Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

I suffer with panic / anxiety since feb 1998 and i'm only 33 , does anybody else feel like their not strong enough to beat / cope with it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

I suffer with panic / anxiety since feb 1998 and i'm only 33 , does anybody else feel like their not strong enough to beat / cope with it ?

I get waves of that here. It can come and go. Not a good belief at all I must say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

I get waves of that here. It can come and go. Not a good belief at all I must say.

Im going through alot of **** at the mo

Relationship break-up ( i've 2 gorgeous kids ) who will be living with their mam

No job , maintenance worries

Anxiety worries

Im going through alot of **** at the mo

Relationship break-up ( i've 2 gorgeous kids ) who will be living with their mam

No job , maintenance worries

Anxiety worries

Sorry to hear that man. That all sounds like it would drive up the anxiety levels.

You will get through all that though. You will get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Thanks for reply gerB40. Maybe anxiety was an issue but I never noticed to be honest. Really bad this last two weeks. Where I feel like I dont have any room in my brain for drama .

Sorry for taking a while with the reply. My advice would be see a GP ASAP. I'm no qualified doctor but if anxiety is in fact a major issue with you at the moment then please feel free to ask me anything you want about it. I can only give you my experiences of it but perhaps my experiences may help you.

Remember that everyone on this thread will be more than willing to help you so you're definitely not alone...

• Advertisement

As a long time sufferer of anxiety disorder I completely empathise with you. Now as far as I know, the feeling of not being strong enough to beat it is the epitome of anxiety. I felt I would never ever have a life again and the worst thing was, I learned to be okay with that. I just became a hermit and barely left my room for 7 years..

The reason I'm telling you this (I've told very few people but they knew) is because at the moment I'm feeling better than I have in years so it definitely isn't the end of the world.

It can be beaten.....

Best of luck bud, any advice you need is on this very thread but remember, a qualified doctor is usually more reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Hi there,

I've read this thread with interest and can relate to a lot of it. I'll share some of my story.

I'm a 32 year old single male who had recently relocated to Canada. Over the last couple of weeks, my anxiety has been at it's very worst. I think it's the culmination of a very rough couple of years. In a nutshell, during the last few years: I've been out of work for long periods, my parents had to sell their home and have gone through an acrimonious separation, both parents treated for depression and one for alcoholism, one parent has chronic gambling problems, have an estranged relationship with father and brother (drug abuser) and last month my mother was diagnosed with cancer. And I've been struggling to get full time work out here and it isn't easy. So there you go.

I've only come to grips with my anxiety problems in recent times. Even as a child I was labelled a worrier but it's far deeper than that and I've learned more as nice gotten older and read up on the subject. I am mindful of it and try to cope. I also have many of the symptoms of depression and I'm fearful these things are going to dominate my life as they have done. I think my anxiety issues are at the core of me as a person and have played a role in the fact I can't drive, have never had a meaningful relationship, have a patchy educational and work record and many other things. I drank quite a lot in my 20s and maybe subconsciously this was an attempt to escape my troubled family life. I tend to over analyse and think a lot. I probably should start a round of cbt treatment.

Mental illness is a mainstream topic in ireland right now particularly depression but I think more needs to done in relation to anxiety disorders. Maybe they are deemed less serious and require less promotion, I don't know.

Anyway that's me in a brief post. Good luck everyone

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I feel hopelessly quagmired these days.. I can be funny in conversation still though.. That's kind of scary to me.. That despite the fact I'm pretty worried I'm escaping anyone's notice so easily.. Trying to avoid festering with it too much but that often results in overwork.. So much imbalance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

Have never been so tired in all my life.
    Literally drained of anything

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

any borderlines here? borderlines are like manic depressives in that their emotional cycle fluctuates rapidly. So they can be elated one day and severely depressed/anxious the next day and then elated the next day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

Do U ever feel being a sufferer of depression/anxiety that anything you go to the doctor with that's medical is over looked?

Really not feeling so good went to gp to get checked she's putting it down to(dismissing it as) mood.

It really isn't. I feel like death.

handbagmad wrote: »
    Do U ever feel being a sufferer of depression/anxiety that anything you go to the doctor with that's medical is over looked?

Really not feeling so good went to gp to get checked she's putting it down to(dismissing it as) mood.

It really isn't. I feel like death.

It's a sad fact that some doctors are shít. I once saw a doctor because of really bad insomnia (brought on by the anxiety disorder). He suggested I get darker curtains.. Needless to say I never went to him again.
    If I were you I'd go to a different doc, a second opinion could change your life..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Roquentin wrote: »
    any borderlines here? borderlines are like manic depressives in that their emotional cycle fluctuates rapidly. So they can be elated one day and severely depressed/anxious the next day and then elated the next day.

I can change every hour.. I can't really make arrangements to meet people socially as I could crash right before or during.. Or the flip side, I could get very high and not be able to sit still or finish a sentence.. I've grown too used to it though so don't really think about the limits it imposes until I write it out like this..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

How can people tell the difference? That sounds like bipolar to me?

Saipanne wrote: »
    How can people tell the difference? That sounds like bipolar to me?

http://blogs.psychcentral.com/bipolar/2014/02/bipolar-disorder-borderline-personality-disorder-difference/

I can change every hour.. I can't really make arrangements to meet people socially as I could crash right before or during.. Or the flip side, I could get very high and not be able to sit still or finish a sentence.. I've grown too used to it though so don't really think about the limits it imposes until I write it out like this..

same with me. i can change very quickly. From being content to being completely down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭Joya

same with me. i can change very quickly. From being content to being completely down.

count it +1...
    and from some reason it just cannot go un-noticed by other people and is influencing them too - it just cannot stay hidden... so ya, avoiding people is my best mechanism so far.. not the ideal one but..

The weekend is here at long last. A part of me is thinking "Yes!" but another part, a bigger part, is going "No."

• Registered Users Posts: 22,302 ✭✭✭✭Esel

The weekend is here at long last. A part of me is thinking "Yes!" but another part, a bigger part, is going "No."
    Maybe you could try to access the part of you that thinks "Maybe." :)

Separate the black from the white, and realise that there are many shades of grey.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    Maybe you could try to access the part of you that thinks "Maybe." :)

Separate the black from the white, and realise that there are many shades of grey.

Grey doesn't sound great either but I suppose it is better than the black.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,302 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Grey doesn't sound great either but I suppose it is better than the black.
    From black, grey trends towards white. When it comes to thought processes, that is the way to go. Easy to say, very hard to do, I know...

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    From black, grey trends towards white. When it comes to thought processes, that is the way to go. Easy to say, very hard to do, I know...

Nicely put though. Thank you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

My anxiety has become a lot worse in recent times... First time I've really had prolonged bouts of having a tight chest, shortness of breath and light headedness

• Registered Users Posts: 31 PrettyRad

Hi all!

I'm 18 years old and suffer from bad anxiety which, coupled with health anxiety(hypochondria), leads to some pretty awful panic attacks.

My first ever panic attack was in the cinema and I always feel really stupid talking about it. Myself and two friends were going to see Olympus Has Fallen and it was only a few days after the Aurora cinema shooting so I was on edge.

When we entered the theatre, I figured out that we'd be the only ones in there and that kind of set off the panic. My anxiety was telling me that anybody could burst in with a gun and we'd be their only targets. I couldn't catch my breath and even the usual "inhale for 4, hold for 7, exhale for 8" wasn't calming me down. I could hear my heartbeat pounding in my ears but because I had never had a panic attack before, I didn't know that that is what it was. Which of course set off my health anxiety, as I convinced myself that I was having a heart attack.

So there I was, quietly holding back tears, trying my usual calming techniques and failing, convinced that I was going to die, one way or another.
    There's this scene in the movie, where the president's car careers off the road and his wife dies, and the moment that happened, I spiralled. My chest tightened and that was it, I was so sure that I was having a heart attack at that moment. I went out to the bathroom and sat in a cubicle, in the quiet, and eventually calmed myself down, but I continued shaking like a leaf the whole way through the movie.

What are your experiences?

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

PM sent :)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭maw368

I have experienced sporadically over 15 years with anxiety/panic attacks, social phobia agoraphobia to the point of being totally housebound, afraid of travelling in cars, public transport, planes, had pseudo seizures, hypochondria, hyperventilating and etc etc.

But I found there was light at the end of the tunnel, I am in the best place I have been in for 15 years, not totally the free spirit I used to be but the closest I have been since a long time and feel that this time I am on the real road to recovery.

You can read a brief part of my paranoid like experiences which resulted in panic and agoraphobia here...

Tried all sorts of things like cognitive behavioural therapy, anti depressants, diazepam, beta blockers and others to help contron the stress, depression, panic etc, I tried yoga, meditation, relaxation and seeing a psychiatrist etc. But I found what a leading Psychiatrist once said, that you have to be ready, if you are not ready you won't put in the consistent dedicated effort needed to get past it.

It took me getting to the point of being fed up of it so badly, and wanting to get out adventuring like I used to so badly that I just started to face it repeatedly until it just became less and less of a problem and then no longer even a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭maw368

for me I found the thing that helped me most was exercise, you can check out my CrowdFunder Project to see how I got to where I am now and how I am trying to conquer the final demons that still plague me.

Video here...

Shaun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭Joya

okay.. so.. we were together for 5 years, know each other over seven.. after year and a half since i broke up with him.. i still find myself feeling the love for this guy.. i must be crazy.. every time i see him i brake inside although trying to get over it as soon as i can. so i am avoiding seeing him. but then yesterday he showed up on my door and i was surprised but also happy to see him... and now i am down again.. i have 4 exams starting tomorrow and absolutely no concentration or power to study.. i missed things in my life because of him and am reminding myself not to allow this to myself again. but yes, i am just broken.. i realized the reason why i push away all man who tried to get close to me since is cause.. my heart is still captured by him.. and i feel not fare to start something and give hope to others when i am not really able to be there..
    sorry for this but i just had to get it out of myself.. m very sad... feel like paralyzed.. again.....meds do not help...

ps. he met my flatmate ind it was a bit funny to me to see them one beside another since i just recently had a crash on my flatmate that i got over with... but yea, nice (looking) guys both of them... and so different...

I feel like I have been regressing over the last few weeks or months, though in reality it probably stems back nearly a year or so. Mainly social and relationship issues which have taken a lot out of me. My fear is that I'm going to end up friendless (and thus a hermit again) after all this boils over. I'm due to go back to counselling in a few weeks.

Really can't face dealing with all this again. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Tough week coming up there's an event I'm travelling to that is making me feel very apprehensive and I have to go alone. Two days on my own attempting to distract myself from feeling anxious. This event is making me think about everything that I'm anxious about in general and the pressure is all encompassing. I hope things change soon because I need a break.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement