Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Emperor1989

mg1982 wrote: »
    I think maybe for your peace of mind it may be no harm to take the meds just for a while. If they are Benzos they will only be short term anyway as there addictive if your on them long term. It may well be just anxiety about the trip but hopefully once you get going you will be fine.

Very true...thanks for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Emperor1989

Back in the day they used to hand out benzos like smarties but once the addictive potential was realised they might have gone too far in the other direction.

Someone can correct me and keep in mind that different benzos are measured in milligrams and some in micrograms so one needs to look up what 0.25mg Xanax is equal to in Valium for example. But with Xanax which I get prescribed I think the risk of addiction is along the lines of 0.5-1.0mg 3x times a day for a few weeks.

Me, for my mild situational anxiety, I take a single 0.25 as needed. I've never had to take more than one in a day, a bad week is taking one 2 days in a row or 3 in one week etc At this dosage and usage I'm at zero risk of addiction.

Depending on what you've been prescribed, the dosage and how often you are needing to take it, you likely have nothing to worry about at all.

Calibos wrote: »
    Emperor1989

Back in the day they used to hand out benzos like smarties but once the addictive potential was realised they might have gone too far in the other direction.

Someone can correct me and keep in mind that different benzos are measured in milligrams and some in micrograms so one needs to look up what 0.25mg Xanax is equal to in Valium for example. But with Xanax which I get prescribed I think the risk of addiction is along the lines of 0.5-1.0mg 3x times a day for a few weeks.

Me, for my mild situational anxiety, I take a single 0.25 as needed. I've never had to take more than one in a day, a bad week is taking one 2 days in a row or 3 in one week etc At this dosage and usage I'm at zero risk of addiction.

Depending on what you've been prescribed, the dosage and how often you are needing to take it, you likely have nothing to worry about at all.

I have been given Rivotril .5mg. Yeah I will just take them. No point having them and not using them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

I have been given Rivotril .5mg. Yeah I will just take them. No point having them and not using them.

It's important info if the doctor said take x number of tablets x times a day for x number of days or upto x x x as needed.

If the former, take as directed. If the latter then you can use your own judgement. So for example you may feel the need for the morning tablet and feel grand for the rest of the day and not need to take the other 2 'upto' tablets you were 'allowed' for that day.

So with the knowledge of where addictive withdrawl potential kicks in for your tablets dosage, usage and duration you can make rational decisions about taking it. ie. Taking it when you need it without apprehension and not taking it when you don't really need to.

In my case I have no fear of taking them from an addiction standpoint. My 'fear' is not taking them when I really should and suffering needlessly due to The medical profession perhaps going a little too far on the opposite direction to under prescribing. ie. My trying to stretch out the paltry 14 0.25 I get every 2 months or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Is it very strange to enjoy melancholy?

I don't think it's strange. I tend to wallow in it at times.

• Advertisement

Calibos wrote: »
    It's important info if the doctor said take x number of tablets x times a day for x number of days or upto x x x as needed.

If the former, take as directed. If the latter then you can use your own judgement. So for example you may feel the need for the morning tablet and feel grand for the rest of the day and not need to take the other 2 'upto' tablets you were 'allowed' for that day.

So with the knowledge of where addictive withdrawl potential kicks in for your tablets dosage, usage and duration you can make rational decisions about taking it. ie. Taking it when you need it without apprehension and not taking it when you don't really need to.

In my case I have no fear of taking them from an addiction standpoint. My 'fear' is not taking them when I really should and suffering needlessly due to The medical profession perhaps going a little too far on the opposite direction to under prescribing. ie. My trying to stretch out the paltry 14 0.25 I get every 2 months or so.

Its a not feeling so much of a addiction stand point but from the position what if I still feel anxious away and have no tablets....hence in my mind I am conserving them rather than taking them when I feel like crap.

It would be difficult to visit a doctor when I am away :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

Its a not feeling so much of a addiction stand point but from the position what if I still feel anxious away and have no tablets....hence in my mind I am conserving them rather than taking them when I feel like crap.

I can see you point. Why don't you discuss it with your GP and see if both of ye can come up with a solution.

Also it may be difficult to visit a doctor whilst your travelling but not impossible. What if you research the areas that you will be visiting and check out where the nearest doctor/medical centre would be. Even just to have this back up may ease your anxiety. Plenty of people get sick whilst travelling especially for long periods. So there is nothing to be ashamed or embarrassed about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

Go back to your doc and explain the situation. Outline your plans and your fears. You could even ask could you speak to him o the phone saying you're unclear about doses and what to do while away

Go back to your doc and explain the situation. Outline your plans and your fears. You could even ask could you speak to him o the phone saying you're unclear about doses and what to do while away

Cheers for all the help folks. I decide over the rest of the day what to do.

Just hope the appetite returns

I don't think it's strange. I tend to wallow in it at times.

It's just such a welcome change to anxiety. Nice to feel calmly miserable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

Feeling brutal today, again. No energy in the gym, felt so poorly and had to leave early. It's my only outlet and I can't even go there anymore. I genuinely feel like there is some underlying physiological issue, but my GP always puts it down to anxiety.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

the feeling you get when you are anxious and take a rivotril is like nirvana.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Regarding medication, I'm thinking I might ask my psychiatrist if I could be allowed something along the lines of Xanax. I find that some days can hold so much anxiety and takes over my mind. Having something to hold all that at bay would be warmly welcomed. I was given them before but they were really hesitant to prescribe them at all.
    It's just such a welcome change to anxiety. Nice to feel calmly miserable.

Well said there Scrim.
    GeneralC wrote: »
    Feeling brutal today, again. No energy in the gym, felt so poorly and had to leave early. It's my only outlet and I can't even go there anymore. I genuinely feel like there is some underlying physiological issue, but my GP always puts it down to anxiety.

Don't beat yourself up too much there GC. Sometimes we just get bad days. Maybe look at today not as a failure but as a chance to recuperate and re-energise.

Regarding medication, I'm thinking I might ask my psychiatrist if I could be allowed something along the lines of Xanax. I find that some days can hold so much anxiety and takes over my mind. Having something to hold all that at bay would be warmly welcomed. I was given them before but they were really hesitant to prescribe them at all.

Well said there Scrim.

Don't beat yourself up too much there GC. Sometimes we just get bad days. Maybe look at today not as a failure but as a chance to recuperate and re-energise.

Thanks Hugo, that actually means a lot to me and I can take some comfort in it. My slump in energy may have to do with the fact I was up until 4am and awake at 9am.

How are you today Hugo?

Thanks Hugo, that actually means a lot to me and I can take some comfort in it. My slump in energy may have to do with the fact I was up until 4am and awake at 9am.

How are you today Hugo?

That short sleep would definitely affect energy levels. I went into work one morning recently with about 3 or 4 hours sleep in me and I was on the verge of bawling all day there :D:o

Give the gym a go again during the week. You'll be grand then all going well. What kinda stuff are you doing in there?

Not too bad here thanks GC. A slight bit of heightened anxiety today for some reason, presumably just a poor night's sleep coupled with Monday morning blues, but other than that I can't complain too much. :)

That short sleep would definitely affect energy levels. I went into work one morning recently with about 3 or 4 hours sleep in me and I was on the verge of bawling all day there :D:o

Give the gym a go again during the week. You'll be grand then all going well. What kinda stuff are you doing in there?

Not too bad here thanks GC. A slight bit of heightened anxiety today for some reason, presumably just a poor night's sleep coupled with Monday morning blues, but other than that I can't complain too much. :)

I think sleep is REALLY important, but even more vital for people with anxiety.
    Are you working Hugo or are you out of action for the time being?

I have a meeting with a doctor tomorrow regarding my anxiety. I had an intro meeting with him last month and did not like the way he was speaking to me! He was about the same age myself (27/28) and spoke to me like I was an uneducated child. I'll go the gym after it. I do cardio and weights with body weight exercises. I do an 1hr 30 mins 5/6 days a week, it's sufficient. Do you go the gym Hugo?

Everyone gets a touch of Monday blues, I hope they go awake for you soon! Do you have plans for the day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Not in a good place today. Feeling detached and dissociated from everything including myself. Its nothing new but its especially bad today. Thinking a lot of suicidal thoughts as well but hopefully it will pass.

I think sleep is REALLY important, but even more vital for people with anxiety.
    Are you working Hugo or are you out of action for the time being?

I have a meeting with a doctor tomorrow regarding my anxiety. I had an intro meeting with him last month and did not like the way he was speaking to me! He was about the same age myself (27/28) and spoke to me like I was an uneducated child. I'll go the gym after it. I do cardio and weights with body weight exercises. I do an 1hr 30 mins 5/6 days a week, it's sufficient. Do you go the gym Hugo?

Everyone gets a touch of Monday blues, I hope they go awake for you soon! Do you have plans for the day?

Yeah am working thankfully. Can be tough at times but it has to be done. Need that money for pizza and gadgets! :D

Nah I don't hit the gym. I'm very much a slob presently. I get bursts of motivation sometimes and dust off the dumbbells but apart from that I'm fairly sedate.

Sounds like bad form from that doctor there. :mad: Maybe it was just a bad day though. Fingers crossed he'll be kinder tomorrow.

Not in a good place today. Feeling detached and dissociated from everything including myself. Its nothing new but its especially bad today. Thinking a lot of suicidal thoughts as well but hopefully it will pass.

Sorry to hear that MG. I hope it fades from your mind soon there my friend.

Yeah am working thankfully. Can be tough at times but it has to be done. Need that money for pizza and gadgets! :D

Nah I don't hit the gym. I'm very much a slob presently. I get bursts of motivation sometimes and dust off the dumbbells but apart from that I'm fairly sedate.

Sounds like bad form from that doctor there. :mad: Maybe it was just a bad day though. Fingers crossed he'll be kinder tomorrow.

I think working is very important, keeps the mind active and gives you structure to your day/week. I think I would be a lot better if I had a job! Nothing wrong with buying yourself gadgets to make yourself feel better :)

I very much think it's just his personality more so than having a bad day!

• Advertisement

Chin up pal, you have friends here if you want to chat :)

Does anyone remember when they felt free of anxiety? I get flashbacks of what it was like and how I might have felt, now I just feel numb, with no life in me.

Does anyone remember when they felt free of anxiety? I get flashbacks of what it was like and how I might have felt, now I just feel numb, with no life in me.

Yeah, the very first time I took a xanax I felt like all the weight was gone, like everything would work out just fine. I felt like myself for the first time since I was in my early teens. It was a cruel insight into how life could have been. Haven't had that feeling since

Yeah, the very first time I took a xanax I felt like all the weight was gone, like everything would work out just fine. I felt like myself for the first time since I was in my early teens. It was a cruel insight into how life could have been. Haven't had that feeling since

I would love to try a xanax- pity the feeling is short lived!

I was always a nervous child, moods were never that great either.

Hopefully in time you'll be able to feel so liberated again, maybe even without having to take a xanax.

I progressively got worse in the last few years with more of a fixation on my health (health anxiety). I lost friends, girlfriend and dropped out of college because of this. Not sure what the next year or so will entail.

I would love to try a xanax- pity the feeling is short lived!

I only got that feeling the first time I took it a few years ago. This time around nothing like that - it just took away the feeling of being unable to breathe.

Does anyone here use the live chat thing on turn2me.org?

Any time I go looking for it when I need to talk (sorta in real time if you get me)it doesn't seem to be online, even during the hours it says it is. Has anyone found it beneficial?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

Just found out that it's unlikely our lease will be renewed in September, so I'm going to need to find a new place this summer. I only moved in here last September, so it's **** - was hoping I'd be here for another year. It's making me really anxious for a few reasons: 1) I get social welfare so finding a place in the town where I live that I can afford is going to be next to impossible. 2) I need to stay in this general area because of access to the local mental health team and starting DBT, as well as other commitments. 3) I've been living with at least one person I know for the last 4 years so I'm going to have to move in with lots of new people. I'm pretty social and can get on with most people, but it's just a bit scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Seen the councellor for the first tie today.....

Apparently he reckons a lot of my problems come from a bad lifestyle like bad diet, lack of exercise, lack of sleep ect.. Which makes sense I suppose.. He wants me to improve on all of those things which will be difficult..

I'm defo depressed and suffering from anxiety though....

He was suprised how full of joy I am in person compared to the answers I gave in the assessment..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

carzony wrote: »
    Seen the councellor for the first tie today.....

Apparently he reckons a lot of my problems come from a bad lifestyle like bad diet, lack of exercise, lack of sleep ect.. Which makes sense I suppose.. He wants me to improve on all of those things which will be difficult..

I'm defo depressed and suffering from anxiety though....

He was suprised how full of joy I am in person compared to the answers I gave in the assessment..

It will be difficult but it will take time. Don't push yourself. Baby steps will do. It took me a few months to get into a good routine with the help of my therapist.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement