Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

I only took it twice and the side effects were severe, I've been off it longer than I was on it now but I'll mention it to him next time I go down.
    I just don't feel mentally strong enough yet.

Sometimes its better to just get it out of the way rather than putting it off.

Applying for jobs today. It is very stressful. I'm not even sure I am looking for jobs in the right sector for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Roquentin wrote: »
    you can only be who you are. you cannot be what you are not. i spent too much time trying to be someone else just to fit in.

Unfortunately you have to try fit in and make your way in this world. People just don't understand or even care about how you feel inside, which is a shame and an injustice to us. If they could truly feel what you feel, they'd eat their ****ing words.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

greenfrogs wrote: »
    Sometimes its better to just get it out of the way rather than putting it off.

Applying for jobs today. It is very stressful. I'm not even sure I am looking for jobs in the right sector for me.

I wish it was that easy to just get it out of the way but I know myself nothing will work unless I'm ready. I was ready before and the help only made things worse so I don't want more meds and it makes it even harder to seek out help. Hopefully I can just get through this bout by myself, I've done it before so fingers crossed.

Hope the job search goes well.

I wish it was that easy to just get it out of the way but I know myself nothing will work unless I'm ready. I was ready before and the help only made things worse so I don't want more meds and it makes it even harder to seek out help. Hopefully I can just get through this bout by myself, I've done it before so fingers crossed.

Hope the job search goes well.

Thanks.

Why did seeking out help makes things worse? Was it the side effects of the medication or were there other problems.

I have been through many dark times. Each time I dealt with them myself except for the last time. Eventually everything got too much and I just broke down. It was a really difficult time. You are right that you have to be ready for this to work. For me I hit rock bottom. I knew I couldn't get myself out of that hole so I looked for help. It sucks that you experienced such bad side effects. You shouldn't have to go through this on your own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

My GP has me taking vitamin D supplements, because apparently there is research that links low levels of vitamin D to low mood. Maybe you could try looking into that as another option than meds SillyMangoX? Also things like yoga and meditation can be useful too. My mum suffers from anxiety and finds yoga very helpful. I keep meaning to look into doing a class, or even just trying to learn from youtube videos but keep putting it off.

• Advertisement

Hey Mongo.

A lot of us can totally relate to what you're saying there.

It's great to hear that you were able to fight this and beat it once before. You should totally be able to do it again. That being said, if you find things tough, there's nothing wrong with seeking some help with it. The help this time around might not have the same negative effect as before.

Hope things start going your way there soon. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

I had been to the gp over my panic attacks, he put me on anti d's but they made things worse so I stopped them, I will have to go back eventually but I'm not ready right now. I actually find that the antihistamines I'm taking for hayfever are really helping for some reason!!

I heard that in america they use anti histamines off label for the treatment off severe anxiety. I think they open up your airways which make breathing easier which helps anxiety.

What sort off side effects were you getting from the anti depressants? It can take up to 3 weeks for them to work and you can feel worse at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

greenfrogs wrote: »
    Why did seeking out help makes things worse? Was it the side effects of the medication or were there other problems.

It was the side effects of the meds really, I was 'coping' before I went on them but felt I needed a little help, then they really intensified the symptoms and made it unbearable. Now I'm back 'coping' but not as well as beforehand!
    My GP has me taking vitamin D supplements, because apparently there is research that links low levels of vitamin D to low mood. Maybe you could try looking into that as another option than meds SillyMangoX? Also things like yoga and meditation can be useful too. My mum suffers from anxiety and finds yoga very helpful. I keep meaning to look into doing a class, or even just trying to learn from youtube videos but keep putting it off.

That's actually something that sounds very interesting about the vitamin D, I might enquire into that! Did you have to get a test or anything first to see if you were deficient?
    Hey Mongo.

A lot of us can totally relate to what you're saying there.

It's great to hear that you were able to fight this and beat it once before. You should totally be able to do it again. That being said, if you find things tough, there's nothing wrong with seeking some help with it. The help this time around might not have the same negative effect as before.

Hope things start going your way there soon. :)

Thanks for that, it's good to even be able to come on here and vent a bit rather than keeping it all balled up inside!
    mg1982 wrote: »
    I heard that in america they use anti histamines off label for the treatment off severe anxiety. I think they open up your airways which make breathing easier which helps anxiety.

What sort off side effects were you getting from the anti depressants? It can take up to 3 weeks for them to work and you can feel worse at the start.

I can def see how they help with the breathing, with me when my anxiety gets bad it feels like I can't fill my lungs and can't control my body properly, after I take the antihistamines I can breathe freely and the sedating effects help me feel like my body is 'working' properly again if that makes sense!

I was getting severe vertigo from them, to the point where i couldn't get off the couch for 4 days and the vertigo makes the panic attacks worse cos it feels like I'm dying or something. Literally even to get to the toilet I had to lie down on the floor and drag myself so if something was causing my body to be like that, I don't want that in my system even if it does take a while for the good effects to kick in! I got the same effects from it last time but not as severely, I actually thought it was a different medication causing it last time but now I know what it is and I don't want it anymore! And that makes me more paranoid about going on other meds too in case they'd have the same effect. I'd be hoping to find some sort of natural thing to help! For the moment camomile tea and antihistamines are really keeping things at bay, today was just a bad day cos of things with my mam!

Thanks for that, it's good to even be able to come on here and vent a bit rather than keeping it all balled up inside!

About 90% of all my posts in here are just me having a good auld moan! Can't beat it! :D

SillyMango - I just got general bloods done and my vit D levels were quite low, so GP suggested it. I'd definitely enquire about it if you're interested.

Any other BPD/traits heads in here - do you find hypomania* a problem? I am high as a kite right now. Racing mind and basically feeling on top of the world. However, I'm also much more impulsive when I'm like this.

(*I say hypomania as I think proper manic episodes last for a couple of weeks at least)

• Advertisement

Any other BPD/traits heads in here - do you find hypomania* a problem? I am high as a kite right now. Racing mind and basically feeling on top of the world. However, I'm also much more impulsive when I'm like this.

(*I say hypomania as I think proper manic episodes last for a couple of weeks at least)

I get that at times. I will get really giddy and get really talkative about total crap and often regret it afterwards, question and judge myself on it then. The comedown can be harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,637 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

We get Vitamin D from sunshine, and as you can guess, most Irish people are probably deficient in it.

A supplement would do no harm for most Irish I'd say.

SillyMango - I just got general bloods done and my vit D levels were quite low, so GP suggested it. I'd definitely enquire about it if you're interested.

I had too come off my anti depressant because it was making me feel this way, I had more energy than i knew what to do with and i felt wired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

Thoughts on psychoanalysis?

I have found it useful myself Scrim. I've seen two different psychoanalysts, one in Sligo and one in Dublin, and found both very good. If anyone wants their names, just send me a PM.

I don't really know how to describe how it works, just that I know it does work. I know I'm obviously still struggling with a lot of stuff (but I think that is more to do with my diagnosis being complex tbh). But I am definitely a much more confident and settled person than I was before I started psychoanalysis.

Thanks. I think that's the type of therapy I'm getting. Just feel a bit like it's stalled at the moment. Must try harder. Good to know it can work though!

It's hard going, especially at first. And results do take a good while to appear. But keep going with it. It really has made a massive difference to my life.

Keep at it Scrim! Just think of all the benefits that it could give you. Best of luck. :)

Just feeling awfully down today. Really sorry for myself.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Hugs for Scrim. It'll pass..

• Advertisement

Just feeling awfully down today. Really sorry for myself.
    Hugs for Scrim. It'll pass..

I second the hugs Scrim! *big squeezy hug*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭heyday30

Hope this feeling passes quickly for you scrim.

thanks everyone. hopefully tomorrow I can dig myself out of a rut.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

It'll come Scrim. Hoping i too will come round a bit.

Same goes for yourself grem of course hope the mood lifts soon.

I hate the feeling of walking a fine line knowing that one wrong step could send you into a downward spiral. Life shouldnt be like this.

I hate the feeling of walking a fine line knowing that one wrong step could send you into a downward spiral. Life shouldnt be like this.

It's tough alright mg. the balancing act can be a bit hard to judge sometimes.

No it shouldn't. *bro-hugs*

Yah I get what you mean. The loss of control is so demoralising.

• Advertisement

It's not fair on either party to stick around when ones feels like that. Best to address it both for your own sake most importantly but also the others.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement