Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

Is there evidence that poor diet and lack of exercise cause mental health issues. I know they have some benefits but I don't think diet and exercise are key in mental health issues. Unless your lifestyle is impacting on your physical health.

I hate traditional therapy. Where you talk about your past and the present. It has done nothing for me. In fact with a previous psychotherapist there were times I was so mad that I wanted to storm out of her office. That has never happened with my current therapist. Sometimes we just don't gel with counselors or with their methods of treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

greenfrogs wrote: »
    Is there evidence that poor diet and lack of exercise cause mental health issues. I know they have some benefits but I don't think diet and exercise are key in mental health issues. Unless your lifestyle is impacting on your physical health.

I hate traditional therapy. Where you talk about your past and the present. It has done nothing for me. In fact with a previous psychotherapist there were times I was so mad that I wanted to storm out of her office. That has never happened with my current therapist. Sometimes we just don't gel with counselors or with their methods of treatment.

My councellor insisted i changed my lifestyle and until then he couldnt pin point my problems. He straight away moved on to breathing techniques.. I felt like a fookin fool.

So far he has no concrete answers for me and no solutions either.

Actually now that I think about it my counselor focused on getting me into a good daily routine at first. It took weeks and weeks. If you managed that by yourself then fair play.

I still have a bad sleeping routine. Exams through me out of my routine as I prefer to study at night time. However now I don't feel down if I get up late. I get slightly annoyed but accept it and carry on with my daily routine.

Counselors don't have concrete answers or solutions. They should work with you to help make your daily life easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

carzony wrote: »
    I've been to 3 sessions so far and in the first session we established that my problems may stem from my lifestyle. Bad diet, bad sleeping pattern and lack of exercise.

That seems to be a common go to point for a lot of them. I've gotten that a lot too.

For myself though, it could very well be the case but only as contributing factors, not the whole hog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

All of my friends are just over the moon right now, and so happy with the referendum result. I feel nothing. Like I should really be feeling something seeing as the result means I'm now a more equal citizen. But I just feel dead inside.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

theres only so much counselors can do. they can point you in the right direction, but at the end of day you must walk.

All of my friends are just over the moon right now, and so happy with the referendum result. I feel nothing. Like I should really be feeling something seeing as the result means I'm now a more equal citizen. But I just feel dead inside.

Unfortunately this is the way with depression. You don't find happiness in things that normally would make you feel good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

I feel nothing. Like I should really be feeling something seeing as the result means I'm now a more equal citizen. But I just feel dead inside.

It's okay to not feel anything. Sometimes we expect to feel more than we do and it's then weird when anything other than what we expect happens. It does happen to a lot of people. Plus unless you were planning to get married immediately it doesn't actually have an immediate tangible effect on your life. It's more abstract so don't beat yourself up for not feeling as intensely as you think you should. It's a good thing, but that doesn't mean you have to dance down the street :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

that is a common complaint of those in the schizoid group of PDs

Roquentin wrote: »
    theres only so much counselors can do. they can point you in the right direction, but at the end of day you must walk.

Same can be said for medication too. It seems that even with both, you're kinda left in the lurch to just deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

I suppose meds are only there to deal with the symptoms but there not a cure. Wouldnt it be great if one day scientists could pinpoint exactly what causes mental illnesses and to be able to say if you take x y z it will cure it. Wishful thinking i know.

Also today John Nash was killed in a car accident age 86. If any of you saw the film A Beautiful Mind it was about his life coping with schizophrenia. He was a brilliant mathematician but most of his life he was unable to practice because of his disorder. RIP John.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭heyday30

Hope everyone is doing ok here guys.

heyday30 wrote: »
    Hope everyone is doing ok here guys.

Not too bad H. Hope you had a nice Sunday there.

mg1982 wrote: »
    Not too bad H. Hope you had a nice Sunday there.

Not too bad here mg. Stress free enough weekend thanks.

Positive thoughts for the week ahead all! :)

Positive thoughts for the week ahead all! :)

Im planning on winning the euromillions anyway so not setting the bar too high.

Im planning on winning the euromillions anyway so not setting the bar too high.

I'm planning on that too. Wanna split it?

Ah go on then seeing as its yourself. 50million each should get us by. :D

You're a true gent! :D

Ahem.... Don't forgets me :(

• Advertisement

You're a true gent! :D

Wouldnt know what to do with 100 million anyway. :D

Wouldnt know what to do with 100 million anyway. :D

I'm sure we'd figure out how to spend it between us! :D

heyday30 wrote: »
    Ahem.... Don't forgets me :(

We wouldnt forget about you H. :)

Sleep hygiene is hard. I'm parched for a cup of tea. Getting really angry about it actually!

Also realized that I hadn't planned to still be here. I was going to wait until the referendum result so I'd know whether I was leaving a better or worse country. Still here. Huh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

Wouldn't mind getting in on that euromillions also :p

Still feeling ****ty. Seeing the psych on Tuesday. Had good support from the nurse over the weekend, which was really important I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057436249

if anyone can help me with my problem, that would be great! I really don't know where to go with this! I feel I am treated unfairly because I am ill.

GeneralC wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057436249

if anyone can help me with my problem, that would be great! I really don't know where to go with this! I feel I am treated unfairly because I am ill.

Did you speak to the dept that gave you this grant?

Looking for a job is depressing. Looking for a job when I seem to be crap at everything I try is even more depressing. All I can do is apply for jobs in retail and as a waitress. Though I dont think it is a good idea when I still have social anxiety. And I think I will be rubbish at them anyway. I wish I could be good at one thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

Did you speak to the dept that gave you this grant?

Looking for a job is depressing. Looking for a job when I seem to be crap at everything I try is even more depressing.

Hi. Yes, explored all avenues.

I know the feeling my friend :(

My last manager told me I was terrible at my job and was shocked when I said I wanted to still work in this area. He was constantly rude to me while I worked there. On fb when his partner had just had a baby, he put up a photo with her having a t shirt with the company logo on it and the newborn baby. Kinda sad actually. Still I hope he goes bankrupt someday. I am still quite bitter. It annoys me to have been treated badly.

• Advertisement

My last manager told me I was terrible at my job and was shocked when I said I wanted to still work in this area. He was constantly rude to me while I worked there. On fb when his partner had just had a baby, he put up a photo with her having a t shirt with the company logo on it and the newborn baby. Kinda sad actually. Still I hope he goes bankrupt someday. I am still quite bitter. It annoys me to have been treated badly.

My PhD supervisor treated me like ****, like absolute crap. Bullied me, ridiculed me, treated me like a pile of SH!TE. He stole my PhD from me, in effect. He took 3 years of my life away and has left a lot of psychological damage. I really do feel where you're coming from. I hope he rots in hell. I hope his house goes on fire and he loses everything (other than lives!!!) I wish no end of badness on him, because he's one of life's bad people and what he's done to me he did to dozens of students before me and continues to do to students. There are very few people who I would categorize as bad, but he is one of them.

You're right to be annoyed to have been treated so badly. It shows you have some self-esteem left after it! You shouldn't have been treated so badly. I wouldn't put any weight on what he said about you staying in the same area, he obviously just got his kicks from bullying people and you were the target of the day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement