Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

greenfrogs wrote: »
    Some people are not nice and take advantage of the people they meet. If anything illegal occurred with that guy then you have the right to report it. Have you discussed this with your GP, therapist.

No I haven't discussed it. I was underage so I guess it was illegal. I just can't discuss it. If I did, would the therapist be forced to report it?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

No I haven't discussed it. I was underage so I guess it was illegal. I just can't discuss it. If I did, would the therapist be forced to report it?

It's historical so I would say not. Think it would be worth mentioning actually as it has come up for you, but that's just my feeling on it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

I agree with Grem I think it would be worth talking about it. Is that the reason why you feel down at the moment. That's a pretty big thing to carry on your shoulders. Especially that it happened at a young age. You were essentially a child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

It's historical so I would say not. Think it would be worth mentioning actually as it has come up for you, but that's just my feeling on it..

I'd have to agree with Grem. If it's on your mind and is bothering you, it might be good to bring it up. If only to be able to deal with it in a healthy manner and hopefully get some closure on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭heyday30

Lads and ladies. Truly hope things improve for all of us soon.
    You are never alone. This thread proves that.
    We are all fighting demons of our own.

• Advertisement

heyday30 wrote: »
    Lads and ladies. Truly hope things improve for all of us soon.
    You are never alone. This thread proves that.
    We are all fighting demons of our own.

That's the great thing about this thread, we're a great little community of support for each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

That's the great thing about this thread, we're a great little community of support for each other.

Absolutley agree with this, this room has been a great help too me. Just to come on and vent sometimes. Its good to have friends and support on here.

I have finally done up a new and updated cv for myself. Actually very pleased with myself right now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Well done Frogs, I wouldn't have a clue myself!. Dosed up now because of chest infection, delightful..

Well done Frogs, I wouldn't have a clue myself!. Dosed up now because of chest infection, delightful..

I hope you feel better soon.

It will be challenging looking for work. I don't have any confidence in my own abilities. It can be very disheartening for anyone who is unemployed. The perfect job is never going to land on my lap so just have to keep on trying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 marklynch065

Thanks a million for your reply! I had lost my boards.ie password so apologies late reply! Its nice to know i can vent here. Its not the sort of thing i feel comfortable discussing usually

How are things there Mark?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭mocha please!

mg1982 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that MP. Glad to hear your back on a better ward now. How would you feel its gone in there so far, has it been of benefit too you?

Still very early stages. And I haven't even started an official therapy program yet - just sleeping, eating, going to open lectures and relaxation sessions etc. Might give the crafts and pottery etc a go today. There's a nice music room too with a beautiful piano, I go there the odd time.

I was speaking with my consultant today, and she and I both agree it's only this week I'm even possibly in a frame of mind where starting a program will be possible for me. I needed time to build myself up - physically and mentally. A decision will be made by the team today about what program I'll be doing and when.

So still very early days! It's a great place and I have a lot of confidence in the team that I'll be working with. (And it really is done that way - you work WITH them, I have a lot of input into my individualised recovery plan.)

Still very early stages. And I haven't even started an official therapy program yet - just sleeping, eating, going to open lectures and relaxation sessions etc. Might give the crafts and pottery etc a go today. There's a nice music room too with a beautiful piano, I go there the odd time.

I was speaking with my consultant today, and she and I both agree it's only this week I'm even possibly in a frame of mind where starting a program will be possible for me. I needed time to build myself up - physically and mentally. A decision will be made by the team today about what program I'll be doing and when.

So still very early days! It's a great place and I have a lot of confidence in the team that I'll be working with. (And it really is done that way - you work WITH them, I have a lot of input into my individualised recovery plan.)

Great to hear from you again MP. :)

It sounds like the place there is a positive environment for you.

I hope things keep on going from strength to strength there. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Thanks a million for your reply! I had lost my boards.ie password so apologies late reply! Its nice to know i can vent here. Its not the sort of thing i feel comfortable discussing usually

I cant emphasise the importance of talking enough. Theres a saying "a problem shared is a problem halved". I don't suffer with depression but I went through a period of physical illness and that led to to things bothering me mentally and I remember one day going to my GP and just venting my frustration. I know that wasn't really for him to listen to but I needed to let it all out and afterwards I felt as if my mind was a tonne lighter.

I really strongly believe in talking to someone you trust, be that a friend, family member or in confidence to a Doctor/counsellor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭runningbuddy

hi folks....have just been prescribed this for severe anxiety and depression....the lowest dose 50mg... Anyone any experience?? Would love some feedback! Cheers

Gael23 wrote: »
    I cant emphasise the importance of talking enough. Theres a saying "a problem shared is a problem halved". I don't suffer with depression but I went through a period of physical illness and that led to to things bothering me mentally and I remember one day going to my GP and just venting my frustration. I know that wasn't really for him to listen to but I needed to let it all out and afterwards I felt as if my mind was a tonne lighter.

I really strongly believe in talking to someone you trust, be that a friend, family member or in confidence to a Doctor/counsellor.

Talking is great when your able to express your feelings. I find with myself though i am very poor at expressing or finding the right words to express my feelings, its like my brain is stuck in neutral.

Talking is great when your able to express your feelings. I find with myself though i am very poor at expressing or finding the right words to express my feelings, its like my brain is stuck in neutral.

What about writing down your feelings.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alogia

poverty of speech

What about writing down your feelings.

I do try writing at times, should do it more often really. But i feel very shut down emotionally or mentally so even then its a struggle.

• Advertisement

Roquentin wrote: »

Thats what i have. Its considered a negative symptom of schizophrenia type illnesses.

Thats what i have. Its considered a negative symptom of schizophrenia type illnesses.

on the schizophrenic spectrum of disorders you would have schizoid, schizotypal and schizoaffective. the first two are not quite the same as full blown schizophrenia and the last one is a combination of bipolar/depression and schizophrenia.

there also is avolition, anhedonia, asociality and flat effect. those are the five main symptoms of of negative schizophrenia

on the schizophrenic spectrum of disorders you would have schizoid, schizotypal and schizoaffective. the first two are not quite the same as full blown schizophrenia and the last one is a combination of bipolar/depression and schizophrenia.

there also is avolition, anhedonia, asociality and flat effect. those are the five main symptoms of of negative schizophrenia

My therapist said i had traits of schizoid personality disorder so it probably comes from that. It really sucks though.

My therapist said i had traits of schizoid personality disorder so it probably comes from that. It really sucks though.

you can only be who you are. you cannot be what you are not. i spent too much time trying to be someone else just to fit in.

you can only be who you are. you cannot be what you are not. i spent too much time trying to be someone else just to fit in.

Yeah thats good advice. Sometimes you got too play the hand you were dealt. and accept yourself the way you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

My mam brought up the subject I've been stuck in a rut saying I do the same thing day in and out which is true to an extent, so I tried opening up saying I don't know what else to do, I don't feel well enough right now for anything else like trying to find a more perminant job etc.. Trying to see would she help me I suppose.. She basically attacked me picking at all my insecurities, telling me to either cop on to myself and find something to do or else ring a counsellor and get myself sorted. I don't feel ready for either of those things yet she just can't see that, says I'm just coming up with excuses. She works every day with mentally ill people but when it comes to her own daughter I guess I just don't count the same as her patients. I don't even know what to do anymore :(

My mam brought up the subject I've been stuck in a rut saying I do the same thing day in and out which is true to an extent, so I tried opening up saying I don't know what else to do, I don't feel well enough right now for anything else like trying to find a more perminant job etc.. Trying to see would she help me I suppose.. She basically attacked me picking at all my insecurities, telling me to either cop on to myself and find something to do or else ring a counsellor and get myself sorted. I don't feel ready for either of those things yet she just can't see that, says I'm just coming up with excuses. She works every day with mentally ill people but when it comes to her own daughter I guess I just don't count the same as her patients. I don't even know what to do anymore :(

Some people refuse to see what is in front of them. Maybe your Mom can't deal with one of her own children having a potential mental illness.

I would suggest visiting your GP to have a chat with them about how you have been feeling lately and maybe together you can come up with some kind of plan. It may be best to talk to someone neutral about your situation.

Some people refuse to see what is in front of them. Maybe your Mom can't deal with one of her own children having a potential mental illness.

I would suggest visiting your GP to have a chat with them about how you have been feeling lately and maybe together you can come up with some kind of plan. It may be best to talk to someone neutral about your situation.

I had been to the gp over my panic attacks, he put me on anti d's but they made things worse so I stopped them, I will have to go back eventually but I'm not ready right now. I actually find that the antihistamines I'm taking for hayfever are really helping for some reason!!

I had been to the gp over my panic attacks, he put me on anti d's but they made things worse so I stopped them, I will have to go back eventually but I'm not ready right now. I actually find that the antihistamines I'm taking for hayfever are really helping for some reason!!

You should really consult a doctor before stopping your medication. I would urge you go and see your doctor.

I'm not sure by what you mean when you say you're not ready. What exactly will make you ready.

• Advertisement

You should really consult a doctor before stopping your medication. I would urge you go and see your doctor.

I'm not sure by what you mean when you say you're not ready. What exactly will make you ready.

I only took it twice and the side effects were severe, I've been off it longer than I was on it now but I'll mention it to him next time I go down.
    I just don't feel mentally strong enough yet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement