Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

greenfrogs wrote: »
    I am similar. Constantly refreshing pages to see if there is a new post. Is there anything that helps relieve your stress?

Just went for a walk there now and did some yoga. Also took 5mg of diazepam so hopefully it helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

Well done. It's great that you did things to help such as going for a walk and yoga alongside taking the meds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭heyday30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Have started looking into mindfulness recently after hearing some good things about it. Have a change of medication too so hopefully that'll stop the mind jiggers.

I'm trying to kickstart more exercise, more for the relaxing effect rather than any fitness gains. I see yoga has also been mentioned. What do ye make of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I know ye weren't askin me and I only did it regularly for a short period (I descended into my current chasm) but while doing it it was great. I was doing one set of exercises meant for arthritis people to help joints. One thing I thougth about when doing one exercise, curling and straightening the toes, was just how little control over my feet I have. I could barely manipulate them, very humbling to experience.

But the thing about the feet is that they are literally the foundation of your whole posture (unless you're sitting down). If you can even release tension in the feet and ankles you'll notice such a difference to the rest of your body.

I did stuff in my room, so didn't go too mental with it, but that was easier for me to get into it, if I had to wait to go to a class I'd never have even tried it.

I would recommend, I am trying to muster some form of self-discipline myself and hopefully will resume soon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

I found yoga great for relaxation. If I ever got stressed at work and had the office to myself I'd do a couple of sequences and it really did work to calm me down.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Mindfulness is core to the dbt course i'm on.. Two or three years ago i hated the word, seeing it as a money grabbing fad like a lot of other things, but luckily i have changed my mind about it since.

Have started looking into mindfulness recently after hearing some good things about it. Have a change of medication too so hopefully that'll stop the mind jiggers.

I'm trying to kickstart more exercise, more for the relaxing effect rather than any fitness gains. I see yoga has also been mentioned. What do ye make of it?

I'd love to try yoga supposed tu be great no classes in my area though.

Mindfullness is good. Learned about it as part of cbt training. it's something once learned and understood you keep using it in every day life. Look into it for sure. Great for overthinkers and anxiety in general.

heydey how has adding new foods to your diet been working out? I suppose it' be a couple of months before significant changes but pretty readily ye should feel a bit more energy (if the negativity doesnt sap it all)

heydey how has adding new foods to your diet been working out? I suppose it' be a couple of months before significant changes but pretty readily ye should feel a bit more energy (if the negativity doesnt sap it all)

Really good Jimmy. Although My mood this week is pretty poor( kinda know why) overall I've found I'm slowly feeling the effects on my body. I've a decreased appetite and I'm more aware of what I'm eating.

Fell off the wagon once but cest la vie...

Have blood tests next fortnight be interesting to see any improvement.

• Advertisement

Gremlin, from doing it regularly, did you get to a point where it 'clicked'? I don't mean that you got any incredible tangible feeling, but like a point where mentally you were like 'oh like this, i get it'

heyday30 wrote: »
    Really good Jimmy. Although My mood this week is pretty poor( kinda know why) overall I've found I'm slowly feeling the effects on my body. I've a decreased appetite and I'm more aware of what I'm eating.

Fell off the wagon once but cest la vie...

Have blood tests next fortnight be interesting to see any improvement.

Don't even think of it as falling off the wagon. Overall your body's getting so much more nutrients and your increasing its capacity to function. well done, it's a big change to even attempt is half the battle (if not all)

I'd love to try yoga supposed tu be great no classes in my area though.

Mindfullness is good. Learned about it as part of cbt training. it's something once learned and understood you keep using it in every day life. Look into it for sure. Great for overthinkers and anxiety in general.

What exactly is mindfulness? It seems like the buzz word at the moment.

What exactly is mindfulness? It seems like the buzz word at the moment.

Mindfulness well it's like teaching your brain how to work /think In a nutshell. It's about keeping your mind present in the now and not letting your mind wonder to intrusive or negative thoughts. It sounds a bit far fetched but it works.

I'll give you an example. I used constantly go around thinking ' I'm fat, ugly, useless'. These thoughts were constantly in my mind I'd be unaware at some stages I'd be mumbling this to myself all the time. But mindfulness thought me to stop n take awareness of these thoughts and counteract them straight away with something positive. I hope that makes sense.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Gremlin, from doing it regularly, did you get to a point where it 'clicked'? I don't mean that you got any incredible tangible feeling, but like a point where mentally you were like 'oh like this, i get it'

I'm only at it a short while yet and I'm finding it theoretically useful but the practice is taking it's time coming together.. However yes there's improvemt with the practice.. I just need to keep at it even though my patience levels are low.

It's very hard to work at something difficult when you're already at a low ebb. Kinda takes energy that isn't really there in the first place. Little by little though, I'm sure we can all get there eventually.

I'm only at it a short while yet and I'm finding it theoretically useful but the practice is taking it's time coming together.. However yes there's improvemt with the practice.. I just need to keep at it even though my patience levels are low.

My way into it before was through really short times. Like start at maybe 2 minutes then 5 and stuff to work my up. will probably do that if/when i try again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

Didn't get into the course I had my heart set on, feeling totally deflated. It was like my ticket out of this area and was hoping things might start looking up

GeneralC wrote: »
    Didn't get into the course I had my heart set on, feeling totally deflated. It was like my ticket out of this area and was hoping things might start looking up

Very sorry to hear that general

Very sorry to hear that general

Thanks heyday.

It's like I never get a bit of luck, ever. For once, I would love for things to go right for me, just once.

• Advertisement

That's a kick in the teeth. Have you other options?

That's a kick in the teeth. Have you other options?

Back to the Masters I deferred from last year. I deferred because it was so intense that it drove me to having panic attacks in college, which I was taken by ambulance at one point.

Hopefully it won't be as bad this time around for you. Have you been in touch with student services in your college?

Back to the Masters I deferred from last year. I deferred because it was so intense that it drove me to having panic attacks in college, which I was taken by ambulance at one point.

Do you what to actually do this masters?

Do you what to actually do this masters?

No, but I've committed 7k to it, so I feel financially obliged to finish it. I tried to get some form of refund based on medical grounds, but no luck.

Considering I have a heart condition, and I was taken by ambulance from the uni because of an anxiety attack, I was hoping they would have gave some form of refund.

That sort of thing is so disheartening, was only discussing how companies can be so dismissive of mental health issues.. Health insurance for the most part won't help unless you're an inpatient. It's a tough place for you to be..

Had a pretty serious mood crash myself over the last few hours. It's that overwhelming loneliness and defeated feeling I get every so often. Knew it was coming as I was on a bit of a high the last day or two.

That sort of thing is so disheartening, was only discussing how companies can be so dismissive of mental health issues.. Health insurance for the most part won't help unless you're an inpatient. It's a tough place for you to be..

Had a pretty serious mood crash myself over the last few hours. It's that overwhelming loneliness and defeated feeling I get every so often. Knew it was coming as I was on a bit of a high the last day or two.

The issue is a joke, but there is very little I can do.

Is this mood crash the reason why you're awake at 5.30am? Has anything happened in the last day or two to cause this crash?

The issue is a joke, but there is very little I can do.

Is this mood crash the reason why you're awake at 5.30am? Has anything happened in the last day or two to cause this crash?

It is indeed a joke.. It makes it difficult to believe in any good happening.

I'm at work,I do nights.. The crash is not too surprising though the severity is a bit hard to bear..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Hope things are better there now Grem.

• Advertisement

And here we go again. Trying to sit next week's exams. Freaking out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement