Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

Guys, things are going to be okay, right? They have to be..!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

Guys, things are going to be okay, right? They have to be..!

Yes everything will be okay. We all have a lot going for us even if it doesn't seem like it at times. We will get past this and we will come out the other side wiser and stronger.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

ID140_that_which_does_not_kill_me_makes_me.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Roquentin wrote: »
    ID140_that_which_does_not_kill_me_makes_me.png

Wish I could believe that one.

mg1982 wrote: »
    Wish I could believe that one.

I really do believe it because I have to find some meaning in all of this. It's probably just wishful thinking. I am bitter about the past. But I try to look at the present where I have been given an opportunity to rebuild my life. Hopefully it will all work out.

• Advertisement

greenfrogs wrote: »
    I really do believe it because I have to find some meaning in all of this. It's probably just wishful thinking. I am bitter about the past. But I try to look at the present where I have been given an opportunity to rebuild my life. Hopefully it will all work out.

Don't mind me gf I'm just stuck in a negative mindset right now.

Don't mind me gf I'm just stuck in a negative mindset right now.

I hope it passes for you soon.

I hope it passes for you soon.

Thank you. I hope it does too. I seem to have periods where I feel stable and then everything goes too sh1t. Around in circles.

Thank you. I hope it does too. I seem to have periods where I feel stable and then everything goes too sh1t. Around in circles.

I know how you feel. Finding it difficult to hang on tonight myself. Hope you find some comfort or peace tonight.

I actually have the same happen to me. I have been okay for the last month or so though. But like you said it does go in circles. However the spacing is getting longer between my down periods. However there is one situation which tends to easily set me off. I am getting better at dealing with it. Now I feel I have some power to fight it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,410 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

first time i posted in this thread

i have suffered from depression for years. Since 2013 i have broken up in my girlfriend, lost my best friend due to drinking too much (her words). in 2014 my mother died and in 2015 my uncle and 2 nannys died. I have been through many things such as being suspended from work and finishing college.

The only friends i have are the ones i work it. Last week i posted it up on our facebook dicussion that i suffer from depression. The support from the worker and the managers has been brillent.

I had taken rispirdone for the past 14 months and i gave it up 2 weeks ago because i didnt like the side effects i put on weight , i was restless zombie like.Since coming off the tablets i have had good and bad days i feel the paranoia has settled (Im starting to think i dont care if people dont like me or not, its there issues) but my sleep has been terrible.

Sometimes i feel like harming myself but if i kill myself i would miss out on all the good things to me eg Waterford GAA matches, Rugby matches, concerts and not seeing my neice and nephew growing up. I drink quite lot because i feel likes its a release for a few hours (every tuesday i go to a quite pub and have a few pints on my own).

I do miss my best friend and wish she was still in my life (what i find hard is that its something i done that made her hate me) . I would love to have a girlfriend and maybe more friends. Its hard to work in a retail job and suffer with depression.

i cant put into words what kind of depression i have but its been a lot of paranoia and anxiety. I have tried counselling but it wasant for me.

ill keep ye all updated on my condition

I actually have the same happen to me. I have been okay for the last month or so though. But like you said it does go in circles. However the spacing is getting longer between my down periods. However there is one situation which tends to easily set me off. I am getting better at dealing with it. Now I feel I have some power to fight it now.

If the down periods are becoming less it means you are making progress. My goal is to get to that. Did you find the meds or counselling helped you the most or does it take both?

If the down periods are becoming less it means you are making progress. My goal is to get to that. Did you find the meds or counselling helped you the most or does it take both?

For me it is both. My behaviour and personality had changed so much due to my mental health. I couldn't relate to other people, had poor social skills and was generally a very anxious person. For me I needed cbt to help me get back to the person I feel I really am. Normal psychotherapy had little benefit for me. I actually love cbt. The right therapy with the right counsellor makes such a difference. I'm still on meds. I remember being on 50mg of sertraline and still feeling quite down. When I went on 100 mg then I definitely noticed an improvement. I think the meds got me in the right head space for cbt.

Are you on meds or receiving any counselling?

For me it is both. My behaviour and personality had changed so much due to my mental health. I couldn't relate to other people, had poor social skills and was generally a very anxious person. For me I needed cbt to help me get back to the person I feel I really am. Normal psychotherapy had little benefit for me. I actually love cbt. The right therapy with the right counsellor makes such a difference. I'm still on meds. I remember being on 50mg of sertraline and still feeling quite down. When I went on 100 mg then I definitely noticed an improvement. I think the meds got me in the right head space for cbt.

Are you on meds or receiving any counselling?

I'm on lexapro and zyprexa. They do help to a point. I have seen a few counsellors as well and a psychologist Who's on maternity leave now. I have a complex diagnosis involving schizoid and ptsd traits. I just feel so messed up that nothing will fix me short of ten years of psychotherapy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭Joya

a friend of mine took his life two days ago after battling depression and lost the game..
    i just thought to say people lets be here or each other and be able to talk it through here at least or if any other way we can help each other..
    i am shocked about my friend he was a great person really unique and gentle and kind.
    and it is not that in a way i do not understand his act as i was close to it many times, but still i hope no one ever comes to that point in which i cannot even imagine him to be.............
    came back from work as could not think straight yet.. it sounds like a bad dream and im waiting to wake up...

I'm on lexapro and zyprexa. They do help to a point. I have seen a few counsellors as well and a psychologist Who's on maternity leave now. I have a complex diagnosis involving schizoid and ptsd traits. I just feel so messed up that nothing will fix me short of ten years of psychotherapy.

First of all I doubt it would take 10 years. But even if it did then you do feel that you can get better. For me it will probably be a year and a half before I finish all the recommended therapy. I don't know if I will be better by then but I hope so. Even now I am in a better place than I was last week. I feel week on week I am making improvements. I do have set backs but I try hard to overcome them because life can have many set backs. Even if it does take a good bit of time then it is worth it. Say if it takes you a few years to get better. However during those years everyday you will be getting better. It's not like after 2 years of therapy a switch will be turned on that makes everything better. During therapy life just gets a bit more manageable and you should see the improvements as time goes on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Joya wrote: »
    a friend of mine took his life two days ago after battling depression and lost the game..
    i just thought to say people lets be here or each other and be able to talk it through here at least or if any other way we can help each other..
    i am shocked about my friend he was a great person really unique and gentle and kind.
    and it is not that in a way i do not understand his act as i was close to it many times, but still i hope no one ever comes to that point in which i cannot even imagine him to be.............
    came back from work as could not think straight yet.. it sounds like a bad dream and im waiting to wake up...

So sorry to hear that Joya. :(

Oh Joya, how awful for you and your friend, and of course all his family. My thoughts are with you in this dreadful time. If you want to vent without making it public, you're more than welcome to PM me. Depression is such a cruel, cruel illness. Are there any stories of your friend you'd like to share? It sounds like he was a lovely person.

So sorry to hear that Joya. :(
    thank you hugo, i am so sorry as well...
    Oh Joya, how awful for you and your friend, and of course all his family. My thoughts are with you in this dreadful time. If you want to vent without making it public, you're more than welcome to PM me. Depression is such a cruel, cruel illness. Are there any stories of your friend you'd like to share? It sounds like he was a lovely person.
    thank you for this scrimshanker, yes he truly was, i still cannot believe that he took his own life..
    he was a seventh day in aikido, played piano and drums jazz, he was a true peace maker, organising various events around dublin, loved sailing, had a really lovely person for a partner for many years.. enjoyed all kins of eco friendly culture, planting and farming etc..
    it is hard to believe that a person like that came to a point where he thought he had no other choice...
    i could talk about him more of course but yes i am very sad and feel physical pain in my chest when movin and breathing..
    still do not know when the funeral will be.. just tragic really......

thank you hugo, i am so sorry as well...

thank you for this scrimshanker, yes he truly was, i still cannot believe that he took his own life..
    he was a seventh day in aikido, played piano and drums jazz, he was a true peace maker, organising various events around dublin, loved sailing, had a really lovely person for a partner for many years.. enjoyed all kins of eco friendly culture, planting and farming etc..
    it is hard to believe that a person like that came to a point where he thought he had no other choice...
    i could talk about him more of course but yes i am very sad and feel physical pain in my chest when movin and breathing..
    still do not know when the funeral will be.. just tragic really......

He sounds remarkable. I'm sure he's touched a lot of lives and his loss will be widely felt.

Do you have someone who can look after you over the next couple of days? Or can you meet with some of his other friends and share in your loss together?

• Advertisement

He sounds remarkable. I'm sure he's touched a lot of lives and his loss will be widely felt.

Do you have someone who can look after you over the next couple of days? Or can you meet with some of his other friends and share in your loss together?

he really was and he definitely touched many..
    i am talking with our mutual friends via fb... we are all just plain shocked..... we knew many people together and some of them are my best friends...

That is really awful Joya am sorry to hear that. Unfortunately a lot of young men in ireland today are going down the path of suicide. I hope you will get through this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

he really was and he definitely touched many..
    i am talking with our mutual friends via fb... we are all just plain shocked..... we knew many people together and some of them are my best friends...

It sounds like you will all have a great circle of support there so. Try to remember to good times ye all shared.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Emperor1989

Roquentin wrote: »
    the feeling you get when you are anxious and take a rivotril is like nirvana.

I actually bit the bullet and went to alternative therapy. As I said before in previous posts this is most out of character for me to get severe anxiety I was able to cope before and this was the first occasion this has happened in nearly 5 years.

Anyways I went to Acupuncture to test it out and that horrible queasy feeling has started to go. I basically just got it all done over my stomach and lets put it mildy my stomach came out not looking like it should. That was 5 hours ago and I have since eaten a full dinner and went to the bathroom many times (flushing out the bad stuff).

I believe I simply had a blockage in my stomach/Gut (due to all the medication I was taken for my earlier illness) that had not cleared and was making me very queasy and generally feeling unwell. I am naturally a worrier but when this wouldn't clear I believe I thought it was anxiety that was causing this.

But I now believe it was a vicious cycle of my stomach/gut being all wrong and my mind thinking i was anxious.

Now we will see how I feel over the next few days and if this is just a short lived thing but what I would say is that everyone knows there own body (well most do). Always confront or challenge your doctor if you feel unwell.

I am so glad I tried this different style and hopefully it will work for me. Going back Friday for another but the sound of food processing correctly in your system turns out to be amazing feeling :) when you feel like I did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭heyday30

Sorry to hear this joya. Don't think I can say anything else. RIP to your friend. We are here if you need to chat or vent. Mind yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭MojoRisinnnn

Hi guys I really need to talk to a psychiatrist and was wondering what the best option would be? I don't want to go directly to my GP as he lives on my road and I don't like how close to home it is, I can't really talk to any family or friends as I feel too much of a burden and I don't want to make anyone uncomfortable or worry as I'm sure they've there own stuff to deal with, any advice at all is really appreciated

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

Hi guys I really need to talk to a psychiatrist and was wondering what the best option would be? I don't want to go directly to my GP as he lives on my road and I don't like how close to home it is, I can't really talk to any family or friends as I feel too much of a burden and I don't want to make anyone uncomfortable or worry as I'm sure they've there own stuff to deal with, any advice at all is really appreciated

i think you have to go through a GP to be sent to see a psychiatrist. you have to be referred

I actually bit the bullet and went to alternative therapy. As I said before in previous posts this is most out of character for me to get severe anxiety I was able to cope before and this was the first occasion this has happened in nearly 5 years.

Anyways I went to Acupuncture to test it out and that horrible queasy feeling has started to go. I basically just got it all done over my stomach and lets put it mildy my stomach came out not looking like it should. That was 5 hours ago and I have since eaten a full dinner and went to the bathroom many times (flushing out the bad stuff).

I believe I simply had a blockage in my stomach/Gut (due to all the medication I was taken for my earlier illness) that had not cleared and was making me very queasy and generally feeling unwell. I am naturally a worrier but when this wouldn't clear I believe I thought it was anxiety that was causing this.

But I now believe it was a vicious cycle of my stomach/gut being all wrong and my mind thinking i was anxious.

Now we will see how I feel over the next few days and if this is just a short lived thing but what I would say is that everyone knows there own body (well most do). Always confront or challenge your doctor if you feel unwell.

I am so glad I tried this different style and hopefully it will work for me. Going back Friday for another but the sound of food processing correctly in your system turns out to be amazing feeling :) when you feel like I did.

What kind of stomach problems were you having, was it like constipation? I been having awful stomach problems like bloating indigestion an general discomfort. I never new acupuncture could help with that.

Can you go to a different GP?

I had the same worries as you, so I went to a different GP in the same practice. In the end I told my family what's been going on and visited the other doc when the one I was attending was unexpectedly away, and it wasn't uncomfortable or awkward.

Do try to remember they're professionals and tbh your issues won't seem weird or odd. 1 in 9 people have anxiety disorders during their life, depression affects 1 in 10 at any one point. So every single day he'll see several people with depression and/or anxiety. It's really nothing to be ashamed of. People go to their GP with awkward problems and there are much more awkward and intimate things than having trouble with your mood/anxiety! WRT to your family, I felt the exact same way and in the end when I told my family they were upset I hadn't said something sooner. That's what family is for after all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

What happens when you go to a GP and lay it bear, saying look, I can't cope.. I need help... and they just turn you away?

Presumably they have assessed you as being ok? I've found this an issue with people I speak to. In their view, it has taken considerable courage and strength to come forward. The basic premise is to say, look, this just isn't going away, it's affecting my life, my relationships, my work, whatever.

And they are turned away. Go for a walk You're grand A nod and a listen. Is this the front line GP service struggling to cope, or are these people ok?

I done a bit of work with a priest and I'd just be speaking to some men who'd be in talking to the priest and listening to them. I'm not a doctor or anything so I can't really say much specifically, but I just think about the issues in general terms, and wonder are these subset of people ok?

One particular comment that struck me was from one man who said that he felt better that morning in going forward to his GP as he heard it advertised to do so, but that now that he had been in front of medical professionals and they told him there's pretty much nothing they can do, he is actually so frightened. He moved from a situation where he believed he was making the first step, to now essentially feeling alone. He's not doubting the doctor, but just to have felt that way for months and now to hear there's nothing wrong with him, he's scared, and unsure how to cope going forward. He said he'd try the walking in the park, but I just felt uneasy about the story.

How do you cope when you are finding it hard, and the doctor shows you the door?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement