Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

Yah you're right it's not healthy. Have you felt like that before? I think some medications can cause suicidal thoughts. I used often get suicidal thoughts regularly before I started my meds. Usually it was getting a gun and shooting myself in the head. It wasn't that I wanted to die. It was more of a reflection of what I felt my mind was doing to me. I just wanted my mind to slow down and relax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

greenfrogs wrote: »
    I think some medications can cause suicidal thoughts.

That's true. In my own case, I don't think that's it though. I've been on these for years now without that as a side effect. I think it's just being severely fed up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

Yah you're right it's not healthy. Have you felt like that before? I think some medications can cause suicidal thoughts. I used often get suicidal thoughts regularly before I started my meds. Usually it was getting a gun and shooting myself in the head. It wasn't that I wanted to die. It was more of a reflection of what I felt my mind was doing to me. I just wanted my mind to slow down and relax.

when you initially start them, they can, anti depressents that is. but after time they are supposed to make the mind feel better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

That sounds tough guys. Sometimes when I find myself in a scenic place with water I find myself thinking how easy it would be just to walk in. It freaks me out because one second I'm thinking this is such a beautiful place and the next I'm thinking about walking in. Very unnerving. Is that normal?

I find the very same thing gf. Theres a lake a few miles away that i often walk around and i always get these thoughts when im there.

mg1982 wrote: »
    I find the very same thing gf. Theres a lake a few miles away that i often walk around and i always get these thoughts when im there.

Its the exact same with me. The place where I walk is where this happens. Exercise is meant to be beneficial for depression. However when you are thinking about suicide it makes the walk very counterproductive. Sometimes I wonder what if one day the temptation became too much.

• Advertisement

Theres a lake a few miles away that i often walk around and i always get these thoughts when im there.

Do you find yourself upset by those thoughts or just indifferent to them?

Do you find yourself upset by those thoughts or just indifferent to them?

I dont find them upsetting anymore, they have been with me for a long time so i guess im used to them. In fact at times when im feeling especially bad they are comforting for me, that there is a way out. I know that sounds awful but its the way it is for me.

I dont find them upsetting anymore, they have been with me for a long time so i guess im used to them. In fact at times when im feeling especially bad they are comforting for me, that there is a way out. I know that sounds awful but its the way it is for me.

I guess they're a way out for us all but to carry it out would really take a lot of determination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭heyday30

I don't find thoughts of suicied or suicidal ideation that frightening anymore tbh. They are a daily occurrence really. Just have to stop acknowledge them and remember they're just thoughts.

heyday30 wrote: »
    I don't find thoughts of suicied or suicidal ideation that frightening anymore tbh. They are a daily occurrence really. Just have to stop acknowledge them and remember they're just thoughts.

Me too. They have been a part of my life for so long now. Its normal for me.

• Advertisement

Hope everyone is having a good day and enjoying the sun. Going to head out for a walk with the doggie now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I'm not suicidal but I do have quite frequent thoughts about wishing I hadnt been born. Its not even an anxiety thing, I just think if I had the option I would have chosen not to be born. I'm not going to accomplish anything outstanding, I'm not gonna be a millionaire. I kind of hate modern society, it doesn't suit my personality and passions at all.

The world can be such a horrible place that sometimes I think, I really can't stand society/the human species and I wish I wasn't here.

I'm not suicidal but I do have quite frequent thoughts about wishing I hadnt been born. Its not even an anxiety thing, I just think if I had the option I would have chosen not to be born. I'm not going to accomplish anything outstanding, I'm not gonna be a millionaire. I kind of hate modern society, it doesn't suit my personality and passions at all.

The world can be such a horrible place that sometimes I think, I really can't stand society/the human species and I wish I wasn't here.

The thing is most people don't accomplish anything outstanding. Most people aren't millionaires. So why is it that these things bother us? Do we feel we have something to prove. Why is the thought of an average life a depressing thought? Is it the lifestyle or us that's the problem?

most people dont accomplish much. they marry, work, raise a family, save a few bucks and retire at 65.

edit: and then die

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

as cliche hippy as it is if you frame life in terms of 'accomplishments' its an unwinnable game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

What's the craic with constantly eating and craving carbs (uncontrollable sugar levels) with anxiety? or am I the only one like this? Surely there is some science and link between between them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

GeneralC, the last week I have been completely unable to resist sugar at all. Seriously, the amount of it is unreal. I dunno what the link is but there must be one!

ScrimS, I think sugar is an enemy for us. For me, it seems to provoke it! I am unable to get full and find myself constantly hungry and craving crabs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

I'm finding zopiclone only moderately effective. It sends me asleep, keeps me asleep for a while but wears off after about 6 hours and I wake up then. Would love a natural 8.5 hours sleep. Now though I think I'm gonna be rigorous with my sleep hygiene (apart from my after dinner cuppa!) and head off to try get those 8.5 hours... Hope everyone has a good night and is hanging on in there.

Any tips for getting a nights sleep without the use of tablets? I struggle to get 4/5 hours and during the time I woke up panicking and can't get back asleep.

• Advertisement

GeneralC wrote: »
    What's the craic with constantly eating and craving carbs (uncontrollable sugar levels) with anxiety? or am I the only one like this? Surely there is some science and link between between them?

Nah general ur not alone. I think personally for me it's linked to medication.

I'm on day 3 now of healthier eating using fruit n veg shakes.
    I did have one bar of chocolate but as opposed to multi packs every day I'm chuffed.
    hope I can keep this up.

Nah general ur not alone. I think personally for me it's linked to medication.

I'm on day 3 now of healthier eating using fruit n veg shakes.
    I did have one bar of chocolate but as opposed to multi packs every day I'm chuffed.
    hope I can keep this up.

Well done on making a change, keep it up and will see the difference in your body and mind. I eat healthy, but I just find myself eating A LOT of food, never seem to be full.

Well done on making a change, keep it up and will see the difference in your body and mind. I eat healthy, but I just find myself eating A LOT of food, never seem to be full.

Yep that sounds familiar that's why I'm doing the shakes. Hard to ignore the hunger/ false hunger pangs though.

Yep that sounds familiar that's why I'm doing the shakes. Hard to ignore the hunger/ false hunger pangs though.

Do you find yourself getting dizzy and extremely anxious while hungry?

Yes. Somewhat disoriantated. I try have a bottle of squash or diet coke to hand for a bit of a sugar kick.

that could be a sign of low blood sugar ergo diabetes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Finally got my councellor appointment :) For next Monday

4 months later :)

carzony wrote: »
    Finally got my councellor appointment :) For next Monday

4 months later :)

Better late than never I suppose C. I hope it will go well for you! :)

Any tips for getting a nights sleep without the use of tablets? I struggle to get 4/5 hours and during the time I woke up panicking and can't get back asleep.

There are over the counter remedies you can get. I have one called valerian and i find it good. Most pharmacys will have it.

• Advertisement

How are the gang this evening there?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement