Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

mg1982 wrote: »
    Thats one complaint i have with lyrica is the withdrawals, there pretty hard to deal with. I was lucky in that i came off lyrica and went on mirtazapine so it wasnt too bad.

Hope you're doing well and I hope everyone here either lurking or posting is finding their feet. It can be very tough at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭mocha please!

In the end I asked my sister (who doesn't live with them, but is currently at home with them.) She says they're very insistent on bringing me in. It would mean them leaving home at absolutely crazy-o-clock on Sunday morning. Tomorrow morning, god it's tomorrow. Just hitting me now. I should pack. Or something.

They did suggest staying here tonight but it's out of the question, absolutely. I'm not in any right form to host them. When they brought me home yesterday (I think it was yesterday) I made them tea, but actually had to ask my mother to carry it into the room because I was too scared to carry it. If I can't make tea I certainly can't be making up a bed for them and everything else. I can't look after myself, or my son or my partner, let alone them! And I still need to pack.

I don't have the strength to argue with them about it. My mum is ringing and texting me constantly, and if I don't reply straight away, she texts my partner, which I hate ... she barely even knows him! She's turning as crazy as I am. She sent me a big long text offering to bring me up a sandwich from a particular cafe I love at home, which would be nice, except she knows it's not open on Sundays. She shakes and cries talking to me. All my issues are post-natal, or at least most of them. And it seems, from the last few days, that she has her own unresolved issues from a late miscarriage a few years ago. I've brought it all up again, with her, I think. And I'm too selfish to even try to help her.

And I need to find out if I should bring bath towels or will they have them there, and what happens with laundry, and it's all too much. :( And I think they only open Mon-Fri 9-5 for questions like that and I really don't know what to bring or what to pack or what to do. And I don't know if I can bring my phone charger or my razor or how long I'll be there and I don't know anything anymore, it's all out of my control. Jesus I remember packing my hospital bag for the maternity ward, that's the last time I was in hospital for a planned stay, how the hell was I so organised then? I'm actually frozen. I'm going in there tomorrow and I haven't a clue what I need and what I should or shouldn't bring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Hope things turn out ok there for you MP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

And I need to find out if I should bring bath towels or will they have them there, and what happens with laundry, and it's all too much. :( And I think they only open Mon-Fri 9-5 for questions like that and I really don't know what to bring or what to pack or what to do. And I don't know if I can bring my phone charger or my razor or how long I'll be there and I don't know anything anymore, it's all out of my control. Jesus I remember packing my hospital bag for the maternity ward, that's the last time I was in hospital for a planned stay, how the hell was I so organised then? I'm actually frozen. I'm going in there tomorrow and I haven't a clue what I need and what I should or shouldn't bring.

May I ask which hospital you're going to?

• Advertisement

ronivek wrote: »
    May I ask which hospital you're going to?

St Pats and if you have any info at all I'd really appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

St Pats and if you have any info at all I'd really appreciate it.

St. Patrick's is a lovely hospital. Although I know it won't help; you really have nothing to worry about.

Firstly there's a little shop in the hospital itself which sells shampoo and other bits and pieces if you need them. You should pack whatever toiletries you prefer to use just to make things a bit more comfortable for you; but you won't be left stuck without shampoo or deodorant.

As far as clothes just bring whatever you like to wear at home and whatever you like to sleep in. Plenty of people staying there just wear their tracksuit bottoms or some comfortable jeans and t-shirt for relaxing in during the day. You also won't be a "prisoner" in the hospital; so if you want to bring clothes to go into the city then you can do that also.

Don't worry about laundry; they have a laundry service that they use.

Bring a little bit of cash for the vending machines and shop/cafeteria; but you'll get your three daily meals.

If you're taking any medication bring that too; and your health insurance details.

Trust me when I say they're lovely and you have nothing to worry about; you'll find it quite different from any other hospital you've been in. In a good way.

I'll put everything in a list just to make it easier:
    1. Some casual day clothes; whatever is comfortable.
    2. Some night clothes; whatever you wear to bed.
    3. A little cash for snacks.
    4. Some toiletries you like. (don't worry too much about getting everything, the shop sells some)
    5. Any medications you're taking.
    6. Your health insurance details (if applicable).

I hope that helps.

ronivek wrote: »
    St. Patrick's is a lovely hospital. Although I know it won't help; you really have nothing to worry about.

Firstly there's a little shop in the hospital itself which sells shampoo and other bits and pieces if you need them. You should pack whatever toiletries you prefer to use just to make things a bit more comfortable for you; but you won't be left stuck without shampoo or deodorant.

As far as clothes just bring whatever you like to wear at home and whatever you like to sleep in. Plenty of people staying there just wear their tracksuit bottoms or some comfortable jeans and t-shirt for relaxing in during the day. You also won't be a "prisoner" in the hospital; so if you want to bring clothes to go into the city then you can do that also.

Don't worry about laundry; they have a laundry service that they use.

Bring a little bit of cash for the vending machines and shop/cafeteria; but you'll get your three daily meals.

If you're taking any medication bring that too; and your health insurance details.

Trust me when I say they're lovely and you have nothing to worry about; you'll find it quite different from any other hospital you've been in. In a good way.

I'll put everything in a list just to make it easier:
    1. Some casual day clothes; whatever is comfortable.
    2. Some night clothes; whatever you wear to bed.
    3. A little cash for snacks.
    4. Some toiletries you like. (don't worry too much about getting everything, the shop sells some)
    5. Any medications you're taking.
    6. Your health insurance details (if applicable).

I hope that helps.

A great post there R! :)

Thanks R, you don't know how much that's helped me. It's made me really focus and it's made things a lot easier. Thank you so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭Joya

well now that my college is partially over i am trying to cut my meds to regular dose..
    i was prescribed 40mg of ciprager which is max dose permitted by on my own was taking 60 as 40 didn't do anything for me anymore.. so i have ups an downs its really hard but i know i have to do it..

not sure how long this adaption to 40 will take .. but would love to try to cut it even further in the next stage..... whenever it may be..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

I started back counselling this week. This is my 3rd round of it.

I have been struggling quite badly with my depression and anxiety.

To me the mask i hid behind slowly turned into a straight jacket. I was so consumed by it. I kept pretending every was ok.

I just want to beat it once and for all.

Jesus f*cking christ!

My last morning of "freedom" and the afore-mentioned parents have just turned up on my doorstep. I know it's out of care and concern but they left their home at 4am!!!! I'm not being admitted until 11am, I wasn't expecting them until 10am. The plan was to shower and get ready from 8am to 9am, then pack from 9am to 10am. I had to throw all my fresh laundry onto the floor of the spare bedroom to let them lie down for a bit. This will make packing a lot harder.

May as well have just let them stay up last night like they suggested.

Now I somehow have to sort out breakfast for them too I suppose, and I'm just not able. :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Mocha, you don't have to do one other thing than pack.. (By the way charger for your phone is a good idea, it'll be kept in nurses station) There are no shortage of places to pick up a sandwich etc. I know it's hard, but in a few hours you'll be doing the very best thing you can for YOU. That filters down to your partner, child and rest of your family.. I'll be thinking of you throughout the day, take care..

Ah I know. I'm just being selfish.

It's just ... me and my boyfriend, we had this morning planned. Sausages and eggs and bacon and toast. A last few hours with just us and the baby. And that's gone now. :(

I know it's small in the grand scheme of things. But those few hours would have been so precious to all three of us. :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Oh crap, i hear ya, that's a huge pity.. :( Do have some time for yourselves in your room at some point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Ah I know. I'm just being selfish.

It's just ... me and my boyfriend, we had this morning planned. Sausages and eggs and bacon and toast. A last few hours with just us and the baby. And that's gone now. :(

I know it's small in the grand scheme of things. But those few hours would have been so precious to all three of us. :(

Your parents im sure meant well but they never listen which is common enough for parents. Fingers crossed for you today and maybe the stay and the rest in St Patricks will really help.

im getting all these headaches trying to cut my meds from 60 to 40 to 20mg...

not sure what to do, would some regular painkillers help? i have some neurofen..

anyone tried to get off meds and wish to share experience?

thanks a lot

im not even talking about anxiety and urges and what not, i know i have to go through it and cope with it all of it on me own, just this headache

Are you doing this under doctor's supervision Joya?. They might have some way of helping you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

I have never had to reduce my meds so far so I have no expereince of withdrawal side effects. Sometimes I get headaches and often it is due to dehydration as I am a poor water drinker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Joya wrote: »
    im getting all these headaches trying to cut my meds from 60 to 40 to 20mg...

not sure what to do, would some regular painkillers help? i have some neurofen..

anyone tried to get off meds and wish to share experience?

thanks a lot

im not even talking about anxiety and urges and what not, i know i have to go through it and cope with it all of it on me own, just this headache

When i was on Citalopram i was on 30mg. So when i came off it i went a week on 20mg and a week on 10mg and the withdrawals werent too bad. Maybe try coming down by 10mg at a time, you can split the tablets in half im sure. It might make things easier.

• Advertisement

Are you doing this under doctor's supervision Joya?. They might have some way of helping you.

no just on me own.. ive been on meds for over year and a half and a year ago i tried to get off but couldnt really had to go back on it..
    then i increased the dose as the regular one didnt work for me anymore at all
    so i decided to wat till college is over as it was lots of pressure and stress to deal with so that i could try to deal with my own depression and anxiety..
    so now is day 3 that i decreased the dose... only to a prescribed one.. but feel dizzy and with headaches like before when i tried, and the pain like in my eyes bowls you know..
    not sure what to do..
    perhaps should visit my gp.... but she didnt seem very much interested tbh, my old gp went to other surgery and the new one does not even know me or what i went through for the last 2 years..

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

This has worked recently for my (mild-moderate) anxiety.

I redefined myself as a 'zen' person - I accepted that worrying isn't productive and, even if it is, its still better to risk the productivity loss and be happier (and clearer - my mind was for too long a fog of juggled worries!) in your own head.

I had forgotten about trying new things or day-to-day life as I was too focused on my worries for 10 years - and I had realised that not once had I ever achieved anything for thousands of hours of this painful circus.

Now when I feel myself even being slightly concerned, I remind myself "No, I'm now zen [insert your name here]. I don't worry about things, no matter what they are - its self-destructive. I just try to savour every day like its my last."

I won't be cheeky enough to suggest people who have more severe panic or depression will be right as reign after this, but if it helps one of you for even half a day this typing will have been worth while :)

stainluss wrote: »
    This has worked recently for my (mild-moderate) anxiety.

I redefined myself as a 'zen' person - I accepted that worrying isn't productive and, even if it is, its still better to risk the productivity loss and be happier (and clearer - my mind was for too long a fog of juggled worries!) in your own head.

I had forgotten about trying new things or day-to-day life as I was too focused on my worries for 10 years - and I had realised that not once had I ever achieved anything for thousands of hours of this painful circus.

Now when I feel myself even being slightly concerned, I remind myself "No, I'm now zen _______."

I won't be cheeky enough to suggest people who have more severe panic or depression will be right as reign after this, but if it helps one of you for even half a day this typing will have been worth while :)

I've tried to get into mindfulness meditation a little while back but the distraction of tv shows and internet took me off track.

How are you today there S? :)

I'd say go to gp anyway as any prescribed meds really need some supervision, write down what you want (as most readers here know i constantly advise this, it's helped me greatly) and bring that with you just in case the doc brings you off topic etc.

well i had few conversations with my old gp and basically there is not much to say, getting off is not easy, withdrawal symptoms are to go through..
    i wasn't even aware fully what the meds are doing to me until i tried to get off..
    then i tried too soon, i got really dizzy could not even walk to the bathroom etc, and the only thing she said is to try to go through it slowly and gradually over a longer period of time..
    so i presume i just have to hold on...to push through this......

Adjusting the dose by yourself doesn't sound like the best idea imo. But i'm no doc and this isn't a place where medical advice can be given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

I agree with Grem, you shouldn't be reducing meds by yourself. Next month I will be reducing my meds. I have discussed this with my gp and she advised me to ring or make an apt in case it doesn't go well. You really need the support and supervision of a doctor.

i know grem i didn ask about medical advice, just if someone went through getting off the meds and to share/exchange the experience,
    also if regular painkillers would help with headache but i guess i will just try it and see :)

about changing the dose there is not much to say when i talked to my gp, basically if i am on 60 to try 50 for a week or two than 40 etc so it may take couple of months, rather than trying to stop all at once that is not recommended at all :)....

id really like to reclaim myself at this stage.. if you know what i mean..

I'd love to get off the meds altogether. I fear that just isn't on the cards any time soon though.

I hope it all goes ok for you Joya.

• Advertisement

Yeah i hear you, just tryin to make sure you've talked to a doc. I've changed meds a few times and some meds have been nasty, but never had a sustained headache off any.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement