Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭Joya

I would love to change but it just seems too great a task at the moment. I hope I'll gain a stronger resolve in the future though.
    yea its always just one step at the time, one day at the time.. nothin' more..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Joya wrote: »
    yea its always just one step at the time, one day at the time.. nothin' more..

I recently cut out having a second dinner at home after work. Baby steps I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

Hi all. How is everyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

greenfrogs wrote: »
    I got an appointment for an initial assessment for a six month dbt type programme. It only includes group therapy. Kinda worried in case they say I'm not suitable for the programme. But also nervous of being in a group session.

Why would they say you weren't suitable? If you thinks it's going to help you there's no reason why they should refuse. Group therapy is ok I find, everyone is in the same boat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

mg1982 wrote: »
    Why would they say you weren't suitable? If you thinks it's going to help you there's no reason why they should refuse. Group therapy is ok I find, everyone is in the same boat.

I'm not sure. I was reading the information about it online. It said that at this appointment they will see if you are suited to the programme. I just double checked my letter and it doesn't say anything about suitability. I should just relax. I don't like this being up in the air. I like things being set in stone if you know what I mean. In my opinion this programme sounds really good for me.

I have never done group therapy. Will I have to stand up and talk about my issues in depth? I hope it does not involve role play as a learning tool. My anxiety will hit the roof. But like you said everyone is in the same boat.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure. I was reading the information about it online. It said that at this appointment they will see if you are suited to the programme. I just double checked my letter and it doesn't say anything about suitability. I should just relax. I don't like this being up in the air. I like things being set in stone if you know what I mean. In my opinion this programme sounds really good for me.

I have never done group therapy. Will I have to stand up and talk about my issues in depth? I hope it does not involve role play as a learning tool. My anxiety will hit the roof. But like you said everyone is in the same boat.

I can't speak for dbt group therapy but I was in a mindfulness group and it was pretty relaxed tbh. No one had to stand up and talk or be put on the spot. It was really up to you if you wanted to say something or not. I'd assume the dbt would be the same.

I can't speak for dbt group therapy but I was in a mindfulness group and it was pretty relaxed tbh. No one had to stand up and talk or be put on the spot. It was really up to you if you wanted to say something or not. I'd assume the dbt would be the same.

Yah I'd say your are right. It has to be relaxed as otherwise people wouldn't go. Did you find that group beneficial?

Yah I'd say your are right. It has to be relaxed as otherwise people wouldn't go. Did you find that group beneficial?

I did actually. It was my psychologist that ran the group and she's really nice Teaching us all about mindfulness and meditation. Got a load of meditation cds out of it so it's great to have them.

I did actually. It was my psychologist that ran the group and she's really nice Teaching us all about mindfulness and meditation. Got a load of meditation cds out of it so it's great to have them.

That's good. Those are things which will stay with you throughout your life. I really must get into meditating and yoga. And following others start eating healthy. My diet is gone to the pits. Tomorrow will be a fresh start.

That's good. Those are things which will stay with you throughout your life. I really must get into meditating and yoga. And following others start eating healthy. My diet is gone to the pits. Tomorrow will be a fresh start.

You can do it gf. Small steps at a time. After a while you won't know yourself.

• Advertisement

I recently cut out having a second dinner at home after work. Baby steps I guess.

Sounds great Hugo
    Just keep going and never give up even if failing millions of times....

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Umekichi

Had a bit of an up and down week, my scumbag neighbours fired a glass bottle over our back wall and nearly hit my 4 year old which drove me into a bit of a downward spiral but got onto the landlord who got onto theirs and from what my landlord told me, they are looking for any excuse to get rid of them! Started comfort eating to deal with it, but I have managed to scale back on the amount and what I would eat. Now I eat slightly healthier shíte(air popped popcorn instead of lots of taytos).

Honestly besides that though I feel that finally things are starting to pick up(on top of that I have managed to drop a dress size 20 down to a 18). I'm leaving the house more, going for walks and generally becoming a bit more self-reliant(I think a lot of this is down to my partner doing a jobbridge - best thing ever for the both of us, he might get work and I can stop leaning on him all the time). I'm even focusing more on keeping on top of the household chores, which if you knew me 5 months ago I was useless at.

I feel so happy now, it's strange. I'm used to being so miserable and down all the time.

Umekichi wrote: »
    Had a bit of an up and down week, my scumbag neighbours fired a glass bottle over our back wall and nearly hit my 4 year old which drove me into a bit of a downward spiral but got onto the landlord who got onto theirs and from what my landlord told me, they are looking for any excuse to get rid of them! Started comfort eating to deal with it, but I have managed to scale back on the amount and what I would eat. Now I eat slightly healthier shíte(air popped popcorn instead of lots of taytos).

Honestly besides that though I feel that finally things are starting to pick up(on top of that I have managed to drop a dress size 20 down to a 18). I'm leaving the house more, going for walks and generally becoming a bit more self-reliant(I think a lot of this is down to my partner doing a jobbridge - best thing ever for the both of us, he might get work and I can stop leaning on him all the time). I'm even focusing more on keeping on top of the household chores, which if you knew me 5 months ago I was useless at.

I feel so happy now, it's strange. I'm used to being so miserable and down all the time.
    great to hear you are making progress umekichi, inspirational it is :) thank you for sharing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Didn't sleep a wink last night as I'm off the zispin 4 days and it used to knock me out. Taking Valium during the day. See the doc on Wednesday so going to ask for some sleepers. Tried all the natural stuff and no joy.

Doing mindfulness and find it fantastic for me. I go to a group session each Friday and I'm also using a book with a cd. It is an eight week course and you listen to the meditation twice a day. Would recommend the book it's 'mindfulness -finding peace in a frantic world' by professor mark Williams.

Umekichi wrote: »

Well done. You have made loads of improvements in different areas of your life. I think you dealt with your neighbour situation very well. You went through your landlord rather than than confront your neighbour yourself. Well done on reducing the comfort eating. I know how bad it can make a person feel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

lukesmom wrote: »
    Didn't sleep a wink last night as I'm off the zispin 4 days and it used to knock me out. Taking Valium during the day. See the doc on Wednesday so going to ask for some sleepers. Tried all the natural stuff and no joy.

Doing mindfulness and find it fantastic for me. I go to a group session each Friday and I'm also using a book with a cd. It is an eight week course and you listen to the meditation twice a day. Would recommend the book it's 'mindfulness -finding peace in a frantic world' by professor mark Williams.

the zispin alright really sedates you

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Had a really spaced out couple of months but just had a not so bad few days due to laying off junk food, coca cola etc. It's only when you're out the other end of something (even if only for a bit) you realise QUITE how bad it was in too many ways. Judgement is a big one, even when you're still relatively sound. I even had to shade my eyes from any little bit of sun, due to my eye sensitivity.

fr336 wrote: »
    Had a really spaced out couple of months but just had a not so bad few days due to laying off junk food, coca cola etc. It's only when you're out the other end of something (even if only for a bit) you realise QUITE how bad it was in too many ways. Judgement is a big one, even when you're still relatively sound. I even had to shade my eyes from any little bit of sun, due to my eye sensitivity.

Glad your feeling better fr. It can be hard to change habits though i know. When you say spaced out do you mean depersonalised or just depressed?

Glad your feeling better fr. It can be hard to change habits though i know. When you say spaced out do you mean depersonalised or just depressed?

I'm not sure, probably those two but my thing stems from lots of stuff built up over time I feel - namely sleep deprivation and not being at all fit or healthy in terms of food, drink etc. I went through a very sad spell 3 years ago but the recent stuff has been a happy, ambitious guy wanting to break out of an anxious, tired mess. I'll be fine though it's just getting to the top of the cliff and moving forward with me :)

Has your sleep situation improved Fr336? I hope it has. :)

• Advertisement

I am feeling quite stressed this evening. My head is going round and round creating scenarios in my head. I do not know why I am getting upset about a person who has refused to talk to me for 4 months now. I know I need to focus on my life and that contacting him would be a mistake. It's so strange as I know he will bring no benefit to my life even if he decided to talk to me again. It's just I don't like being rejected. I like doing the rejecting. I know I can get far better friends than him. We kinda had an off on relationship for a little while. Lets just say when he found out about my depression it was 100% off. I want someone who will support me for whoever I am. It's just it seems that is a long way off at the moment.
    Trying to study as well. Maybe I'll try for another hour or so and then pack it in. Listening to some mediation music on youtube. Hopefully it will have a positive affect.

Has your sleep situation improved Fr336? I hope it has. :)

No but it is just down to me, as hard as I'm finding it. Do a few things, for a while and I will be good. How are you Hugo?

fr336 wrote: »
    No but it is just down to me, as hard as I'm finding it. Do a few things, for a while and I will be good. How are you Hugo?

Oh you me old boy, breaking hearts and causing trouble! :D

Oh you me old boy, breaking hearts and causing trouble! :D

No idea what this means but it sounds good for me so I'll leave it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Emperor1989

Hi all,

Long story short I left my job etc to go travelling with a group of friends in ASIA until xmas. I often had a bit of anxiety before but nothing like this.....I got badly sick (Viral infection) (lost 7-8lb) about a month ago and my mind was racing about what if I got sick abroad etc and what would everyone think of me if I had to come home early.

I am now at home (with my parents) for 2 weeks before I leave but I still have a upset stomach that the doctor said was due to anxiety of the forthcoming trip. I have medication to take but I try and avoid it as I would hate to become dependant on pills for something that is a one off.

Has anyone had anything similar to this experience to this?...not asking for any medical advice. I have been to the doctor and have meds but I am wondering is this purely a mental block that will go once I go on my merry way?.....unfortunately the brain is just a bit all over the place at the moment and I cant seem to shake this upset stomach.

Hi all,

Long story short I left my job etc to go travelling with a group of friends in ASIA until xmas. I often had a bit of anxiety before but nothing like this.....I got badly sick (Viral infection) (lost 7-8lb) about a month ago and my mind was racing about what if I got sick abroad etc and what would everyone think of me if I had to come home early.

I am now at home (with my parents) for 2 weeks before I leave but I still have a upset stomach that the doctor said was due to anxiety of the forthcoming trip. I have medication to take but I try and avoid it as I would hate to become dependant on pills for something that is a one off.

Has anyone had anything similar to this experience to this?...not asking for any medical advice. I have been to the doctor and have meds but I am wondering is this purely a mental block that will go once I go on my merry way?.....unfortunately the brain is just a bit all over the place at the moment and I cant seem to shake this upset stomach.

I think maybe for your peace of mind it may be no harm to take the meds just for a while. If they are Benzos they will only be short term anyway as there addictive if your on them long term. It may well be just anxiety about the trip but hopefully once you get going you will be fine.

Hi all,

The doctor wouldn't prescribe them if he didn't think they were necessary. If it was medication for a chest infection would you take the medication. Of course you would. Take the medication and see how you feel. I too was nervous of taking my anxiety pills as I was worried about addiction. However they really helped me when I needed them most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

Is it very strange to enjoy melancholy?

Is it very strange to enjoy melancholy?

Wouldn't the two counteract each other?

However I think there can be a certain appreciation when your mood settles. As in you arent experiencing intense lows but a more steady depressive mood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Emperor1989

The doctor wouldn't prescribe them if he didn't think they were necessary. If it was medication for a chest infection would you take the medication. Of course you would. Take the medication and see how you feel. I too was nervous of taking my anxiety pills as I was worried about addiction. However they really helped me when I needed them most.

That is what I am thinking, but the thing that gets me is what about when I arrive out there I still have the issue and sub consciously I know I am cutting down on the number I take so that I could have some left over should that issue arise.

Does that make sense.

Thanks for the help

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement