Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

going for my first meeting with councellor on Monday.. can anyone tell me what might happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

carzony wrote: »
    going for my first meeting with councellor on Monday.. can anyone tell me what might happen?

Will probably just gather together your details and a rough sketch of the issues. It shouldn't be anything too heavy C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Its just basically an introduction and then you might tell him/her a rough idea of whats being going with you. It wont be anything too deep in the first session.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

They will probably ask you questions about your background and history. Also maybe they will ask you what are you hoping to achieve from therapy and what areas may need attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

it says on the form the first session will be 90 minutes which seems quite long...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

it says on the form the first session will be 90 minutes which seems quite long...

Yah that is quite long but I usually find time goes very fast in counselling. Especially at the start when you will have loads to say. Don't worry. They are there to help you. There will be no trick questions. Also I think you are with the mental health services. These services are very thorough. They might assess which therapy might suit you best, which therapist might suit you best etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

Don't make any firm plans for after the session on Monday, Carzony. You might come out with lots of energy left or you might be very drained. Or you might be wired to the moon with anxiety (as I was). In my first session we just talked about why I was there, and explored some background stuff. Also went through some techniques to reduce anxiety.

Make sure you're kind to yourself after it. You're taking a big step in helping yourself. Plan some little treat for yourself.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Hi guys, im not sure if you are aware of this but May is mental health awareness month - www.greenribbon.ie

Sp pick up a green ribbon and show your support.

What a day! So glad the weekend is here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭Joya

yes hugo, absolutely right ... whatta week id say...

• Advertisement

Joya wrote: »
    yes hugo, absolutely right ... whatta week id say...

Am kinda dreading Monday already! :o

Am kinda dreading Monday already! :o

Was it a stressful one Hugo.

yea me too, have a big project to submit on sunday..
    btw my ex husband called me last night...

mg1982 wrote: »
    Was it a stressful one Hugo.

It was but it wasn't exceptionally so. I need to toughen up a bit I think! lol
    yea me too, have a big project to submit on sunday..
    btw my ex husband called me last night...

I'm sure you'll ace the project Joya. You always do! :)

How does the call from the ex make you feel?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 want to disappear

Feeling very down at the moment .

Feeling very down at the moment .

What's on your mind there friend?

I'm sure you'll ace the project Joya. You always do! :)

How does the call from the ex make you feel?
    i mean he is ok but he is ex.. and as such reminds me of all ex - es in a way.. and unpresence of the present one(s)
    if you know what i mean.
    and cause my week was already upset it didnt sink well...

• Registered Users Posts: 31 want to disappear

Had a rough day. Work is very stressful at the moment. Looking for a new job but there's not a lot out there. I'm just feeling a bit bleuhh. Everything and anything seems to be hitting me. Hope everyone is doing a bit better.

i mean he is ok but he is ex.. and as such reminds me of all ex - es in a way.. and unpresence of the present one(s)
    if you know what i mean.
    and cause my week was already upset it didnt sink well...

I get you yeah. Sometimes you can really do without anything else coming along.
    Had a rough day. Work is very stressful at the moment. Looking for a new job but there's not a lot out there. I'm just feeling a bit bleuhh. Everything and anything seems to be hitting me. Hope everyone is doing a bit better.

Sorry to hear you're feeling like that.

The job search can be tough at times. A lack of a job does not reflect badly on you or your character though. I hope something comes your way there soon.

Things seem to go like that sometimes. When it rains it pours as the saying goes. If your job is getting to you it may be time for a change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Hope you don't mind me popping in to say hello. Not been well at all the past few days. Bloody anxiety rearing its head again. Trying to stay calm and positive and practise mindfulness. It's so hard to cope with and I'm mentally exhausted. But tomorrow is another day so maybe just maybe it will see an improvement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

Tonight I need to sleep without the tablets but I'm wired. Oh boy!

lukesmom wrote: »
    Hope you don't mind me popping in to say hello. Not been well at all the past few days. Bloody anxiety rearing its head again. Trying to stay calm and positive and practise mindfulness. It's so hard to cope with and I'm mentally exhausted. But tomorrow is another day so maybe just maybe it will see an improvement.
    Tonight I need to sleep without the tablets but I'm wired. Oh boy!

I hope you both get some well deserved rest tonight.

i cannot stand this anymore.. absolute disaster...... and pills do not help..

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Civil Servant13

Just to say I suffere with OCD and BDD (body images) I'm a relatively young lass but found CBT soooooo helpful. Recommence CBT for OCD and BDD. It's expensive but worth it. All the best to friends here

• Registered Users Posts: 21,657 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

i cannot stand this anymore.. absolute disaster...... and pills do not help..

It can feel like that sometimes. Have you been on them long enough to give them time to work in to your system. Can take up to a few weeks for some types.

It can feel like that sometimes. Have you been on them long enough to give them time to work in to your system. Can take up to a few weeks for some types.
    yes i guess year and a half is long enough. most of the time they are helping but this last week was particularly tough and i even wake up feelin extremely down... worst thing is i cannot find a solution or some thoughts or whatever to help me go out of this ... like feelin locked in here... with no exit door..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,657 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

yes i guess year and a half is long enough. most of the time they are helping but this last week was particularly tough and i even wake up feelin extremely down... worst thing is i cannot find a solution or some thoughts or whatever to help me go out of this ... like feelin locked in here... with no exit door..

Well there is a positive in there in that most of the time they help. Small consolation at this time I understand but just keep mentioning that thought to your self.

Have you spoken to your doctor? Maybe a reassessment of your prescription could help.

As for the second part of your statement, that is obviously one of the savage curses of depression. I think if anyone could at least see a light then they would be Ok with working towards it no matter how far away it is. When it is entirely dark you don't even know what direction to look in never mind work towards something.
    Have you a therapist or counsellor who you could discuss these feelings with?

Is there something going on in your life thats brought this on joya or is it that the meds have stopped working?

• Advertisement

mg1982 wrote: »
    Is there something going on in your life thats brought this on joya or is it that the meds have stopped working?
    long story.. short, all bad feelings from the past came out upon one dream i had a week ago.. and took me by surprise and unprepared..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement