Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

Haven't posted In a while, Im doing OK, not sleeping at all well but coping.

Been keeping something quiet but ill tell my fellow boardsies, I met someone new bout 4 weeks ago. Have met him few times now its very scary, very new but I am so proud of myself, really stepped outside my comfort zone.

He's nice, relaxed but im still not getting my hopes up, the wall is still there.
    Nice to be noticed though

• Registered Users Posts: 12 markg1961

Hi All, I am 53 and have been suffering from stress,anxiety, depression for most of my adult life. I have been stressed out most of my life and other than high blood pressure caused by stress, I am mostly healthy. I have gone for acupuncture and it has helped quite a bit with the anxiety.
    I have talked to someone but it was me doing all the talking and not really getting to what is wrong with me. I was on an anti depressant and while it did help a bit, it really does not solve anything. I stopped taking them as I was afraid of the side effects.
    The main reason for this post is for me to get other people opinions. I really do not like myself. I think I am ugly, old and I am a bit overweight and that it is all downhill from here. I don't have any friends and I have never been in a relationship as I think that no one would want anything to do with me. Being overweight, is something I have done subconsciously, that goes with this statement.
    I really do have to lose weight to bring my pressure down but I am very unmotivated. I have a good family and my aunt is like a 2nd mother to me but she is 85 but does not look it. I dread what will happen to me when her time comes. The one thing I fear is loneliness and it seems that what I fear most is very likely going to happen.
    I really do apologize for the disjointed rambling. But I am writing what is coming into my head. This will sound very simplistic but I just want to be happy for the rest of my life as I cannot change the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Keep up the good work H and it'll get easier and easy for you then :)

I got F all sleep last night (slept well into the afternoon Sunday :D:o) which resulted in me not getting tired until really late. Only thing was that I was on the early morning shift in work. Ended up with about 3 hours sleep if even. That made today so hard and had me with a low enough mood, mad anxious and all the usual bad thoughts. Gotta get some proper shut eye tonight.

For anyone taking Lexapro....
    My Chemist (Tesco), told me there was a generic now available and switched me over to it. €15 less every 4 weeks.
    My medication has dropped from over €100 5 years ago to just €26 now, thanks to generics.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

For anyone taking Lexapro....
    My Chemist (Tesco), told me there was a generic now available and switched me over to it. €15 less every 4 weeks.
    My medication has dropped from over €100 5 years ago to just €26 now, thanks to generics.

do the generics work as well as the real thing? I found that the generic zyprexa was different to the actual zyprexa. I dont know, maybe just me

• Advertisement

Roquentin wrote: »
    do the generics work as well as the real thing? I found that the generic zyprexa was different to the actual zyprexa. I dont know, maybe just me

They should be identicle and you should be able to switch without any issues. I have switched between branded and generics a few times over the years and never noticed any different effect on me.

Roquentin wrote: »

the main ingredient in the branded/generic is identical. The "filler" ingredients may be different.
    I tried the generic of effexor it made my stomach upset, had to go back to the branded.

markg1961 wrote: »
    Hi All, I am 53 and have been suffering from stress,anxiety, depression for most of my adult life. I have been stressed out most of my life and other than high blood pressure caused by stress, I am mostly healthy. I have gone for acupuncture and it has helped quite a bit with the anxiety.
    I have talked to someone but it was me doing all the talking and not really getting to what is wrong with me. I was on an anti depressant and while it did help a bit, it really does not solve anything. I stopped taking them as I was afraid of the side effects.
    The main reason for this post is for me to get other people opinions. I really do not like myself. I think I am ugly, old and I am a bit overweight and that it is all downhill from here. I don't have any friends and I have never been in a relationship as I think that no one would want anything to do with me. Being overweight, is something I have done subconsciously, that goes with this statement.
    I really do have to lose weight to bring my pressure down but I am very unmotivated. I have a good family and my aunt is like a 2nd mother to me but she is 85 but does not look it. I dread what will happen to me when her time comes. The one thing I fear is loneliness and it seems that what I fear most is very likely going to happen.
    I really do apologize for the disjointed rambling. But I am writing what is coming into my head. This will sound very simplistic but I just want to be happy for the rest of my life as I cannot change the past.

Hi, have you tried therapy/ counselling?
    I would highly recommend looking into CBT- Congnitive behavioural therapy basically it's course done over a number of weeks sort of changes the way you think and gives you skills to cope with anxiety/ depression.

Its very much focused on thinking in the here and now. Ask your gp for referel. Really does help.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I was delighted to finish work for a few days, and already i'm down.. Awake too early and too long.. The Robin Williams story has me rattled too, fame, fortune, family and friends can be there for you, doesn't always work.. Sad.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

So I'm back on Anti Depressants and Anti Psychotics. It's helping to alleviate my feelings of anxiety. I have begun to maintain some level of concentration, but I still find it dips quiet often. Is there anything I can do to maintain concentration and not lose my focus so I can continue improve in my new job instead of flopping.

• Advertisement

Itzy wrote: »
    So I'm back on Anti Depressants and Anti Psychotics. It's helping to alleviate my feelings of anxiety. I have begun to maintain some level of concentration, but I still find it dips quiet often. Is there anything I can do to maintain concentration and not lose my focus so I can continue improve in my new job instead of flopping.

I may have to go into my doctor myself. The concentration levels are dropping.
    I think it may have to do with the summer coming to a close and not working...

exercise maybe. Meet people. anxiety is a hard thing to control. Ideally there would be a button to flick it on and off. with GAD it can be very difficult to manipulate because the mind for some reason sees situations as anxiety ridden.

I don't know why but the death of Robin Williams has really affected me. Very sad such talent, have a lump in My throat.
    Media are not helping giving such vivid details of what happened.

Poor man, depression is a Loaded weapon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭Joya

Does anyone know about if there 's some kind of tea that is really relaxing but not making you sleepy...

My own levels of concentration have really declined. Have been for the last two years or so. I seem to be known as a bit of a space cadet in work now because of it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I got myself a book of crosswords recently, find it's helping a bit with concentration, so whatever kind of puzzle you like doing, that may help..

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭col89

Hi there,

I'm just about to return to antidepressants (I was taking Lustral for about 18 months, four-five years ago) and I was prescribed Xenex XL. Has anyone got any experience with it or ideas of the effects? I had a significant weight gain when I was taking Lustral, and I made it clear to my GP that if I were to go back on any medication, that I would want something that doesn't add on X number of stones. Is Xenex XL safe in terms of weight gain, etc.?

Any other information regarding the tablet is much appreciated. I went through a tough period for a while, and I'm just about to start a four-week course which demands my full attention (and savings!), so I'm willing to take the tablet once it can improve my performance, but with the hope that it doesn't bloat me (I lost six stone and don't want to gain back one pound).

Cheers guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 kilp10

Newbie here and not the usual kind of forum I tend to post in but having a bad evening so what the hell. Had a reasonably bad car accident just over three weeks ago where I was lucky to escape with relatively minor injuries, other driver came around a bend on wrong side of road and ploughed straight into me, couldn't do a thing. Problem for me is, it's my third bad accident in 4 years, none of which were my fault and I'm seriously struggling with this one. Not sleeping much at all, in relative pain reasonably controlled by meds and struggling with the emotions which is not me usually at all. My friends would consider me a generally strong tough one who gets through everything. But I was only just getting over the problems of the last accident and returning to my usual active lifestyle when this happened and knowing what I went through to work at achieving that, it's really getting to me that I feel like I'm back at square one again. I'm not one for drama or talking about my feelings etc, I'm not thinking dark worse thoughts but I am struggling with coping with this. My very close friends who know me well can see this but I'm not sure what to do. Writing it down to people who don't know me might help a little just to vent, just on an emotionally bad night where I'm afraid to sleep cause I'm not sleeping. ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Could be something like PTSD.
    Anyone here familiar with NLP?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,302 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I got myself a book of crosswords recently, find it's helping a bit with concentration, so whatever kind of puzzle you like doing, that may help..
    +n.

Puzzles/crosswords etc. can be great for keeping the mind busy (and therefore distracting the mind from some other focus).

I find it best to leave it down when I hit a roadblock though. When/if I pick it up later - I'm sometimes amazed at how many clues I can solve.

Even so, I realised a while ago that it is good to dump it (the crossword/puzzle/problem) after a while even if I have not solved all the clues. I very rarely check the 'answers', because who cares anyway. Check the answer if you want to analyse/understand the mindset of the problem-setter so that you can possibly solve future problems easier, maybe.. but that probably should not be the point of the exercise.

I know a couple of good crossword jokes (imo), but they are not relevant to this thread. :)

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,302 ✭✭✭✭Esel

kilp10 wrote: »
    Newbie here and not the usual kind of forum I tend to post in but having a bad evening so what the hell. Had a reasonably bad car accident just over three weeks ago where I was lucky to escape with relatively minor injuries, other driver came around a bend on wrong side of road and ploughed straight into me, couldn't do a thing. Problem for me is, it's my third bad accident in 4 years, none of which were my fault and I'm seriously struggling with this one. Not sleeping much at all, in relative pain reasonably controlled by meds and struggling with the emotions which is not me usually at all. My friends would consider me a generally strong tough one who gets through everything. But I was only just getting over the problems of the last accident and returning to my usual active lifestyle when this happened and knowing what I went through to work at achieving that, it's really getting to me that I feel like I'm back at square one again. I'm not one for drama or talking about my feelings etc, I'm not thinking dark worse thoughts but I am struggling with coping with this. My very close friends who know me well can see this but I'm not sure what to do. Writing it down to people who don't know me might help a little just to vent, just on an emotionally bad night where I'm afraid to sleep cause I'm not sleeping. ..
    My 2c here: Ship happens, and it sounds like it happened to you a few times recently. This does not mean that you are a ship magnet. Seems like you have a few good friends - keep in touch with them.

For ship, read sh!t... :)

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭col89

Also, a question for all general antidepressant-takers or individuals with knowledge of such tablets: Do you stay clear of alcohol altogether, or just try drink less at social gatherings/events/outings? I was clear of alcohol for the most part upon my first experience with antidepressants, but I have a pretty big social occasion on Saturday night and it wouldn't be right not to have a couple of drinks. What actually happens internally when you mix alcohol with the antidepressant? Will the effects of the tablet be 'stunted' for a few days due to consumption of alcohol (a depressant)? As I'm starting my course in two weeks' time, and the tablet is also supposed to come into effect in two weeks, I'm basically wondering if the alcohol would negate any benefits of the tablet for a good chunk of time -- say, anything over a couple of days -- when I want to be at my best for class presentations, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭petals rocks1

Can anyone help please. I suffer from depression the last 10 plus years and on antidepressantsStarted a course few months ago and two dramatic people have me plagued. Plus a close family member as well I feel like I cant handle their baggage. Its like I dont have any head space left for this. Anyhow I feel unhappy. Had an awful day yesterday. Was nearly in tears at course and two girls kept wrecking my head. Was never as glad to get into my house and to lie on bed and breathe. But I was raging deep down. Felt smothered. Felt like my head was going to burst. Just feel like ppl put their issues on me even silly minor stuff. Just dont feel able for it all .Is this part of depression? I find myself ignoring vibers calls etc from these ppl coz I cant handle dramaIs there somethin else wrong with me?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Can anyone help please. I suffer from depression the last 10 plus years and on antidepressantsStarted a course few months ago and two dramatic people have me plagued. Plus a close family member as well I feel like I cant handle their baggage. Its like I dont have any head space left for this. Anyhow I feel unhappy. Had an awful day yesterday. Was nearly in tears at course and two girls kept wrecking my head. Was never as glad to get into my house and to lie on bed and breathe. But I was raging deep down. Felt smothered. Felt like my head was going to burst. Just feel like ppl put their issues on me even silly minor stuff. Just dont feel able for it all .Is this part of depression? I find myself ignoring vibers calls etc from these ppl coz I cant handle dramaIs there somethin else wrong with me?

I went through something very similar to what you're going through but before I go further do you mind if I ask, has anxiety ever been a major issue? Anxiety disorder isn't talked about as much as depression and because of this it can be harder to recognise in yourself.

Horrendous panic attack today, worst in years though I was dying.

Any time I push myself, they happen. Went out today some place new fair bit away from home.
    Was fine for an hour or so then thought aw sh-t, I don't like this cue full panic attack.

GerB40 wrote: »
    I went through something very similar to what you're going through but before I go further do you mind if I ask, has anxiety ever been a major issue? Anxiety disorder isn't talked about as much as depression and because of this it can be harder to recognise in yourself.

Thanks for reply gerB40. Maybe anxiety was an issue but I never noticed to be honest. Really bad this last two weeks. Where I feel like I dont have any room in my brain for drama .

handbagmad wrote: »
    Horrendous panic attack today, worst in years though I was dying.

Any time I push myself, they happen. Went out today some place new fair bit away from home.
    Was fine for an hour or so then thought aw sh-t, I don't like this cue full panic attack.

Hugs for H

Can anyone help please. I suffer from depression the last 10 plus years and on antidepressantsStarted a course few months ago and two dramatic people have me plagued. Plus a close family member as well I feel like I cant handle their baggage. Its like I dont have any head space left for this. Anyhow I feel unhappy. Had an awful day yesterday. Was nearly in tears at course and two girls kept wrecking my head. Was never as glad to get into my house and to lie on bed and breathe. But I was raging deep down. Felt smothered. Felt like my head was going to burst. Just feel like ppl put their issues on me even silly minor stuff. Just dont feel able for it all .Is this part of depression? I find myself ignoring vibers calls etc from these ppl coz I cant handle dramaIs there somethin else wrong with me?

*hugs*

I can very much relate. Although my own diagnosis is clinical depression, anxiety was the initial issue I had and it still plagues me.

Does it sound like I experiencing anxiety? I thought I was been grumpy.well my sis told me I was a grump. What can help this and should I see a doctor

• Advertisement

Does it sound like I experiencing anxiety? I thought I was been grumpy.well my sis told me I was a grump. What can help this and should I see a doctor

A bit of it does. Like the being in tears part and having such relief to get home.

I'd definitely mention it to your GP or psychiatrist

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement