Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I'm very sorry, but medical advice is not allowed on the forum. I have locked this thread for now. I am contacting mods in other forums to see if I can move this to an appropriate forum.Please PM me if you have any questions.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

Meds dose doubled. Had a very bad weekend of it so phoned doc. Trying higher dose for a few weeks, then might have to look at other options if that doesn't sort things out.

Well done on ringing the doctor. I hope you are feeling better today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

I meant to add I must have talked to seven or eight therapist type people before I was ok with one. Also distraction is a part of my dbt so that sounds like a plan..

I suppose it's in part down to not getting far enough, some being completely useless, some just wanting to keep you there to make as much money from you as possible. I can't really afford, time-wise or financially, to have another shot right now.
    greenfrogs wrote: »
    Gongoozler would you consider cbt on a one to one basis? It's not fair on you to feel like this.

I did try for CBT one on one, a good while ago, but (as above) she just wanted to make money from me. I kept trying to sway it that way, but she just kept wanting to talk about my past.

I have a very good book on CBT anyway, I suppose having the time is tough.
    Hi gong,

Sorry you're in such a difficult place at the moment. For what it's worth, I think you must be an incredibly strong person to have survived having life stacked against you, from the sounds of what you're saying. You're still here, you have a job (doesn't matter why, the point is you have) and despite how difficult life is for you, you're still fighting. Not only that, but you're also kind and helpful to people on here. If you don't find that something admirable or to be proud of that's okay, but please know there are people on here who admire you.

You said earlier that people don't know you and don't know how little you perceive yourself to have achieved. That's true, but the same could also be said about what you know of what other people think about you. If you find others aren't kind to you, all the more reason to be kind to your self.

I hope taking tomorrow off gives you some peace, Gong.

Thanks for the kind words.

I took the day, and I'm glad I did. Though it makes going back tomorrow a little harder. I'm getting things done, so it helps with the pressure. Not feeling a whole lot better mood wise. Just back to trodding along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Gongoozler wrote: »
    I took the day, and I'm glad I did. Though it makes going back tomorrow a little harder. I'm getting things done, so it helps with the pressure. Not feeling a whole lot better mood wise. Just back to trodding along.

You know, sometimes just trodding along is ok. It can get you to a place where the ground is firmer and you can start to tackle your issues.

Hope the week ahead goes good for ya GG! x

Gongoozler wrote: »
    I suppose it's in part down to not getting far enough, some being completely useless, some just wanting to keep you there to make as much money from you as possible. I can't really afford, time-wise or financially, to have another shot right now.

I did try for CBT one on one, a good while ago, but (as above) she just wanted to make money from me. I kept trying to sway it that way, but she just kept wanting to talk about my past.

I have a very good book on CBT anyway, I suppose having the time is tough.

Thanks for the kind words.

The price of counselling is shameful. To pay at least 70 euro for a one hour session is too expensive. One of my counsellors gave out to me for not giving my parents money while I was on the dole. The absolute cheek of her. I was paying her 70 euro along with paying for doctors appointments and meds.

They used always want to discuss my past as well. I didn't have a traumatic childhood. I had a lovely one with a lovely family. In fact I felt one of the therapists actually damaged my relationship with my parents. She was blaming them for my current predicament. That did not help me.

Anyway the cbt I get now is free and one on one. It's from the hse.

I hope you enjoy the rest of your day off. Going back tomorrow may be hard but just remember it's only 4 days until Friday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

The price of counselling is shameful. To pay at least 70 euro for a one hour session is too expensive. One of my counsellors gave out to me for not giving my parents money while I was on the dole. The absolute cheek of her. I was paying her 70 euro along with paying for doctors appointments and meds.

They used always want to discuss my past as well. I didn't have a traumatic childhood. I had a lovely one with a lovely family. In fact I felt one of the therapists actually damaged my relationship with my parents. She was blaming them for my current predicament. That did not help me.

Anyway the cbt I get now is free and one on one. It's from the hse.

I hope you enjoy the rest of your day off. Going back tomorrow may be hard but just remember it's only 4 days until Friday

Paying 60 to see a gp for 5 mins is also shameful and I don't know how they are getting away with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

carzony wrote: »
    Paying 60 to see a gp for 5 mins is also shameful and I don't know how they are getting away with it.

consultants as well charge a fortune.

everything in ireland seems to be expensive. lawyers cost a fortune as well.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Roquentin wrote: »
    consultants as well charge a fortune.

everything in ireland seems to be expensive. lawyers cost a fortune as well.

Yeah, at one stage I was going to my GP every week, broke is an understatement.

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Yeah, at one stage I was going to my GP every week, broke is an understatement.

if i didnt have the medical card id be screwed. medication alone would cost 200 a month.

Too true.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

I think that is what bothers me most about people saying "oh if people just reached out the help is available". It's not. I've no doubt the people working in the mental health services are hard working, caring people who try to do the best they can for their patients within the constraints of the system they're in, but there just aren't enough public resources there. It seems you have to float around getting worse and worse before getting help.

I think that is what bothers me most about people saying "oh if people just reached out the help is available". It's not. I've no doubt the people working in the mental health services are hard working, caring people who try to do the best they can for their patients within the constraints of the system they're in, but there just aren't enough public resources there. It seems you have to float around getting worse and worse before getting help.

this is it. someone with bipolar has to be manic for two weeks and possibly do some abnormal stuff before they are diagnosed.

one has to crash before they can do anything to help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

I would be fecked without the medical card. I have some other chronic health issues that I take medication for too, so I would be out hundreds each month between regular GP visits and prescriptions.

Struggling a lot at the minute. Hugs to everyone on here. We'll get through it (I hope).

Struggling a lot at the minute. Hugs to everyone on here. We'll get through it (I hope).

*Hugs* We will EI, we will.

What's on your mind?

I would be fecked without the medical card. I have some other chronic health issues that I take medication for too, so I would be out hundreds each month between regular GP visits and prescriptions.

We will all get through it. One of my favourite sayings at the moment is 'this too shall pass'. I have been through so many bad times and I always come out the other end. Even though when that bad time is happening it's hard to be logical.

My medical card is a lifesaver too. It's so good that when I feel I need to see my doctor then I don't need to think about the financial side of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

Thanks guys. Ah I just have such a lack of motivation and don't want to do anything, which just ends up compounding my low mood and anxiety. I really need to get my ass in gear and just do something small because I know it will help me feel a bit better.

Really slacking on the self-care side of things. So going to do some of that tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

I really need to get my ass in gear

EI, I'm really sorry if this comes across badly but I actually found it a little amusing to see you type that because I say that to myself at least 2 or three times a day. It's so difficult! I know I should just start to do something.... But starting is soooooo difficult... I can relate :p You are not alone :D

Am back to feeling not so good. Have to try sleep though. I've taken half a xanax in the hopes it will help. should have taken it earlier.

I sat on my ass for most of today and polished off a tub of ben and jerrys as well. EI if you mean personal hygiene can be issue then that's me as well. Motivation is also an issue for me.

Feeling down at the moment. And its entirely my own fault. I checked fb to see a former guy I had a thing with and to see how's moving on. Sad fact is that he blocked my personal fb page so I created a new one to just stalk him.

Going to see psychiatrist tomorrow. I hope its a positive meeting and that I meet the same one from my last appointment. She seemed very competent.

I have a medical card atm but when i'm finished college and get a job i'm sure i'll lose the medical card which will be a serious blow financially... no wonder many people feel it's cheaper to not work..

Doctor was on telly a few weeks ago screaming that ''we have no money'' no wonder the price of it. After paying 60 i'd only go if i was dying..

• Advertisement

Yah once I start work again I expect to lose my medical card. The whole system is a mess. GP visits should be subsidised. My GP is 50 euro and its so much money. I'm sure it puts people off going to the doctor unless its urgent. Oh to be rich.

Oh to be rich.

or healthy :P:o

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Haha didn't think of that!.

or healthy :P:o

Funny :-P

You're right though. Money can't buy you health or time. I feel like I am losing both.

Very frustrated tonight. I have bpd traits. These stupid traits are definitely causing me to feel down. How am I going to get better if these aren't dealt with. I'm on a waiting list for a dbt type programme. I know I should be grateful that i have the opportunity to do it. But since last summer there were questions if whether I had bpd. Only this month I am referred for dbt. And gods knows how long I will be waiting. I feel like I've lost so much and I can't keep waiting.

And I am sick of people not understanding me. I didn't chose to be this way. In fact everyday I wish I wasn't. I know I can be difficult to be around but I really want to say a big **** you to all those who left me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Greenfrogs, I lost a lot of people too. Some I pushed against and they got tired of trying to push back in.. I feel guilty a lot over that.. I'm trying to invest my all into the dbt course which is tough but I'll say rewarding too. The biggest thing that gets to me is the loneliness which I feel I have been the architect of.. Like most on here I find it almost impossible to engage with people for friendship.. I get too anxious and I either run or act so strangely they run. More self defeatist behaviour. However it's early days on this course and I'm going to try to focus on myself a bit more because I'm not going to get over the anxiety until I understand me and what makes me tick.. I've always been a people pleaser to the point that I'm utterly ignorant of any of my wants or needs. Got to sort that..

I'm employed and I've got a medical card. If you're unemployed for over a year, I think, when you go back to employment you can keep it for 3 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Last night was one of those nights at work. Two people really got on my nerves, felt like giving them both barrels but typical me i didnt say anything, i lack the courage to be upfront with people. At least they were no AK-47s lying around.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

mg1982 wrote: »
    Last night was one of those nights at work. Two people really got on my nerves, felt like giving them both barrels but typical me i didnt say anything, i lack the courage to be upfront with people. At least they were no AK-47s lying around.

mg, sometimes the best thing to do is say nothing at all. Remember Bay Boys 2? Wooooooo Saaaaaaaaa, Wooooooooooo Saaaaaaa. :)

One of the best things about being like this is that it was allowed me to meet (at least online) so many others affected by similar issues through this thread. I don't know where I'd be without it.

• Advertisement

One of the best things about being like this is that it was allowed me to meet (at least online) so many others affected by similar issues through this thread. I don't know where I'd be without it.

Exactly, Between boards and facebook I have met numerous people affected by this and its encouraging to know im not alone and others feel the exact way I do. Its real life friends I find hard to make but I still have a few really good friends that I know when times get tough they are they for me, they are like my second family its amazing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement