Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Today I got some work done. Took a xanax, had a nap and then shuffled some paper for a while, then realised I was too anxious to get real work done. Took one more and got an actual bit of real work done. Anxiety was very bad while starting it but went down gradually as I stuck with it. Going to try asleeping pill tonight because xanax alone didn't cut it.

Well done on getting some work done there Scrim! :)

Fingers crossed you'll be able to catch some zzzz tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

Hope everyone is keeping well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

This is getting ridiculous. Sorry for posting here so often. Riddled with anxiety and thoughts of suicide tonight. Just can't relax. When is this going to end???

GeneralC wrote: »
    Hope everyone is keeping well.

Alright here GC. How are things there? :)

This is getting ridiculous. Sorry for posting here so often. Riddled with anxiety and thoughts of suicide tonight. Just can't relax. When is this going to end???

Post as often as needed Scrim. What's on your mind there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭bleach94

Feeling a bit anxious as I've gotten my Erasmus placement for Paris next year and will be going alone. I was feeling fine, open and confident about it until my mum told me tonight she's worried about me going by myself. Feeling a bit conflicted.. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

Sorry to hear you are feeling like this Scrim. Did you take the sleeping tablet in the end?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Captain Hman

bleach94 wrote: »
    Feeling a bit anxious as I've gotten my Erasmus placement for Paris next year and will be going alone. I was feeling fine, open and confident about it until my mum told me tonight she's worried about me going by myself. Feeling a bit conflicted.. :confused:

is this the erasmus a part of your college ?

Going to take it in a while. Not sure what's on my mind. Nothing logical about it at all. Just feeling that way.

Our thoughts are often not logical. Even though our brains may know what is what true and what isn't true, I find that this information doesn't transfer to our thoughts. Maybe paint your nails or watch some silly videos on youtube before you go to bed. Just something to distract yourself.

• Advertisement

Hope it passes soon there Scrim.

I get similar thoughts frequently, even more so when anxious. It can really wear one down unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭bleach94

is this the erasmus a part of your college ?

Yeah. Mandatory for my course

Bleach94 you said you were feeling fine about it until your Mom voiced her concerns. Try to put her thoughts aside and try and think of your true feelings for going on Erasmus. Other people may have the best intentions however we know ourselves best. If you think you are able to do this then you can do this.

Zopiclone works. Gonna take it earlier tonight and see if I can get a normal sleep routine going. Relief. Pure relief this morning

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Zopiclone works. Gonna take it earlier tonight and see if I can get a normal sleep routine going. Relief. Pure relief this morning

Delighted for ya.. Sleep is often so disturbed when you're ill.

Delighted for ya.. Sleep is often so disturbed when you're ill.

Unfortunately that is often the case. A lack of sleep can really mess you up.

Talked to my parents today - amazing the strength proper sleep can provide. Well, it was more like I sniffled over a coffee with mum, who then talked to dad. Nice to have their support, although they don't want me on the xanax or sleeping tablets. Got given out to for not going to them sooner. Think mum a bit upset cos she thinks she must have been unapproachable. My sleep hygiene and daytime routines are being cracked down on. So much easier not to face it all alone.

Talked to my parents today - amazing the strength proper sleep can provide. Well, it was more like I sniffled over a coffee with mum, who then talked to dad. Nice to have their support, although they don't want me on the xanax or sleeping tablets. Got given out to for not going to them sooner. Think mum a bit upset cos she thinks she must have been unapproachable. My sleep hygiene and daytime routines are being cracked down on. So much easier not to face it all alone.

Well done for taking that step Scrim. Their support will get you through this trying time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

That's great to hear scrim. Sleep is so important to our mental health. Zopiclone is great for knocking you out but I found I had a hangover effect from it.It is hard to keep a good sleep routine though when mood and anxiety is all over the place so hopefully this helps.

It is great that you have your parents support. It makes such a difference. It helps to ease the load and knowing you have someone you can rely no matter what is priceless. I think it's natural enough for your Mom to be upset. No one likes to see their child going through a difficult time. By the way I'm the exact same. I tell my Mom what's happening with me etc and then she tells my Dad.

I'm glad you got a good night's sleep. Nothing worse than lying awake with your mind racing. I was on xanax only for a week or 2 at the start. They made a massive difference for me. I was just constantly on edge and I felt they relaxed me. I too was worried as I was aware that addiction can be an issue. However as long as you are being regularly monitored by your doctor then I wouldn't be too worried about it.

Edited: Actually it was valium not xanax I was on. I have never taken any xanax so I have no experience of them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭heyday30

I've given in today. Got a script for some Valium. No point going around tormented. Don't like taking them but it's just for the few days.

heyday30 wrote: »
    I've given in today. Got a script for some Valium. No point going around tormented. Don't like taking them but it's just for the few days.

There's no shame in that H. Mind yourself there. x

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

mg1982 wrote: »
    Hope all you people are doing ok today. Sorry to hear about what your going through carzony. Try and get back to see the doc as there are many different types of meds you can try and it does sound like your going through a depressive episode.

I'm all over the place and not really sure what to do with myself atm. I'm finished college on tuesday for good so least that's something...:)

I'm not sure wether I need other medication but i'm certaintly still having trouble.. not as bad as i was but still......

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

A chat with your doc, if you like/trust them, will never do any harm.. There may be suggestions they could make to help you protect yourself from the extremes of pain and emotion you've felt..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

I can't shake this feeling off. It just won't go away. I'm fine one minute, screaming bloody murder the next. Getting really worked up about things.

Why won't it stop.

I feel like nothing goes my way. I just can't get what I want from anything. Everything is obligations. And I feel devalued from everything. It's me that's doing this to me though. I want to hand in my notice but what's that going to solve. I'm still me outside of that. I'm still going to have to face this mood ****. I'm just fed up with everything. So that's not going to be any better whatever the next job I get is.

Gongoozler wrote: »
    I can't shake this feeling off. It just won't go away. I'm fine one minute, screaming bloody murder the next. Getting really worked up about things.

Why won't it stop.

I feel like nothing goes my way. I just can't get what I want from anything. Everything is obligations. And I feel devalued from everything. It's me that's doing this to me though. I want to hand in my notice but what's that going to solve. I'm still me outside of that. I'm still going to have to face this mood ****. I'm just fed up with everything. So that's not going to be any better whatever the next job I get is.

Unfortunately this is something that one can't really run away from.

Has anything set off this for you today there GG?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Remember a while back I said I was to have an awkward conversation at work? Well that's happening this week. I'm trying not to think about it but I also need to prepare for it. It's making me anxious.

And trying to get some course work done is impossible because I can't even concentrate. And their stupid phrasing of stuff makes it even harder to do any of it.

But I don't know that I could say any of that is what is setting me off. This mood just continues.

Gongoozler wrote: »
    Remember a while back I said I was to have an awkward conversation at work? Well that's happening this week. I'm trying not to think about it but I also need to prepare for it. It's making me anxious.

And trying to get some course work done is impossible because I can't even concentrate. And their stupid phrasing of stuff makes it even harder to do any of it.

But I don't know that I could say any of that is what is setting me off. This mood just continues.

I remember that yeah. Some things like that need a bit of preparation, whereas just winging it on the day could be a disaster. I hope it goes well for you GG.

It sounds like you've got a lot on your plate there at the moment. *hugs*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

Alright here GC. How are things there? :)

Hi Hugo, everything is ok. I was in a shopping centre today,having a panic attack, as you do, and I spotted my psychologist. I literally ran by him hoping he didn't spot me in my moment of madness!

• Advertisement

GeneralC wrote: »
    Hi Hugo, everything is ok. I was in a shopping centre today,having a panic attack, as you do, and I spotted my psychologist. I literally ran by him hoping he didn't spot me in my moment of madness!

Sorry to hear that you had a panic attack while out and about. How are you feeling there now?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement