too late??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Earlier it occurred to me that when I was around 12 I began to really change. I began to become really angry, uninterested in school and used to write about wanting to die. Before that I was a really happy child who lived school. My parents found a piece of paper where I wrote I wanted to die and they couldn't understand and told me not to write such things. I used attribute it to being a teenager but i think that was when things changed for me. After this I always felt on the outside and that I was different to others. It's scary how long I have lived like this.

I can relate to that GF. It was around 14 for me when i began to feel things werent right especially when i began to fantasize about death. Up till then i was your average teenager but was always a bit sensitive.

mg1982 wrote: »
    I can relate to that GF. It was around 14 for me when i began to feel things werent right especially when i began to fantasize about death. Up till then i was your average teenager but was always a bit sensitive.

I just thought it was due to hormones but looking back it seems there was more to it.I slowly detiorated over a long time. I was always sensitive. Still am. I used cry so easily as a child and teenager.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I never ever cried, a few times when well under ten after a fall or accident, after that nothing for years upon years. I've always wondered about it, finally cried when friends were dying. But just the once each time..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement