Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

College tomorrow. Anxiety gone haywire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

You can do it Scrim. Just try to put the anxiety down to the Sunday night blues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Have you long left before the summer break?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

My head has been all over the place this weekend. Don't know whether I'm coming or going! I'm almost looking forward to work tomorrow so I have something to focus on and something to distract me.

I hope everyone has a good Monday, and that it carries on for the week. :)

Wilberto wrote: »
    My head has been all over the place this weekend. Don't know whether I'm coming or going! I'm almost looking forward to work tomorrow so I have something to focus on and something to distract me.

I hope everyone has a good Monday, and that it carries on for the week. :)

Been funky enough this weekend too. Must be something in the air.

Here's to a hopefully alright week ahead.

• Advertisement

I only have 4weeks to exams and then I'm finished unless I fail some (crazy likely), in which case I have to spend the summer studying. I couldn't forgive myself that.

Really struggling to breathe this evening. Life is one big fcuk off mistake

I only have 4weeks to exams and then I'm finished unless I fail some (crazy likely), in which case I have to spend the summer studying. I couldn't forgive myself that.

Really struggling to breathe this evening. Life is one big fcuk off mistake

Maybe its the exams thats bringing it on, you never know. Your great to be able to go to college in the first place.

I'd say it is tbh. Work are paying for the course so lose my job if I fail as well as then owing loads of money to them for the course

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I'd say it is tbh. Work are paying for the course so lose my job if I fail as well as then owing loads of money to them for the course

Hmm. A lot hanging off it.. I think if you could try and separate the exams from the job for yourself until they are over it might be a plan of attack.. As for money, can't chase you for what you haven't got. Faced that one with a bank before..
    Not bloody easy by any means but someone here will always encourage you.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭dogcat

I feel depressed all the time, and it takes up so much enegry to do much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

Depression is so draining. Sometimes even getting up and dressed is an effort. Every little thing requires energy that at times I really don't have.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

dogcat wrote: »
    I feel depressed all the time, and it takes up so much enegry to do much.

Nail on the head there. Finding energy or motivation to do anything but wallow in being depressed is a massive task.. Start small, for me my personal hygiene suffered as I became ever more used to staying in bed. The very act of getting up to take a shower helped me.. Of course that's on a day I was able.. This isn't a twelve step programme, have you sought medical advice or anything yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭dogcat

Nail on the head there. Finding energy or motivation to do anything but wallow in being depressed is a massive task.. Start small, for me my personal hygiene suffered as I became ever more used to staying in bed. The very act of getting up to take a shower helped me.. Of course that's on a day I was able.. This isn't a twelve step programme, have you sought medical advice or anything yet?
    In a sense but they say "you test medicine in hospital" which I refuse to do as I can easily take medication in my home, like millioms of other people do. Psychiatrist was rude to me, so I left. He / she was only one in the area.

Personal hygiene is one of the first things that go for me. It's actually disgusting. And I feel worse by not showering. But once I get in to the shower I don't want to get out. I think if you try and maintain a good level of personal hygiene then it has a positive effect on you. But some days I don't even have the motivation to wash my face and brush my teeth. I don't know why though. Is it laziness or thinking to myself what's the point, I won't even be leaving the house.

dogcat wrote: »
    In a sense but they say "you test medicine in hospital" which I refuse to do as I can easily take medication in my home, like millioms of other people do. Psychiatrist was rude to me, so I left. He / she was only one in the area.

As in they want you to go inpatient? Have you done the route of starting with your gp and seeing what they suggest? Sorry that my questions are so obvious and stuff but I don't want to suggest things you've already done as it feels discouraging when people do it to me so don't want you experiencing the same..

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Unreg0909

Hello,
    Hope it's ok to post this question. I've recently been prescribed Lexapro for post natal depression and anxiety (my lo is 16 months but battling this for a while now) - I've started off on 5mg for the first week then to increase to 10mg and see how things go. My gp said there shouldn't be any side effects but obviously to let him know if my mental state worsens. I've only been on it 4 days - I'm having horrendous nausea and gastro issues- has anyone else had this? Just wondering if it's common and if I should stick it out or go back to him. Mods please let me know if we can post questions like this. Not looking for medical advice, just people's experience with this medication - thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭alaskayoung

Hey, I was on Lexapro a few months ago and didn't experience any nausea but had to be taken off it after a week because of other side effects. By starting off at 5mg before going up to the full dose, it usually helps reduce the severity of side effects but I do know that nausea is one of the most common ones experienced. Some people don't experience anything others will, everyone reacts differently. If you feel you can stick it out most side effects go away themselves within a week or two but if it's really intolerable or worrying you I'd definitely return to him and he might be able to prescribe you another medication that you can tolerate better. From experience, these things usually do pass though and any other medication you go on could present a whole different set of side effects so if you can, give it a chance, you've only been on it a very short while. Hope you feel better soon.

Today is a tough day. Feels like every muscle in my body is aching and extremely irritable as well. You have to ask yourself sometimes, what's the point of this? Life is pain.

Right there with you mg. Hope your day improves for you. Can you plan something nice for yourself later?

Does anyone find that rescue remedy works? I've been necking it all day to no apparent avail.

mg1982 wrote: »
    Today is a tough day. Feels like every muscle in my body is aching and extremely irritable as well. You have to ask yourself sometimes, what's the point of this? Life is pain.

I hear ya MG. *bro-hugs*

My anxiety was all over the place today and my mood changed as a result. I was getting ridiculously anxious over total insignificant things and was feeling pressured where I can rationally see that there was none.

I'm really hoping that it was just down to a poor amount of sleep last night. I've felt myself a bit off the last while. I hope to **** that this is gonna be the way things are again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

Try to take some preventative measures if you feel you're in danger of slipping Hugo. Stuff like ensuring you take your meds when you're meant to, getting enough sleep, drinking more water, eating regularly (even if it's not the healthiest food, at least make sure you're getting something), doing a little bit of exercise, mindfulness or journaling. And make sure and practice self-care too - set aside time to watch a movie or tv show, or treat yourself to something you've really wanted for a while. Be gentle with yourself.

Now if only I could take my own advice!! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 spudger1

I'm really hoping that it was just down to a poor amount of sleep last night. I've felt myself a bit off the last while. .

Hope this passes for you Hugo.

Try to take some preventative measures if you feel you're in danger of slipping Hugo. Stuff like ensuring you take your meds when you're meant to, getting enough sleep, drinking more water, eating regularly (even if it's not the healthiest food, at least make sure you're getting something), doing a little bit of exercise, mindfulness or journaling. And make sure and practice self-care too - set aside time to watch a movie or tv show, or treat yourself to something you've really wanted for a while. Be gentle with yourself.

Cheers for the advice EI.

I'm like a stubborn toddler at times when it comes to going to sleep. :pac: :o
    spudger1 wrote: »
    Hope this passes for you Hugo.

Thanks S! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 spudger1

It’s my dream to do medicine and become a psychiatrist so that I can help other people who have gone through similar things in their lives. I can’t imagine doing anything else that I care more or feel more passionately about. But right now I can’t do it, I’m not able. There are other means and ways and they may not be perfect or exactly what I wanted and that’s hard but that’s okay. I’m going to say to myself the same thing that one of my nurses said to me. “Not never, just not now”.

Now that i've read a bit more from you alaskayoung, i can see you're an intelligent, thoughtful person. I am quite certain that you will do very well in your chosen field.

But before you can help others, you have to help yourself first.

Things might not fall into place overnight, but you've plenty of time yet, and i'm quite certain it will all pan out for you.

That's really good advice EI. I find it really beneficial to have a time frame in my mind. For example if you are home from work at 5. Then relax and have dinner. Then maybe from 6 to 8 or 9 do some exercise, writing, reading, catching up on boards, household chores etc. Then watch some tv or a film. Sometimes I find myself spending far too much time on the internet aimlessly looking at rubbish really. I try to do something different instead.

Also I find eating healthy really difficult at times. Try and ensure that you have a good breakfast and lunch though. Food that will give you energy throughout the day. I usually treat myself to some chocolate or sweets everyday though. It's something to look forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

Fair play to you alaskayoung. :) There is so much time for you to go back and sit the leaving cert- you are so young and right now your health is the most important thing as opposed to a few letters and numbers on a page. You are going to make a great psychiatrist one day, you are well driven and you know how to identify how you're feeling and that is extremely admirable.

Great thread here guys :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRqi44-IAibCRnZobDDDsCTOVBJp7rsTLa4jKiTvoMFY8kbbLva

Thanks guys. I have work tonight so will have to get through that first. Just sick of going around in circles. There seems to be more bad days then good.

Today is one big fat fail

• Advertisement

Today is one big fat fail

Sorry to hear that Scrim.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement