Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

greenfrogs wrote: »
    That must have taken a lot of courage. I hope you can focus your attention on your health now. It really is more important than any exams.

Actually in the end it took very little courage. I just couldn't do it today. But yeah, no exams or job is worth sacrificing health for. It's not the end of the world, whatever happens. And if any problems do crop up because of it I can deal with them as they occur. Have a rotten pain in my stomach from it all, but overall waaaaay less anxious tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

Actually in the end it took very little courage. I just couldn't do it today. But yeah, no exams or job is worth sacrificing health for. It's not the end of the world, whatever happens. And if any problems do crop up because of it I can deal with them as they occur. Have a rotten pain in my stomach from it all, but overall waaaaay less anxious tonight.

That's great that you feel less anxious. You seem to be in a more positive head space tonight which is great to see.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Fair play Scrim. Sod everything else and get the health sorted.. Wish I'd thought of it years ago. Proud of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

That's good to hear scrim. The exams were obviously causing huge stress for you and I'm glad thats eased a bit. Hopefully your mum was able to understand too.

Yeah my family are behind me 100%. Such a relief. It was definitely the right choice to not do the exam today. I'll take each next one as it comes, see if I'm up to it.

• Advertisement

Quiet in here for a change.Hopefully that's a good sign.Hope everyone is well today.

Yeah, I've been worse! Generally a good day today. Exception: Being told I've years of work ahead of me to really work through my issues. *Sigh* Looks like this is gonna be a long old haul!

Yeah, I've been worse! Generally a good day today. Exception: Being told I've years of work ahead of me to really work through my issues. *Sigh* Looks like this is gonna be a long old haul!

That must have been tough to hear. I have never been told how long it will take me but soon it will be a year and I am still a long way off. If it makes you feel better you are not alone. A fair few of us here are in a similar boat.

That must have been tough to hear. I have never been told how long it will take me but soon it will be a year and I am still a long way off. If it makes you feel better you are not alone. A fair few of us here are in a similar boat.

It's tough but it's also not. I've been beating myself up over not solving everything within a semester, so I guess it's actually helpful to hear that yeah, it'll take significantly longer. Not my fault, I have been trying, it just is what it is.

It's tough but it's also not. I've been beating myself up over not solving everything within a semester, so I guess it's actually helpful to hear that yeah, it'll take significantly longer. Not my fault, I have been trying, it just is what it is.

I get what you mean. My past behaviour has caused a lot of problems with maintaining friendships. I just can't do it. Now I look at the position I am in and see that I was really sick. I am still am to be fair but I also know that I couldn't help my past behaviour. We are our own worst critics.

• Advertisement

We are our own worst critics.

Definitely. I remember hearing something someone said way way back (can't place it at all), that people in general are very hard on themselves. They used the analogy of two friends, that if one fell down the stairs in the house they'd be cursing themselves and giving out to themselves for being an eejit for falling and causing a fuss. Whereas the other friend isn't going to be critical at all, they're just far more concerned for the welfare of their friend who's just fallen. And that's before you add any mental ill health into the picture...

It's resonating with me quite a lot over the last 24ish hours, because I didn't do the exam and despite the huge relief that brought, I was also a bit annoyed at myself for not sorting myself out on time for the exams and I was expecting my parents to also be annoyed about it. But actually when I told them I didn't do the exam they weren't even slightly annoyed, they were just really very concerned about me.

Guess it's one to store away for future reference for trying to work out if my reactions and self-judgements are overly harsh or warranted.

Definitely. I remember hearing something someone said way way back (can't place it at all), that people in general are very hard on themselves. They used the analogy of two friends, that if one fell down the stairs in the house they'd be cursing themselves and giving out to themselves for being an eejit for falling and causing a fuss. Whereas the other friend isn't going to be critical at all, they're just far more concerned for the welfare of their friend who's just fallen. And that's before you add any mental ill health into the picture...

It's resonating with me quite a lot over the last 24ish hours, because I didn't do the exam and despite the huge relief that brought, I was also a bit annoyed at myself for not sorting myself out on time for the exams and I was expecting my parents to also be annoyed about it. But actually when I told them I didn't do the exam they weren't even slightly annoyed, they were just really very concerned about me.

Guess it's one to store away for future reference for trying to work out if my reactions and self-judgements are overly harsh or warranted.

My parents were similar. I was fired from my job but I discussed with my manager if I showed improvement over the next few weeks would they reconsider. Hesitantly they agreed. My family pushed me to return to the job even though my doctor said no I shouldn't go back. My family then came around to it and I think they see now it was for the best. I am so glad I didn't return. It would of done me more damage than good. Then as a result I would of had more hurdles to overcome to get better. My doctor also give me other advice which I didn't follow and to this day I am suffering because of it. If I had been strong and focused solely on myself then I wouldn't have this extra hurdle to overcome. You learn that you have to do what is best for you.

I have called myself horrible things. Far worse than anything anyone else has called me (that I know of anyway). Mental health has impacted upon my mind more than I could ever have thought possible before. It is actually scary.

Just out of curiosity. Im wondering what age people are on here and how long they have been dealing with mental illness. Im 32 btw and have been suffering since mental issues i was 14.

I'm 26 and have had on and off issues since about 15 or so. I presume that's okay to count as the start point even though I sought no help until.. couple of years ago and then ran away from actually dealing with it...

I'm 26 and have had on and off issues since about 15 or so. I presume that's okay to count as the start point even though I sought no help until.. couple of years ago and then ran away from actually dealing with it...

Its ok to count when you started to feel out of kilter. I didnt seek help until i was in my early twenties even though it started much earlier for me, my anxiety was so bad i couldnt stay in the waiting room at the doctors office with all the people there so had to call to him out of hours.

I am 28 now. I can see that I changed a lot around 12/13. I think it was the beginning for me. I got really depressed and suicidal when I was 17/18. I didn't seek treatment until last year. It's sad to think how many years we spent suffering alone before we sought help.

Taking the first step and reaching out for help can take a lot of courage though, and it can take years to build up to that. Its like we are wishing that it will go away by itself but sadly it doesnt, and then we have to seek help

It really does take a lot of strength.

Yeah. I don't know if earlier intervention would have helped me tbh. I think I had to reach a point where I could see that something really was wrong and also be willing to work hard to try fix it. Thats just me though. For me that meant that the anxiety had to become intolerable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

I have not posted on this thread before. Felling pretty fcuked up this morning, I feel the need to burst into tears but I will not let myself go. Post drink crap. Do you guys drink? If so, how does it effect you?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,447 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

galljga1 wrote: »
    I have not posted on this thread before. Felling pretty fcuked up this morning, I feel the need to burst into tears but I will not let myself go. Post drink crap. Do you guys drink? If so, how does it effect you?

No very rarely drink myself

• Advertisement

galljga1 wrote: »

Welcome to the thread, It really depends on how much i drink, if i have two beers than it doesnt have much effect but if i drink a lot then the following day im in the depths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

mg1982 wrote: »
    Welcome to the thread, It really depends on how much i drink, if i have two beers than it doesnt have much effect but if i drink a lot then the following day im in the depths.

Yeah, that's where I am.

It can take up to a couple of weeks for me to recover after a big session so mostly I barely drink anymore. Have the very odd glass of wine.

I rarely drink anymore. In social situations it gives me more freedom as I can leave whenever I want as I can drive there. Also I am trying to get out of the habit of using alcohol to make me feel more relaxed in social situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

yea I barely drink, once every couple of months now coz that's how often I see other people. never got the buzz of drinking alone, seems like a swelling of energy for nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

yea I barely drink, once every couple of months now coz that's how often I see other people. never got the buzz of drinking alone, seems like a swelling of energy for nothing

That's essentially my situation too Jimmy. Never drink much either as I don't really care much for the taste of beer, wine etc.

I think I am spending far too much time online. Especially on boards. I enjoy spending time on this thread but I think I will start cutting down on everything else as I waste hours each and every day.

I think I am spending far too much time online. Especially on boards. I enjoy spending time on this thread but I think I will start cutting down on everything else as I waste hours each and every day.

I was thinking the same thing. I think I have an addictive or sort of obsessive personality Sometimes. Feeling very stressed the last few days. Just feel unable to cope with anything at this stage.

mg1982 wrote: »
    I was thinking the same thing. I think I have an addictive or sort of obsessive personality Sometimes. Feeling very stressed the last few days. Just feel unable to cope with anything at this stage.

I am similar. Constantly refreshing pages to see if there is a new post. Is there anything that helps relieve your stress?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,447 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I am similar. Constantly refreshing pages to see if there is a new post. Is there anything that helps relieve your stress?

+1

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement