Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

It annoys me when people say there's nothing with me, or I need a job. Just because I am not going around in a wheelchair (don't mean to offend people who are), doesn't mean I am not suffering!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭gavdolfini

First time ive seen this thread, thought id add my thoughts, i have been through the whole anxiety issue (still do but less frequent and more control), had it at its worse about 3/4 years for a solid 6 months or more, pretty horrible feeling. Lucky enough ive had one or two friends who have suffered the same problem and helped me out. i found educating yourself on it and understanding that it is normal, youre not going to go mad, be able to accept it and it helped relieve it in time.

I also changed my diet, found complex vit bs, vit d's, zinc and magnesium (orotate, mot easily absorbable) take them everyday and hopefully you will see a change after a month or so. When it was at its worse i stopped drinking for few months, plenty of water and a healthy diet and excerise and of course talk to people.

Hope this helps anybody going through it.

GeneralC wrote: »
    It annoys me when people say there's nothing with me, or I need a job. Just because I am not going around in a wheelchair (don't mean to offend people who are), doesn't mean I am not suffering!

To be honest being active will help your situation, when i was not working i found it was worse at this time. More time to think about your worries i suppose. Chin up, things will change when you least expect it.

gavdolfini wrote: »
    First time ive seen this thread, thought id add my thoughts, i have been through the whole anxiety issue (still do but less frequent and more control), had it at its worse about 3/4 years for a solid 6 months or more, pretty horrible feeling. Lucky enough ive had one or two friends who have suffered the same problem, i found educating yourself on it and understanding that it is normal, youre not going to go mad, be able to accept it and it helped it.

I also changed my diet, found complex vit bs, vit d's, zinc and magnesium (orotate, mot easily absorbable) take them everyday and hopefully you will see a change after a month or so. When it was at its worse i stopped drinking for few months, plenty of water and a healthy diet and excerise and of course talk to people.

Hope this helps anybody going through it.

Thanks for sharing that. I hope you're keeping well now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

*bro-hugs*

We get you GC

• Advertisement

To be honest being active will help your situation, when i was not working i found it was worse at this time. More time to think about your worries i suppose. Chin up, things will change when you least expect it.

I do see their point, however, I can barely go to the gym without having to go to the jacks to scream(internally)/cry

*bro-hugs*

We get you GC

It's worse when your own parents are putting you down. Telling me I am not able to do something I want to do - because "I am too old" and that I should be working earning money instead of sitting around-ugh! And "I am pretending I'm not well" :mad:

Try taking a valium or xanex with you. Dont take them myself but a friend has them just in case he ever needs one, finds reassurance knowing they are just there. Try taking the supps/diet change, see how you go, try bit more positive... Never to old to start life over anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

I get what you're saying completely. I actually have anxiety problems (although no diagnosis, nor am I seeking one) and a physical but very much hidden "disability" (that has been diagnosed formally). The physical one can be demonstrated physically, but to look at me you wouldn't know a thing was wrong, and even when demonstrated people say "Yeah but you're just very flexible, why not take up dancing?" (I have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome). Never mind the crippling pain so. Never mind that the pain can be so severe that one woman I heard of had her leg amputated voluntarily. Never mind the actual diagnosis! As a kid I used to scream myself to sleep with the pain, but PE teachers were dismissive and tried to force me to participate in high-impact stuff.

People find it very hard to go against what they can see with their own eyes, they see someone who looks physically well. They don't see someone whose mind is ripping itself apart with anxiety and causing them to be unable to breathe properly, or making them nauseated. They can't see your suffering, so they find it hard to really believe it. But know that here, we believe you. I believe you're suffering. It's real suffering. It sucks. It really does. It's hard to get up day after day and fight against it, but you do, so please recognise the incredible strength you have internally.
    It's worse when your own parents are putting you down. Telling me I am not able to do something I want to do - because "I am too old" and that I should be working earning money instead of sitting around-ugh! And "I am pretending I'm not well" :mad:

I'm gonna put it out there that if your parents weren't doing this, you might?

I guess that leaves you in a position where you have a choice. The first option is do nothing and try to put up with it. The second choice is, as I said before, people believe what they see. If you believe you're not too old to do what you want, show them that you aren't too old. If they don't believe you're unwell, show them that you're engaging with the doctor. Bring them to an appointment if you'd like the doctor to educate them. Very easy for me to type, I get that. Veeery easy. Not so easy to do. Are you attending any sort of therapist who could give you some help with dealing with your parents?
    Try taking a valium or xanex with you.

Activity does help but if it's leaving you in a panic every time you try it's counter productive to go to the gym. Can you even get out for a walk and build up to going back to the gym?

This might actually be something you could raise with your GP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

Feeling stressed about something that isn't happening for a few months. It is a big family occasion. These never go well for me as my social anxiety sky rockets. Now couple that with family disagreements, people who I really do not ever want to see again and being extremely self-conscious about my appearance. I know I should go as it will be a good learning experience. But it sounds so stressful.

• Advertisement

Thanks ScrimS, appreciate your advice, and everyone's for that matter.

I have a physical disability, a heart condition, but the anxiety is a far greater disability for me. As a young man in his 20's I feel I can't do anything I want to do, it has left me paralyzed.

My parents don't give a rats to be honest. I have been in countless arguments over the years as to why they haven't offered a bit of support to me regarding this. All they think is I am lazy and need a kick up the arse etc.. I don't think they realise how bad I am.

I can go for a walk to my local park, but yes you're right, the gym is counter productive at the moment!

I am almost afraid to go down to my GP, I think he's almost out of ideas with how to help me without putting me on medication, to which I can't take because of my heart condition.

Random note, does anyone go into what I can only describe as fits, were you shake, or when you feel you're stuck and your body is rigid? Also, does anyone suffer from brain fog? or outter body experiences?

I went to my uni library today and borrowed the book Full Catastrophe Living- it's meant to be to really help anxiety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

GeneralC, if your GP is out of ideas maybe it's time for a referral onward. Is that something you feel you could raise with your GP?

GeneralC, if your GP is out of ideas maybe it's time for a referral onward. Is that something you feel you could raise with your GP?

ScrimS, I was attending a psychologist for a few years, then that service stopped last year and I haven't seen anyone regularly since. I was attending a day hospital for a brief period, but I got nothing out of it. I am now on another waiting list (public service) to see a psychologist, however it's a 11 month wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

People find it very hard to go against what they can see with their own eyes, they see someone who looks physically well. They can't see your suffering, so they find it hard to really believe it.

Well said.
    I find my "invisible" illness very difficult to cope with in respect of the impact it has on my friends. They can't see it so it's not there. It's not always debilitating so it's not there. It doesn't affect every single thing so it's not there.
    At least with a visible physical ailment you can demonstrate what you are experiencing. You can't really demonstrate your feelings and, I think most people here would agree with me, it's almost impossible to put into words what anxiety and depression is like, not least of all because it's so so different for everybody.

ScrimS, I was attending a psychologist for a few years, then that service stopped last year and I haven't seen anyone regularly since. I was attending a day hospital for a brief period, but I got nothing out of it. I am now on another waiting list (public service) to see a psychologist, however it's a 11 month wait!

The wait is unbelievable, my GP said today it's over a year where I am, absolutely shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

I was told i'd be waiting about 12 months to see a councellor and in the end I only had a 4 months wait before I was able to see the councellor if that makes you feel any better :)

Frigga_92 wrote: »
    The wait is unbelievable, my GP said today it's over a year where I am, absolutely shocking.

I was complaining about that very thing on here 2 weeks ago. It's just unacceptable that someone with problems like this should have to wait atall. I was having almost constant panic attacks and still had to wait 4 months which is long considering the effect it was having on me..

carzony wrote: »
    I was complaining about that very thing on here 2 weeks ago. It's just unacceptable that someone with problems like this should have to wait atall. I was having almost constant panic attacks and still had to wait 4 months which is long considering the effect it was having on me..

It's awful. I'm so thankful I have the money (albeit I'm just taking money from one pit and putting it in another) to go private. I have PTSD and I've been told waiting any longer could do irreversible damage.

I might borrow some money from the credit union, as I can't wait 11 months. Does anyone recommend a psychologist in the Dublin area?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

Do either of ye have health insurance. I think some health insurance memberships might contribute towards mental health services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭heyday30

carzony wrote: »

It's completely daft. I had to go the private route there two years ago had an appointment in 4 days at €65 a pop. Fantastic Country eh.

My father a few years ago done the same thing. He just couldnt wait the few months so just went private.. Ended up costing him 1500 altogether but he says it was well worth it..

heyday30 wrote: »
    It's completely daft. I had to go the private route there two years ago had an appointment in 4 days at €65 a pop. Fantastic Country eh.

Madness... Was it worth it though?

I am now searching for psychologists on the Northside of the city, tired of this ****, time for change!

Madness... Was it worth it though?

Worth every penny imo. Got more to the route of the cause than just flogging loads of medication. Also done cbt.

heyday30 wrote: »
    Worth every penny imo. Got more to the route of the cause than just flogging loads of medication. Also done cbt.

Can I ask how you sourced the psychologist? There seems to be so many, it's all rather confusing!

Can I ask how you sourced the psychologist? There seems to be so many, it's all rather confusing!

My GP. Recommended her. After much frustration with the mental health clinic. Might be a good place to start with your doctor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Its a terrible thing when your life is dominated by fear and there are so many triggers that set it off. Im thinking of going down the private route for counselling myself. I know it can be 50 or 60 a session though.

• Advertisement

My go recommended a guy to me before, he was charging €110 per hour! As a student, I just can't afford that. 50/60 euro is just about manageable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement