Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Feeling simultaneously great and unable to leave the house. Not afraid, just feel like I physically can't. Work in twenty minutes. Appointment this week (well hopefully had to cancel tomorrow's 'cause I'm working but should be able to get a same day appointment Wednesday) so hopefully recovery (I hate that word it suggests an end point when there is none) can start soon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

chinacup wrote: »
    Well emotional instability is one of the criteria but that alone wouldn't give you a diagnosis of BPD. There are two main diagnostic manuals for BPD/EUPD, the DSM-5 and the ICD-10.

In the DSM:

"a person must meet 5 of 9 criteria to receive a diagnosis of borderline personality disorder. The DSM-5 defines the main features of BPD as a pervasive pattern of instability in interpersonal relationships, self image, and affects(emotions), as well as markedly impulsive behavior"

"In addition, the DSM-5 proposes alternative diagnostic criteria for Borderline personality disorder in section III, "Alternative DSM-5 Model for Personality Disorders." These alternative criteria are based on trait research and include specifying at least four of seven maladaptive traits." -Wikipedia.

Then in the ICD -10 a similar concept of BPD is named as Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder with two types. (I was diagnosed with this, borderline type)

F60.30 Impulsive type
    At least three of the following must be present, one of which must be (2):

marked tendency to act unexpectedly and without consideration of the consequences;
    marked tendency to engage in quarrelsome behavior and to have conflicts with others, especially when impulsive acts are thwarted or criticized;
    liability to outbursts of anger or violence, with inability to control the resulting behavioral explosions;
    difficulty in maintaining any course of action that offers no immediate reward;
    unstable and capricious (impulsive, whimsical) mood.

F60.31 Borderline type
    At least three of the symptoms mentioned in F60.30 Impulsive type must be present [see above], with at least two of the following in addition:

disturbances in and uncertainty about self-image, aims, and internal preferences;
    liability to become involved in intense and unstable relationships, often leading to emotional crisis;
    excessive efforts to avoid abandonment;
    recurrent threats or acts of self-harm;
    chronic feelings of emptiness.
    demonstrates impulsive behavior, e.g., speeding, substance abuse[78]
    The ICD-10 also describes some general criteria that define what is considered a Personality disorder.

- all taken from wiki. Sorry for the long post feel free to PM if you've any more questions. I'll do my best to answer them.

I would definitely have elements of the terms highlighted in bold...

Cheers anyhow for the info. In fairness, the docs never really told me much. You are depressed and have anxiety and i just took the meds. I suspect they didnt tell the full truth. ignorance is bliss

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Yeah i would also have elements of that wiki article, hoping to hear back from hospital sooner rather than later to try get more of a fix on it..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭is mise spartacus

Might need new meds...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Might need new meds...

A doc should always be open to discussion, if not to refer you on.. Hope you're not suffering too badly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭is mise spartacus

A doc should always be open to discussion, if not to refer you on.. Hope you're not suffering too badly.

I'm hanging in there :)

I'm hanging in there :)

Good good, I'll be here or hereabouts for the night so feel free to post or pm..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭Joya

im going to my gp tomorrow so will talk with her and see if she ll continue with the same meds or change something : ) ...

as usual just the thought of change is causing me anxiety : rolleyes:...

I hear ya.. I've to get some stuff that's totally ordinary done in the morning, already trying to put it off. I'll be thinkin of you if that helps at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭Joya

I hear ya.. I've to get some stuff that's totally ordinary done in the morning, already trying to put it off. I'll be thinkin of you if that helps at all.

it certanly does, thanks :-)))

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

I think I'm actually frightened at the thought of changing medication. Things aren't rosy at all here however this current combination of medication is the "best" yet: I still have plenty of issues but they allow me to function mostly out and about in the world. I'd be cautious myself that a change in meds would have me back in 100% hermit mode again.

Am so glad Monday is over. It was a real "Monday" Monday today in work. Tuesdays can be rather poopy too. Fingers crossed not though.

Hope not Hugo, don't worry too much about meds right now. Functional is a good level in fairness.. Do you do any other therapy?

Sixty mg prozac, hundred mg seroquel

Do you do any other therapy?

I did CBT about nine years back. This was before I was prescribed any medication so I didn't really take it all in properly at the time. I attended counselling a few times too.

Presently I'm not doing any other therapy. I'm kept so busy with working shifts that I haven't really been able to look into any. My psychiatrist keeps on offering me a place at an anxiety/stress clinic but I've turned it down due to my working hours etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

150Mg effexor, 50 mg seoquel.

I have brain fog last few days

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I did CBT about nine years back. This was before I was prescribed any medication so I didn't really take it all in properly at the time. I attended counselling a few times too.

Presently I'm not doing any other therapy. I'm kept so busy with working shifts that I haven't really been able to look into any. My psychiatrist keeps on offering me a place at an anxiety/stress clinic but I've turned it down due to my working hours etc.
    It might be a good idea to try to fit the clinic in somehow. Is your employer aware of your condition?

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    Is your employer aware of your condition?

They're not. I haven't dared to let them know as I'm only there on a contract i.e. extremely expendable.

They're not. I haven't dared to let them know as I'm only there on a contract i.e. extremely expendable.
    Check out the times/length of session of the clinic.

It could be for physiotherapy, chiropractic etc.

Also, ask the doctor if there are clinic times which do not clash with your working hours.

Not your ornery onager

I was able to swap a shift so I always have the same day of the week free as hospital would normally have appointments for. Done quietly too.

I was able to swap a shift so I always have the same day of the week free as hospital would normally have appointments for. Done quietly too.

you have to be carefull with who you tell.

• Advertisement

I usually just take the full day off using holiday hours for attending clinics (once every 3 months or so). I see it as a mini treat that breaks up the working week :)

shezer wrote: »
    What is seroquel for? Thanks
    Starting at 25mg Lustral. 5mg Cipramil used knock me out. Low doses I know but the side effects are a nightmare
    One thing to be aware of regarding side-effects, especially in the initial period of taking the medication, is they are often/usually short-term i.e. they go away soon.

Another thing with some drugs - if they are available in extended-release form, many of the side-effects do not occur or are nowhere as severe.

Not your ornery onager

Recently I have been thinking about trying to make myself have a mania episode. It's been years since I had a severe one. It would be so good to be back in the mania feeling for a while and would help me get my backlog of work done.
    It's just so dangerous as I would not be able to control myself once I start a mania episode.
    Don't all should at once as I am forcing myself not to go down that route. It's just I can't stop thinking about it.

I usually just take the full day off using holiday hours for attending clinics (once every 3 months or so). I see it as a mini treat that breaks up the working week :)

yea i wouldnt be too quick to let them know your private heath matters. There is a still a **** load of stigma and employers are ruthless in terms of what they demand from employees. The professional environment is tough

I didn't say anything I just offered to work a different shift that is possibly less attractive and was taken up on it..

Roquentin wrote: »
    yea i wouldnt be too quick to let them know your private heath matters. There is a still a **** load of stigma and employers are ruthless in terms of what they demand from employees. The professional environment is tough

Yeah I wouldn't be too keen to be offering up details.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Recently I have been thinking about trying to make myself have a mania episode. It's been years since I had a severe one. It would be so good to be back in the mania feeling for a while and would help me get my backlog of work done.
    It's just so dangerous as I would not be able to control myself once I start a mania episode.
    Don't all should at once as I am forcing myself not to go down that route. It's just I can't stop thinking about it.

Just curious, how would you force yourself into a manic episode? Psychologically?

Yeah I wouldn't be too keen to be offering up details.
    Lower back problems are 'good', unless your work involves a lot of bending/lifting...

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭manyoung

Looking for some advice. For the past couple of years I fear that I may have anxiety. However I am also very shy, so am unsure whether I am just bad with people or have anxiety. When a social event comes up that I cannot avoid, I tend to think these irrational thoughts of what might happen and, as a result of watching too many cartoons as a kid, believe that I will be left alone and judged. There are several other things and I tend to avoid going out because I'm afraid of certain things happening. I fear I also have a very mild case of OCD. I got sick in about third year and kept getting colds. I adapted to washing my hands frequently and now have cracked hands.I am now very cautious about washing my hands before I eat anything and can't stop! However it is the ridiculous thoughts that come into my head that bug me. As I have said it is very mild but am looking for advice whether or not to go to the doctor about it. I went a couple of months ago and mentioned it and he suggested I come back during the summer (I had the LC to focus on). However, he mentioned CBT and after rehearsing it weeks ago, it scares me. He also mentioned medication, but would these be more harm to my body than good? I'm starting college soon and suppose am wondering whether this is worth treating? The reason I say this is because I know there are people out there who have severe issues with anxiety and don't want to be making a big thing out of my own potentially small issues. I'm not sure if this big paragraph is in the right thread, but I would appreciate advice. Thanks.

• Advertisement

Just curious...
    Not sure if this a good branch to climb in this thread.

How's it going these days CMJ, btw? :) Recent posts of yours have been fairly positive, which I genuinely thought was great for you.

Not your ornery onager

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement