Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Highlight of today - I finally got my own room!!!! After being in here since Sunday. It feels so much better to actually have my own little bit of space and stability. I've packed my stuff away and am just enjoying settling in. :) I still have nurses and doctors poking their heads around the door every now and then but at least they knock now instead of just swishing in through the curtains!

I had an interesting dream the night I was admitted here. I was at the train station, and an old woman in front of me in a shawl was trying to get through the ticket barriers to get to the platform, but couldn't. I was getting impatient so offered to help her. She was crying, and asked me was she at the right place to get to some local village, I told her it was about a mile's walk away. She expected me to help her get there, she didn't even ask me, just told me to. I reluctantly did. As we were walking along, I was walking quite fast and she kept falling behind and I had to keep going back and grabbing her arm or holding her hand. Eventually we arrived at the address she had wanted to get to. She went up to the doorway of the house, and someone opened it. It was my partner, there with my baby. And the old lady took off her shawl and she wasn't an old lady, she was me - a young, happy, healthy looking smiley me. The way I used to be, the way I should be. And all three of them smiled and waved at me.

If I were one to read into dreams, I would choose to take from that that it's going to be a long, stressful, difficult journey, but that I'm the only one who can do it, and that hopefully there'll be a happy ending to it.

Deeply introspective! :D

What a lovely dream MP. A sigh of things to come I'm sure. :)

Great to hear that you got the room too. You can't beat having some privacy and personal space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Highlight of today - I finally got my own room!!!! After being in here since Sunday. It feels so much better to actually have my own little bit of space and stability. I've packed my stuff away and am just enjoying settling in. :) I still have nurses and doctors poking their heads around the door every now and then but at least they knock now instead of just swishing in through the curtains!

I had an interesting dream the night I was admitted here. I was at the train station, and an old woman in front of me in a shawl was trying to get through the ticket barriers to get to the platform, but couldn't. I was getting impatient so offered to help her. She was crying, and asked me was she at the right place to get to some local village, I told her it was about a mile's walk away. She expected me to help her get there, she didn't even ask me, just told me to. I reluctantly did. As we were walking along, I was walking quite fast and she kept falling behind and I had to keep going back and grabbing her arm or holding her hand. Eventually we arrived at the address she had wanted to get to. She went up to the doorway of the house, and someone opened it. It was my partner, there with my baby. And the old lady took off her shawl and she wasn't an old lady, she was me - a young, happy, healthy looking smiley me. The way I used to be, the way I should be. And all three of them smiled and waved at me.

If I were one to read into dreams, I would choose to take from that that it's going to be a long, stressful, difficult journey, but that I'm the only one who can do it, and that hopefully there'll be a happy ending to it.

Deeply introspective! :D

Wow what a dream to have. I bet you woke up feeling a lot better. I sometimes have dreams along those lines where they feel very real but not often.

Happy Friday to ye all! Am so glad that the weekend is here!

Happy Friday to ye all! Am so glad that the weekend is here!

And happy friday to you too hugo. Hope the week at work went ok for you.

mg1982 wrote: »
    And happy friday to you too hugo. Hope the week at work went ok for you.

It was busy and stressful enough at times. I felt like bolting once or twice but I didn't. Must be progress! LOL

How's our MG there? :)

• Advertisement

It was busy and stressful enough at times. I felt like bolting once or twice but I didn't. Must be progress! LOL

How's our MG there? :)

Spent most the day in the hospital, had to have an endoscopy on my stomach and was fully sedated for it. Everything came up clear anyway. But all im fit for is the couch. :D

I know what you mean. In my last job feeling like walking out was a regular occurence.

Spent most the day in the hospital, had to have an endoscopy on my stomach and was fully sedated for it. Everything came up clear anyway. But all im fit for is the couch. :D

I know what you mean. In my last job feeling like walking out was a regular occurence.

Glad to hear that it cam up clear man! One less thing to worry about so! :)
    I had to get a colonoscopy and endoscopy done a few years back. Didn't get much sedation at all though. Needless to say I struggled a bit. LOL

Any plans for the weekend there?

I had to get a colonoscopy and endoscopy done a few years back. Didn't get much sedation at all though. Needless to say I struggled a bit. LOL

I was hearing its not a pleasant experience so thats why i went with full sedation. Im a wimp when it comes to pain. :o

No plans really. Probably be watching the footie over the weekend.
    Heading out yourself?

I was hearing its not a pleasant experience so thats why i went with full sedation. Im a wimp when it comes to pain. :o

No plans really. Probably be watching the footie over the weekend.
    Heading out yourself?

I had no choice in the matter! LOL

It'll be a quiet enough one here man. Just a bit of walking and stocking up on supplies is all.

I had no choice in the matter! LOL

It'll be a quiet enough one here man. Just a bit of walking and stocking up on supplies is all.

Sounds good. Hope you get to unwind from the weeks work there man.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭heyday30

That's brave. I had both done a few times. Knocked out clean for them

heyday30 wrote: »
    That's brave. I had both done a few times. Knocked out clean for them

They filled me with wind but the nurse said it was fine to fart. Needless to say I went to town! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

Anyone chronically sick? Anxiety must weaken our immune systems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

GeneralC wrote: »

I have ibs and psorasis. Very annoying when they flare up. I suppose I'm lucky in that they are both on the less severe side of the scale. Both are interlinked to stress and anxiety.

What's even more annoying is that my ibs is flaring atm due to a bad diet. Does that stop me from eating? No. In fact I am eating everything is sight.

My poor sleep routine is being a pain. I had to get up early today and spent the whole day feeling so tired. Then I had plans for tonight but I was so exhausted I cancelled them. I'm after a nap now so I probably won't sleep for hours. So I'm still in the same cycle.

GeneralC wrote: »

I have noticed in recent years i seem to pick up everything thats going. Along with stomach problems, joint pain and chronic fatigue it all adds up.

I have noticed in recent years i seem to pick up everything thats going. Along with stomach problems, joint pain and chronic fatigue it all adds up.

Yeah my immune system is sh1te as I get older. I've crohns and thyroid problems both cause chronic fatigue and pain,

Yeah my immune system is sh1te as I get older. I've crohns and thyroid problems both cause chronic fatigue and pain,

Yeah crohns is very hard to cope with, have you had much luck with doctors? I often wonder is having mental issues contributing to it. It must be though.

Yeah crohns is very hard to cope with, have you had much luck with doctors? I often wonder is having mental issues contributing to it. It must be though.

Not really. I haven't had major flare up in a long time tho... Touch wood. Stress and nervousness certainly aggravate it. Think it holds me back from a lot of things. Doctors seem to treat it textbook with meds.

Not really. I haven't had major flare up in a long time tho... Touch wood. Stress and nervousness certainly aggravate it. Think it holds me back from a lot of things. Doctors seem to treat it textbook with meds.

You mean with psychiatric meds. Last time i went to see my doc with these physical complaints he told me to talk to my psychiatrist. He seems to think its related to that. The symptoms are very real though.

You mean with psychiatric meds. Last time i went to see my doc with these physical complaints he told me to talk to my psychiatrist. He seems to think its related to that. The symptoms are very real though.

No meds for crohns. I get that sometimes with my gp but I think symptoms are or seem worse if your not in a good headspace.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

:(

My life isn't worth living. All of my friends are moving away and getting jobs and I'm just stuck here in limbo. I'm ****ing useless.

Hope the rest of yous are having a more pleasant weekend.

My life isn't worth living. All of my friends are moving away and getting jobs and I'm just stuck here in limbo. I'm ****ing useless.

Sorry to hear your feeling that way EI. I suppose one of the things therapists do say is not to compare yourself to others which i know is hard. I compare myself to my siblings all the time and i end up feeling like the black sheep. But we all have our own paths too take in life and your friends arent dealing with the same stuff your dealing with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Sorry to hear you're feeling like that :( I'm in the same situation, majority of my friends are in different countries or counties with great jobs or college courses and I'm stuck here lacking the energy to even try find more work! It's hard not to compare ourselves to others, it leads to more frustration.

I had to stop taking my meds after only three days. Side effects just got to be too much, the panic attacks were way worse on them than they were before I started. I think I'll wait till all this dizziness passes then go back to the doctor and maybe get started on a lower dose. Reading the data sheet it says to start on 10mg and build up to 20, he started me straight on 20!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

Sorry to hear your feeling that way EI. I suppose one of the things therapists do say is not to compare yourself to others which i know is hard. I compare myself to my siblings all the time and i end up feeling like the black sheep. But we all have our own paths too take in life and your friends arent dealing with the same stuff your dealing with.

That's it though, some of them are, and even worse stuff than I have to deal with. I don't even know why I bother with things anymore. I just feel like I'm losing everyone. You're right about it not being useful to compare yourself to others, but I can't seem to stop doing it, or to distract myself from it.

Skipping day hospital and therapy appointment at the end of the week was a bad idea. I just want my brain to shut up and let me get on with things.

That's it though, some of them are, and even worse stuff than I have to deal with. I don't even know why I bother with things anymore. I just feel like I'm losing everyone. You're right about it not being useful to compare yourself to others, but I can't seem to stop doing it, or to distract myself from it.

Skipping day hospital and therapy appointment at the end of the week was a bad idea. I just want my brain to shut up and let me get on with things.

I wish there was an off switch for our brains so we could get some peace, but our minds are constantly going. I guess thats the anxiety though. When i had friends i was constantly comparing myself to them especially when they were going to college, girlfriends and then marriage and kids. Its like that all passed me by. The fact that i live a solitary life now mostly i dont really think of comparing myself to them.

Try not too feel guilty about missing your appointment. Are you due there monday?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 DepDep

I wish there was an off switch for our brains so we could get some peace, but our minds are constantly going. I guess thats the anxiety though. When i had friends i was constantly comparing myself to them especially when they were going to college, girlfriends and then marriage and kids. Its like that all passed me by. The fact that i live a solitary life now mostly i dont really think of comparing myself to them.

Try not too feel guilty about missing your appointment. Are you due there monday?

Has anyone here tried meditation? I personally found solace in meditation. My only problem is the lack of space where I can have some peace and quiet - I live in a rough neighborhood and my flatmates are not supportive either (thus my question earlier in this thread about some quiet places in city centre). Hopefully I get to move to the south of Dublin soon!

*hugs*

Hang on in there EI.

A lot of us are in similar situations. It can indeed be mighty sucky unfortunately.

How does one make new friends?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

DepDep wrote: »
    Has anyone here tried meditation? I personally found solace in meditation. My only problem is the lack of space where I can have some peace and quiet - I live in a rough neighborhood and my flatmates are not supportive either (thus my question earlier in this thread about some quiet places in city centre). Hopefully I get to move to the south of Dublin soon!

Earphones YouTube mindfulness and pick one whose accent doesn't annoy you

• Registered Users Posts: 7 DepDep

I prefer meditation in silence, voices and music (even white noise) distract me. I have custom made earplugs but even those can't silence the screeching noise of a shouting kid :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

DepDep wrote: »
    I prefer meditation in silence, voices and music (even white noise) distract me. I have custom made earplugs but even those can't silence the screeching noise of a shouting kid :(

Sorry I can't be of more help

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement