Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

myshirt wrote: »
    What happens when you go to a GP and lay it bear, saying look, I can't cope.. I need help... and they just turn you away?

Presumably they have assessed you as being ok? I've found this an issue with people I speak to. In their view, it has taken considerable courage and strength to come forward. The basic premise is to say, look, this just isn't going away, it's affecting my life, my relationships, my work, whatever.

And they are turned away. Go for a walk You're grand A nod and a listen. Is this the front line GP service struggling to cope, or are these people ok?

I done a bit of work with a priest and I'd just be speaking to some men who'd be in talking to the priest and listening to them. I'm not a doctor or anything so I can't really say much specifically, but I just think about the issues in general terms, and wonder are these subset of people ok?

One particular comment that struck me was from one man who said that he felt better that morning in going forward to his GP as he heard it advertised to do so, but that now that he had been in front of medical professionals and they told him there's pretty much nothing they can do, he is actually so frightened. He moved from a situation where he believed he was making the first step, to now essentially feeling alone. He's not doubting the doctor, but just to have felt that way for months and now to hear there's nothing wrong with him, he's scared, and unsure how to cope going forward. He said he'd try the walking in the park, but I just felt uneasy about the story.

How do you cope when you are finding it hard, and the doctor shows you the door?

My advice would be go to another doctor. Plain and simple. Any doctor who advises going for a walk as the only treatment is quite poor. Was there any follow up appointment, any referral to other services or any kind of a treatment plan put in place. If your day to day life is being affected negatively by your mental health then there is an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

What happens when you go to a GP and lay it bear, saying look, I can't cope.. I need help... and they just turn you away?

Presumably they have assessed you as being ok? I've found this an issue with people I speak to. In their view, it has taken considerable courage and strength to come forward. The basic premise is to say, look, this just isn't going away, it's affecting my life, my relationships, my work, whatever.

And they are turned away. Go for a walk You're grand A nod and a listen. Is this the front line GP service struggling to cope, or are these people ok?

I done a bit of work with a priest and I'd just be speaking to some men who'd be in talking to the priest and listening to them. I'm not a doctor or anything so I can't really say much specifically, but I just think about the issues in general terms, and wonder are these subset of people ok?

One particular comment that struck me was from one man who said that he felt better that morning in going forward to his GP as he heard it advertised to do so, but that now that he had been in front of medical professionals and they told him there's pretty much nothing they can do, he is actually so frightened. He moved from a situation where he believed he was making the first step, to now essentially feeling alone. He's not doubting the doctor, but just to have felt that way for months and now to hear there's nothing wrong with him, he's scared, and unsure how to cope going forward. He said he'd try the walking in the park, but I just felt uneasy about the story.

How do you cope when you are finding it hard, and the doctor shows you the door?

I have to say that sounds very unprofessional from that doctor but you will get medical professionals who take an old fashioned view of these things like saying its only a bit of anxiety, we all get that or go for a walk everyday and it will blow over. Those doctors are not doing there jobs and are neglecting the person that has taken the courage to go and see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Well, again, this is me just chatting to these people, and not anyone else, so possibly it's poor quality information. I don't know them, or their doctors, etc etc. I'm just sitting around drinking tea, and chatting to these guys, well, listening really as I don't know what to say. I couldn't just skull my tea and move on, if a man is talking I'll hear him out, human contact always good.

Nevertheless, was quite struck that this chap, he set out it took a lot out of him to make that first move, and now he was feeling a bit lost, beat up, down, clueless as what to do next, because when he went home he had to deal with this. There'll be no more building up courage to go to the doctor, he'd already tried that route and been through that process. What he's now facing is a much more lonely process, whatever that might be. Not challenging what his doctor said, but just having a brain myself, didn't feel it was right. He definitely won't go back again is my view. Not angry or anything, just defeated really.

I'm wondering have we an issue here, what can these profile of guys do, can they be picked up elsewhere, say if the doctor was poor here.

Well, again, this is me just chatting to these people, and not anyone else, so possibly it's poor quality information. I don't know them, or their doctors, etc etc. I'm just sitting around drinking tea, and chatting to these guys, well, listening really as I don't know what to say. I couldn't just skull my tea and move on, if a man is talking I'll hear him out, human contact always good.

Nevertheless, was quite struck that this chap, he set out it took a lot out of him to make that first move, and now he was feeling a bit lost, beat up, down, clueless as what to do next, because when he went home he had to deal with this. Not challenging what his doctor said, but just having a brain myself, didn't feel it was right. He definitely won't go back again is my view. Not angry or anything, just defeated really.

I'm wondering have we an issue here, what can these profile of guys do, can they be picked up elsewhere, say if the doctor was poor here.

Fair play for making an effort here. It's always difficult to know what to say in these situations. I find some people think doctors know it all. It's simply not true. There are good doctors and bad doctor just like with every other profession. I'm not sue what you mean by them being picked up elsewhere. I would see their options as being to get a second opinion and/or researching the availability of mental health services such as pieta house in their area.

What I mean by picked up is will this man be identified as in need of help. Are there any mechanisms in our system to identify these people and get services to them.

Because he certainly is not going to come forward and make the effort himself. And he lives by himself.

• Advertisement

What I mean by picked up is will this man be identified as in need of help. Are there any mechanisms in our system to identify these people and get services to them.

Because he certainly is not going to come forward and make the effort himself. And he lives by himself.

Before I went to my doctor my worst fear was that they would fob me off. To be honest that could really knock a person. I feel so sorry for this man because in my opinion he has received substandard care.

I would recommend what I said in my last post. Go to another doctor or maybe you could research the availability of free mental health services in his area such as pieta house and give him this information. It would be nice for him to see he has some support. Besides that I have no advice unfortunately. You can only be referred to the hse mental health services through a GP

Sometimes with the medical system you have to be persistent. If i was him i would go back to that doctor and ask to be referred onto the mental health services. Thats what i did.

Yeah, I get you. Makes sense. Nevertheless, frightening to have been before some medical minds and the indications are that there's no help.

Human spirit will win out though. If it persists, you have to push for help, that appears to be the lesson.

Yeah, I get you. Makes sense. Nevertheless, frightening to have been before some medical minds and the indications are that there's no help.

Human spirit will win out though. If it persists, you have to push for help, that appears to be the lesson.

It shouldnt come to that but unfortunately it does sometimes. Doctors can be very hit and miss in this country and some are very arrogant too.

mg1982 wrote: »
    It shouldnt come to that but unfortunately it does sometimes. Doctors can be very hit and miss in this country and some are very arrogant too.

So true. I am seeing a consultant on an unrelated issue. He is the most arrogant and rudest man. I know someone who used work with him and she had warned me of his behaviour beforehand. He reduced me to tears due to his rude manner. You'd think the fact he knew I was on anti depressants would make him be nicer. But no. He has a terrible bedside manner.

• Advertisement

greenfrogs wrote: »
    So true. I am seeing a consultant on an unrelated issue. He is the most arrogant and rudest man. I know someone who used work with him and she had warned me of his behaviour beforehand. He reduced me to tears due to his rude manner. You'd think the fact he knew I was on anti depressants would make him be nicer. But no. He has a terrible bedside manner.

I think with some off them they feel when they have the title of consultant or doctor it gives them an air of superiority over you, and then when they find you have mental health issues they really treat you like a child.

I think with some off them they feel when they have the title of consultant or doctor it gives them an air of superiority over you, and then when they find you have mental health issues they really treat you like a child.

Some of them definitely have that air of superiority. It's very off putting. But the reality is some people are just like that. You could meet a shop assistant who looks down on you as well but that's easier to ignore. No offense to shop assistants intended. It feels sometimes that they are accountable to nobody. Therefore they can do what they like. Im trying to imagine what if when I first went to my doctor and she fobbed me off. I was in such a bad place and needed help urgently. I think I would have continued with my life getting worse by the second. And I would have a longer journey to getting better. It's scary really.

I haven't yet have someone treat me like a child that I have noticed. That would make me extremely angry. I could not deal with a doctor or counsellor who does that. I think I have been treated nicely my gp and mental health team so far anyway. Does anyone find that pharmacists are usually really nice to them when they see your prescription. I get my prescription from various pharmacies around the place and noticed how nice they all seem to be. But then maybe they are like that to all their customers, I used never really get prescriptions before.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Emperor1989

What kind of stomach problems were you having, was it like constipation? I been having awful stomach problems like bloating indigestion an general discomfort. I never new acupuncture could help with that.

I had very bad discomfort in my stomach and I thought it was anxiety as I never had it before but I believe what it is now was just simply some blockage or bad stuff in my stomach. I came out like a rainbow around my stomach and I felt my stomach properly digesting my food now and I had to go to the bathroom 3 times to get rid of the bad stuff. I feel better today but I am still tender from the acupuncture.

Now I am not saying its completely clear or gone and it may not work for everyone but I feel a lot better than i did. Something to keep in mind....the guy also changed my mind on things. Not everything can be solved with a tablet from a Doctor who see's you for 15 mins and send you on your merry way with a handful of drugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

Not doing too well lately. Parents are upset and worried about the lack of study I've been doing. So am I really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Well Emperor, my friend who would be generally sceptical of stuff like that went and did it and said the difference was incredible. He also mentioned that he read up about it and it seems to be gaining more general acceptance in the west.

Not doing too well lately. Parents are upset and worried about the lack of study I've been doing. So am I really.

Sorry to hear scrim, i know how hard it is to study when you have a lot on your mind. Is it that your not feeling motivated?

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Emperor1989

Well Emperor, my friend who would be generally sceptical of stuff like that went and did it and said the difference was incredible. He also mentioned that he read up about it and it seems to be gaining more general acceptance in the west.

That's fantastic news.

I am feeling better again today so hopefully another session Friday and I will be good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭KJohnson7780

This is probably the most stupid thing you guys have heard but i have to ask, Has anyone been afraid to take medication? I suffer from depression & when gp prescribed medication i read the leaflet & got really scared reading all the side affects

This is probably the most stupid thing you guys have heard but i have to ask, Has anyone been afraid to take medication? I suffer from depression & when gp prescribed medication i read the leaflet & got really scared reading all the side affects

I think it's only natural to feel like this. Sometimes the side effects can be scary to read. However sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and take the meds. For me I suffered from some side effects but they disappeared within a few weeks. Your body will get used to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 rainbowmoose

Had my fifth week of therapy before lunch there & I'm now exhausted & can't focus.
    Crazy how it takes so much out of you.

• Advertisement

Had my fifth week of therapy before lunch there & I'm now exhausted & can't focus.
    Crazy how it takes so much out of you.

It does take a lot out-of you but hopefully longer term you see the benefits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Sorry to hear that Scrim. It's only natural for parents to worry at times like this. You didn't set out to upset them with any of this though.

That's not stupid at all. I can kinda relate in a way. I'm scared of getting my medication changed despite issues I'm having for fear of getting worse. Are there any particular side affects that worry you most? Side affects generally have to be included with the medication leaflet due to legal requirements, they generally are very rare occurrences and those that do appear are usually very small.

Tough day today. Got really panicked and came close to crumbling. I stress far too easily for my own liking. Just want the bed to swallow me lol :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

I have only posted in here once or twice but I'm really struggling at the moment.
    I feel very overwhelmed and feel like everything is out of control.
    I am waiting on my GP to source a counsellor for me and in the meantime she has put me on a low dose of anti-depressant until I start seeing the counsellor and they will then discuss dosage/type of medication etc.
    I am finding it very hard to deal with my GP telling me that I am too young for certain medication or increases in medication that I am currently on. I feel like some sort of junkie going in requesting changes to my prescription and dosage of medication etc. Her reason is never that she thinks I don't need it, I clearly do because of the level of pain I am in and the level of immobility I am still experiencing, it's always that I'm too young. I am so worried that if this "take it easy" approach to treatment continues I'm going to miss the opportunity to treat my injuries and symptoms with intensive treatment and then I won't be young anymore, I'll be an even older woman in a 28 year old's body.
    I'm at the point where my mental health is suffering because of the pain I am in and the fact that I can't walk properly! I can't effing walk!
    I hate the approach to medical care in this country so much.

Frigga_92 wrote: »
    I have only posted in here once or twice but I'm really struggling at the moment.
    I feel very overwhelmed and feel like everything is out of control.
    I am waiting on my GP to source a counsellor for me and in the meantime she has put me on a low dose of anti-depressant until I start seeing the counsellor and they will then discuss dosage/type of medication etc.
    I am finding it very hard to deal with my GP telling me that I am too young for certain medication or increases in medication that I am currently on. I feel like some sort of junkie going in requesting changes to my prescription and dosage of medication etc. Her reason is never that she thinks I don't need it, I clearly do because of the level of pain I am in and the level of immobility I am still experiencing, it's always that I'm too young. I am so worried that if this "take it easy" approach to treatment continues I'm going to miss the opportunity to treat my injuries and symptoms with intensive treatment and then I won't be young anymore, I'll be an even older woman in a 28 year old's body.
    I'm at the point where my mental health is suffering because of the pain I am in and the fact that I can't walk properly! I can't effing walk!
    I hate the approach to medical care in this country so much.

Sorry to hear that things are really tough there at the moment Frigga.

The softly softly approach taken by doctors can be infuriating at times.

Did they give an indication as to how long you'll be waiting to see a counsellor?

I can understand the whole making you feel like a junkie thing. It's bewildering that they are so reluctant to prescribe something better for your physical condition, age shouldn't have to be a factor if you are immobile like that.

Sorry to hear that things are really tough there at the moment Frigga.

The softly softly approach taken by doctors can be infuriating at times.

Did they give an indication as to how long you'll be waiting to see a counsellor?

I can understand the whole making you feel like a junkie thing. It's bewildering that they are so reluctant to prescribe something better for your physical condition, age shouldn't have to be a factor if you are immobile like that.

It is so frustrating. I had worked myself up so much this morning prior to the appointment and now afterwards I just feel so angry and deflated.
    I have to go back to my GP every month anyway in respect of treatment so she said the next time I am in with her she will hopefully have an appointment for me or, at the very least, a name of a local counsellor. I'm obviously going private, she said the wait for a public appointment could be well over a year. Not sure how much it's going to cost but sure, it's just another bloody medical expense I have to endure.

I feel like I have to beg for something that I so obviously need. Prior to the events that happened that left me this way, I never had a to take a tablet for anything, I literally never suffered from a headache or anything like that, so anything I need now is directly related to permanent symptoms, some of which I've had for 3 years now. I wish more than anything that I didn't have to take any tablets and go back to the way I used to be.

I know I'm really just ranting and raving but I need to let this out somewhere, I just feel so fed up and weepy all the time.
    At the moment I am only leaving the house for medical appointments because I've been advised not to drive unless absolutely necessary due to my physical condition, which doesn't help the head either.

Frigga_92 wrote: »
    I know I'm really just ranting and raving but I need to let this out somewhere, I just feel so fed up and weepy all the time.
    At the moment I am only leaving the house for medical appointments because I've been advised not to drive unless absolutely necessary due to my physical condition, which doesn't help the head either.

Here is the perfect spot for that. Goodness knows I've done it enough myself. There's the option of low cost counselling, various places do that. You could also register with turn2me.org, they offer free online one to one counselling to people in Ireland. They also have online chat from 1930-2130 daily, where you can just vent with other people.

Here is the perfect spot for that. Goodness knows I've done it enough myself. There's the option of low cost counselling, various places do that. You could also register with turn2me.org, they offer free online one to one counselling to people in Ireland. They also have online chat from 1930-2130 daily, where you can just vent with other people.

Thanks for that scrimshanker, I am actually nearing the end of my free counselling sessions with turn2me and the counsellor has suggested that I need more intensive medical intervention so hopefully that won't take too long to sort out. I found that particularly helpful for me because I'm so restricted with driving and we don't have public transport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

It's been a horrible day

• Advertisement

GeneralC wrote: »
    It's been a horrible day

So sorry to hear that. Want to elaborate or just getting it out there?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement