Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭Joya

might talk to my gp about that next time i see her so...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

mg1982 wrote: »
    For me it's the only thing that can stop anxiety in its tracks is benzos. I know doctors are very much against prescribing them but they work for me. And I have tried pretty much every kind of therapy.

rivotril and xanaz are addictive thats why their is reticence in prescribing them.

if you take too many over a period of time you build up tolerance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Roquentin wrote: »
    rivotril and xanaz are addictive thats why their is reticence in prescribing them.

if you take too many over a period of time you build up tolerance

I only take two or three a week Just as a maintenance dose. Ya if you were taking them every day for a period you would become addicted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

I only take two or three a week Just as a maintenance dose. Ya if you were taking them every day for a period you would become addicted.

theyd only last three or four hours as well before they lose their effect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

father ted crilly, please stop posting off-topic posts. That's not what this thread is for. Don't post in that manner again here

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 217 ✭✭Father Ted Crilly

sam34 wrote: »
    father ted crilly, please stop posting off-topic posts. That's not what this thread is for. Don't post in that manner again here

Alright sergeant, and thanks for publicly embarrassing me. Sorry for the trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

I wonder how long though? My GP gave me 3 a day for 4 weeks supply. I took them solidly for a while and then stopped with no issues. Back on them now though.

I wonder how long though? My GP gave me 3 a day for 4 weeks supply. I took them solidly for a while and then stopped with no issues. Back on them now though.

Id say you could be talking 3 months or so before addiction is a problem but then im no expert. Everyone could be different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

Out of curiosity what type of jobs do people here have? In my last two jobs I found it quite difficult to work and perform well. They were in 2 very different areas. One was physically taxing while the other was mentally taxing. I'm wondering should I look for a job in an 'unskilled' area or should I try to get a job in the area I am studying part time in. However I was also fired from a previous job in what I am currently studying. I wish I could get a job where people know of my issues so that I would feel less pressured. I think I should see if there are any back to work schemes in my area. I just want to be normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 gemmaS6988

I think xanax is the name of it. It's pretty strong alright. I find the diazepam better.
    Sorry poor spelling whatever works for you x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 gemmaS6988

I think xanax is the name of it. It's pretty strong alright. I find the diazepam better.
    Sorry poor spelling whatever works for you x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

This might be going off-topic but does anyone here think about Heaven and Hell and that sort of stuff? And do you ever think about that when you are depressed? I personally don't care what happens in this life as long as I am reunited with all of my loved ones in the next life, forever and ever and ever and ever and ever......

I don't suffer from depression, what's the point? If there is nothing at the end of it, what's the point in living a good life?

Not sure if you're taking the piss or being serious:confused:

GeneralC wrote: »
    Not sure if you're taking the piss or being serious:confused:

I get the feeling we're a source of entertainment for that poster.

greenfrogs wrote: »
    Out of curiosity what type of jobs do people here have? In my last two jobs I found it quite difficult to work and perform well. They were in 2 very different areas. One was physically taxing while the other was mentally taxing. I'm wondering should I look for a job in an 'unskilled' area or should I try to get a job in the area I am studying part time in. However I was also fired from a previous job in what I am currently studying. I wish I could get a job where people know of my issues so that I would feel less pressured. I think I should see if there are any back to work schemes in my area. I just want to be normal.

PM sent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭Joya

previously (till recession) an architect
    software developer atm..

deferred student, hoping to return in Sept, if I can get my anxiety under control.

I get the feeling we're a source of entertainment for that poster.

What makes you think that? I'm a fellow anxiety sufferer. I need to know that I'm not alone linking religion to anxiety. I don't mean that religion causes my anxiety, it kind of comforts me. I just wanted to know was that the same for you guys.

What makes you think that? I'm a fellow anxiety sufferer. I need to know that I'm not alone linking religion to anxiety. I don't mean that religion causes my anxiety, it kind of comforts me. I just wanted to know was that the same for you guys.

Religion plays no part in my life. I detest even going into a church. However its nice that it comforts you.

Heads-up: Toastmasters is on Monday 11th May in the Skylon Hotel on the Drumcondra Road. I know people who have anxiety attend these and find them helpful with social situations/work/college.

Sorry I took you up wrong. Just all the posts about father ted made it seem like your other post was also a joke.

Religion has never really played any part in my life. Didn't believe in God as a kid or anything. Not closed off to the idea of higher powers, just don't currently believe in any. If if comforts you, though, then I guess that's something to hang on to.

• Advertisement

Feels like I am coming with some virus/flu, which is not good because I find my anxiety is higher when I am sick!

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭perfectisthe

Id say you could be talking 3 months or so before addiction is a problem but then im no expert. Everyone could be different.

Unfortunately this is an area that I have quite a lot of experience in. I had a pretty serious benzo addiction that, thank god, I managed to kick.

Generally, around four weeks of sustained use is enough to develop a problem. Like in most things though, everyone is different. Some people will have no problems at all with that kind of usage.

Benzos can be a godsend for really extreme anxiety. When used judiciously they can be an important part of anxiety management, indeed, initially they really helped me.

I spent the guts of a year trying to come off them, seeing many, many professionals along the way. I'm happy to answer any questions on my experience if anyone's curious (maybe not on this thread? fairly off topic...)

Anyway, on topic -

I've had a good month, but my anxiety has come roaring back for the past two days. I delved into some pretty uncomfortable stuff with my Pdoc on Tuesday morning, and I have to say it made me feel worse than I have in a long time

It sounds like you had a tough day. However why don't you wait until the doctor makes his queries and discusses them with you. Also your Mom asked you loads of questions because she cares. She may have gone about it in the wrong way by threatening to call the school but ultimately I can see why she did it. Is there any chance that you could sit down and discuss this issue with your Mom. A doctor is there to help you and so is your Mom.
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

I only ever get depressed when I think about my deceased grandmother. I was VERY close to her. She shaped who I am today. That's why religion comforts me. For me, the fifth stage of grief isn't acceptance, it's repeat. I'm stuck in a continuous loop of depression and anger.

But I am sick of it at this stage. Anxiety and Depression can go to Hell. Alright? I've had enough. I'm sticking my middle finger up at Anxiety and Depression. Mentally, of course.

I'm sorry if it's not as easy as that for you people. But I've been a fool. I've allowed the littlest of things to make me anxious, not anymore though.
    I'm just going to move on with my life. I'm going to do what I have to do to survive. I'm not gonna let demons inside my head annoy me. At the end of the day, everything's ok. Anxiety has no place in my life anymore. Depression is a pointless and harmful emotion. If there is a God, I'm gonna have a serious word with him about what he was thinking when he invented depression.

I wish everyone here the best in life and I hope that you can defeat the tyrant demons inside your head. Metaphor...

There is still a lot of stigma surrounding mental health. That is very rude of your Mom to be discussing you with her siblings. I wouldn't be at all happy if my Mom did that.

It sounds like a good idea to get out with your friends as often as you can.
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Had a rough day at work yesterday. Ended up losing the head a bit and said a few choice words to some of the people I was working with. I just felt under a lot of pressure and there was too much being left on my shoulders. I think my days there are numbered after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭heyday30

Had a rough day at work yesterday. Ended up losing the head a bit and said a few choice words to some of the people I was working with. I just felt under a lot of pressure and there was too much being left on my shoulders. I think my days there are numbered after that.

Sorry to hear mg, it's hard not to loose the head in the work environment when your under stress and pressure. Is there anyone you can talk to there to let them know your feeling a bit overwhelmed?

You poor thing. I really feel for you.

I asked here a few days back what kind of jobs people work in. It's because sometimes I genuinely wonder how some people here can work with this awful illness. I know from past experience that I get stressed really easily. It actually is mentally and physically hard to work when you feel like this. Try not to be too hard on yourself. Unfortunately I think this is part of the illness. You aren't the first nor are you the last that this will happen to.

Thanks for the support, it does mean a lot. The line of work im in now is not good for a person with mental issues. I know it is partly my own fault as i tend to just go along with everything and im not assertive enough. Passive aggressive might be another word.

• Advertisement

Really.. Really not

I don't know what I'm not

Want death to take me

Can't even begin to describe it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement