Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

Does anybody else get really lonely. Sometimes at night I pretend that there is someone beside me hugging me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

greenfrogs wrote: »
    Does anybody else get really lonely. Sometimes at night I pretend that there is someone beside me hugging me.

All the time GF. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

It does hit me at times allright.

Yah I miss having a group of friends and being in a relationship. I miss feeling part of a group and liked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭heyday30

Haven't had proper hugs in years. It can hit home at times.

• Advertisement

Yah I miss having a group of friends and being in a relationship. I miss feeling part of a group and liked.

Its been so long now i have forgotten what it feels like.

Sad really

heyday30 wrote: »
    Haven't had proper hugs in years. It can hit home at times.

That's a rant for another time from me. :-/

Gonna hit the hay lads. Goodnight! x :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Aye the loneliness somehow is so strong it's physical more than mental

whatcanyedo

mg1982 wrote: »
    Its been so long now i have forgotten what it feels like.

Sad really

It's been a long time for me too.

Aye the loneliness somehow is so strong it's physical more than mental

whatcanyedo

So bad now i no longer feel human. Strange isnt it

• Advertisement

So bad no i longer feel human. Strange isnt it

That's harsh but so true MG. :( *bro-hugs*

I feel this goes for a few people in life

So bad no i longer feel human. Strange isnt it

In Maslow hierarchy of needs intimacy and a sense of belonging are key for us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

aye i get what yer sayin but would say its perfectly natural. if we stop eating food or drinking water our body craps out, i think the same for affection and a sense of belonging. Even though we may have family and a friend or two, they are at a distance. No validation, biofeedback, or any kind of indicator that asserts that I am anything more than the thing watching myself.

Humans are built to be social animals so it is against our nature to be solitary. Its just when your confidence and social skills become so diminished its hard to get back to what you once were.

Humans are built to be social animals so it is against our nature to be solitary. Its just when your confidence and social skills become so diminished its hard to get back to what you once were.

Being totally honest I never thought I would have the social skills to be able to engage and converse normally with other people. Counselling has helped me overcome that. Before I had zero confidence and poor social skills. I still have a long way to go but it is doable.

I agree that humans are social animals. I couldn't understand that while I craved social contact I was unable to build friendships with others. Social anxiety can be very debilitating.

Its geat that counselling has helped you to get back to that place. Social anxiety is such a hard thing to overcome and it can become a bigger and bigger obstacle in our heads if we let it. So you must have a good therapist.

I still have a long way to go but I am learning new social skills. It will take time to build up relationships and be confident in my personality. For me my behaviour which I thought was reducing my sa was actually making it worse. My therapist is good. It's crazy how they can look at a situation and pinpoint on the key information.

I still have a long way to go but I am learning new social skills. It will take time to build up relationships and be confident in my personality. For me my behaviour which I thought was reducing my sa was actually making it worse. My therapist is good. It's crazy how they can look at a situation and pinpoint on the key information.

The good ones can really make a difference. But you have to build up trust with them first and that can take time. And its not that you lost your social skills, its that the anxiety was blocking you from using them.

The good ones can really make a difference. But you have to build up trust with them first and that can take time. And its not that you lost your social skills, its that the anxiety was blocking you from using them.

I have been with her since last September. I really like her and trust her. A good therapist is worth their weight in gold. The strange thing is that I never considered that I had social anxiety until a few months ago. I just thought I was totally inept at social interactions. The depression and anxiety formed such a large part of my life that I thought they were part of me as a person. Now I see they are parasites and will continue to overtake your life unless you stop them.

• Advertisement

And parasites is a good word for them. Im going to get some sleep. Hope you have a peaceful night there GF.

Thanks. Good night.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I interact a good bit with people but I feel so isolated from them.. It's like I'm inside screaming for them to see me but outside I'm just Jane anonymous. Apparently my self worth is in minus numbers which I hadn't realised.. +1 on the good therapist, the one I finally got challenges me.. Exactly what I wanted in first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I had a relapse back into anxiety and depression. I had been doing really well and was off the anti-D's for just over a year but over the last couple of months I went from having one panic attack a week to having up to 10 a day with absolutely no triggers at all, they could come on out of anywhere which was terrifying because I never knew when they would hit and it was really getting me down. The constant worry of when they would attack and what kind of situation I would be in at the time was making me reclusive and really brought me back into depression. I went to the GP yesterday after putting it off for so long and got back on medication. I'm now 24 hours panic attack free - the longest I've been free in a month!

Sorry to hear mango. It's really tough when you have been doing so well. Things sort of creep up on you with regards the anxiety and moods.

I hope you feel better soon.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Hi Mango, welcome to the thread, I'll bet others here will read your post and will be nodding while doing so.. I certainly did. Well done on getting back to your doc. That can be a very hard step.. Keep talking to us here too. We've got a pretty good support network going on..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

I had a relapse back into anxiety and depression. I had been doing really well and was off the anti-D's for just over a year but over the last couple of months I went from having one panic attack a week to having up to 10 a day with absolutely no triggers at all, they could come on out of anywhere which was terrifying because I never knew when they would hit and it was really getting me down. The constant worry of when they would attack and what kind of situation I would be in at the time was making me reclusive and really brought me back into depression. I went to the GP yesterday after putting it off for so long and got back on medication. I'm now 24 hours panic attack free - the longest I've been free in a month!

Hi Mango,

I'm sorry to hear about your panic attacks. I'm glad you haven't had one in 24 hours and I hope you don't get another!

I'm just wondering, how would you describe a panic attack? I wonder if I've been having them without realising that what I myself am experiencing is an actual panic attack?

Sorry to hear of your troubles there SM. :(

You're amongst good company here though. Please stay and chat with us. There is a lot of caring support here and help too.

I desperately need to learn how to stop being so negative and constantly moaning. I've driven so many people away with it in the past and I can't keep doing so.

Sorry for being like that on here. I know it's a forum about depression and anxiety but still.

Lots of love for ye all. Goodnight.

• Advertisement

I desperately need to learn how to stop being so negative and constantly moaning. I've driven so many people away with it in the past and I can't keep doing so.

Sorry for being like that on here. I know it's a forum about depression and anxiety but still.

Lots of love for ye all. Goodnight.

That what the thread is for hugo. Getting things off your chest. Sleep well mate.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement