Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,176 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Could someone explain to me reasons why depression could be considered a Long Term Illness? I have no hostility in this question I'm far more curious than hostile.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Could someone explain to me reasons why depression could be considered a Long Term Illness? I have no hostility in this question I'm far more curious than hostile.

Because the person suffering can take some time to seek treatment, there are many varying types which can further delay a correct diagnosis and in some cases medications along with other treatments such as talk therapy can be needed for many years. I'm currently approaching six years worth of treatment. I have known but not wanted to admit there was something wrong with me for quite a few more years however the taboo and stigma attached prevented me from looking for help for many of those years.

Hope this helps.

Because the person suffering can take some time to seek treatment, there are many varying types which can further delay a correct diagnosis and in some cases medications along with other treatments such as talk therapy can be needed for many years. I'm currently approaching six years worth of treatment. I have known but not wanted to admit there was something wrong with me for quite a few more years however the taboo and stigma attached prevented me from looking for help for many of those years.

Hope this helps.

Appreciate the response.

I have just came across this fourm now and think its a great idea. I have been affected by "mental health issues" (I HATE those three words, I refuse to think there is something wrong with me) over my life but gladly nothing ever too serious. I have helped alot of people with their issues though. I think a place like this just to explain what your feeling and to have such a friendly response would help so much for people, especially those who don't have many people to talk to about these things. (From experience, you may have all the friends in the world, but none close enough and understanding enough to share these issues).

I this evening watched a very strongly worded YouTube video about self harm. While I agree with his main point, I found him very condescending, nearly patronising in his talk about the little pleasures do not matter. I think the little pleasures do matter and to be honest I don't know where I would be without them. I don't self harm thank god but I know people who have done and some that still do. My message to anyone who does is take your life day by day. If your having a particularly hard day have an indulgence. I'm not an advocate of unhealthy lifestyles but they are less harmful in my opinion than being depressed with a healthy one. You need a semi-healthy lifestyle in which you have your few indulgences.
    Now back on topic : My message is to enjoy your little pleasures (within reason, eg nothing majorly illegal or likely to hurt others). If you are giving up the fags for example but you are feeling awful and depressed, have one, but know that this will actually help you kick the addiction and feel better for the rest of the day.

Positive outlook. As cheesy, cringy or unpractical as it looks/sounds, its really the only thing that bloddy works. Nobody is insignificant. Sure in the wider range of things even the earth is, but that's almost completely irrelevant. You are important in your family and community. I would nearly call it ignorance to think otherwise.

Hope this at least makes people think,
    Thanks ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Came to work, not doing so good. if it was busier it'd be better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

Gongoozler wrote: »
    Came to work, not doing so good. if it was busier it'd be better.

Well it's nearly lunchtime. You are doing really well so far. It might get busier later

• Advertisement

I'm not doing well. Everyone can tell there's something wrong, and some are asking. now people are gone on lunch and I'm finding it hard to not cry. I'm going to be the same later when I go home. By myself. I can't keep watching programmes. I should have taken the day off

The more people ask me am I alright the more it upsets me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

I'm not doing well. Everyone can tell there's something wrong, and some are asking. now people are gone on lunch and I'm finding it hard to not cry. I'm going to be the same later when I go home. By myself. I can't keep watching programmes. I should have taken the day off

*hugs*

Struggling not to cry to one of the worst things to experience when anxious.

I wish I knew what to say to make this all better for you GG. :( Sorry you're going through all this.

May I ask, what way do they ask it? Is it in a caring way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

carnacalla, please do not make such blanket statements such as "positive outlook is the only thing that works" - such statements are inaccurate and unhelpful. This thread is about giving support to people, who are at various levels of distress and/or illness, and simply adopting 'a positive outlook' is, unfortunately, impossible for some.

• Advertisement

sam34 wrote: »
    carnacalla, please do not make such blanket statements such as "positive outlook is the only thing that works" - such statements are inaccurate and unhelpful. This thread is about giving support to people, who are at various levels of distress and/or illness, and simply adopting 'a positive outlook' is, unfortunately, impossible for some.

I apologise, I was talking from my own experience. Of course that is not always possible I agree, but my suggestion would to be to try. I often forget my own advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭MojoRisinnnn

Sorry to hear GG. I know exactly how you feel with when people ask how you are and you feel like you're giving off a vibe of someone not doing well, can make you feel even worse, l've absolutely been there myself so you're not alone at all and at least Monday is nearly over now hope your day gets better!

Sorry to hear GG. I know exactly how you feel with when people ask how you are and you feel like you're giving off a vibe of someone not doing well, can make you feel even worse, l've absolutely been there myself so you're not alone at all and at least Monday is nearly over now hope your day gets better!

I have been there so many times too. It is a tough place to be in. I also know there is little I can say or do that will help ease this for you. Just keeping posting here whenever you feel alone. It may bring you some comfort Gong.

It's not really depression or anxiety related so I shouldn't be off loading here but you are the only people I have.

I feel like I'm been stripped of everything I have and abandoned in a forest.
    Finished work, going home to cry. I really don't know that I can go in tomorrow.
    I had my first panic attack in about 6 years yesterday. I felt another one coming on earlier today. I'm trying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

GG you did great to make it through work today, well done. Keep talking about it to us in here, we're here to listen. Look after yourself. Take the day off tomorrow if you need to and don't feel guilty. Break ups are traumatic, and especially so if you're dealing with mental health stuff as well.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Gong, have you contacted your doctor?. As previously mentioned a break up is traumatic and perhaps a talk with your doc might help there may even be something they can do in the short term, certainly no harm can come of it?.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

God damn f*cking depression. Look at that sky, its majestic, like some beautiful closing scene to the day and I'm numb and heart sunken.

Does anyone else here have a tendency to google 'depression news', 'new depression treatment' or something to that effect on a regular basis? I always have that hope that some day I'm gonna read "Scientist have just discovered a new treatment for depression that etc etc expected to be on shelves by mid 2016". It's naive because the whole process, FDA, etc takes forever but still I do it 2 twice a day sometimes.

Hope everyones doing ok.

Google is not always your friend.. :( I try to make sure if I'm searching I search for pre existing ideas. As you said new possibilities are usually some time away because of red tape etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Anon2013

Google is not always your friend.. :(
    Agree with this, Google has been a major factor contributing to my stress levels. I've had to disabled looking up certain medical sights on my laptop as I just spend most of my time googling symptoms.

I don't know which will work out worse for me, going to work or staying home

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭timecurve12

I was wondering could anyone help me... had a terrible experience in a psych appointment today, where I literally begged for help (I couldn't stop crying) and was refused... they sent me out the door in tears and just offered no support really, no med change nothing. I feel devastated, and I don't know where to turn. I feel dismissed and like they don't listen at all. Does anyone where I can turn? I was thinking my gp but they probably can't do anything now, that I'm under a mental health team. I feel really lost, I'm so upset and there's no where I can go. I feel like I've exhausted all my options. I rang the Samaritans after and I felt like the person on the other end couldn't wait to get me off the phone. Any advice?

I was wondering could anyone help me... had a terrible experience in a psych appointment today, where I literally begged for help (I couldn't stop crying) and was refused... they sent me out the door in tears and just offered no support really, no med change nothing. I feel devastated, and I don't know where to turn. I feel dismissed and like they don't listen at all. Does anyone where I can turn? I was thinking my gp but they probably can't do anything now, that I'm under a mental health team. I feel really lost, I'm so upset and there's no where I can go. I feel like I've exhausted all my options. I rang the Samaritans after and I felt like the person on the other end couldn't wait to get me off the phone. Any advice?

I think you should speak to your GP. Just explain your concerns and discuss what happened with the psychiatrist. All doctors are meant to be advocates for their patients. If you are not getting the care you require then this should be addressed.

Was it one or more psychiatrists you meet today?

Timecurve, I agree with Greenfrogs there. You're gp has your best interests at heart so I would very much think you should go back to them and see what they make of what happened you today. Perhaps they will contact directly on your behalf to see what's going on.. Try not to let it disappoint you too much, think all of us here have had the odd bad experience.. Keep on keepin on..

greenfrogs wrote: »
    I think you should speak to your GP. Just explain your concerns and discuss what happened with the psychiatrist. All doctors are meant to be advocates for their patients. If you are not getting the care you require then this should be addressed.

Was it one or more psychiatrists you meet today?

I saw a psychiatrist and a nurse. Thanks for your advice, I will try speaking to my GP when I can. I'm really scared and shaken by this experience tbh. I just feel like they're dismissing me being upset, that it's just because of my mental illness. They don't seem to care at all.

Timecurve, I agree with Greenfrogs there. You're gp has your best interests at heart so I would very much think you should go back to them and see what they make of what happened you today. Perhaps they will contact directly on your behalf to see what's going on.. Try not to let it disappoint you too much, think all of us here have had the odd bad experience.. Keep on keepin on..
    Thank you, I will try and not let it get to me. Hopefully things will get better :(

I saw a psychiatrist and a nurse. Thanks for your advice, I will try speaking to my GP when I can. I'm really scared and shaken by this experience tbh. I just feel like they're dismissing me being upset, that it's just because of my mental illness. They don't seem to care at all.

Yah when you feel up to it then you should talk to your GP. It's hard when you feel that people are dismissing you due to your mental illness. It's very patronising and demeaning. I'm sorry you had such a bad experience today. Some health care professionals should have chosen different career paths.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭mark_jmc

selfishly i stay away from reading this forum when im feeling well as i find it can act as a trigger for me but at the moment I am right in the pit,
    this is down there with the worst i have felt in the last 15 years and i dont know how to get out. I'm functioning, going to work, existing but it feels like there is no hope, i hate this feeling. i am clinging on to my thought that i will get out of this because i've done it before but its just so hard. What makes it all worse is that my life is actually going well at the moment, I have a job I love, my boss is great, I have a wonderful wife, who is 10 weeks pregnant, my friends and family are fantastic.
    i just cant get myself out of this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

mark_jmc wrote: »
    selfishly i stay away from reading this forum when im feeling well as i find it can act as a trigger for me but at the moment I am right in the pit,
    this is down there with the worst i have felt in the last 15 years and i dont know how to get out. I'm functioning, going to work, existing but it feels like there is no hope, i hate this feeling. i am clinging on to my thought that i will get out of this because i've done it before but its just so hard. What makes it all worse is that my life is actually going well at the moment, I have a job I love, my boss is great, I have a wonderful wife, who is 10 weeks pregnant, my friends and family are fantastic.
    i just cant get myself out of this

It sounds like there are a lot of positives going on in your life there mark but sometimes depression will come at you when you least expect it. Then of course we start feeling guilty for feeling depressed when all these good things are happening but thats the nature of the beast.

Hopefully you can get to see your gp soon mark and look into getting some treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭mark_jmc

thanks for the reply MG, yes a lot of positives thank god,
    I have been to the GP and meds are adjusted, hopefully they will kick in soon. i just keep telling myself- i will get out of this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭mocha please!

Went to a lecture about the stigma surrounding mental illness this morning. Maybe this is a cartoon you guys have seen before, but I've never seen it, and it's so true!

mentalhealth.png

Anyways the talk made me really think about how I'll cope with returning to work when the time comes. Anyways, that's a long way off yet.

Then I went to an anti-tension type class, a bit hippyish but quite calming, nice to shut off the brain for a while.

Little else planned for the rest of the day apart from (hopefully) getting access the the music room here, they have the most beautiful Yamaha piano but you need a permit to access the room (as you'd be in there alone) ... I've been granted permission, so just waiting for it to be processed.

Right now my mood is perfect, I'm neither anxious nor depressed, which is why I feel a bit strange posting here. But then again I'm very well aware that I only feel so calm because of the cocktail of drugs I'm on. The real work hasn't even started yet!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement