Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 sezyboo

I know sometimes that we just have to pull ourselves together. I remember a friend showing me a black box and saying what is in that box? I said I have no idea and she said exactly. That is how we are on the inside. Even though we feel like we are dying no one can see it. Sometimes life doesn't permit us to be ourselves. It is a shame but that is the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭is mise spartacus

Some retail therapy today gave me a bit of a boost mood wise. The crowds though... Not so much. Shaking giving the money to the cashier etc.. Eh it was an alright day. A bit better than yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Some retail therapy today gave me a bit of a boost mood wise. The crowds though... Not so much. Shaking giving the money to the cashier etc.. Eh it was an alright day. A bit better than yesterday.

Glad to hear that IMS :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Just in from a walk by the sea and Ice cream...you can't beat that to pick you up

I love the sea and ice cream. Here you can get the best ice cream. All different sorts. Ferrero Rochet ice cream is the biz :-) Glad you had a nice time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

Sick to death of dealing with people trying to bring me down. No, family, friends, ex boyfriends I'm not a cold bitch I just try to look for the reasonable side of things why is that so hard to take?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

chinacup wrote: »
    Sick to death of dealing with people trying to bring me down. No, family, friends, ex boyfriends I'm not a cold bitch I just try to look for the reasonable side of things why is that so hard to take?

When you change your priorities a bit to look after yourself more most people get a bit of a jolt that you're not the walkover you once were.. Then they might misinterpret it as cold or mean.. Explain what you're at to those you feel may understand if you like.. Main thing, well done on protecting yourself more..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I hate when I temporarily kill a thread.. Especially when it's so quiet around.. Finding it hard to distract my brain from rumination on things it shouldn't at the moment..

Hi are you ok? I know it is sometimes really hard to distract yourself from worries.

Yeah just feeling a downer coming on, overtaxed myself a bit.

• Advertisement

My OCD kicks in big time at night and all sorts of thoughts go through my head. What has really helped is to write things down, read over it once and then say ok I have it written down safe and I try to put it out of my mind. Not always easy but it does help.

I used to write it, but managed to make that into nonsense in my head too. Currently awaitin another hospital appointment to see if they have anything to offer on the cbt end of things..

I try to do it in main points. Like for example: Thought that worries me
    5 most important points for and 5 against.
    I did CBT and it was brilliant too but did not much to address my OCD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

Feeling dull lethargic and heavy hearted.
    I have to do something about my weight gone beyond a joke. Put on almost 2 stones in as many months.

Im really am grotesque. Feel horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

handbagmad wrote: »
    Feeling dull lethargic and heavy hearted.
    I have to do something about my weight gone beyond a joke. Put on almost 2 stones in as many months.

Im really am grotesque. Feel horrendous.

I've put on over two stone in a year because of medications I'm on. It gets to me too but the anxiety is worse. Bet your not as big as you think you are, we are often our worst critics x big hugs to you xx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭is mise spartacus

Numb
    Anxious
    Tired
    Going to listen to Kate Bush before I sleep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭Joya

sezyboo wrote: »
    My OCD kicks in big time at night and all sorts of thoughts go through my head. What has really helped is to write things down, read over it once and then say ok I have it written down safe and I try to put it out of my mind. Not always easy but it does help.
    yes my therapist also suggested to write a journl which is different that diary,
    and also another journal, in which i would write whatever comes to my head from my childhood and teen years..
    she also suggested these not to be read but just to write it even if it sounds like nonsense
    even if id tear apart those pages as soon as i write them..
    shezer wrote: »
    I agree. CBT is very good. For me, I need to get my anxiety way down chemically first in order to reap the benefits of CBT in the long term.
    i believe theraphy would benefit the effect of meds. but then we all have to find our own time..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

Numb
    Anxious
    Tired
    Going to listen to Kate Bush before I sleep

chopins nocturnes. cant beat them

• Registered Users Posts: 23 ZenPit

Feelin really depersonalized and anti-social today.

When you change your priorities a bit to look after yourself more most people get a bit of a jolt that you're not the walkover you once were.. Then they might misinterpret it as cold or mean.. Explain what you're at to those you feel may understand if you like.. Main thing, well done on protecting yourself more..

Thank you Gremlinertia. I have Borderline Personality Disorder so I think sometimes it might be a symptom of this but my family aren't always great at understanding that. I hurt people and go to far so I'm no angel but also I am just trying to protect myself. I seem to attract a lot of negative people into my life due to low self confidence so that causes problems too. Its a work in progress. The give and take balance is not always equal, down to the uneducated views of mental illness in my circle! I'm totally rambling here but anyway thanks for your support its nice to be able to vent your frustrations to the interweb and have strangers just get it. :)

• Advertisement

Are there many people on here with bipolar? I would live to be able to talk to other people with bipolar.

Thank you Gremlinertia. I have Borderline Personality Disorder so I think sometimes it might be a symptom of this but my family aren't always great at understanding that. I hurt people and go to far so I'm no angel but also I am just trying to protect myself. I seem to attract a lot of negative people into my life due to low self confidence so that causes problems too. Its a work in progress. The give and take balance is not always equal, down to the uneducated views of mental illness in my circle! I'm totally rambling here but anyway thanks for your support its nice to be able to vent your frustrations to the interweb and have strangers just get it. :)

i was saying in another post that i suspect i have that. The thing with me is my emotions fluctuate like the irish weather although the increase in meds have stabilzied me now it seems.

what invariably happens is i become confident, excessively confident and go off and do something stupid and then fall into depression and you can see the cycle. Is that common with you?

Its kind of similar to mania the confidence in that the ideas will be flowing and you think you are god and can do this and that. for example i might be playing soccer and get into fights or something.

Are there many people on here with bipolar? I would live to be able to talk to other people with bipolar.

it is very similar to borderline i understand, which like i say i suspect i have on top of my anxiety and depression

I've been told I have a personality disorder of some sort, no closer to figuring out what yet - yet again discharged from system.. It can be painful to deal with.. I'm bad with dates and can't stand phone calls so missed last appointment, no second chances, start from beginning.

Roquentin wrote: »
    i was saying in another post that i suspect i have that. The thing with me is my emotions fluctuate like the irish weather although the increase in meds have stabilzied me now it seems.

what invariably happens is i become confident, excessively confident and go off and do something stupid and then fall into depression and you can see the cycle. Is that common with you?

Its kind of similar to mania the confidence in that the ideas will be flowing and you think you are god and can do this and that. for example i might be playing soccer and get into fights or something.

Yup that is common with me! Have you looked at the diagnostic criteria for BPD at all?

Actually come to think, I haven't experienced elation in quite a long while but I have in the past experienced it much moreso than what seemed to be the norm and also it was kind of frightening to me, after it happened I would be like whoa why was I like that. There are definitely some similarities between bipolar and bpd but when you get down to the nitty gritty, the two are v distinct from one another IMO.

My pain health problem has been steadily worsening over the last few hours. So much for the badly needed sleep later. This should lead to some sh1t form later.

Yup that is common with me! Have you looked at the diagnostic criteria for BPD at all?

i have a terrible rage as well and when something goes against plan i fall into depressed mode

i have a terrible rage as well and when something goes against plan i fall into depressed mode

I find that if I forget my medication even once, I end up feeling angry at everything for a few days.

• Advertisement

Well emotional instability is one of the criteria but that alone wouldn't give you a diagnosis of BPD. There are two main diagnostic manuals for BPD/EUPD, the DSM-5 and the ICD-10.

In the DSM:

"a person must meet 5 of 9 criteria to receive a diagnosis of borderline personality disorder. The DSM-5 defines the main features of BPD as a pervasive pattern of instability in interpersonal relationships, self image, and affects(emotions), as well as markedly impulsive behavior"

"In addition, the DSM-5 proposes alternative diagnostic criteria for Borderline personality disorder in section III, "Alternative DSM-5 Model for Personality Disorders." These alternative criteria are based on trait research and include specifying at least four of seven maladaptive traits." -Wikipedia.

Then in the ICD -10 a similar concept of BPD is named as Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder with two types. (I was diagnosed with this, borderline type)

F60.30 Impulsive type
    At least three of the following must be present, one of which must be (2):

marked tendency to act unexpectedly and without consideration of the consequences;
    marked tendency to engage in quarrelsome behavior and to have conflicts with others, especially when impulsive acts are thwarted or criticized;
    liability to outbursts of anger or violence, with inability to control the resulting behavioral explosions;
    difficulty in maintaining any course of action that offers no immediate reward;
    unstable and capricious (impulsive, whimsical) mood.

F60.31 Borderline type
    At least three of the symptoms mentioned in F60.30 Impulsive type must be present [see above], with at least two of the following in addition:

disturbances in and uncertainty about self-image, aims, and internal preferences;
    liability to become involved in intense and unstable relationships, often leading to emotional crisis;
    excessive efforts to avoid abandonment;
    recurrent threats or acts of self-harm;
    chronic feelings of emptiness.
    demonstrates impulsive behavior, e.g., speeding, substance abuse[78]
    The ICD-10 also describes some general criteria that define what is considered a Personality disorder.

- all taken from wiki. Sorry for the long post feel free to PM if you've any more questions. I'll do my best to answer them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement