Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

Joya wrote: »
    well my cousellor say that i probably developed it in my early teens..
    and i didn't like when she said that i will be fighting it for the rest of my life... but that's what she said..

chronic anxiety is generally thought of as a disorder and disorders can generally be rectified through habitual changes in livestyle. however some psychologists, particularly in america would classify anxiety as a disease of the mind and i would agree. You would often hear such psychologists label ocd a disease rather than an anxiety disorder.

If you had cancer lets say, it means the body is producing too many cells that are out of control. Now in this stream of thought, if you have ocd or gad, the mind which can be thought of as an organ is producing too much anxiety, particularly when it shouldnt.

Now maybe i am biased because i suffer chronic anxiety myself, but i would see it as a disease. When i am put in a situation, it flares up, just as someone with asthma experiences flare ups in dust.

Unfortunately there is no on and off switch, because it is designed to protect you, but the junctions in your mind have become askew.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 sezyboo

I am a long time sufferer from OCD and panic disorder. I have also had bouts of depression over the years. It can be so hard and I feel sometimes like as if everyone else is normal except myself. I am getting better with coping slowly but surely but it has been a long process. Most people do not understand what it is like until you've been there and I am thankful that most people do not understand as I would not wish it on anyone. The panic attacks and the OCD obsessions have been the hardest to deal with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭Joya

shezer wrote: »
    GAD, Panic attacks, adjustment disorder with depressed mood. Apparently you can have multiple disorders without having to fit in the one bracket

yes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Apparently you can have multiple disorders without having to fit in the one bracket

I suspected as much. It must make diagnosis and treatment difficult.

Which in turn makes it difficult to understand for family and friends.

I can imagine yeah. I'd say that that has been the case for a lot of us here.

• Advertisement

yes my counsellor told me that medication would never work without combination with therapy and say mindfulness and conscious work on the issues.. but they would help in that process..
    so there is work we have to put in ourselves if we want to see the change...

but i still notice whenever i "want" to do something, anything, it is as i am pushing myself to do it..

she also advised me to talk with my professors and more importantly, with my family..
    it was very hard to tell my family though perhaps even more than to my professors..
    i love my family so much specially my younger brother and i know how many issues he has and have to do for his family so i always thought id just go through everything on my own, without bothering anyone..

thats why me going to counsellor was when i could not go on anymore i had to search for help..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭CZ 453

yes my counsellor told me that medication would never work without combination with therapy and say mindfulness and conscious work on the issues.. but they would help in that process..
    so there is work we have to put in ourselves if we want to see the change...

but i still notice whenever i "want" to do something, anything, it is as i am pushing myself to do it..

she also advised me to talk with my professors and more importantly, with my family..
    it was very hard to tell my family though perhaps even more than to my professors..
    i love my family so much specially my younger brother and i know how many issues he has and have to do for his family so i always thought id just go through everything on my own, without bothering anyone..

thats why me going to counsellor was when i could not go on anymore i had to search for help..

Why did you need to talk to your professors? Was there not a disability support service in college?

Why did you need to talk to your professors? Was there not a disability support service in college?

i had to cause they are responsible for a decision
    when i say professors i mean they were also course directors

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭CZ 453

i had to cause they are responsible for a decision
    when i say professors i mean they were also course directors

Did they do much for you?

Did they do much for you?

yes they did..

btw when our sessions were over she advised me to continue with it and gave me some contacts.. but i still did not do it but think i will soon.. it meant for me to be able to talk with someone completely openly... and tbh what i went through in the last four to five years i'd only want to talk with a professional...

• Advertisement

How is the weekend treating ye all?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

How is the weekend treating ye all?

Just trying to get through it as best I can even though I feel a bit off the past few days. Going with the flow but it's tough as usual.

How are you?

lukesmom wrote: »
    Just trying to get through it as best I can even though I feel a bit off the past few days. Going with the flow but it's tough as usual.

How are you?

Kinda bored here. I find being bored causes the mind to wander a bit and that can sometimes be bad.

I hate that restless type of feeling of bored. I get that sometimes during the day as if I want to run but I don't know from what.

sezyboo wrote: »
    I hate that restless type of feeling of bored. I get that sometimes during the day as if I want to run but I don't know from what.

That is a very befitting way of saying it I must say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Describes it perfectly !

I often dream of being in a little bunker encapseled (spellt wrong) away from the world with a star trek replicator a big cosy bed and a 1000 channels TV and that you were totally self sufficient and nobody could reach and hurt you unless you let them. Weird huh.

I often dream of being in a little bunker encapseled (spellt wrong) away from the world with a star trek replicator a big cosy bed and a 1000 channels TV and that you were totally self sufficient and nobody could reach and hurt you unless you let them. Weird huh.

No way! I do the same! I include a holodeck in my lair too! :D:o

Can't believe I didn't think of the holodeck :-)

yea i often dream of being on an island away from it all like tom hanks in castaway

• Advertisement

Can't believe I didn't think of the holodeck :-)

You gotta include the holodeck! :D
    Roquentin wrote: »
    yea i often dream of being on an island away from it all like tom hanks in castaway

If you had good supplies, entertainment and shelter it might not be a bad escape to be fair :)

You gotta include the holodeck! :D

If you had good supplies, entertainment and shelter it might not be a bad escape to be fair :)

yea thats the problem. id have to have coffee and cigarettes in plentiful supply:)

Roquentin wrote: »
    yea thats the problem. id have to have coffee and cigarettes in plentiful supply:)

That's what the star trek replicator is for! :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Wow I'm not very space age so, I always want to be a forest farmer in somewhere Scandinavian with decent Internet connection.. :o

Wow I'm not very space age so, I always want to be a forest farmer in somewhere Scandinavian with decent Internet connection.. :o

Sounds very peaceful :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Sounds very peaceful :)

True but now I want a holodeck and replicater damn it..

Fairly down at the minute, consequence of keeping up the happy happy act for a little too long.. I'll never learn.

Fairly down at the minute, consequence of keeping up the happy happy act for a little too long.. I'll never learn.

*hugs*

My advice is be how you feel if you need to be. The people who love you and cherish you will accept you just how you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

I'm back to work on Monday and am filled with worry. 29 eleven year olds and 1 very anxious teacher. I usually pull myself together on the day but am sick of the panic and worry.

• Advertisement

My advice is be how you feel if you need to be. The people who love you and cherish you will accept you just how you are.

Oh I understand that and thanks, circumstances didn't lend themselves to it, firstly working with the public then a friend had a funeral of a family member so needed support more than I did. Don't worry, I'm spoiling myself for a few days now, earned it..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement