Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Have to admit, I'm really quite upset by my so-called friends. I've basically disappeared off the face of the planet when I'm supposed to be sitting exams and have only had contact with one - initiated by me when I wished her good luck in the exams. WTF like?

Do your friends know you suffer with your mental health? Sometimes people don't want to know if they think your mentally unwell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

Have to admit, I'm really quite upset by my so-called friends. I've basically disappeared off the face of the planet when I'm supposed to be sitting exams and have only had contact with one - initiated by me when I wished her good luck in the exams. WTF like?

Are they still doing exams? Maybe give it a few days if they are. Or you could initiate contact and arrange to meet up if you feel like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

greenfrogs wrote: »
    Are they still doing exams? Maybe give it a few days if they are. Or you could initiate contact and arrange to meet up if you feel like it.

Yeah good point. Still, taking five minutes to say hi on Facebook wouldn't have killed them. Will see what happens when the exams finish. They are aware of why I'm not sitting them so it's possible they just don't want to ask.

Yeah good point. Still, taking five minutes to say hi on Facebook wouldn't have killed them. Will see what happens when the exams finish. They are aware of why I'm not sitting them so it's possible they just don't want to ask.

Yah some people get awkward when I mention my mental health issues. I think they just don't know what to say and also they don't understand it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,517 ✭✭✭addicted to caffeine

going through a bout of depression at the moment :( I'm so tired, everything is a huge effort

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

going through a bout of depression at the moment :( I'm so tired, everything is a huge effort

*hugs*

You deserve better ATC.

So sorry to hear that. Is there anything in particular up tonight that you would like to talk about or is it 'just' everything?

*hugs*

You deserve better ATC.
    So sorry to hear that. Is there anything in particular up tonight that you would like to talk about or is it 'just' everything?

thanks guys

nothing in particular up tonight but just everything really, I've been through a lot in the last three months but it's taking it's toll on me.

thanks guys

nothing in particular up tonight but just everything really, I've been through a lot in the last three months but it's taking it's toll on me.

I'm sorry things have been so hard. Do you get any proper R&R?

I'm sorry things have been so hard. Do you get any proper R&R?

I'm in college 9am to half 3 5 days a week but I get the evenings off and the weekends as well. I try and rest as much as I can during that time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

My bad mood swings are back again. Been really depressed a lot the last week, staying in bed all day etc. Wanting to die. And then it's joined by a hyper mood when I'm speaking 100 miles a minute and acting crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

x

Hugo *doffs cap*

My bad mood swings are back again. Been really depressed a lot the last week, staying in bed all day etc. Wanting to die. And then it's joined by a hyper mood when I'm speaking 100 miles a minute and acting crazy.

That sounds awful. When your moods are swinging one way then the next its hard to deal with. When do you get to see your doctor next?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭heyday30

Know how you feel atc. Hope it passes soon

heyday30 wrote: »
    Know how you feel atc. Hope it passes soon

thanks heyday :) hope so too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

mg1982 wrote:
    That sounds awful. When your moods are swinging one way then the next its hard to deal with. When do you get to see your doctor next?

I'm not sure. Going to ring my CPN in the morning for a chat and see what she says.

It's so annoying. It seems like once I get a little bit back on track, I end up going all over the place again. I know rapid mood swings are a hallmark of BPD, but it's so effing exhausting.

I'm not sure. Going to ring my CPN in the morning for a chat and see what she says.

It's so annoying. It seems like once I get a little bit back on track, I end up going all over the place again. I know rapid mood swings are a hallmark of BPD, but it's so effing exhausting.

Have you ever done dbt?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 marklynch065

Hi guys. I've suffered from social anxiety for several years now. I was bullied extensively throughout school and I know it comes from that.
    Anyhow I'm just looking for advice on a matter.

I graduated from college last year and got my degree as a social worker. I enjoyed Uni and it really gave me an opportunity to work on my confidence and meet new people however I was the only guy in my class.
    I found in 3rd year my anxiety kicked in again. I found my class mates were each establishing their own individual cliques and I was being left out. I always made a point of being polite and friendly to everyone, and while I did establish some friendships I still felt like a bit of an outsider.
    Anyhow to cut a long story short I was out for a stroll yesterday and I passed by an ex boyfriend of one of my classmates. Upon approaching him I could over hear him say to his mate "ya everyone was afraid of him" whilst they both looked at me laughing.
    Instantly my anxiety kicked in and I started thinking the worst. I thought oh no what if he was referring to my classmates being afraid of me! Anyhow does it sound like I'm overreacting? I know deep down this is just my social anxiety talking but my self esteem is quite low so I just assume the worst. I have started CBT for my anxiety and I'm determined to overcome it.
    Any advice is hugely appreciated! Thank you

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

Hi guys. I've suffered from social anxiety for several years now. I was bullied extensively throughout school and I know it comes from that.

I graduated from college last year and got my degree as a social worker. I enjoyed Uni and it really gave me an opportunity to work on my confidence and meet new people however I was the only guy in my class.
    I found in 3rd year my anxiety kicked in again. I found my class mates were each establishing their own individual cliques and I was being left out. I always made a point of being polite and friendly to everyone, and while I did establish some friendships I still felt like a bit of an outsider.
    Anyhow to cut a long story short I was out for a stroll yesterday and I passed by an ex boyfriend of one of my classmates. Upon approaching him I could over hear him say to his mate "ya everyone was afraid of him" whilst they both looked at me laughing.
    Instantly my anxiety kicked in and I started thinking the worst. I thought oh no what if he was referring to my classmates being afraid of me! Anyhow does it sound like I'm overreacting? I know deep down this is just my social anxiety talking but my self esteem is quite low so I just assume the worst. I have started CBT for my anxiety and I'm determined to overcome it.

everyone talks about everyone in life. if one walks into a room full of people they will invariably label you. thats life. i wouldnt worry too much about them to be honest

Well done on getting through Uni with social anxiety that was a big achievment in itself. What you describe there is something that often happens to me, thinking that people are talking about me or saying bad stuff. Of course 9 times out of 10 they arent but still the paranoia is always there. So your not alone man and yes it is the anxiety/paranoia.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭Joya

just have to vent there again don't know where else to write.. the anxiety is hitting me so strong that i cannot focus on doing anything even i have a final diploma project to submit in 2 days and i haven't even started it.. no clue what am i doing and how is this possible but i just cannot study at all.. even start..
    my flatmates also very difficult an causing me extra anxiety, unbelievable person has no sense for other human being..
    i think that my depression is hitting me hard and i have no time to deal with it so it just grows...

Joya wrote: »
    just have to vent there again don't know where else to write.. the anxiety is hitting me so strong that i cannot focus on doing anything even i have a final diploma project to submit in 2 days and i haven't even started it.. no clue what am i doing and how is this possible but i just cannot study at all.. even start..
    my flatmates also very difficult an causing me extra anxiety, unbelievable person has no sense for other human being..
    i think that my depression is hitting me hard and i have no time to deal with it so it just grows...

*hugs* So sorry to hear this Joya.

That is a lot of stress to be under there.

You're doing the best thing by recognising that this is a problem for you and venting about it here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭Joya

thank you hugo..

Hi guys, still hanging in there, last night was tough, my thoughts went a scary way but I made it. Didn't have a great day in college today as was stressful, several misunderstandings and things going wrong, on top of 2 hours sleep:o

Kinda feel like I'm going through days with a sense of pain inside of me (to do with a recent break up) I have 3 days off and all I want to do sleep and talk to no one, but everyone is asking if I'm ok

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Misjudged my schedule for the medication and I won't be able get a refill until atleast Monday..

Will I be ok going cold turkey? lexapro 10mg I was on..

carzony wrote: »
    Misjudged my schedule for the medication and I won't be able get a refill until atleast Monday..

The same happened me a while back. I remember feeling a little bit down. But nothing major. Hard to tell if it was the no meds or just a natural slump.

carzony wrote: »

You should be fine Carzony. Try not to think about it too much.

Have you much on over the weekend there?

Hi guys, still hanging in there, last night was tough, my thoughts went a scary way but I made it. Didn't have a great day in college today as was stressful, several misunderstandings and things going wrong, on top of 2 hours sleep:o

Kinda feel like I'm going through days with a sense of pain inside of me (to do with a recent break up) I have 3 days off and all I want to do sleep and talk to no one, but everyone is asking if I'm ok

Sounds like your going through a tough spell there. Hope things get better soon. Break ups are hard to deal with im sure. Not that i know much about them. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

You should be fine Carzony. Try not to think about it too much.

Have you much on over the weekend there?

I've been off college for the past 5 weeks and have done nothing, so no lol.. I like having a bit of time off.. I feel like I need it..

I might even stay off the meds altogether then.. I don't feel they are doing anything for me anyway.... :)

• Advertisement

Were you sick or did you just need the time off?
    Considering you were on the lexapro a few months now i wouldnt come off it cold turkey. Even if you were to split the pill in half and take 5mg for a week or so it will make the withdrawals easier.
    There are lots of other meds you can try if you want to go down that road.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement