Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

GeneralC wrote: »
    No, but I've committed 7k to it, so I feel financially obliged to finish it. I tried to get some form of refund based on medical grounds, but no luck.

Considering I have a heart condition, and I was taken by ambulance from the uni because of an anxiety attack, I was hoping they would have gave some form of refund.

Absolutely ridiculous. As if you didn't have enough on your plate.
    That sort of thing is so disheartening, was only discussing how companies can be so dismissive of mental health issues.. Health insurance for the most part won't help unless you're an inpatient. It's a tough place for you to be..

Had a pretty serious mood crash myself over the last few hours. It's that overwhelming loneliness and defeated feeling I get every so often. Knew it was coming as I was on a bit of a high the last day or two.

Yah I have very basic health insurance but it provides very little for outpatient mental health care. It's crazy. However maybe if it did then health insurance premiums would increase. I think if you don't have a medical card or the best health insurance then you lose out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

greenfrogs wrote: »
    Absolutely ridiculous. As if you didn't have enough on your plate.

Yah I have very basic health insurance but it provides very little for outpatient mental health care. It's crazy. However maybe if it did then health insurance premiums would increase. I think if you don't have a medical card or the best health insurance then you lose out.

Tell me about it. I hope I can last the full year this time. I would have lost a few quid, but I am losing 7k for the 3 weeks education I received

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

Tell me about it. I hope I can last the full year this time. I would have lost a few quid, but I am losing 7k for the 3 weeks education I received

Is there a part time option available? I wonder if it would help to talk to the programme head?

Have you tried every avenue to see if you can get the money back. A doctor's note, appealed to the manager or higher in the fees office or tried a local td.

Have you tried every avenue to see if you can get the money back. A doctor's note, appealed to the manager or higher in the fees office or tried a local td.

Yup! Two letters from a cardiologist and psychologist. The TD was brutal. I would love to picket outside the uni because I am not mentally fit to do a Masters in Sept, yet if I don't do it in Sept, I will lose the full 7k!

• Advertisement

Is there a part time option available? I wonder if it would help to talk to the programme head?

I asked about this in first semester last year and the course head said that option is only available to athletes training for the Olympics or GAA county players - what a fantastic uni/system!

This is one of Ireland's top universities!

Yup! Two letters from a cardiologist and psychologist. The TD was brutal. I would love to picket outside the uni because I am not mentally fit to do a Masters in Sept, yet if I don't do it in Sept, I will lose the full 7k!

How about Joe Duffy?? :pac:

You really have tried. That college should be ashamed of themselves.

How about Joe Duffy?? :pac:

You really have tried. That college should be ashamed of themselves.

The media is an avenue I am considering!

Just for the record, half of the money is actually a disability grant given by the government because of my heart condition. All I want is the money to go back so I can study again down the road in 2/3 years time, not Sept!

The media is an avenue I am considering!

Just for the record, half of the money is actually a disability grant given by the government because of my heart condition. All I want is the money to go back so I can study again down the road in 2/3 years time, not Sept!

I think that is actually worse. The college are well aware of your health problems yet have refused to accommodate you in the tiniest little bit.

Tell them that you can't train for the Olympics or be a Gaa player because you have a heart condition. That is discrimination. Everyone should be allowed on the part-time course if there is one available.

I think do get the media involved. The college are not only wasting your money but the Government's also.

I think that is actually worse. The college are well aware of your health problems yet have refused to accommodate you in the tiniest little bit.

Tell them that you can't train for the Olympics or be a Gaa player because you have a heart condition. That is discrimination. Everyone should be allowed on the part-time course if there is one available.

I think do get the media involved. The college are not only wasting your money but the Government's also.

The part-time isn't advertised as such, but it is available because a few lads in the course were taking it over 2 years due to sport commitment.

I only lasted three weeks, then I was taken by ambulance from the uni because I had a full blown panic attack, however at the time we thought it was my heart.

Like I said, it's not like I want the money back and put into my bank account, I just want put into some form of account so I can use it again in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

I'm assuming that there is a disability office in the college GeneralC - could you try get in contact with them and see if they can support you? I've always found them super helpful in my case. Id get on to the president of the college as well, the college has to be more understanding. Maybe you could get the Irish Heart Foundation or USI involved to advocate for you as well? Best of luck.

I'm assuming that there is a disability office in the college GeneralC - could you try get in contact with them and see if they can support you? I've always found them super helpful in my case. Id get on to the president of the college as well, the college has to be more understanding. Maybe you could get the Irish Heart Foundation or USI involved to advocate for you as well? Best of luck.

The disability office have no real power over finances. The president could be a good man to have a chat with. I really feel all avenues have been explored, apart from going to the media.

Surely a university factors in for special circumstances like this?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Still crushed under the weight of my mood..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

GC, I hope this gets sorted out for you there soon.

Grem, hope this passes for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Dr.Alucard

Surely a university factors in for special circumstances like this?

Hi GC, i hop in and out of this thread from time to time, i suffer from from anxiety and gets bouts of downs and ups, but thats besides the point.
    Two years ago i was due to start a level 8 course in a college, I attended for 3 days and that was all i could manage due to be overwhelmed by anxiety and some circumstances which really affected my mood. I couldnt attend college after that because i just couldnt face it, i was crippled by my anxiety and couldnt leave the house after that and couldnt attend college. My only choice after that was to defer my course for another year but it was coming late to withdraw from the course because i left it for so long to notify them. I applied for a deferal from the course along with a letter from my doctor pretty much saying i suffer from severe anxiety and cant possibly attend, and a letter from my psych confirming the doctors diagnoses. On top of that i went to see the college councellor and explained my situation to them. I was then granted a deferal for a year. So colleges do and should account for special circumstances, i was doing a level 8, i dont see why it should be different for someone doing a masters?. Anyways it actually took me two years to get get somewhat better (im not 100% yet but somewhere around 80) But im just finishing first year now and doing exams next week! So dont give Up! keep trying to get it sorted. Its a bit ridiculous that the college is refusing budge even before you attend in september. Try talking to the college councellors they might have some pull in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭mocha please!

Anyone here ever been prescribed with Sertil?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

I was on it for a year but I was on lustral which is the branded version of sertraline. 150mg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭heyday30

Hi all hope you are all doing ok this weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

heyday30 wrote: »
    Hi all hope you are all doing ok this weekend.

Hey there heyday

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Bad form caused insomnia which means I'm struggling to work aswell as battling unseen demons..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 spudger1

mg1982 wrote: »
    I was on it for a year but I was on lustral which is the branded version of sertraline. 150mg.

On 100 per day at the moment.

Bad form caused insomnia which means I'm struggling to work aswell as battling unseen demons..

Sounds tough Gremlinertia. Are you working tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

Sorry to hear... Hope you come through this soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭heyday30

That's sh*te grem. Can you get something to help you sleep. Maybe take a day or two off to try rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 spudger1

I hope everyone is having an at least ok weekend, but for those of you who aren't, i hope things take an upswing soon.

I should sleep after work I hope.. Vicious cycle of being awake to exhaustion which drains any energy to try change my mood which is exhausting in itself etc etc...

I should sleep after work I hope.. Vicious cycle of being awake to exhaustion which drains any energy to try change my mood which is exhausting in itself etc etc...

Fingers crossed that you'll be able to sleep after work. I don't know how you manage to balance work, dbt and everything else going on in your life. You are a very strong person.

Ah I'm just very routine driven so work means I actually leave the couch now and again.

Ah I'm just very routine driven so work means I actually leave the couch now and again.

I couldn't do it so fair play. You should give yourself more credit.

• Advertisement

I couldn't do it so fair play. You should give yourself more credit.

Funny enough my biggest stumbling block currently is self-criticism, it's a long road and all that platitude lark..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement