Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭Joya

Realistically I need 530 for Biomedical Science. Would it be okay if I talked to one of my teachers about the depression :confused:
    Hi is mise, I went through that and can just tell ya that talk with professors is actually an excellent idea. It was very hard for me but my counselor advised me that and encouraged me to do so. I can only say that I was so very pleasantly surprised with all the help and support I got from professors.. Even on my exam few days ago one of professors came to ask me how I am. It was so touching I have to say.
    good luck with it all... But don't be afraid to speak up...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭is mise spartacus

Joya wrote: »
    But don't be afraid to speak up...

Easier said than done I'm afraid but I'll try

Easier said than done I'm afraid but I'll try
    i know.. i was feeling embarrassed and all that but i can tell you that i really got support from professors.. i talked actually with my course directors both in ucd and in trinity, and also with one professor in trinity.. i am glad i did.
    which college are you in if i may ask

i know.. i was feeling embarrassed and all that but i can tell you that i really got support from professors.. i talked actually with my course directors both in ucd and in trinity, and also with one professor in trinity.. i am glad i did.
    which college are you in if i may ask

Oh I'm not in college yet, I'm in 6th year. Embarrassment keeps me from talking to people about this

Oh I'm not in college yet, I'm in 6th year. Embarrassment keeps me from talking to people about this

oh okay, well anyway not a big difference in the situation :)

what i got from support was not just a human to human conversation that meant a lot to me, but two times they allowed me to submit my assignments a week later than it was due. i was going through very hard period and i really know what it means that some days i was unable to get up from the bed. even to have a shower or eat, let alone to think of the task..
    ucd even has a policy to take medical situation of student during examination period into consideration when marking the exams.. trinity does not have that tough.. not sure how is in secondary schools but yes, talking with your counselor would be perhaps good to find out if there are some means that could help you..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

oh okay, well anyway not a big difference in the situation :)

what i got from support was not just a human to human conversation that meant a lot to me, but two times they allowed me to submit my assignments a week later than it was due. i was going through very hard period and i really know what it means that some days i was unable to get up from the bed. even to have a shower or eat, let alone to think of the task..
    ucd even has a policy to take medical situation of student during examination period into consideration when marking the exams.. trinity does not have that tough.. not sure how is in secondary schools but yes, talking with your counselor would be perhaps good to find out if there are some means that could help you..

I can't agree with you enough on this.. I always wonder what my life would be like if I spoke to someone earlier.

btw sorry to hear that you suffer from depression being so young..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I'm only 21 myself:

yes, my counsellor told me that i was depressed from my childhood and that sounded strange at first but it is actually true.. when i see my photos from when i was between say 13 to 20, 21 i think it was the worst period.. i was so unhappy.. if i reached for some help then maybe i would not be here where i am now.. but then, its never too late..
    please do talk with people who know how to help..

btw sorry to hear that you suffer from depression being so young..

I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety a couple of months ago. After suffering in silence for 3 years...

• Advertisement

i am not from ireland so i presume only that 6th grade is about 12, 13 years old is it?

anyway what helped me then is to write a diary.. i also wrote poetry and yes it was not a light one but i had to express it somehow..

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

6th year is the final year of second level, so 17 /18 / 19 years old at the end of that year of school.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    6th year is the final year of second level, so 17 /18 / 19 years old at the end of that year of school.

aw okay thanks :)

well still young and very vulnerable years of life..

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

Roquentin wrote: »
    i highly suspect i have that too......

If you have any questions or anything feel free to ask

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Glad the Let's all laugh thread needs posts to be moderator-approved for a while.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Esel wrote: »
    Glad the Let's all laugh thread needs posts to be moderator-approved for a while.

Was never a fan of that thread I must say. I started off in this one and am happy enough with here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭CZ 453

shezer wrote: »

it looks to me as a graph of how citalopram had an efect on me.. in first two months i felt so good, all urges and lows were gone.. so i was shocked when i was under highest dose but started experience urges and anxiety attacks again i thought id never feel that again while on meds..

it looks to me as a graph of how citalopram had an efect on me.. in first two months i felt so good, all urges and lows were gone.. so i was shocked when i was under highest dose but started experience urges and anxiety attacks again i thought id never feel that again while on meds..

Did you suffer from any memory blocks while experiencing higher anxiety?

yes it was very hard to concentrate unfortunately it was just during the exam period so i had to give up on all exams except one, cause i had troubles with memorizing things or even concentrating to study.. id try and almost immediately would go to panic attack.. it was terrible period...

• Advertisement

i had to tell myself that it is okay if i cannot do it, and to do as much as i can no matter how little it is.. to be gentle to myself and to accept my condition instead of fighting it.. and also to say to take one step at the time, and that it is okay..
    one day at the time, one hour one minute or whatever i can at the moment..

i had to tell myself that it is okay if i cannot do it, and to do as much as i can no matter how little it is.. to be gentle to myself and to accept my condition instead of fighting it.. and also to say to take one step at the time, and that it is okay..

What were you diagnosed with? GAD?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

al-inspiring-quote-on-acceptance-as-first-step-for-change.png

What were you diagnosed with? GAD?

aw.. severe depression and anxiety disorder w panic attacks.. but depression as the longest one.. why

(among other things lol)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

i honestly believe that accepting who you are is the first step in living a happier life. You can only be who you are and one cant be what they are not. A person must know his limitations, and once you know what you cant do in life, you can look at what you can do.

Very few people grasp this concept. Too often we are led down a certain route by the powers that be, because that is what we are led to believe is the correct route. It might be the right route, but then again it may not be. But one must listen to their own voice and follow their own heart. And if you do that you can look back in thirty years time and say at least i did what i thought was the right thing at the time. You have to be happy in what you do. Like you say, you must find and accept your limitations and work from there...

I'm trying to compare and contrast to get a handle on my own situation.Thanks for being open.

yes to be fully honest i also have developed a bulimia / binge eating disorder.. that i am still fighting with on a daily bases.. but i treat it just as a side effect...

yes to be fully honest i also have developed a bulimia / binge eating disorder.. that i am still fighting with on a daily bases.. but i treat it just as a side effect...

Did that start after a while or have you had that from when you realized you had the anxiety?

Did that start after a while or have you had that from when you realized you had the anxiety?

well my cousellor say that i probably developed it in my early teens..
    and i didn't like when she said that i will be fighting it for the rest of my life... but that's what she said..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

well my cousellor say that i probably developed it in my early teens..
    and i didn't like when she said that i will be fighting it for the rest of my life... but that's what she said..

I've kinda accepted that I'll have this for the rest of my life. Same with regards to taking medication too.

My own diagnosis is clinical depression with anxiety as a major symptom. I'm convinced that I've something else though due to other issues I'm also having.

I got my first whack of this when I was 18 but looking back on my life I now believe that I've always had it: I was constantly in fear and constantly sad throughout my childhood and teenage years despite having a great upbringing and circumstances.

• Advertisement

she was a good counsellor, helped me lots.. only way i can understand that is perhaps she didn't want to lie to me... give me some false hopes..

but i still would like to believe i'll get a grip on all of this...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement