Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

greenfrogs wrote: »
    Yah I love food but I definitely comfort eat. The thought of not eating any of the foods I love depresses me.

Same here GF.

It's like an addiction. Comfort eating, emotional eating, food as rewards etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Yah I love food but I definitely comfort eat. The thought of not eating any of the foods I love depresses me.

A bit of a comfort eater too, tend to gorge on chocolate if im feeling bad, it does give me a lift for a while too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

mg1982 wrote: »
    A bit of a comfort eater too, tend to gorge on chocolate if im feeling bad, it does give me a lift for a while too.

It can be a good lift from time to time. I only do it the odd time now as I have found that although I want to gorge myself my stomach isn't up to it anymore. It's weird. Probably good in a way.

It can be a good lift from time to time. I only do it the odd time now as I have found that although I want to gorge myself my stomach isn't up to it anymore. It's weird. Probably good in a way.

Thats one way of cutting down. Having stomach problems myself, meant to be taking acid reflux tablets for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

I thought the brain zaps were quite strange at first, I actually quite enjoyed the sensation of them once I found out what it was. lol

The chest pain has gone for now thankfully.. Your right using google is not a good idea.. The chest pains have been frequent though before I even googled them...

In regards to the diet, I managed to completely clean up my diet for 2 weeks in a row only to feel more depressed, tired and lonely. I've kinda lost my way and started easting crap again after the 2 weeks..

• Advertisement

carzony wrote: »
    In regards to the diet, I managed to completely clean up my diet for 2 weeks in a row only to feel more depressed, tired and lonely. I've kinda lost my way and started easting crap again after the 2 weeks..

Don't be too hard on yourself Carzony. It's something we all struggle with. The week before last I had a takeaway every single night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

I thought the brain zaps were quite strange at first, I actually quite enjoyed the sensation of them once I found out what it was. lol

The chest pain has gone for now thankfully.. Your right using google is not a good idea.. The chest pains have been frequent though before I even googled them...

2 weeks is really impressive. It takes I think 3 to 4 weeks to properly form new habits. Would you consider making small changes one by one? Like if you say, had a limit of one treat per day to start with. After a few weeks that becomes normal, so you could look at tackling another small area of your diet - having a chicken and salad roll instead of a chicken fillet roll with cheese for example. It's a lot easier to make small changes over a gradual period. Give yourself a chance to adapt!

2 weeks is really impressive. It takes I think 3 to 4 weeks to properly form new habits. Would you consider making small changes one by one? Like if you say, had a limit of one treat per day to start with. After a few weeks that becomes normal, so you could look at tackling another small area of your diet - having a chicken and salad roll instead of a chicken fillet roll with cheese for example. It's a lot easier to make small changes over a gradual period. Give yourself a chance to adapt!

Change can be hard Scrim. That being said, it is possible and can be very rewarding. Have made some little ones in the last month or so. They're not much, but they might all add up in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

The few weeks I cleaned my diet I went from 12 stone 3 pounds to 11' 12 and that was only 2 weeks.. It's amazing how much guilt I now have eating chippers and currys :(

The few weeks I cleaned my diet I went from 12 stone 3 pounds to 11' 12 and that was only 2 weeks.. It's amazing how much guilt I now have eating chippers and currys :(

Use that guilt to your advantage C. You can get back on track again! :)

• Advertisement

Everything in moderation. Tomorrow try and be healthier. Don't give yourself a hard time for eating 'bad' food. We actually have so much already to deal with thata huge change in diet can bring added pressure.

Am gonna turn in friends. Have had a lot of vivid and slightly upsetting dreams most night this week. Kinda don't wanna dream but what can one do. Goodnight

Am gonna turn in friends. Have had a lot of vivid and slightly upsetting dreams most night this week. Kinda don't wanna dream but what can one do. Goodnight

Hope you get a peaceful night there hugo.

Hope you get a peaceful night there hugo.

Glad to know you have my back MG. :)

Glad to know you have my back MG. :)

We got to look out for each other on this thread.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Hope you sleep well tonight Hugo.. Take care..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭heyday30

Night, hope they r nicer dreams tonight

Didn't mean to derail the thread lads! LOL :D:o

Night!

Just after stuffing myself with bread and biscuits. Simple but nice.

I don't even know what I am feeling. There have been three people who I have treated quite badly in the last few years. I speak to none of them at the moment. However in the first case I'm not worried as I feel this person has known me all my life and recognises that the way I acted is not a reflection of who I actually am. The second person I don't consider to be nice and I have ignored his last attempt to contact me. However the last and most recent one is quite painful. I was probably closest to this person and still am hurting over what happened. I understand that they have reasons to not want me in their life. I find it difficult that this person may hate, think really badly of me because of my actions. I suppose that is life really. I did lash out at them repeatedly so I have to respect their wishes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

That's difficult Frogs. You're not alone in it though.. Man I treated some people so badly. Then again I could say the other way around too. My personal thoughts are I need to get myself a bit better and more stable before I ask if they'll consider meeting back up with me.. I wrote notes to two of them just asking them to allow me time to see could I get right enough within myself.. Problem with having friends in our state is sometimes we do too much for them, sometimes we lash out. All because we're not looking at ourselves at all. I'm aware I sound oh so oprah now and I apologise for that.. Actually I'm pretty embarrassed now! :o

• Advertisement

People tend to work very much on a case by case basis no matter what tiny might be told by others..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭Joya

6th day on smaller dose and almost no headache.. thank god..

Joya wrote: »
    6th day on smaller dose and almost no headache.. thank god..

Thats good to hear. Did you decrease by 10 or 20 mg this time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭Joya

Thats good to hear. Did you decrease by 10 or 20 mg this time?

yea only by 10, from 60 to 50.. :o
    seems ill have to do it properly gradually...

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Anon2013

Hi everyone,
    I just need to get this out. I have suffered with serve anxiety stress and worry from the age of 11. Panics attacks, breaking down and crying are a regular thing. I also worry about everything and anything, every thought that comes into my mind is a worry, especially health wise.

I've had to stop looking up conditions on the Internet as it's like my body starts having the symptoms of certain conditions once I read about them.

I have a good GP, she knows me well probably too well. But I just worry that maybe she just puts everything that is wrong with me down to my anxiety.

I am seeing a counsellor now she is brilliant, but her methods only work when I am only a little bit stressed, when my panic level are up high, it's hard to calm down. I will never be going on any medication to help with my anxiety except herbal, acupuncture does be quiet good, the muscles in my neck and shoulders are like rocks and to be untensed every three months due to the anxiety.
    Anyway thanks for reading, I suppose I just needed to get it out of the system.

Anon2013 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    I just need to get this out. I have suffered with serve anxiety stress and worry from the age of 11. Panics attacks, breaking down and crying are a regular thing. I also worry about everything and anything, every thought that comes into my mind is a worry, especially health wise.

I've had to stop looking up conditions on the Internet as it's like my body starts having the symptoms of certain conditions once I read about them.

I have a good GP, she knows me well probably too well. But I just worry that maybe she just puts everything that is wrong with me down to my anxiety.

I am seeing a counsellor now she is brilliant, but her methods only work when I am only a little bit stressed, when my panic level are up high, it's hard to calm down. I will never be going on any medication to help with my anxiety except herbal, acupuncture does be quiet good, the muscles in my neck and shoulders are like rocks and to be untensed every three months due to the anxiety.
    Anyway thanks for reading, I suppose I just needed to get it out of the system.

I think a lot of people on this thread will be able to relate to your story. Anxiety when its chronic is such a hard cross to bear and im glad that you find the acupuncture helps. Is there any particular reason why you wont go down the medication route or is it the side effects your wary off?

Feel free to post here anytime as people are here are supportive.

Joya wrote: »
    yea only by 10, from 60 to 50.. :o
    seems ill have to do it properly gradually...

Coming down by 10mg might make the withdrawals a little easier. Best of luck. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

I'm delighted to have come across this thread. I never knew it existed.

I saw Hugo said goodnight a few pages back and you all wished him sweet dreams, I thought that was lovely and oddly it gave me a little bit of comfort knowing that there are some nice people out there going through the same thing as me.

My story: I've been suffering from depression and body dysmorphia for 12 years now. I've been on and off medication and I recently started back on it. I have been taking Prozac now for almost four weeks.

I haven't left my bed at all the past two days while my family are all at work. My brother told me last night to do anything today, go to the cinema, go for a walk, go to the shops, anything once it requires me to get out of bed but I can't. I am so lacking in energy and my eyes are so sore from crying.

The only thing that I am looking forward to is big brother on the TV this evening how sad is that?

I am dreading my family coming home from work because I feel like they don't care or understand. I am going to try so hard and go to the gym when they get back just so I can be away from them. I need the head space.

I hope I haven't hijacked this thread. I just need to talk to people.

Thanks

HW

Hey HW welcome aboard, it's not a pretty ship but it's ours.. I've had issues for some twenty years all told now, medication for the last six/seven and currently on a dbt course.. That's my basics, you'll meet more along the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Anon2013

I think a lot of people on this thread will be able to relate to your story. Anxiety when its chronic is such a hard cross to bear and im glad that you find the acupuncture helps. Is there any particular reason why you wont go down the medication route or is it the side effects your wary off?

Feel free to post here anytime as people are here are supportive.

Thanks mg1982,
    It is the side affects that is stopping me taking the medication, I rarely take medication at all as I just prefer to use natural remedies. I also won't take it as I feel yes it'll 'fix' me while I am on the medication but I can't take it for the rest of my life. When I come off it I will eventually go back to the way I am. My doctor doesn't want me to go on it as she feels I am too young, in my early 20s and she also said it can't be used as a long term solution.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement